Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT) Mark II

Flame Thrower

lots of things are going over there.
I didn't get what you meant...

I went to DefExpo 18 on business pass. Had privilege to meet Gen. Arora and Gen. Bakshi, Had spent(for half hour interviewing) time with one of the project managers of HTFE and OFB
(OFB Kanpur I believe). Had interviewed Thales representative, much more interesting stuff.

Fun fact, had lots of silly chat with the folks who designed Nirbhaya TEL system. But they don't know much about missile.

BMP and Arjun stall folks were not that communicative. Hardly answered any questions or responded properly. I also met them on the evening, they maybe tired or something.....

Aaj ka hero

Has left
Banned
Country flag

I went to DefExpo 18 on business pass. Had privilege to meet Gen. Arora and Gen. Bakshi, Had spent(for half hour interviewing) time with one of the project managers of HTFE and OFB
(OFB Kanpur I believe). Had interviewed Thales representative, much more interesting stuff.

Fun fact, had lots of silly chat with the folks who designed Nirbhaya TEL system. But they don't know much about missile.

BMP and Arjun stall folks were not that communicative. Hardly answered any questions or responded properly. I also met them on the evening, they maybe tired or something.....
Nah, I meant to say lot of research and army involvement in this weapon development is going on.
That's a good thing.
I want to ask is the 118 order for the improved tank completed or not?

Flame Thrower

Nah, I meant to say lot of research and army involvement in this weapon development is going on.
That's a good thing.
I want to ask is the 118 order for the improved tank completed or not?
I don't know much about orders. Not just Arjun, but every weapon systems.

I am more into weapon capabilities and development

proud_indian

Country flag
Mk.2 and MK.1A has the 93 modifications over MK.1.

Mk.1A will be 68 tons, MK.2 will be <65 tons
Becuase it will have high nitrogen steel and composites, currently been built in Reliance.
There was a news a few weeks ago that reliance has completed the

What did you talk about HTFE? When do they expect it to mature?

Flame Thrower

What did you talk about HTFE? When do they expect it to mature?
The discussion was more on 3-D printing and the strength of the parts.

How far can they increase thrust(37kn wet in current state, can extend up to 45kn with design improvements)

Status of HTFE and HTSE 1200HP. HTFE by 2019 end and HTSE by 2020. If all goes well.

He wasn't willing to say anything on TET. But on strength, they're similar to normal blades and compressor blades are better in some aspects(didn't give more info)

We're the first Country to go such a powerful engine on 3-D printed parts. I felt a lot of proud after this statement.

Any further design improvements (none).

WolfPack86

Country flag
Troubled by delays in Al Khalid II tank development, Pakistan to import engines

Hit by constraints in manufacturing its indigenous Main Battle Tanks (MBTs), Pakistan has finally decided to buy engines and other parts of Al Khalid II tank from overseas.

“Pakistan has been trying to make indigenous Al Khalid II for a long time but it seems that because of the delay in making the tank, we have now abandoned manufacturing it,” a senior official of the Defense Ministry of India told Zee News, adding, “Pakistan is now contacting overseas to procure engines that can be fit in this tank.”

The Pakistan Government will import the Al Khalid II tank engine with the help of China and other European nations.

With the intention of achieving a decisive edge against India, the Pakistan Army has constantly been engaged in strengthening its defense preparedness. Towards this, the Pakistan Air Force will add 62 new JF-17 jets in the next three years against India's 36 Rafale fighter jets.

To overcome its shortage of tanks in the Pakistan Army Armoured Corps, the country also intends to add 600 new MBTs over the next few months. It is already procuring about 100 Chinese VT4 – a third generation MBT with an engine of 1200 horsepower and speed of 70 kilometers per hour.

"Pakistan wants such a tank in which there is a computerized fire control system and would be able to hit targets within a range of 3 to 4 kilometers," added the officer.

India has also been developing indigenous state-of-art Arjun MBT, an upgraded version of the Arjun Mark-2, which currently undergoing validation trials. The new generation tanks will be lighter than its present weight of 68 tonnes. The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has already accepted the upgraded version of Arjun Mark-II.

Indian Army already has over 4,100 MBTs while Pakistan army has nearly 2500 tanks.
.https://www.facebook.com/pg/TeamAMCA/photos/?ref=page_internal

WolfPack86

Country flag
Guys when Indian Army inducted 124 Arjun MK 1 in service when Arjun Mk 1 performed extremely well in all trials. Why Indian Army did not induct Arjun MK 1 tank in induct mass numbers. Why did Indian Army went for T-90 tank. T-90 tank is inferior to Arjun Mk 1 tank. Arjun MK 1 weight is 58 tonne. So weight is not the issue. Some thing going wrong on in MOD and Indian Army. So guys what are yours view point.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Guys when Indian Army inducted 124 Arjun MK 1 in service when Arjun Mk 1 performed extremely well in all trials. Why Indian Army did not induct Arjun MK 1 tank in induct mass numbers..
Maybe shoddy build quality like INSAS? It performed reasonably well, but we don't know how reliable & rugged it is...

Plus T-90 has better penetration compared to Mark1, which also can't fire missiles... nor have an RCWS.
Maybe Mark 2 will get lucky (What about FMBT?)

binayak95

Country flag
Maybe shoddy build quality like INSAS? It performed reasonably well, but we don't know how reliable & rugged it is...

Plus T-90 has better penetration compared to Mark1, which also can't fire missiles... nor have an RCWS.
Maybe Mark 2 will get lucky (What about FMBT?)
Not just that. Lack of ERA was a major concern. As was gun stabilisation and weight was and is still somewhat an issue.

Arjun mk1A is being pushed by the army itself. Thus, you see Reliance's involvement in the project.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Lack of ERA was a major concern. As was gun stabilisation...
Mark1A(?) didn't seem to have issues regarding stabilisation or dust particles.
But why was absence of ERA be an issue, especially on the front instead of sides? Doesn't Arjun's front have so-called "heavy armour" ? (...although T-90's front apparently has equal Line of sight thickness.)

Still no hard/soft kill APS other than smoke?

What happened to the 464 T-90MS & FMBT?

Last edited:

Chinmoy

Country flag
Guys when Indian Army inducted 124 Arjun MK 1 in service when Arjun Mk 1 performed extremely well in all trials. Why Indian Army did not induct Arjun MK 1 tank in induct mass numbers. Why did Indian Army went for T-90 tank. T-90 tank is inferior to Arjun Mk 1 tank. Arjun MK 1 weight is 58 tonne. So weight is not the issue. Some thing going wrong on in MOD and Indian Army. So guys what are yours view point.
Watch this..

Its the same old story. IA is comparing Arjun with T90 in terms of maintenance cost and spares. They want it to be as cheap as T90 with the numbers in 100. DRDO on other hand is asking for numbers to bring down the cost factor. There were some issues regarding firing, stabilization, protection and transportation. But they have been solved and as of now, only two issue is plaguing it. Weight and cost. DRDO is quiet sure of no issue with transportation due to its weight, but IA is apprehensive as usual.

Killswitch

Country flag
This is not going to win me any fans. I think its time to cancel the Arjun project.

Inventory:
T 72s 2000+
T90s 1200+
Arjuns 120

The Arjun runs on German spares and uses 125mm ammo vs 120mm for the other tanks. Its no good in the mountains (too heavy). Its basically a needless complication to the supply chain and is a tiny part of the armored crops. There is no significant capability in this tank that cannot be built into the other types. Scrap this sacred cow and focus on a 50 ton future tank with a 125mm barrell. It will save a lot of money and stress on the supply chain. If this tank was 100% made in India it might be different but too much of it comes from Germany. Germany is not a reliable supplier.

Steven Rogers

NaPakiRoaster
Country flag
This is not going to win me any fans. I think its time to cancel the Arjun project.

