Indian Air Force Light Combat Aircraft Tejas India's Second Supersonic Fighter

aarav

जय परशुराम‍।
Country flag
First video of the Tejas light combat aircraft 'wet refuel' done midair. Has tick marked a critical requirement.

The buddy refueling through Flankers will also be an important milestone

Reactions: Kay

HariPrasad-1

Country flag

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
One by one , critical technologies getting realized. Now , if we master AESA and engine, we can indigenized whole ecosystem of fighter plane. We should Invest some more money to push this work so that we may get it faster and avoid costly purchases.
refueling probe of Tejas was manufactured by cobham UK.

lcafanboy

Country flag
One by one , critical technologies getting realized. Now , if we master AESA and engine, we can indigenized whole ecosystem of fighter plane. We should Invest some more money to push this work so that we may get it faster and avoid costly purchases.
AESA rradaris already mastered and is being ground tested and will soon be integrated on PV-2 and even GaN AESA is within reach as TRs have been made by 2022 we will have matured GaN AESA radar UTTAM.

Only jet engine technology is elusive from the zigsaw. Although we may test Kaveri engine next year with help of SAFRAN, it will be at least a generation behind the western standard and only 90kn power not enough for modern fighters in single engined fighters and even twin engine 5th generation fighters.

Advaidhya Tiwari

refueling probe of Tejas was manufactured by cobham UK.
Even the radar radome was made by Cobham. But it was indigenised in 3 years. The probe will also be indigenised once the testing is satisfactory. Tests are always done on off the shelf items to reduce development time. If the test is failed, you can simply change the vendor of the off the shelf items and get another one with the right design quickly

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Only jet engine technology is elusive from the zigsaw. Although we may test Kaveri engine next year with help of SAFRAN, it will be at least a generation behind the western standard and only 90kn power not enough for modern fighters in single engined fighters and even twin engine 5th generation fighters.
What you are talking is about K9. We may go ahead with K10 with more power. Dry thrust is also very important and MTOW of any plane exclusively depends on Dry thrust. It is a time we start mentioning dry thrust as well. design change in compressor and change in metallurgy will make kaveri contemporary engine.

Enquirer

Even the radar radome was made by Cobham. But it was indigenised in 3 years. The probe will also be indigenised once the testing is satisfactory. Tests are always done on off the shelf items to reduce development time. If the test is failed, you can simply change the vendor of the off the shelf items and get another one with the right design quickly
Which division of DRDO is working on refueling probe indegenization?
Also, who's building quartz radome in India if it's already indegenized?

Reactions: G10

Advaidhya Tiwari

Which division of DRDO is working on refueling probe indegenization?
Also, who's building quartz radome in India if it's already indegenized?
I am not sure of refueling probe. Since the refueling success was only recent, I don't think DRDO has yet finalised the correct design and started developing it. But, since Su30 also has refueling probe, I think India already has the know how of making it. It is just that the dimensions of the probe differs for different aircraft and hence better tested with off the shelf product

DRDO has already given ToT for silicon pressed radome technology to manufacturers - "Mishra Dhatu Nigam Limited" & "Central Electronics Limited" - 5 months back:

https://defenceforumindia.com/forum...-news-and-discussion.55/page-204#post-1440174

Enquirer

I am not sure of refueling probe. Since the refueling success was only recent, I don't think DRDO has yet finalised the correct design and started developing it. But, since Su30 also has refueling probe, I think India already has the know how of making it. It is just that the dimensions of the probe differs for different aircraft and hence better tested with off the shelf product
So, you were merely speculating that DRDO must have the tech!!!
Rest assured, all of Tejas will be using the imported refueling probes!

DRDO has already given ToT for silicon pressed radome technology to manufacturers - "Mishra Dhatu Nigam Limited" & "Central Electronics Limited" - 5 months back:

https://defenceforumindia.com/forum...-news-and-discussion.55/page-204#post-1440174
The question was not about any random radome, but the quartz radome for Tejas - which is provided by Cobham!!!
DRDO had initially fitted Tejas with its own composite radome, but it was found to be have affected the range. As such, quartz radome from Cobham was chosen.

kamaal

Country flag
Thanks to the Almighty!!!

Now I want to hear one last sentence "Kaveri tested successfully on LCA", before my grand-kids see the day light.:balleballe:

proud_indian

Country flag
So, you were merely speculating that DRDO must have the tech!!!
Rest assured, all of Tejas will be using the imported refueling probes!

The question was not about any random radome, but the quartz radome for Tejas - which is provided by Cobham!!!
DRDO had initially fitted Tejas with its own composite radome, but it was found to be have affected the range. As such, quartz radome from Cobham was chosen.
same with @Kshithij guy who claim we make engines of SU-30 100 here from raw material

Advaidhya Tiwari

same with @Kshithij guy who claim we make engines of SU-30 100 here from raw material
This was confirmed by officially by HAL. It does not take a genius to read news. Kshithij or anyone else can read news. Here is the source that Su30 is made in HAL from raw material:

HAL's Sukhoi Engine Division hands over 50th AL31FP engine to IAF

The 50th AL31FP engine manufactured from the raw material stage by the Sukhoi Engine Division of HAL (Koraput) has been handed over to the IAF in Delhi as part of the 70th year celebrations of the India Russia diplomatic relationship.

“The AL31FP engine powers the Su30 MKI and has been manufactured from the raw material stage by HAL. All the components, including heavy forgings, are manufactured at HAL,” said T Suvarna Raju, CMD.

He handed over documents related to the 50th Raw Material Phase Engine of the Su-30MKI to Air Marshal S.B. Deo, VCAS.

On the occasion, a coffee table book to commemorate 70 years of co-operation between HAL and Russian companies was also released by A. K. Gupta, Secretary (DP).

Speaking on the occasion Gupta said India has received whole-hearted support for the Russian platforms and such support was important for strengthening bilateral ties.

Kshithij

DharmaYoddha
You should change your name from proud-Indian to Proud_idiot. You should first do some basic research of the point I made instead of acting like a loudmouth.

See the above guy has given the source for the same. In fact, there have been confirmations from IAF official twitter handle too that Su30 received full ToT. I can't just get the tweet now. But the news of Su30 engine being made from raw materials is readily available on google.

HAL website also says that HAL Koraput is one of the few units in the world that makes aero engines:
https://hal-india.co.in/Engine Division Koraput/M__138

Kshithij

DharmaYoddha

This is a missile radome, not Tejas radome.

By the way, this is a new thread for LCA and the previous one has been locked! This is a new development for me. I had been out of action for some time.

Enquirer

You should change your name from proud-Indian to Proud_idiot. You should first do some basic research of the point I made instead of acting like a loudmouth.

See the above guy has given the source for the same. In fact, there have been confirmations from IAF official twitter handle too that Su30 received full ToT. I can't just get the tweet now. But the news of Su30 engine being made from raw materials is readily available on google.

HAL website also says that HAL Koraput is one of the few units in the world that makes aero engines:
https://hal-india.co.in/Engine Division Koraput/M__138
This is a missile radome, not Tejas radome.

By the way, this is a new thread for LCA and the previous one has been locked! This is a new development for me. I had been out of action for some time.
@Dovah
You locked a thread but left the vermins loose :), who always pretend to be innocent as a new born baby while spewing venom!!

This guy's on my 'ignore' list. But once in a while I do the mistake of exercising 'show ignored content' and lo behold I regret instantly!

Global Defence

New threads

Articles