India successfully test-fires supersonic interceptor missile

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Informed sources. Which informed sources?
It has said missile was failed, failed and failed but didn't provide any logic, base, or proof.
Indian media and their informed sources. :pound:
Probably pappu gandhi called them and said "I'm informed and highly placed". The reporter fell for it.

Chinmoy

Country flag
I will be more satisfied if the AAD PAD gets success in intercepting the Agni series of missiles and a qasi Ballistic Saurya , in Terminal Phase. Till then it will not be in operational status.
Just got a wild thought from it.............. Can't we modify Shaurya to act as an ABM?
I mean it is hypersonic in stages and if we could retain its full range of 700 km or even if it gets trimmed down to 500 in modification, it would be hell of a SAM.
Experts.................. any suggestion???????????????

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
Just got a wild thought from it.............. Can't we modify Shaurya to act as an ABM?
I mean it is hypersonic in stages and if we could retain its full range of 700 km or even if it gets trimmed down to 500 in modification, it would be hell of a SAM.
Experts.................. any suggestion???????????????
it will be too costly weapon doing nothing but similar what current ABM is doing or SAM at much lower cost. What you need is accuracy and altitude. Shaurya's limited to 40km only. It can engage targets below that but then you have to replace it with homing radar which requires a lot of power to operate.

At mach 7 , 0.0000001 m error, such accuracy is currently not possible in atmosphere.

Last edited:

Chinmoy

Country flag
it will be too costly weapon doing nothing but similar what current ABM is doing or SAM at much lower cost. What you need is accuracy and altitude. Shaurya's limited to 40km only. It can engage targets below that but then you have to replace it with homing radar which requires a lot of power to operate.

At mach 7 , 0.0000001 m error, such accuracy is currently not possible in atmosphere.
Accuracy and altitude.............. two most important feature of any SAM. But thats what I meant by modification. Right now Shaurya is a BM and its maximum lift would be 40km, as you said, because of this fact. But can't it be modified and be turned into the likes of S-300?

Although it would be a costly game, but none of the SAM is cheap if you compare them with their ballistic counterpart. Apart from active homing RADAR, it could make use of INS for initial guidance and IIR or mmW homing radar like that of NAG. Even X band nose mounted RADAR could assist it in terminal phase.

Anyway if you could modify it to act as an SAM, a ground based targeting RADAR could guide it to target. As for hypersonic speed, it doesn't remain hypersonic in its whole flight time. It remains hypersonic only in phase. So we could say that it would be a supersonic in its terminal phase.

Anyway its just a thought on my part and I am no APJ Abdul Kalam :biggrin2:. Anyway thanks for replying though :yo:

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
Accuracy and altitude.............. two most important feature of any SAM. But thats what I meant by modification. Right now Shaurya is a BM and its maximum lift would be 40km, as you said, because of this fact. But can't it be modified and be turned into the likes of S-300?

Although it would be a costly game, but none of the SAM is cheap if you compare them with their ballistic counterpart. Apart from active homing RADAR, it could make use of INS for initial guidance and IIR or mmW homing radar like that of NAG. Even X band nose mounted RADAR could assist it in terminal phase.

Anyway if you could modify it to act as an SAM, a ground based targeting RADAR could guide it to target. As for hypersonic speed, it doesn't remain hypersonic in its whole flight time. It remains hypersonic only in phase. So we could say that it would be a supersonic in its terminal phase.

Anyway its just a thought on my part and I am no APJ Abdul Kalam :biggrin2:. Anyway thanks for replying though :yo:
The max flight velocity of s400 is mach 5, and AAD is 4.5 not a big difference.

The point is not about it's speed, but only accuracy , reaction time and detection at certain speed.

I would say opposite , keep it hypersonic in mid flight and reduce the speed in terminal phase, so that accuracy is increased.

One way could be utilising the speed of target rather increasing the speed of interceptor. But then, you are taking chance and trusting that it is 100% accurate.

Last edited:

Chinmoy

Country flag
The max flight velocity of s400 is mach 5, and AAD is 4.5 not a big difference.

The point is not about it's speed, but only accuracy , reaction time and detection at certain speed.

I would say opposite , keep it hypersonic in mid flight and reduce the speed in terminal phase, so that accuracy is increased.

One way could be utilising the speed of target rather increasing the speed of interceptor. But then, you are taking chance and trusting that it is 100% accurate.
This is what I am saying........... None of the SAM is 100% accurate. While speed of S400 and AAD are same, the big difference is the range. Speed could be managed, but could we increase the flight altitude of Shaurya? This is the main question.

If altitude could be managed, then I think with the ongoing development in RADAR and SEEKER tech, we could make it an effective SAM in lieu with S300 or 400 instead of keeping it as a mediocre BM in our arsenal.

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
This is what I am saying........... None of the SAM is 100% accurate. While speed of S400 and AAD are same, the big difference is the range. Speed could be managed, but could we increase the flight altitude of Shaurya? This is the main question.

If altitude could be managed, then I think with the ongoing development in RADAR and SEEKER tech, we could make it an effective SAM in lieu with S300 or 400 instead of keeping it as a mediocre BM in our arsenal.

very serious modification will be required for Shaurya.. Like sudden de acceleration without damaging the sophisticated electronics and the body, Mach 7 to Mach 5/4. You can increase the altitude, that's not a problem. Change the fuel and use more composites. Reduce the payload. Do few tests. ;)

One very good advantage would be it could be launched from submarine too. Only this is why I would like Shaurya to be ABM. Otherwise, it's a very costly deal.

Chinmoy

Country flag
very serious modification will be required for Shaurya.. Like sudden de acceleration without damaging the sophisticated electronics and the body, Mach 7 to Mach 5/4. You can increase the altitude, that's not a problem. Change the fuel and use more composites. Reduce the payload. Do few tests. ;)

One very good advantage would be it could be launched from submarine too. Only this is why I would like Shaurya to be ABM. Otherwise, it's a very costly deal.
Now Shaurya doesn't make use of RAMJET or SCRAMJET engine, it is powered by rocket engine only. So it could be launched at relatively low speed and instead of sudden speed change if a gradual deaccelaration is done, I dont see any reason why its electronics would be impacted.

Moreover, if it could be done, then I think it would be much cheaper then going for S-400 or asking for ToT. :)

Chinmoy

Country flag
Moreover its a SILO based system. Think if we could do all the needed modification (!) and then could deliver it from canister.
PDV and AAD are already TEL based system. If these two could also be fired from canister. Then we would have a three tier defence in one single unit. Shaurya for extreme long range, PDV for Exo-atmospheric and AAD for Endo-atmospheric interception.

WOW.................... I have such a vivid imagination running wild...........:scared2:

Country flag
Informed sources. Which informed sources?
It has said missile was failed, failed and failed but didn't provide any logic, base, or proof.
Indian media and their informed sources. :pound:
I am always surprised how idiotic opinions. become headlines. It 's been happening worldwide probably since the beginning of media

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
Now Shaurya doesn't make use of RAMJET or SCRAMJET engine, it is powered by rocket engine only. So it could be launched at relatively low speed and instead of sudden speed change if a gradual deaccelaration is done, I dont see any reason why its electronics would be impacted.

Moreover, if it could be done, then I think it would be much cheaper then going for S-400 or asking for ToT. :)
S400 is a requirement because we don't have any missile to fill the gap for the next half decade. If works starts now then we can expect something in 2020.

Chinmoy

Country flag
S400 is a requirement because we don't have any missile to fill the gap for the next half decade. If works starts now then we can expect something in 2020.
No doubt in that. But if we could do these modifications, then we could have something to supplement S-400.

But the thing is...... Could it be done?

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
No doubt in that. But if we could do these modifications, then we could have something to supplement S-400.

But the thing is...... Could it be done?
it can be done, but i doubt. If the budget will be allocated for experiment.

harsh

Country flag
Ignore Yellow Journalism, Here's Why DRDO Matters?

The recent test-firing of the Indian supersonic Interceptor missile, which was part of the Defence Research and Development Organisation's (DRDO) multi-layered Ballistic Missile Defence system, was not successful, despite claims to the contrary by the organisation, The Hindu reported, citing informed sources. TS Subramanian who reported this story is a veteran journalist of considerable repute. It was shocking for me to note this story, naturally I wanted to get to the crux of the matter, so I quickly got in touch with some of my contacts in the Defence sector to verify this story, however, contrary to the report the officials stated that no such calamity had occurred and the test went of well just as DRDO had planned.

Interestingly, they also cited that this could probably be the handiwork of a senior disgruntled employee(s), as simmering discontent, corruption, nepotism, favoritism inflated egos and political dynamics has become the part and parcel of DRDO's work culture just as in any other organisation. In December 2014, the Parliament Standing Committee on defence had rapped up DRDO for its shoddy research, inordinate delays, corruption, nepotism and its fancy for reverse engineering

Three major complaints against Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) then Chief Avinash Chander, including two anonymous ones, were pending before the Prime Minister's Office in November 2014, when he was given a contract of 16 months on his retirement. It was reliably learnt that investigations into the complaints went against him and thus he was summarily sacked two months after the extension in service.

Misinformation is the common technique used by such disgruntled elements and it is sad that this was picked up by a reputed national publication very much in haste without proper verification. However, the damage has been minimal as the government has accepted the actualities. Besides, DRDO has been over the years completely reliable in their announcements and no suspicion can fall on them, if a planned test had been a failure they have reported it accordingly. At least, the current government will never accept such deceit from India's premier defence organisation, as this government to my mind believes in total transparency in its operations.

Defence Research & Development Organisation: Recent Achievements at a Glance

DRDO has made many significant achievements during the recent past, including the last year. Many important systems were inducted/accepted by the services. The production value of systems based on technologies developed by DRDO (inducted/accepted/orders placed) during the past one decade is well over Rs.1,10,000/- crores.

Agni, the 3500 km range ballistic missile was successfully launched with user’s participation. Training flights were held by the users for various missiles that are already inducted. These included two flight tests each of Agni – I, Agni – II and Dhanush (from naval ships) and Six flights of Prithvi II (P– II) which includes the latest being conducted on 18th May 2016 . Orders worth over Rs. 25,000 crores for surface-to-air missile- AKASH have been placed by the users. These include 8 squadron for IAF and 2 regiments for the Army.

Successful flight tests of Endo-Atmospheric Interceptor for 2,000 km class target were carried out and the most recent on 15th May, 2016. Each flight led to a direct target hit and disintegration of the target.

Capabilities of NAG, the third generation anti-tank missile, which is a vehicle mounted system was demonstrated in a series of user trials. Advanced versions of BrahMos supersonic cruise missile, the only one of its kind in the world, were developed and flight-tested. Thus, BrahMos block II with target discrimination precision strike capabilities was test-fired. Similarly, BrahMos block III with capability for steep diving from high altitudes and high maneuvers at multiple points during supersonic flight. Development of advanced missile systems is a continuous effort and requires systematic development of more and more advanced technologies. RLG based Inertial Navigation System was developed, qualified and tested. Active Radar Seeker for advanced missions was developed. A Fibre Optics Gyro was successfully developed and tested on board.

In the area of Aeronautics, Tejas, the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) concluded its extensive flight tests including weapon trials, dropping of bombs, jettisoning drop tanks and night flights; leading to its Initial Operational Clearance (IOC) on 10th January, 2011. Over 1640 flights covering a period of over 969 hours have been completed by Tejas Mark 01. The first prototype of LCA Navy was rolled out and its induction tests were concluded. In tune with changing war of scenario, major thrust has been given to develop Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV).

Successful flight trials of RUSTAM-1, a UAV with endurance of 14 hours and altitude ceiling of 8,000 meters demonstrated the capabilities for automated / remotely piloted landing/ take-off and associated technologies. NISHANT, another UAV developed by DRDO was ready for induction by the Army. A medium sized aerostat based platform was developed for surveillance applications. A novel method was developed and flight-tested for an in-flight structural monitoring of the manned as well as unmanned aircraft structures. The scheme was flight tested on a NISHANT UAV.

Besides, over 100 test flights of a 3,000 gram Micro Aerial Vehicle (MAV) designed and developed by DRDO were carried out. A Laser Seeker Kit – ‘SUDARSHAN’, for 1,000 pound bombs was developed and initial demand for significant number of seekers kits has been received from the users.

Major milestones in the indigenous development of fighter aircraft engine was achieved with the completion of “Official Altitude Testing” (OAT) of Kaveri Gas Turbine Engine for simulated operating conditions. Subsequently, the flights of Kaveri engine were successfully carried out on a Flying Test Bed (FTB) proving the technological capability and maturity of the indigenous efforts. This is the first time that an indigenously developed gas turbine engine for fighter aircraft has been flown on a FTB board. DRDO has developed expertise in the field of testing and certification for various components sub-systems and systems as well as complete airborne platforms. Thus, Initial Operational Clearance of LCA and Advanced Light Helicopter MK – III were major activities in this area.

Advanced Active-cum-Passive integrated sonar system HUMSA NG was designed, developed and installed on various ships of Indian Navy. Autonomous Underwater Vehicle (AUV) capable of navigation was demonstrated at sea. A Carbon Dioxide Curtailment System for submarines was designed and developed. The system has been accepted by the user. SANJEEVANI MK II, a device designed and developed to locate victims trapped under the debris was handed over to National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) and Kerala Govt. Fire Services.

An advanced facility was created to undertake full scale processing of large Rocket motors. The facility was commissioned and the casting of various motors commenced. Development of PINAKA – Multi Barrel Rocket Launcher System was achieved with the successful transfer of technology to production agencies, two regiments of PINAKA (worth Rs 1,300 crores) have been raised by Army which is likely to place orders for another two regiments. The Transfer of Technology (ToT) for multimode grenade was completed, for which Army has placed an order for 10 lakh grenades. Under Barrel Grenade Launcher (UBGL) for INSAS and AK-47 rifle was introduced into service with order for 10,000 Launchers. The state-of-the-art microcontroller based system Instant Fire Detection & Suppression System (IFDSS) BMP-2/2K developed for providing protection against fire to the troops & engine compartment, was accepted by the Army. Production order worth Rs. 168 crores has been received.

MBT Arjun Mark I was successfully inducted in the Army and two regiments of Arjun Main Battle Tank have been raised. A Carrier Command Post Tracked (CCPT) vehicle was accepted by the Army for induction. A modified Armoured Amphibious Dozer (AAD) completed its user trials.

User trials of remotely operated vehicle (ROV DAKSH) were successfully carried out and LSP order for 20 numbers is being executed. Design of Snow Gallery for protection of personnel and equipment from avalanches and design of Instrumented Composite Tower for studies on avalanches were completed.

In the field of electronics and electro-optics, many systems were inducted/accepted by the services. 3D medium range surveillance radar - ROHINI and its naval variant REVATHI were inducted. 3D low-level light weight radar - ASLESHA (for IAF) as well as BHARANI (for Army) was accepted by the user. The engineered version of upgraded Weapon Locating Radar (WLR – SWATHI) was realized by the production agency. The electronic warfare system SAMYUKTA (naval variant) and SUJAV were inducted. Orders have been received for the Combat Net Radio (CNR) with anti-jamming features. A holographic sight for rifles/carbines was developed for aiming in closed quarter battle role and was accepted by the users.

Even with the most advanced weapon systems, the man behind machine is the most crucial factor in winning the war. The Life Sciences laboratories of DRDO continued to develop technology to maximize the operational efficiency of our soldiers and provide them with adequate support and protection. Some of the major achievements are highlighted. Three mobile laboratories for nuclear, biological and chemical defence were handed over to the user and rigorous training was imparted to them. An upgraded first-aid kit for protection against chemical and biological agents as well as the nuclear radiation were accepted by the services. Technology for producing DRDO developed kits for detection of swine flu was transferred to the production agency. The Combat Free Fall (CFF) protection system to meet the requirements of high altitude paratrooper’s mission requirements was designed developed and is under limited series production.

A Submarine Escape Set (SES) for escape from an abandoned submarine from depths of 100m was designed and developed. Navy has projected a requirement of over 400 suits.

A Computerized Pilot Selection System (CPSS) was designed, developed and accepted by the Air Force. Series production of systems for deployment at all the Air Force Selection Boards of the IAF is underway.

Advanced materials have been always at the core of weapon systems and military hardware. Significant milestones were achieved in this critical area. A low-alloy steel “DMR-1700” with ultrahigh strength and high fracture toughness was developed as a cost effective replacement of 250 grade maraging steel. The alloy was successfully proven by successful demonstration in the intended application.

A 500 ton per annum capacity Titanium Sponge Plant based on DRDO technology was set up at Kerala Minerals and Metals Limited (KMML).

Light-weight composite armor for Mi-17-IV helicopter of IAF has successfully undergone integration and flight-trials. Technology developed for vacuum investment casting of gas turbine blades for Kaveri engine was extended for making high pressure turbine blades for land-based gas turbine for power generation.

A dedicated team of DRDO engineers executed highly specialized nature of Civil works at some of the most difficult and hazardous area within the stipulated time frame. Agreements for co-operation / co-development in frontline areas of science, technology and engineering were signed with several countries.

This extensive report will quell all doubts about the capabilities of DRDO despite its underlying and rather regular shortcomings of a technology developer.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
This was development flight, lot of earlier tests were successful and assuming it has failed, it does not matter, we have to work hard on this any way.

Now we should focus on RV target rather then on Prithvi size target. We have all the building blocks, all we need is to do tests and see if present tech can take out A1 missile RV.

As one of members said we should test from A&N towards the Kalam test range to get required data.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles