DRDO Multical Rifle Unveiled

Twinblade

Country flag
New Delhi. India 's Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has developed a corner shot rifle for special forces.

DRDO chief Dr Avinash Chander told India Strategic that the lightweight rifle is made of composite materials and is multi-caliber, capable of firing both 5.56 and 7.62 rounds. It is undergoing final tests at its small arms unit in Pune at present.
Once the evaluation trials are over, the rifle design would be offered to a public or private sector industry for manufacture as per the Government's decision, and then made available to special forces like the National Security Guard (NSG), Army and police units.
The corner shot rifle, which enables a soldier to fire at 90 degrees or at an angle from behind a wall without facing a terrorist or a target was first developed in Israel . India is reported to have bought some rifles for anti-terror operations.
Dr Chander said that the rifle is of simple design and would be easy to manufacture.
Please don't give it to OFB.
..:: India Strategic ::. Homeland Security: DRDO develops Corner Shot rifle

Blood+

Country flag
@Kunal Biswas,sir,does the ARDE Multi calibre rifle sport a machined receiver or is it still fitted with a stamped one??

Last edited by a moderator:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
I think its stamped, The reason i believe so that it can be mass produce in small time ..

Twinblade

Country flag
@Kunal Biswas,sir,does the ARDE Multi calibre rifle sport a machined receiver or is it still fitted with a stamped one??
I think its stamped, The reason i believe so that it can be mass produce in small time ..
The material is magnesium aluminium alloy which is not very suitable for casting or stamping but works well with milling. They will most likely outsource the furniture (they already did), the raw forges required for milling, have another set of suppliers do the milling and simply make barrel and gas assembly at the final factory and putting the gun together.

Blood+

Country flag
Thanks to both of you guys.So it's almost given that the receiver is milled,it's good.

@Kunal Biswas,sir,I get your point.Stamping was necessary for INSAS rifles since back then India was a much poorer and cash-strapped country and it needed a cheaper yet good quality assault rifle design for mass production,back then we simply couldn't afford a costly rifle.So stamped receiver for INSAS actually made perfect sense.
But now the financial situation of India has much improved and today we could actually afford a standard issues assault rifle design with milled receivers.

Just my thought.Would be glad to be corrected if found wrong.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Nothing changed my friend in defense budget for National product, But i believe its the requirement that was prepared back in 80s ..

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
The material is magnesium aluminium alloy which is not very suitable for casting or stamping but works well with milling. They will most likely outsource the furniture (they already did), the raw forges required for milling, have another set of suppliers do the milling and simply make barrel and gas assembly at the final factory and putting the gun together.
Could you, for our benefit, explain cold forging, hammer forging, and different other types of forging techniques?

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Then maybe @DivineHeretic? His specialty was metallurgy... or was it geology? :confused:

My knowledge with regard to them is fairly basic and anecdotal :) I am sure there are others more qualified over here to do that.

Twinblade

Country flag
Saurav Jha's Blog : Putting the Indian Army's desire to import assault rifles in perspective

Saturday , July 05, 2014 at 22 : 24

Truth be told, there isn't really that urgent an operational requirement for the fanciest new rifles now is there? Because if that indeed be the case, why is IA still at the comparative trial stage for a process it officially began in 2011 with no real end in sight? Given the problems with foreign procurement that is neither cheap nor timely it is time to seriously look at indigenous options again.

Especially at a time when DRDO's home-grown MCIWS is 'out of the stovepipe and into the light' undergoing technical trials. The MCIWS revealed for the first time right here on 'Geek at Large' earlier this year (Saurav Jha's Blog : A new year for DRDO) is an indigenous attempt at a contemporary modular AR exhibiting all the features possessed by the rifles currently in contention for IA's next gen requirement.

Interestingly an indigenous 6.8 mm round has also been developed for use with the MCIWS. The MCIWS' grenade launcher can also fire programmable air burst rounds making it a tie-in for the F-INSAS program. Instead of handing out massive royalties to foreign weapon makers the IA could well decide by putting its weight behind the iterative development of the MCIWS.

Moreover, let DRDO select a production agency(could be from the private sector) for itselfas far as the MCIWSis concerned and give it the option of exporting the weapon irrespective of whether it finds favour with the Indian military or not. If downright imports are 'moral' then downright 'exports' are moral too. Indeed liberalization in this arena should be a two-way street with various classes of FDI allowed and various categories of outright exports allowed too.

Last edited:

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
Please post latest news about this beautiful home and Indian made gun.

I am waiting to see it being inducted into the Armed forces

Hari Sud

Country flag
Does this gun has any future with army still running around testing multi cal rifles of foreign origin?

Austinjimson

Re: Successful user trial of MSMC

Who all will be the probable users of MSMC carbine and when will it be inducted into armed forces? ?

Ky Loung

It already has laser pointer in scope

[PDF]http://elbitsystems.com/Elbitmain/files/MARS.pdf[/PDF]

Too big, too high, and look like it weight a ton. What's the battery life? Probably not long. It does not gives absolute or 1/3 co witness. It so high that the laser is 1/4 inch higher from the front iron sight. What's the deal with the laser? IA is going get rip off if they decide to buy it.

Bite the bullet and invest in Aimpoint optics IMO. Best red dot optic created and almost indestructible. Standard continuous battery life is 7 years on normal setting. Micro Aimpoint 5 years continuous running on normal setting.

Red dot sights - Aimpoint the original red dot sight

Understanding Co-Witness - YouTube

Last edited:

Ky Loung

courtesy
Randy M
From the picture at least 3 flaws in the design.

1. Magwell cut. The rectangle cut on the side of the magwell to see how many bullets are left. It all honesty it is a very very stupid design. Whoever decided it was a good idea to expose the magwell like that never been in the military before. Dirt and sand will enter through there and cause malfunction to the firearm.

2. There is no dust cover on the ejection port. That means dirt and sand can get inside the firearm.

3. Not enough space on the hand guard to mount accessories.

I would love to see the field striping process as well as the internals.

Last edited:

pmaitra

From the picture at least 3 flaws in the design.

1. Magwell cut. The rectangle cut on the side of the magwell to see how many bullets are left. It all honesty it is a very very stupid design. Whoever decided it was a good idea to expose the magwell like that never been in the military before. Dirt and sand will enter through there and cause malfunction to the firearm.

2. There is no dust cover on the ejection port. That means dirt and sand can get inside the firearm.

3. Not enough space on the hand guard to mount accessories.

I would love to see the field striping process as well as the internals.
Regarding the window in the mag-well, India has widely used the FN-FAL (clone, to be precise).

This is a picture showing the mag-well. This is a 3D model, but that really isn't the point.

Comparing the mag-well of the MCIWS and the FN-FAL, I doubt the former will be any worse than the latter when it comes to dirt getting inside the rifle.

Experts may please comment: @Kunal Biswas, @Ray Sir, @Bhadra

Ky Loung

Regarding the window in the mag-well, India has widely used the FN-FAL (clone, to be precise).

This is a picture showing the mag-well. This is a 3D model, but that really isn't the point.

Comparing the mag-well of the MCIWS and the FN-FAL, I doubt the former will be any worse than the latter when it comes to dirt getting inside the rifle.

Experts may please comment: @Kunal Biswas, @Ray Sir, @Bhadra
There is no reason for the cut in the magwell. If you're in a firefight you won't have time to check how many rounds is in the magazine. The stress of combats make it unimportant. Drop the magazine and insert a new one. It faster than taking your eyes of the enemies to check how many rounds are left. God forbid while counting the enemy rush and gut you alive with his knife.

The FN FAL has a lot of problems in desert/sand environment. The Israeli got rid of their FN FAL because they could not make them work. Sands was entering through the short magwell.

There is another problem with the cut. If a small object somehow got into the magwell through the cut. If it is big enough and embed itself between the magazine and magwell wall, it will prevent the magazine from dropping. The worst case the magazine cannot be remove. Now you have a dead rifle. A dead rifle means a defenseless kid in the middle of a firefight.

Keep in mind no Western modern rifle have the cut for good reason. Embarking and debarking from a helicopter will kick a lot of debris up into the air and it will enter the rifle. How much depend on how the rifle is design.

There is a magazine made by Tango Down design to seal off any debris come up the magwell. It design to prevent helicopter debris from from entering the rifle.

TangoDown ARC Polymer 30-round Magazine for Tactical AR-15 Carbines and SBRs | DefenseReview.com (DR): An online tactical technology and military defense technology magazine with particular focus on the latest and greatest tactical firearms news (tac
A rectangular silicone O-ring "gasket" is integrated at this juncture to form a seal between the inserted magazine and the magwell, so foreign debris can come up the magwell and into the weapon or magazine.

Articles