INSAS Excalibur In Person

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Excalibur muscle for Bengal police
Kolkata: Police forces from several states, including West Bengal, have turned to Rifle Factory Ishapore (RFI) to modernise their armoury.
While West Bengal has placed orders for 292 Excalibur rifles, 500 pistols (9mm) and 66 pump-action guns, RFI will supply 2,000 Ghaatak rifles to police in eight states, including Maharashtra, Assam, Bihar, Tamil Nadu, Kerala and Nagaland. Maharashtra has ordered the bulk of these weapons that match the AK series of assault rifles.
"Based on our experiences and user feedback, we made changes to the originally designed Excalibur rifle. The 5.56mm calibre weapon can now be used in single-shot or automatic mode. We have done away with the burst-fire mode as this was causing jamming of rounds in some of the rifles. The West Bengal order for this weapon is worth Rs 1.78 crore. In 2016-17, we have an all-time high order for 9 mm pistols. We will be making and delivering nearly 30,000 of these to security forces across the country," said Ratneshwar Varma, general manager, RFI.
RFI, which won the Golden Peacock Occupational Health & Safety Award for 2016, is also working on a corner-shot rifle for the armed forces. Such rifles can shoot around corners without exposing the soldier to the enemy. According to Varma, the hardware for this weapon is ready and work is under way to integrate the electronic parts. The factory has also delivered components of a multi-calibre rifle to Armament Research & Development Establishment. This DRDO lab will assemble the components, test the weapon and get back to RFI.
"Ghaatak was originally of 5.56mm calibre. We scaled it up to 7.62 mm x 39 mm calibre. The large calibre makes it an ideal weapon for close-quarter combat and counter-terrorist operations. On August 10, BSF and CRPF teams will arrive at the factory to try out the Ghaatak," said C Kamal Kumar, joint general manager, RFI.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Unexpected at best, Again... :)

==============
==============

Unlike what i saw previously in 2014, The new Excalibur 2015 looks more of a flushed design of much like improved 1B1 but with notable differences in receiver design, Hand guard comes with its own built in quad-rails, Its barrel is now little shorter by 3mm, With new muzzle brake and new folding stock made of metal, It retain other features of both Excalibur and 1B1 improved

Unlike former design this design has a quad rail built in on hand guard, And fiber quality is much better than its former design too.

Now lets see some details in selector switch, S for semi auto, R for safety and A for automatic, This is same with former design, But much cleaner without much rebids around.

The pistol grip is retain from former design, Its simple and large and wide for gripping.

Here the Rifle is in folded butt configuration, To be frank the size in this configuration was lesser its previous form but the folding stock is now in metal, This is perfect and impressive in CQB ops, where fighting is in tight corners

AbRaj

Country flag
Built quality seems much improved from previous version . Hope it gets inducted soon

airtel

Country flag

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Take the news with pinch of salt, Excalibur and Ghatak were always meant for stop gap solution until MCIWS gets its clearance, These people twisted development events in bad light and now projecting it in this way, Excalibur was never rejected after new government took charge. Army chief of Indian army testify this on national media.

Their are countless RFI including for new pistol and mortar and marine rifles etc, Which are launched and cancelled, If Army intend to go for 7.62nato then its why their is ongoing trails of both MCIWS and Excalibur and money and time for research and development of MCIWS and Excalibur under Army itself, Besides the biggest flaw here is MCIWS stands for multi caliber individual weapon system.

airtel

Country flag
Take the news with pinch of salt, Excalibur and Ghatak were always meant for stop gap solution until MCIWS gets its clearance, These people twisted development events in bad light and now projecting it in this way, Excalibur was never rejected after new government took charge. Army chief of Indian army testify this on national media.

sir any new update of MCIWS ? any new upgrade ?? Also any new photo of AR 2 ??

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Their are countless RFI including for new pistol and mortar and marine rifles etc, Which are launched and cancelled,
When were they cancelled?

Or rather

on which website is the cancellation info available?

I don't think cancellation info is available on eprocure.gov.in site.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
When i went to OFB stall, after going through all products. I told them, its good to see them putting latest things on rifle to kerp up with other contemporary rifles. I told them keep up the good work. They just smiled.

Predator707

Thanks Kunal Sir for such awesomely detailed pics, but i have a question as you had hands on the riffles.

1 - Can we remove the muzzle break ?
2 - can we fit suppressors on it ?
3 - How much the riffle weight in comparison to INSAS 1B and 1B1 ?
4 - Do the stock is comfortable ?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Yes, Muzzle break can be removed and they have suppressor for it, Excalibur MK1C is definitely shorter and lighter than older 1B1 and 1B, By 500 grams empty weighted ..

I liked the older fold-able fiber stock, But due to durability reason the metal stock is adopted ..

Thanks Kunal Sir for such awesomely detailed pics, but i have a question as you had hands on the riffles.

1 - Can we remove the muzzle break ?
2 - can we fit suppressors on it ?
3 - How much the riffle weight in comparison to INSAS 1B and 1B1 ?
4 - Do the stock is comfortable ?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
No, you cannot know about its cancellation information on open source.
Is it that the RFI's have been released pre-DPP 2016, and cancelled after New DPP 2016 came into effect?

If so , it is understandable..
if not, IA has still some way to go before stream lining their procurement processes.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles