INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

vishnugupt

Country flag
Guys, any chance if MCIWS (called AAR now I think) might be resurrected in light of the new AATMANIRBHAR announcement ? I really wish it is and atleast makes it to the para military (like jvpc). I have lost hope of IA ever supporting such things. And we must not blame IA alone for their lack of confidence in OFB after the bad quality of INSAS ! Atleast the AAR design should be given free to SSS or other pvt industry so that they can produce a quality rifle.
Aatmnirbhar!! Armed forces know this matra from decades they dont 'Nirbhar' on govt. pension so they has been taking kick back to make ATMNIRBHAR their generations to come.
Secondly, Foot soldiers earned paramount respect from everyone and at least they deserve a better rifle, a Helmet and a Armor that's why IA pursued government to buy SIG Sauer 716i, AK 203 and CAR816

vampyrbladez

Country flag
Aatmnirbhar!! Armed forces know this matra from decades they dont 'Nirbhar' on govt. pension so they has been taking kick back to make ATMNIRBHAR their generations to come.
Secondly, Foot soldiers earned paramount respect from everyone and at least they deserve a better rifle, a Helmet and a Armor that's why IA pursued government to buy SIG Sauer 716i, AK 203 and CAR816

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
Guys, any chance if MCIWS (called AAR now I think) might be resurrected in light of the new AATMANIRBHAR announcement ? I really wish it is and atleast makes it to the para military (like jvpc). I have lost hope of IA ever supporting such things. And we must not blame IA alone for their lack of confidence in OFB after the bad quality of INSAS ! Atleast the AAR design should be given free to SSS or other pvt industry so that they can produce a quality rifle.
There was a recent paper by DRDO on ergonomic design of assault rifles, where they showed schematics on the new version of MCIWS.
gNlHPH2.png

vampyrbladez

Country flag

OFB Close quarter carbine.
Some suggestions :

1) Change the butt stock to something similar to a MAGPUL Zukhov style one.

The Zhukov is typical Magpul quality polymer capped off with a rubber butplate. There are multiple sling attachment points, and a large user friendly latch to easily fold the stock. The rear features a very minimalist pivot latch which is hard to spot. This latch allows you to adjust the length of pull from 12.2 to 14.8 inches fully extended.
http://www.thenewrifleman.com/the-magpul-zhukov-folding-stock-review/

2) Use Galil style iron sights which can function as BUIS (Back Up Iron Sights) instead of the crude INSAS ones.

Vs

3) Change that awful pistol grip to a more modern and better suited off shelf solution.

4) Change the FNC style muzzle device and allow for user preferences.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/ak-muzzle-device-test-part-1-recoil-reduction/

5) Add a semi magazine well for the OFB Carbine in the style of the Galil ACE. This will reduce the 'rattling' effect seen in the INSAS magazine which leads to 'failure to feed' issues.

6) Picantinny rail attachment must be refined to have no break in between at the gas port. Refer to the previous image for such a configuration.

Congratulations OFB! Now you have a bonafide off brand Galil ACE!

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
OFB DRDO aforesaid CQB Carbine is basically SIG 550/551 Series Equivalent

MCIWS/AAR of DRDO is basically HK 416/SIG 516 equivalent

But interest & orders from Army NIL. Import hi Import.

vampyrbladez

Country flag
Some suggestions :

2) Use Galil style iron sights which can function as BUIS (Back Up Iron Sights) instead of the crude INSAS ones.

Vs

3) Change that awful pistol grip to a more modern and better suited off shelf solution.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/ak-muzzle-device-test-part-1-recoil-reduction/

5) Add a semi magazine well for the OFB Carbine in the style of the Galil ACE. This will reduce the 'rattling' effect seen in the INSAS magazine which leads to 'failure to feed' issues.

6) Picantinny rail attachment must be refined to have no break in between at the gas port. Refer to the previous image for such a configuration.

Any updates on this issue being sorted out?

All spent cartridges are automatically deformed
This is an amazing adaptation! All spent cartridges automatically get deformed thus defeating all ideas of reloading of spent INSAS cartridges. I guess this enables the armed forces to immediatedly sell the spent brass as junk without having to go through the hassles of having to manually deform them by having a road roller go over them. Jokes apart, It looks like the empty cartridge slams against the rear lip of the ejection port thus getting deformed in the process of ejection. This would mean there is a timing fault in the ejection mechanisim. Spent cartridges get thrown 15 – 30 ft. infront of the shooter. Also as can be seen in the photo, the lip of the magazine is too far down and as the mouth of the chamber is devoid of any kind of channel, The armourer claims that cartridges often hit the mouth of the chamber and get deformed thus leadin to loading problems before they enter the chamber.
https://indiansforguns.com/viewtopic.php?t=2612&start=105

@Unknowncommando 2 remember those failure to feed videos we were talking about a few weeks back with the Assam Police commando's videos?

vampyrbladez

Country flag
Some suggestions :

Vs

Points 1, 2 and 3 can be easily executed by OFB as demonstrated in the JVPC and MCIWS program.

1) MCIWS (Butt Stock)

2) JVPC (Iron Sights)

3) MCIWS (Pistol Grip)

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Eh. It's such shame what a product like that will become from their bad quality control. But maybe if this corporatisaton makes any difference... HAL made crap too, now look at Tejas fit & finish! These aint bad either.
View attachment 48105
NATO. Ghatak passed it years ago. This is the 7.62×51 on the right.
View attachment 48103
I think I read their bullseye is of 3 inch, to be shot from 50 m away. Someone else may confirm.
Bull's Eye is Sand Ki Aankh of 3 inches and the rifle is fired by placing the barrel on bull's eye ??? .....:pound:

Firing at bull's eye speaks about the capability of the firer and not of the weapon..... capability to fire exactly at the point of aim after the weapon is zeroed...

The weapon accuracy along with ammunition stability would be measured in terms of half the beaten zone or size of the group when fired clamped on a stand... which reflects more on ammunition and external variables...

[--Flamebait Redacted--]

Last edited by a moderator:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Indian Armed Forces have adopted three calibers, namely 7.62 X 51 (SIG SAUR and LMG, MMG), 7.62 X 39 (AK) and 5.56 X 45 for Carbines. That means OFB will not be out of the trade as they will continue to supply their (faulty) ammunition from their assembly lines.... business as usual.....

What is the use of making things which the Army soldiers just do not like and they have no confidence in... If this is not treason then what is it ??

vampyrbladez

Country flag
Apparently the Nepalese Army hates the INSAS. Still use old M16A1/A2s over it.

Mass-produced in 1997 by the state-run Ordnance Factories Board (OFB), the INSAS first saw combat in 1999 during the three-month-long Kargil War between India and Pakistan. It immediately began to show problems: according to The New Indian Express, soldiers reported that the weapons frequently jammed, had select-fire problems, and that the polymer magazines cracked in the high-altitude cold. But that wasn't all.

The INSAS' tendency to overheat and otherwise malfunction was blamed for the deaths of 43 Nepalese soldiers after a base near Kathmandu was overrun by Maoist rebels in 2005. In a statement to reporters following the assault, Brigadier-General Deepak Gurung of the Royal Nepalese Army said, "Soldiers complained that the INSAS rifles did not function properly during the fighting, which lasted for a long time... Maybe the weapons we were using were not designed for a long fight. They malfunctioned."

I spoke to Chris Erickson, a former Green Beret and U.S. Special Forces Weapons Sergeant, about his experiences with the INSAS' lack of reliability.

"I have personally observed a Nepalese SOF (Special Operations Forces) arms room where INSAS rifles (were) in extremely good condition gathering dust, while troops were carrying extremely worn M-16s," Erickson said. "The commandos said that the rifles had not been used in years, due to being extremely unreliable during the Nepalese civil war with communist guerrillas. When I took one of the weapons down to the range, it began having extremely frequent jams after no more than two magazines (60 rounds) being fired through it. The weapon was taken down again, cleaned, and NATO ammunition was again fired through it to the same results."

"It just didn't work, but I could see how it looked like a great idea on the drawing board." – Chris Erickson, Former Green Beret
http://insights.getglobal.co/india-seeks-to-replace-insas-rifle

vampyrbladez

Country flag
Yea, because the INSAS's India gifted/sold them ended up failing during a massive firefight between them and Maoists - leading to most of their guys getting killed.
Now most of their army has either old M16s or INSAS. Our chaps will have Sig Sauer 716i and M1F41 / TAR / AK 203.

Genius idea by OFB to sabotage the enemy before the fight.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles