What wrong has india done to Irk it's Neighbours?

KS

Bye bye DFI
Nepal: Nepal looks at India as a hegemonic force. For them India is a necessary evil. India wields influence in the power center of Nepal. Indian Ambassador to Nepal is sarcastically called the "Viceroy of Nepal". Can't live with us, can't live without us, that's the case with Nepal.
Agree with the rest except on Nepal.

If by "Nepal" you meant the Nepali people then its not the case. If you meant the Maoists then yeah, you are somewhat correct. If you meant Prachanda then you are bang on the dot.

pmaitra

^^

Amit is right Karthic. I have seen this in many subtle ways even when I visited Nepal some 15-16 years ago. They do harbour a complex about India and Indians.

KS

Bye bye DFI
^^

Amit is right Karthic. I have seen this in many subtle ways even when I visited Nepal some 15-16 years ago. They do harbour a complex about India and Indians.
Well then my experience was a bit different. I found the Gorkhas and the Madhesis a bit friendly and regard Indians as just "one of them". I dont have a opinion about the other tribes.

I'm also basing my opinion on the massive protests that erupted in Nepal after the Maoists chnaged the age-old tradition of an Indian Bhat functioning as the chief priest in the Pashupathinath Temple. If they did harbor a complex, my opinion, is that they would have welcomes the move.

Ofcourse these are subjective and open to debate. So feel free to disagree.

pmaitra

Well then my experience was a bit different. I found the Gorkhas and the Madhesis a bit friendly and regard Indians as just "one of them". I dont have a opinion about the other tribes.

I'm also basing my opinion on the massive protests that erupted in Nepal after the Maoists chnaged the age-old tradition of an Indian Bhat functioning as the chief priest in the Pashupathinath Temple. If they did harbor a complex, my opinion, is that they would have welcomes the move.

Ofcourse these are subjective and open to debate. So feel free to disagree.
Nepalis are friendly and hospitable, no doubt. However, that is limited to the common people.

I did not fly to Kathmandu.

I was in a group, in a convoy of two Hindustan Ambassador cars. We traveled from Patna. Here is our route:
Patna->Muzaffarpur->Raxaul->Birganj->Hetauda->Bharatpur->Kathmandu (and back the same way)

We noticed that we were being specifically targeted by the police at the several checkpoints. If every single car and truck out there was stopped for the same amount of time, I would not complain. Perhaps it was for bribes? I do not know. The two drivers of our convoy regularly travel to Nepal and back. They said that Nepalis had a hidden dislike for Indians because many of the large businesses in Nepal are actually owned by Indians. They do not like that. They feel trampled in their own country. It is understandable from their perspective. Yet, it is a fact that they have had these feeling for a long long time. Things erupted and came out in the open only recently.

Last edited:

amoy

The papers are dated back to Aug. 2008. Here are some updates -
Afghanistan's First Oil Field Opens Up | The Daily Outlook Afghanistan

However, lesser known and more obscure has been Afghanistan's considerable oil, gas and hydrocarbon reserves, which are largely distributed in the northern regions of the country. The Ministry of Mines of the government of Afghanistan had for the first time released an international tender in March 2009, soliciting suitable companies to take up the work of exploration and extraction of crude oil of three blocks of oil fields in Northern Afghanistan. Now reports are coming in that yet another Chinese company is about to win this international tender. Welcome to an Afghanistan that soon will roll out its first barrels of oil into the international markets!

The Chinese company is said to be China National Petroleum Corporation (CNPC), China's largest oil and gas company with operations in over 70 countries according to a prospectus issued by the company. The fact that it is the Chinese companies which are winning Afghan tenders one after another is certainly a curious case. It is evident that the U.S., far from having any problem with Chinese companies entering Afghanistan, is actually encouraging and perhaps facilitating their increased presence in Afghanistan.

The reason for this is interesting. We will deal with the why of it later in this article.
The near total of the proven crude oil and gas reserves of the country lie in two northern basins both close to Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan and Tajikistan borders. The Amu Darya Oil basin is the main area where the recent auctioned oil blocks are located.

The three oil blocks, each possessing the potential to feed multiple oil fields, are Anghot, Bazaarkhaami and Zamarrudsuy. These three relatively large blocks, according to preliminary estimates of Afghanistan's Ministry of Mines carried out in partnership with the U.S. Geological Survey, contain an estimated 80 million barrels of oil.

This figure, however, is a preliminary estimate with much more quantities of oil set to be discovered and added to the overall reserves of these oil blocks. The planned development of three oil blocks, in all likelihood and under normal conditions, are to be only the very first steps in a long journey that will see more of Afghanistan's oil and gas reserves opened up for international participation. The Amu Darya Oil Basin, to which these auctioned oil blocks belong, contains well above 1 billion barrels of crude oil.

This oil basin, however, extends to neighboring Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan and is, in fact, a shared basin with the three countries having their share of the resources in the basin. Later and if the exploration and extraction projects of the Amu Darya Basin is expanded on the Afghan side of the basin, then a legal regime of sharing the oil and gas reserves should be developed and concluded by Afghanistan with Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan in an amicable manner. If these two countries decide to explore further their shares of the basin, again the need for such a legal regime arises.

The politics of oil and gas exploration in Afghanistan
The fact that China has won two major mineral resources extraction contracts in Afghanistan plays into the larger plans diligently pursued by the Chinese to substantially increase their presence in central and south Asian energy markets. As widely-known, China's growing economy and its insatiable thirst for ever more energy, especially from the Middle East, has compelled the country's planners to aggressively push for integrating a broad array of countries in central Asia as well as Pakistan and increasingly Afghanistan into either supplier or transit partners of its energy requirements.

With winning the oil blocks in the Afghan Amu Darya Oil Basin, China has secured a valuable foothold in the heart of Afghan-Uzbek-Turkmen energy basins. Currently, plans by China are in full swing to build a sprawling network of energy pipelines throughout central Asia transporting Middle Eastern and central Asian energy to its energy hubs in Eastern China.

80 million barrels of proven oil in these three oil blocks is certainly too small a quantity to compensate for the massive costs of developing the $300 million refinery in Northern Afghanistan and other costs associated with extracting this quantity of oil. However, what is attractive for China over longer term is the prospect of reaching out to larger reserves in the Afghan-Uzbek-Turkmen region and slowly expanding its presence in a larger swath of this part of central Asian energy market.

Americans are only too delighted to see an increasing engagement by China in Afghanistan's nascent mineral-extraction industries. This is, by and large, in keeping with the broader American strategy of "containment" of China on a global scale by making American and Chinese political and economic interests overlap and thus becoming more inter-locked. This is not confined to Afghanistan but in other countries where Chinese companies actively look out for resource extraction, the U.S. pursues greater engagement of China by locking into its expanding economic interests.

This more or less makes Afghanistan a chessboard of a silent American-Chinese economic strategizing, whereby the U.S. increasingly locks into China's economic interests. As we move closer to 2014, a number of important resource extraction projects in Afghanistan such as the Ainak copper and other coal and mineral extraction projects start to take off. The security issue is a challenge and a concern but at least for the larger ones such as the Ainak copper project, even insurgent groups such as the Taliban would not want to stop them altogether.
Updated on September 07, 2011 by Mehdi Rezaie

Phenom

what did the Sri Lankan Tamils gain?. We only lost due to domestic politics even the people(read Sri lankan tamils) these politicos claimed to be supporting lost everything due to their high-handedness, If Millions of Tamils live in squalid camps today i hold Indian Tamils politicios as responsible if not more than then Sri Lankans.
What the Tamil politicians did vis-a-vis SL is no different from what Jyothi Basu and his collagues did vis-a-vis the Bengalis of East Pakistan. But since things turned out differently Jyothi Basu is consiedered a hero, while the Tamil politicians are considered villians.

Also RAW for the record was founded in september 1968 in the wake of the 62 & 65 wars. The sinhala-Tamil conflict has been going on for as long as one can remember ;the major injustices happened in 1948 with the "Ceylon Citizenship act of 1948 which was followed up by the declaration that sinhala was to be the only official language in 1956.
SL Tamil conflict started in the early 80s, after the riots of 77 and 83.

Phenom

SL has allowed access to Pak ships earlier and now they are allowing Chinese spy ships to use their bases. BD has harbored anti-India groups earlier and may go back to the same policy if BNP comes back to power. Nepali Maoist have made their dislike of India pretty clear.

What India needs to do is to send out a clear message of "You are either with us or against us". If they chose to side with India and address our concerns then they should be rewarded through economic aid, but if they choose to go against us then they should pay for it. We need to have a carrot and stick approach, right now we only have the carrot and not the stick. Most of the neighbors believe India is a bully, its time we prove them right.

Param

My guess is the author means India's relations with Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh in particular let me outline the reasons for our failures nation by nation.

NEPAL- India has for long had deep cultural and religious relations with Nepal and for the majority of our history the relations have been mutually beneficial and friendly. however of late the Indian foreign policy in Nepal has faltered and a lot of Anti-India sentiment has come to the fore there is but one overwhelming reason for this "The failure of India's government to support the Nepali citizens in the maintenance of Nepali democracy".India stood by while the usurper King Gyanendra(as seen by a lot of Nepalis)did all he could to curb the freedoms of ordinary Nepalis. Our Foreign office was(i am sad to state) simply too myopic and stubborn to realize that unless we stepped in to restore order and return government to the people of Nepal others would use it to further their ends; the Chinese did exactly that they used the vacuum in Kathmandu to foster closer ties with the Maoists and got closer to the new government of Nepal.None of this would have happened if we had supported Mr Girija prasad koirala(or any other popular Nepali politician) to form a government in Kathmandu.However all is not lost we still have close ties with most of the powers that be in Nepal and we can turn this around.

Pakistan-our less than neighborly relations with our western neighbor are a byproduct of the shared birth of our nations. they are simply put dependent on one word "Kashmir".The wounds of partition are deep on both sides of the border and no wound is deeper than the ever festering wound of Kashmir, as long as this issue remains i see no love lost between India and Pakistan.

[B]Sri Lanka-More than anything it is domestic Indian politics and the question of the status of the Tamil people in Sri Lanka that have hampered our relations with our southern neighbor, anything related to Sri Lanka Sri lankan Tamils becomes a rallying call for a Variety of south Indian politicos to throw the entire southern half of India out of sync. It was on the insistence (and subsequent political pressure & blackmail)of the Tamil politicos that LTTE was formed and trained in India by the IA and RAW, though we later abandoned velupillai as he was too dangerous the damage had been done, the IPKF debacle cut short our commitment to put troops on the ground in sri Lanka to maintain the peace. The subsequent assassination of Rajiv Gandhi by a group his mother helped form was the last straw India simply pulled out, the Sri Lankans kept calling us to come help but we pulled out we backed down to terror threats and political pressure(from Tamil politicians). Pakistan and china filled the vacuum left by us when we should have supplied arms and ammunition to the sri Lankans they did wile we stood by, when we should have negotiated with the LTTE the Norwegians did; the entire saga of Indian involvement in Sri Lanka is the story of a nation trying to work while one leg and one hand(the Tamils of India) refused to have anything but what was unacceptable to the sri Lankans(an independent EELAM).[/B]

Bangladesh-Bangladesh was supposed to be our natural all weather friend , we had granted it life hadn't we?This was the attitude that led to a lackadaisical approach to Bangladeshi affairs in the years after 1971, the same RAW that had enjoyed a strong intelligence network in Bangladesh in 1971 was unable to prevent the assassination of "Bangabandhu" in 1975. then began the down fall of Indo-Bangladeshi relations. the Indian polity was by and large unable to overcome the shock of Mujib's death and followed a Knee-jerk reaction in cutting relations with Ziaur rehman, It also did not help that under Ziaur Bangladesh was extremely close to the United states while India in the aftermath of the "enterprise incident" was seen as closer to the U.S.S.R than most. Again our Myopia stopped us from dealing with a man most in Bangladesh called as "Mr clean" for his fair way of work(the coup not withstanding). The end result has been that India generally has impeccable relations with bangladesh whenever the awami league(Mujib's party) is in power and indifferent to bad relations whenever the BNP is in power.
To put it simply, we used the ethic situation in SL for our selfish strategic interests.The central govt did not take any steps because of "pressure" or any nonsense like that. The centre got involved to checkmate US influence in SL.
Once our interests were addressed we abandoned our support to those guys.Indira and Rajiv did not lead coalition govts like today, therefore there was no question of pressure or blackmal from regional leaders. So think before you post.

amoy

Tamils
as a cross-border ethnic group SL gvnmt (Sinhala dominated) would see the ethnic conflict as something 'internal' despite Tamils'ethnic /historical affinity with Indian 'compatriots', and LTTE as a separatist / terrorist thorn.

Similarly China is also very wary of Korea's clout among the Korean minority inside China. Despite atrocities Indonesians (Muslim majority) committed against Chinese Indonesians China made no interference except verbal condemnation.

Sometimes ethnic 'sentiments' don't go well along with 'national interest'.

Param

Tamils
as a cross-border ethnic group SL gvnmt (Sinhala dominated) would see the ethnic conflict as something 'internal' despite Tamils'ethnic /historical affinity with Indian 'compatriots', and LTTE as a separatist / terrorist thorn.

Similarly China is also very wary of Korea's clout among the Korean minority inside China. Despite atrocities Indonesians (Muslim majority) committed against Chinese Indonesians China made no interference except verbal condemnation.

Sometimes ethnic 'sentiments' don't go well along with 'national interest'.
Besides there is not much China could have done then, during the cold war. And you comfortably left out Chinese support to insurgents in Myanmar who have ethnic ties with China.

pankaj nema

Country flag
Sri Lanka helped Pakistan in 1971 war . SO to take revenge
India helped LTTE initially with weapons training and funds

India US relations were very bad in the 80s and 90s ( because of Cold war dynamics and
Punjab , Kashmir and NPT ) India was up against US ; China; Pak troika

And in 1989 Kashmir problem started

So we had NO CHOICE But To Abandon SriLankan Tamils

Param

India US relations were very bad in the 80s and 90s ( because of Cold war dynamics and

Are you paid for this???

pankaj nema

Country flag
India was Fighting for its OWN territorial Integrity in the form of Punjab and KAshmir

So to expect that we can fight for our territory while supporting the BREAK UP of another country Sri Lanka
is like asking for all ANTI INDIA forces and Countries to Come and Bash up India

Because of Cold war USA Also Supported Punjab separatists and Kashmiri separatists

KS

Bye bye DFI

Apart from other fallcies in your post, we did not abandon the Tamils in 89..the betrayal happened in 87.

India was Fighting for its OWN territorial Integrity in the form of Punjab and KAshmir

So to expect that we can fight for our territory while supporting the BREAK UP of another country Sri Lanka
is like asking for all ANTI INDIA forces and Countries to Come and Bash up India

Because of Cold war USA Also Supported Punjab separatists and Kashmiri separatists
Hypocrisy/double standards right ..this whole business of fighting insurgency on one hand and supporting insurgents on another hand ?

That is what big powers do and do without batting an eyelid when it suits their interests. Just like how US professes democracy and at the same time supports the Middle East dictatorships.

So why should not we ?

Last edited:

Param

Look dude, I try learning something from a guy called Oracle. I disagree with him regarding the SL issue but atleast he is brutally honest with his opinion. He does not come up with crap about threat from China or Pakistan regarding the SL issue.
So, you can just go ahead and say that they are not Indian and so you do not care. We are not fools to believe the weird reasons that you give here.

pankaj nema

Country flag
Tamilian members Please DO yourselves a Favour

Ask Mr G Parthasarthy ( For whom I have the HIGHEST REGARD )
and Mr Mani Shankar Aiyar BOTH Tamilian and FOREIGN POLICY EXPERTS that

"HOW could Indian Policy BE ANY DIFFERENT in SL civil war Given the STATE of OUR economy
and INDIA 's relations WITH USA , PAKISTAN AND CHINA in the 80s and 90s
AND given India' INTERNAL problems such as Punjab and Kashmir "

Param

"HOW could Indian Policy BE ANY DIFFERENT in SL civil war Given the STATE of OUR economy
Dude you know NOTHING about the SL issue's relevance in TN. You no nothing about the caste angle. Caste was a very big factor. Prabhakaran was said to have been close to some Dravidian leaders . Both the names you have mentioned are not non-Brahmins.

I cannot go into detail here on issues such as caste, and the bias some had from the very beginning.

KS

Bye bye DFI

How would the Congress sycophants support the assassins of their beloved Gandhi ?

And why it could not be different. I have already said the all the big powers do exhibit double standards in their dealings with countries and why should India be the exception ?

Along with this Lankan botchup the next major harakiri was the support of the Maoists by the UPA I during the Nepalese civil war. Stupid leftists ought to have been shown the middle finger but the MMS govt cowered and made an enemy where there was none.

Last edited:

pankaj nema

Country flag
For the life of me ,I CANNOT understand that why should we have FOUR ENEMIES

Are Three enemies Pakistan; China ; Bangladesh NOT ENOUGH

What was THE need FOR a FOURTH enemy in the SOUTH ie Sri Lanka

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles