DRDO Multical Rifle Unveiled

Austinjimson

But I saw it two pages (23rd page) before.It's in a defexpo.

Sent from my GT-I8730 using Tapatalk

Austinjimson

Hey Kunal ,I just fell in love with this gun since I first saw it.Its able to fire ak round (7.76mm),NATO (5.56mm) and desi (6.8mm)round.I always loved to have an airsoft version of this gun.Does Arde make airsoft version of guns currently in use and future guns just like gun companies in USA does??

Sent from my GT-I8730 using Tapatalk

Twinblade

Country flag
Is this the 7.62 AK variant? Mag seems to have the same shape
AK mags are bit curved than this .Most probably 30 round mag of 5.56 .
Did any one know whether this weapon could use AK mags?
It is entirely possible to use one common magazine for all rounds (except 7.62 NATO). There's a magazine called Longziz #2 that can fire Grendel, SPC, 7.62x39, 5.45x39, .223 remington and 5.56 NATO. Check out these videos:-

Last edited by a moderator:

ghost

@militarysta @Damian sir ,what is your view on MCIWS.Though it is still a prototype,much is not known about its internal mechanism but it is speculated to be same as insas,can you review on basis of its design and features.

Would you put MCIWS in the same league as MSBS or better?In terms of design and features,when compared to traditional design MSBS not the bullpup design.:namaste:

Damian

MCIWS have some things I consider as "must to be changed".

It is only in terms of ergonomics. First the rail system, it is currently desired to have top rail as long as possible, short rails create problems with placing more complex optics configurations, and also some soliders preffer to have optics placed further from their eyes.

Hand guard also should be redesigned, to have rails, or provisions to mount rails. If you look at MSBS, it have a specially designed hand guard with these small openings, there are not for ventillation, but to provide attachement points for different types of rails, so soldier depending on his needs or preferences can installa short or long rails, or combination of both.

Another thing, bolt release, again MSBS is example of how more ergonomics here can be integrated with design. MSBS have bolt release at the trigger guard, so you can after inserting magazine, release bolt and load rifle very quickly, in a matter of seconds, without searching bolt release with other hand.

Another thing are fire mode selector switch, these are modeled directly after AR-15 and each position is 90 degrees to another, this is not bad, but more ergonomically it would be at 45 degrees like on MSBS, it is more comfortable.

MCIWS should also have capability to change direction of spent cases ejection, someone who is left handed will most likely preffer to have cases ejected to the left.

I also dislike the stock design, it seems it can't be folded to the side, probably there is a buffer like in AR-15 that prevent this. It is not must to be but a nice feature, especially for paratroopers or guys that drive in vehicle.

However not much can't be done IMHO with this design to bring it to MSBS level, simply because evidently MCIWS is based on some older design, and is not a clean sheet design like MSBS.

ghost

MCIWS have some things I consider as "must to be changed".

It is only in terms of ergonomics. First the rail system, it is currently desired to have top rail as long as possible, short rails create problems with placing more complex optics configurations, and also some soliders preffer to have optics placed further from their eyes.

Hand guard also should be redesigned, to have rails, or provisions to mount rails. If you look at MSBS, it have a specially designed hand guard with these small openings, there are not for ventillation, but to provide attachement points for different types of rails, so soldier depending on his needs or preferences can installa short or long rails, or combination of both.

Another thing, bolt release, again MSBS is example of how more ergonomics here can be integrated with design. MSBS have bolt release at the trigger guard, so you can after inserting magazine, release bolt and load rifle very quickly, in a matter of seconds, without searching bolt release with other hand.

Another thing are fire mode selector switch, these are modeled directly after AR-15 and each position is 90 degrees to another, this is not bad, but more ergonomically it would be at 45 degrees like on MSBS, it is more comfortable.

MCIWS should also have capability to change direction of spent cases ejection, someone who is left handed will most likely preffer to have cases ejected to the left.

I also dislike the stock design, it seems it can't be folded to the side, probably there is a buffer like in AR-15 that prevent this. It is not must to be but a nice feature, especially for paratroopers or guys that drive in vehicle.

However not much can't be done IMHO with this design to bring it to MSBS level, simply because evidently MCIWS is based on some older design, and is not a clean sheet design like MSBS.
I agree that hand guard should be redesigned ,but if if you look closely at the various pic in this thread,there is rail provided ,but you will have to remove the lower hand guard for it.

Regarding stock design,it is a buffer tube same as ar15 but mciws broucher claims it can be folded.

It is much more compact than it seems in pictures,Take a look at it's video available in this thread,much like m4.

Cocking,charging lever,and magazine release is ambidextrous.

capable of firing "3" different caliber by changing barrel group,breech block and magazine.

Air burst grenade firing capabilities.

push type magazine release.

Damian

I agree that hand guard should be redesigned ,but if if you look closely at the various pic in this thread,there is rail provided ,but you will have to remove the lower hand guard for it.
There might be a rail under hand guard, but what I mean is a long continous upper rail, or long rail inegrated with upper receiver. Just like on MSBS or ACR or SCAR.

Regarding stock design,it is a buffer tube same as ar15 but mciws broucher claims it can be folded.
Perhaps they just installed what they had?

Cocking,charging lever,and magazine release is ambidextrous.
Yeah, owever I would take a longer time to rethink their positions, currently this is a copy of AR-15 ergonomics which are rather old right now. So not bad, but can be better.

capable of firing "3" different caliber by changing barrel group,breech block and magazine.
You can do this with many type of of rifles. However I doubt you need to change only these elemsnt, I think lower receiver also needs to be changed, a single magazine well can't accept all magazine types.

Air burst grenade firing capabilities.
Nothing special really, you just integrate granade launcher with FCS and voila, but such designs are somewhat cumbersome, I think such approach should be abandoned as impractical.

push type magazine release.
Preaty much standard these days.

ghost

There might be a rail under hand guard, but what I mean is a long continous upper rail, or long rail inegrated with upper receiver. Just like on MSBS or ACR or SCAR.

Perhaps they just installed what they had?

Yeah, owever I would take a longer time to rethink their positions, currently this is a copy of AR-15 ergonomics which are rather old right now. So not bad, but can be better.

You can do this with many type of of rifles. However I doubt you need to change only these elemsnt, I think lower receiver also needs to be changed, a single magazine well can't accept all magazine types.

Nothing special really, you just integrate granade launcher with FCS and voila, but such designs are somewhat cumbersome, I think such approach should be abandoned as impractical.

Preaty much standard these days.
In this case it can.My net speed is slow,but if you search mciws on google ,there is a pic of it with ak type transparent magazine with same mag well.

It has a long ,continous lower rail ,but you will have to remove lower hand guard.Yes,upper continous rail is helpul for user to adjust sight as per his convinence.It is said it has 92% commonality in all caliber.

What are ur thoughts on gass block and the space in it?

Last edited:

Damian

In this case it can.My net speed is slow,but if you search mciws on google ,there is a pic of it with ak type transparent magazine with same mag well.
I doubt it, unless designers made a trick, and they designed a family of common magazines for intermediate cartridge only, then it is possible to keep magazines in more or less similiar dimensions for a single magazine well, but then you can't use larger cartrigde like 7,62x51mm.

It has a long ,continous lower rail ,but you will have to remove lower hand guard.Yes,upper continous rail is helpul for user to adjust sight as per his convinence.
Well I would change some things here. I don't know, the hand guard design is not something I would look for my rifle. IMHO it would be better to redesign hand guard and put there provisions to mount differenc configurations of attachement rails, just like in MSBS.

ghost

I doubt it, unless designers made a trick, and they designed a family of common magazines for intermediate cartridge only, then it is possible to keep magazines in more or less similiar dimensions for a single magazine well, but then you can't use larger cartrigde like 7,62x51mm.

Well I would change some things here. I don't know, the hand guard design is not something I would look for my rifle. IMHO it would be better to redesign hand guard and put there provisions to mount differenc configurations of attachement rails, just like in MSBS.

Here you go ,I think it's for 7.62

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/QTAPrXttwa4/0.jpg

for 5.56

What are your thoughts on the gap in gas block?

Damian

Ok, what I like is the idea of cut out in magazine well, good idea, seriously.

As for cut out in gas block, there is one? I don't see.

Twinblade

Country flag
Not a real issue, am just nitpicking. This is too boxy. All functionality and no aesthetics. Maybe they can get a fiber reinforced polymer or a milled aluminium body instead of a tin box.

Also, where are the dual ports for the laser range finder? Or is it just a thermal sight? The text in the poster says otherwise.
It says in the poster exactly what it is, it's an uncooled long wave infra red sight.
Can you point out the laser transmit and receive reticles? It says it has FCC and FCC requires range finding.

Or is there some IR based range finding mechanism?

FCC should be a separate attachment, with the ability to connect with this sight.
It was right under our eyes Arnab, mounted on the side rails, and we missed it :)

Last edited:

Twinblade

Country flag
:( not liking it!

Was expecting a single piece integrated solution like this:
I don't see the point in unibody solution. With separate units, grenade fire control computer can be used without heavy thermal sights and thermal sights can be used even when grenade launching capability is not required. Usually grenade FCC are capped with a moving red dot sight, which I am sure that this FCC will also receive in it's final version. By having thermal sights compatible with multiple accessories, more modularity will be achieved.

^^Rheinmetall FCC for grenade

^^ FN Herstal FCC for grenade.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Just for the sake of debate:

Thermal sights are needed more now-a-days because:
1> War today happens mostly at night
2> CT/COIN operations happen either in urban or forested low light or high contrast light areas

Also, distributed systems mean more bulk near the barrel (balance issue), more cables (points of failure), more points to snag.

Unibody with thermal can be used for SF where as unibody without thermal for infantry.

Look at this Orion FCS for the MPRS

Or even a smaller AR version of Aimpoint FCS-12 (originally meant for Carl Gustav RCL)

I don't see the point in unibody solution. With separate units, grenade fire control computer can be used without heavy thermal sights and thermal sights can be used even when grenade launching capability is not required. Usually grenade FCC are capped with a moving red dot sight, which I am sure that this FCC will also receive in it's final version. By having thermal sights compatible with multiple accessories, more modularity will be achieved.

^^Rheinmetall FCC for grenade

^^ FN Herstal FCC for grenade.

Last edited:

Articles