Inventory:
T 72s 2000+
T90s 1200+
Arjuns 120

The Arjun runs on German spares and uses 125mm ammo vs 120mm for the other tanks. Its no good in the mountains (too heavy). Its basically a needless complication to the supply chain and is a tiny part of the armored crops. There is no significant capability in this tank that cannot be built into the other types. Scrap this sacred cow and focus on a 50 ton future tank with a 125mm barrell. It will save a lot of money and stress on the supply chain. If this tank was 100% made in India it might be different but too much of it comes from Germany. Germany is not a reliable supplier.
Arjun uses 120mm ammo against others which uses 125mm.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
How far can they increase thrust(37kn wet in current state, can extend up to 45kn with design improvements)
And how much dry thrust can be increased? If dry thrust can be increased to sat 32 Kn or 33 KN, it becomes fit to be used in Tejas Mk2 as well. If dry thrust can be improved to 28 to 30 KN, it should be an ideal costomer for Tejas MK1 in Twine engine configuration. If we use this one in Sitara, we can improve the profile of sitara and improve its combat ability.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Maybe Mark 2 will get lucky (What about FMBT?
We must take chassis and gun of ARMATA with suitable modifications, incorporate our Battlefield management system and Put an advance version trophy like protection system in making by DRDOO. This should make our FHBT.

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag

Inventory:
T 72s 2000+
T90s 1200+
Arjuns 120

The significant capability in this tank is its better armour and crew comfort. Arjun is an MBT in the line of Abrahms, Challegers and Leopards. It is supposed to be able to take more punishment and carry on fighting.

It is not solely DRDO's fault that the engine is German and spares are German. Unless there is enough commitment to the program, there is no fiscal benefit in developing all the part in India. Establishing engine or spare industry costs money, and unless there is enough orders who would invest that money?

Had china continued to buy Russian tanks and abandoned their own projects, T-99 or the next gen chinese tanks would never have been delivered. Arjun's spare problem is easily solvable, if IA puts order for spares inventory on future estimation.

Advaidhya Tiwari

The significant capability in this tank is its better armour and crew comfort. Arjun is an MBT in the line of Abrahms, Challegers and Leopards. It is supposed to be able to take more punishment and carry on fighting.

It is not solely DRDO's fault that the engine is German and spares are German. Unless there is enough commitment to the program, there is no fiscal benefit in developing all the part in India. Establishing engine or spare industry costs money, and unless there is enough orders who would invest that money?

Had china continued to buy Russian tanks and abandoned their own projects, T-99 or the next gen chinese tanks would never have been delivered. Arjun's spare problem is easily solvable, if IA puts order for spares inventory on future estimation.
Indian terrain is highly varying with most of the fighting zones being either mountains, deserts, swamps or snowfall zone. Abrams or its type of heavy tanks are unfit to be used in such terrains. T90 is actually the best tank with the right balance of weight and fuel consumption to be used in such terrain.

We don't need Arjun tank at all for Indian condition. India has 100% indigenisation for T90 tanks with every part being made in India. It is as good as any indigenous tank except that it can't be exported.

vampyrbladez

Country flag
Indian terrain is highly varying with most of the fighting zones being either mountains, deserts, swamps or snowfall zone. Abrams or its type of heavy tanks are unfit to be used in such terrains. T90 is actually the best tank with the right balance of weight and fuel consumption to be used in such terrain.

We don't need Arjun tank at all for Indian condition. India has 100% indigenisation for T90 tanks with every part being made in India. It is as good as any indigenous tank except that it can't be exported.
Arjun has the lowest ground clearance in the world in armored category. It is excellent for a heavy tank role like Merkava IV class.

Advaidhya Tiwari

Arjun has the lowest ground clearance in the world in armored category. It is excellent for a heavy tank role like Merkava IV class.
Where will you use heavy tanks in India? Which terrain is fit for heavy tanks? Himalayan terrain of Kashmir & Arunachal? Or marshland of Gujarat? Or desert if Rajasthan? Only Bangladesh boundary is fit for heavy tanks.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles