India successfully test-fires supersonic interceptor missile

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
Any source for its specs?????

Please enter a message with at least 30 characters.
S500
http://www.military-today.com/missiles/s500.htm

The S-500 is a new long-range anti-aircraft and anti-ballistic missile system, that is currently being developed in Russia. Development of this air defense system commenced in 2002. It is being developed by Almaz-Antey company. This system is also referred as the Prometey (Prometheus) and Triumfator-M. Prototype testing is expected to begin in 2015. The S-500 is planned to enter service at the end of this decade, possibly in 2017-2018. Russia plans to field ten battalions of S-500 missiles.

The S-500 is not an upgrade of the S-400, but a new design. It uses a lot of new technology and is superior to the S-400. It was designed to intercept ballistic missiles. It is planned to have a range of 500-600 km and hit targets at altitudes as high as 40 km. Some sources claim that this system is capable of tracking 5-20 ballistic targets and intercepting up to 5-10 ballistic targets simultaneously. It can defeat ballistic missiles travelling at 5-7 kilometers per second. It has been reported that this air defense system can also target low orbital satellites.

further specifications in the link

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
In a way you are right, but the fact is that we dont have test range there, where we can collect lot of data.

Wish GOI make range in A&N to launch A1 towards Dr. Kalam test range, till floating range become operational.

I read about the fact that DRDO want to test A1 against our BMD. But they are busy with making duel color sensor for PDV.
The Indian strategic community is delighted with Union minister for environment Prakash Javadekar clearing the Tillanchang island in the Nicobar island chain for a missile test facility. The UPA had in 2011 stalled a navy proposal to use the island as a temporary missile test range for underwater-launched weapons saying it was a bird habitat, but Javadekar overruled those concerns last year. Two nuclear submarines carried out their first critical tests on the island recently-the SSBN Arihant fired a K-4 ballistic missile and the nuclear-powered attack submarine INS Chakra fired a land-attack version of the Klub cruise missile. The icing on the cake: both tests were successful.

http://m.indiatoday.in/story/glasshouse-of-the-week/1/682904.html

Country flag
At one time there was talk of fitting chakra with Brahmos. I guess the tubes were never redesigned?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Country flag
Lf they use universal launch tubes. Same one for K15, brahmos and for nirbhy missiles.
The Russians probably did not want to change chakra tubes ? Klub is a popular missile it is similar to Brahmos it is also
a "carrier killer" . USA had invested billions
In supercarriers and this missile made USA
Rethink the investment.

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
Now that India has become a member of MTCR, we have to see what we can achieve and when.....

Chinmoy

Country flag
Now that India has become a member of MTCR, we have to see what we can achieve and when.....
There is no official confirmation on this. Only media speculations. I think our bureaucrats are playing safe this time.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Country flag
What defense capability do they have? Getting a bigger begging bowl?

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
I think Pakistan will design a nuclear bullet and replace them with the current ammunition for their AK 47's......:biggrin2::rofl:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles