Lancer

Bana
Country flag
Ya....we have ...
We have ordered ....new bvrs from Russia tested....too
I have confirmed with multiple sources
Again astra is better than amraam
And r77
...astra may be inducted in next year ....
Alright good, meaning those new BVR's we bought post-Balakot were the highest range variants available then. That's encouraging. Because I'm personally still pissed off over February, next time I want to see a disproportionate ratio of PAF jets downed.

Frontrunner

Country flag
I'm basically trying to find out if we currently have anything that can equal or surpass Paki AMRAAM's. That's my ultimate concern above and beyond anything.
BVR missiles comes with few caveats.. i.e ROE nd IFF... IAF being a professional force always goes by the book.. that's why they didn't launched BVR missiles at Dmax.. one can gauge the frivolousness nd itter show of unprofessionalism from PAF when they fired amraams at Dmax.. wht would hv happened if one of the missiles took down a civilian airliner??
But now PAF has opened a pandora box.. next encounter whenever it happens.. PAF will be facing torrents of missiles.. nd most importantly the rafale meteor combo with MRSAM (BARAK8) nd S-400.. will wreck havoc among hapless PAF.. they have drawn a thin line for them to cross which they already did.. remember they exercised their ace i.e f-16 nd amraam... The same ace was downed by a vintage mig 21 bison piloted by brave wing commander abhinandan...
Now IAF has few dreaded aces up their sleeves ( within a year of induction of rafale, s400, mrsam)
The whole goddamm situation of air combat in South Asia is gonna revolutionaize

Country flag
From what closes friends have told me there are different versions of Astra; all named Astra with different features . At least 4 different indigenous seekers were tested . BVR 's are probably one if the toughest missiles to produce and perfect most BVR's have a 50 percent success rate. This is a true accomplishment .

Lancer

Bana
Country flag
BVR missiles comes with few caveats.. i.e ROE nd IFF... IAF being a professional force always goes by the book.. that's why they didn't launched BVR missiles at Dmax.. one can gauge the frivolousness nd itter show of unprofessionalism from PAF when they fired amraams at Dmax.. wht would hv happened if one of the missiles took down a civilian airliner??
But now PAF has opened a pandora box.. next encounter whenever it happens.. PAF will be facing torrents of missiles.. nd most importantly the rafale meteor combo with MRSAM (BARAK8) nd S-400.. will wreck havoc among hapless PAF.. they have drawn a thin line for them to cross which they already did.. remember they exercised their ace i.e f-16 nd amraam... The same ace was downed by a vintage mig 21 bison piloted by brave wing commander abhinandan...
Now IAF has few dreaded aces up their sleeves ( within a year of induction of rafale, s400, mrsam)
The whole goddamm situation of air combat in South Asia is gonna revolutionaize
True, once we have all those goodies in 2-3 years, it won't even be a contest (I'm pretty sure just 1-2 S-400 systems can turn all of Pak into a no-fly zone).

Which is why I'm firmly in favor of permanently solving Pakistan circa 2022.

Frontrunner

Country flag
True, once we have all those goodies in 2-3 years, it won't even be a contest (I'm pretty sure just 1-2 S-400 systems can turn all of Pak into a no-fly zone).

Which is why I'm firmly in favor of permanently solving Pakistan circa 2022.
S-400 is meant for a deterrent against cruise missiles nd ballistic missiles until our own homegrown ABM matures.. the main threat for PAF will come from MRSAMS to be inducted by army in 2020.. with a range of 90 km.. it will be placed closed to the border (at around 50km) covering 40 km of paki air space.. no paf plane will dare coming close to border.. with integrated air defence system in full force all other air defence elements of iaf will be mated to a central command nd control.. increasing lethality nd efficiency of AIR defence units...

S-400 if used in air defence it's main job will be to shoot down paki AWECS using it 40N6 missiles.. even if it fails to shoot down awecs.. it will make sure paki awecs won't loiter in air or will fly far away to keep it away from the long range of 40N6 missiles....

Now this has some serious implications on PAF fight worthiness.. remember AWECS serves as true force mulitpliers for PAF.. without AWECS cover their plane will run blind.. as iaf will launch a passive attack ( IAF fighter aircrafts i.e rafale, su30, mig29 has IRST while not even a single paf plane has it) closing into enemy aircrafts without using their radar thus guided by awecs nd IRST .... Paf won't even know what hit them...

Remember when u use ur radar.. enemy RWR will go abuzz alerting him of ur presence thus he takes evasive actions.. now if u launch a silent passive attack... With no radar emission.. like a stealth assasin.. enemy won't even know what hit them.. this where RAFALE coupled with mica IR nd meteor succeds..
That's why i said... The whole goddamm scenario of air combat spectrum in South Asia gonna revolutionaize with entry of Rafale, S400 nd mrsam..

when air Marshal BS dhanoa (retired) said repeatedly that when rafale will commence active operations with IAF.. PAF won't even dare to come anywhere near loc or IB.. he actually meant it.. nd these are not braggadocio statements or remarks instead a bonafide claim.. which even paf knows very well....

Last edited:

Lancer

Bana
Country flag
S-400 is meant for a deterrent against cruise missiles nd ballistic missiles until our own homegrown ABM matures.. the main threat for PAF will come from MRSAMS to be inducted by army in 2020.. with a range of 90 km.. it will be placed closed to the border (at around 50km) covering 40 km of paki air space.. no paf plane will dare coming close to border.. with integrated air defence system in full force all other air defence elements of iaf will be mated to a central command nd control.. increasing lethality nd efficiency of AIR defence units...

S-400 if used in air defence it's main job will be to shoot down paki AWECS using it 40N6 missiles.. even if it fails to shoot down awecs.. it will make sure paki awecs won't loiter in air or will fly far away to keep it away from the long range of 40N6 missiles....

Now this has some serious implications on PAF fight worthiness.. remember AWECS serves as true force mulitpliers for PAF.. without AWECS cover their plane will run blind.. as iaf will launch a passive attack ( IAF fighter aircrafts i.e rafale, su30, mig29 has IRST while not even a single paf plane has it) closing into enemy aircrafts without using their radar thus guided by awecs nd IRST .... Paf won't even know what hit them...

Remember when u use ur radar.. enemy RWR will go abuzz alerting him of ur presence thus he takes evasive actions.. now if u launch a silent passive attack... With no radar emission.. like a stealth assasin.. enemy won't even know what hit them.. this where RAFALE coupled with mica IR nd meteor succeds..
That's why i said... The whole goddamm scenario of air combat spectrum in South Asia gonna revolutionaize with entry of Rafale, S400 nd mrsam..

when air Marshal BS dhanoa (retired) said repeatedly that when rafale will commence active operations with IAF.. PAF won't even dare to come anywhere near loc or IB.. he actually meant it.. nd these are not braggadocio statements or remarks instead a bonafide claim.. which even paf knows very well....

1 thing we could potentially do (since we're ordering multiple systems) - is place 1 of those systems at an appropriate point along the Punjab-Rajasthan front - while leaving the rest for BMD & China front. This would successfully cover much of the "action area." Meanwhile in the J&K front, Pakistan is so narrow, that even having fighters w/ very long range BVR's/AWACs Killers like Meteors/R-37's/Novators etc would more or less serve the same purpose (grounding Paki fleet).

I know the standard assumption is that India would achieve air domination within 48 hours at high tempo ops, but can you imagine fighting a war where the PAF is basically grounded from the beginning? We could settle things in a week.

WolfPack86

Country flag
#BigNews IAF places initial order of Astra BVRAAM for it's Su-30MKI fleet

India’s first indigenous beyond visual range air-to-air missile (BVRAAM) for fighters, Astra, is now finally ready for induction after 15 tortuous years of development, with the DRDO expecting the IAF to initially order at least 200 missiles for its Sukhoi-30MKI jets.

The Defence Research and Development Organisation is also already working to increase Astra’s strike range from the existing 110-km to over 160-km. “Astra is one of the best BVRAAMs in the world today. We have the capability to develop it for longer ranges,” said DRDO chief Dr G Satheesh Reddy, talking to TOI.

India has joined a handful of countries like US, Russia, France and Israel in developing such advanced air combat missiles that can destroy highly-agile enemy supersonic fighters packed with “counter-measures’’ at long ranges, say officials.

The importance of having deadly air-to-air missiles was underscored during the skirmish between Indian and Pakistani fighters along the Line of Control on February 27, a day after IAF jets bombed the JeM facility at Balakot.

The sleek 3.57-metre long Astra, with a mass weight of 154-kg, flies over four times the speed of sound at Mach 4.5. To be produced by defence PSU Bharat Dynamics for about Rs 7-8 crore per unit, Astra will be a much cheaper indigenous alternative to some of the expensive Russian, French and Israeli BVRAAMs currently imported to arm IAF fighters.

After the Russian-origin Sukhois, the indigenous Tejas light combat aircraft will also be equipped with the all-weather Astra. The missile, which is capable of handling multi-target scenarios, has “state-of-the-art ECCM (electronic counter-counter measures) to tackle jamming by hostile aircraft, active radar terminal guidance and “highly accurate complex end-game algorithms for high single-shot kill probability” in both head-on and tail-chase modes.

The DRDO is all gung-ho after it conducted five successful trials of the Astra from Sukhoi fighters against Jet Banshee target aircraft or UAVs, simulating all possible threat scenarios, off the Chandipur coast in Odisha last week.

“The targets were hit at distances of 80 to 86-km with pinpoint accuracy. The technologies developed under the programme will be the building blocks for developing future variants of air-to-air and surface-to-air missiles,” said an official.

The missile project was first sanctioned in March 2004 at an initial cost of Rs 955 crore.
https://www.facebook.com/pg/TeamAMCA/photos/?ref=page_internal

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
India’s first indigenous beyond visual range air-to-air missile (BVRAAM) for fighters, Astra, is now finally ready for induction after 15 tortuous years of development, with the DRDO expecting the IAF to initially order at least 200 missiles for its Sukhoi-30MKI jets.
My only question is why did they just place a huge order for R-77s when they have this coming out?

vampyrbladez

Country flag
Ya....we have ...
We have ordered ....new bvrs from Russia tested....too
I have confirmed with multiple sources
Again astra is better than amraam
And r77
...astra may be inducted in next year ....
We brought the 100 km R 27 ET1 and the 80 km R 27 E1 for use by fighters like the Su 30 MKI and the MiG 29 UPG. R 73 has also been procured for MiG 21 BiS and R 77 for the entire fleet but especially for MiG 21 BiS.

vampyrbladez

Country flag

Hence they tried via Congis and Lobby to kill the deal!

bose

Country flag
My only question is why did they just place a huge order for R-77s when they have this coming out?
One probable reason may be scaling up the production of Astra in immediate future [ one year period] ... and also to maintain good stock of AAMs enough if war started now ... IAF does not want to take chance with the inventory.

Last edited:

uoftotaku

Country flag
Replenishment of War Wastage Reserves. It is not an emergency order (as some in our media have portrayed) but a normal scheduled order which happens coincidentally to be executed at a sensitive time (allowing mischievous reporters to spin it without any rebuttal from forces)

Chinmoy

Country flag
Because Astra has still to be tested from M2K and Mig-29 before it is deployed across the spectrum. So till then we would require a backup. Moreover Astra would require couple of years till it reached its maturity. So R-77 would be there for some more coming years.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag

Holy Triad

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Astra Mark 2 will feature both Rail and Ejector Launch capability : Former Air Marshal Sinha

Air Marshal SBP Sinha (retd), who headed Rafale negotiations from Indian side said, recently made an interesting revelation while speaking to a Defence Journal that the upcoming improved version of the Astra Mark 2 missile is already in development and will have a head-on range of more than 110+ km and also will have ejector launch method which was not seen in Astra Mark 1 program.

Astra Mark 1 uses the rail launched method when launched from mother aircraft towards its target. In the ejector launch method, the weapons system is physically ejected away from the aircraft, ensuring that it is clear of the aerodynamic flow around the aircraft before motor ignition.

Rail launched method is most commonly used the method when air to air missile is fired towards its target but in many high g turns while performing excessive maneuvering there is a tendency for the missile to become jammed in the rail but the development of Ejector Launch capability for upcoming Astra Mark 2 most likely is to do with 5th generation AMCA fighter jet which will have Internal weapons bay and will use an Ejector Launch mechanism for launching air to air missile when in Stealth mode.

While DRDO is tight lipped about its Astra Mark 2 program it is expected to come with a dual pulse rocket motor with a software-defined Active radar seeker to achieve extended range.

idrw.org .Read more at India No 1 Defence News Website https://idrw.org/astra-mark-2-will-...r-launch-capability-former-air-marshal-sinha/ .

IndianHawk

Country flag
Losing India will be a huge blow for the Tactical Missile Corporation. They were their largest foreign client. Now that Astra has an indigenous seeker they can't even sell that.
Seekers radars and missile engines are some areas where India is progressing very very rapidly.

Russians have wised up to that progress hence sfdr is joint venture . That is the only way for Russian to remain inside the tent in these areas.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles