What was the state of faith in ancient India and subcontinent?

SANITY

I know Hinduism is an old religion and the only prehistoric surviving religion today but I don't know how widespread it was back then.

Were the majority of people hinduism's followers? Were there atheists? There must have been atheists in every civilization and arguably older than faith but most major civilizations are identified by the faith that has existed on specific lands nd grown over some period of time.

As far as I know India overall has never been strictly religious, it has been a land of diverse traditions and cultures and practices, though.

Were the majority theists or is it just that when compared to other faiths, hindu faith was more dominant? Can hinduism be rightly called true identity of subcontinent since it's inception?

DingDong

Country flag
I know Hinduism is an old religion and the only prehistoric surviving religion today but I don't know how widespread it was back then.

Were the majority of people hinduism's followers? Were there atheists? There must have been atheists in every civilization and arguably older than faith but most major civilizations are identified by the faith that has existed on specific lands nd grown over some period of time.

As far as I know India overall has never been strictly religious, it has been a land of diverse traditions and cultures and practices, though.

Were the majority theists or is it just that when compared to other faiths, hindu faith was more dominant? Can hinduism be rightly called true identity of subcontinent since it's inception?
Please consult Romila Thapar.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
We all came from apelike primates, our religion is to earn food & find shelter.

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!

Permit me to go elaborate here ( it's ok if you don't I'm gonna do it anyway ... lol )
I have been thinking about this for a long time .... basically why was India so successful ?
I attribute it to Hinduism and basically if you see the average Hindu income today, in the US, (there was a thread here) you will see that Hindus leave others biting dust. Hinduism played a key role ... it organized society and gave people a set of values and beliefs that they could work with. To be sure, all religions do this but there can be only one "best" set of values . "best" being defined by the outcome , which is the civil , material and spiritual well being of people.
In that sense , theism and atheism become irrelevant to the discourse. This is one reason why Hinduism thrives without a central authority.
So yes Hinduism can be called the identity of the subcontinent.

Addendum:
Since the Hinduism(= sum total of cultural contentiousness of people ) we see today has been corrupted by "secular" practices, mainly Marxism , Islam (Sufi crap and hindus going to ajmer sharif yuck !) and Christianity , we are unlikely to see the subcontinent revert to it golden stature. Not to say India will not be successful , but it'll just be a shadow of itself. A pseudo - islamic continental sized country full of bangladeshi crime gangs, semi-whore Marxist feminists and pu$$yfutted men. To be sure the so called right wing is also a massive set of retards but sadly they have become a necessary evil.

SANITY

theism and atheism become irrelevant to the discourse. This is one reason why Hinduism thrives without a central authority.
So yes Hinduism can be called the identity of the subcontinent.

Addendum:
Since the Hinduism(= sum total of cultural contentiousness of people ) we see today has been corrupted by "secular" practices, mainly Marxism , Islam (Sufi crap and hindus going to ajmer sharif yuck !) and Christianity , we are unlikely to see the subcontinent revert to it golden stature. Not to say India will not be successful , but it'll just be a shadow of itself. A pseudo - islamic continental sized country full of bangladeshi crime gangs, semi-whore Marxist feminists and pu$$yfutted men. To be sure the so called right wing is also a massive set of retards but sadly they have become a necessary evil.
You give a good view of Sanātana Dharma and explain how it compatible with all and the reason it has thrived for so long but you don't show equal faith in it.

What are your views on some of the current hindutav promoters enjoying media light mainly Yogi Adityanath who may be a yogi but his head is never calm, Shankaracharya giving weird comments about Sai Baba and his followers and also dividing human race categorising them as per religion instead of Karma, as well as Retard RSS and VHP, Do you think their views of faith even comply with the principles of Hindu faith teachings.

A question that you didn't answer. Is it just that Subcontinetal people by default are tagged Hindu or were the majority of ancient India were Hindus as well?

Also this thing called Caste which is given to people who are converted by RSS/VHP. I have not known Hinduism mentioning or promoting caste sytem. Does caste actually comes from Hindu scriptures?

SANITY

I attribute it to Hinduism and basically if you see the average Hindu income today, in the US, (there was a thread here) you will see that Hindus leave others biting dust.
Hindus in US are more educated in certain areas as well way higher income compared to average american but that's not necessarily an effect of Hinduism. Why? Look at our income in India. Less than a dollar for millions of people. It's the people who don't find better education and opportunities but are hard working leave to foreign nation and thus the difference. It does not show effect of hinduism.

Tell me. Who is a Hindu? All the natives of Indian subcontinent or the people who follow hindu scriptures and Shastra or does it also include all the people who identify themselves as hindu even if they don't follow hindu the preachings of Hindu scriptures or someone else?

SANITY

We all came from apelike primates, our religion is to earn food & find shelter.
Wish everyone understood that. So many hate and differences within our society will be solved. That's the best answer.

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
You give a good view of Sanātana Dharma and explain how it compatible with all and the reason it has thrived for so long but you don't show equal faith in it.

What are your views on some of the current hindutav promoters enjoying media light mainly Yogi Adityanath who may be a yogi but his head is never calm, Shankaracharya giving weird comments about Sai Baba and his followers and also dividing human race categorising them as per religion instead of Karma, as well as Retard RSS and VHP, Do you think their views of faith even comply with the principles of Hindu faith teachings.

A question that you didn't answer. Is it just that Subcontinetal people by default are tagged Hindu or were the majority of ancient India were Hindus as well?

Also this thing called Caste which is given to people who are converted by RSS/VHP. I have not known Hinduism mentioning or promoting caste sytem. Does caste actually comes from Hindu scriptures?
I don't "show" faith because my "Hinduism" is different from yours and most other peoples Hinduism.

Adityanath , Shankaracharya etc are as I said a necessary evil. Morons they are but they are needed, simply because they cater to a class of people that need them, and they survive because their services are needed. if that sounds like tautology to you , it is because it is. If you imagine hinduism as a group with as divergent a views as possible then you will see that all ideas will have buyers because people are there on every spectrum of belief. I don't need any baba/guru and there are ideas geared to my beliefs too.

Hindus in US are more educated in certain areas as well way higher income compared to average american but that's not necessarily an effect of Hinduism. Why? Look at our income in India. Less than a dollar for millions of people. It's the people who don't find better education and opportunities but are hard working leave to foreign nation and thus the difference. It does not show effect of hinduism.

Tell me. Who is a Hindu? All the natives of Indian subcontinent or the people who follow hindu scriptures and Shastra or does it also include all the people who identify themselves as hindu even if they don't follow hindu the preachings of Hindu scriptures or someone else?
On US Hindus- Open the thread and read about it. There are two differences between US Hindu's and other populations - religion and race. So its either religion/culture(in hinduism they are the same) or race. Hindus also have the lowest case of conversions and intermarriages with other races ( 6% i think) . Why do you think it is ??? Tell you what , open that thread and see how Hindus beat pretty much everything and everyone including Jews.

On Hindus being poor in INDIA- That my friend is the effect of one thousand years of Genocide and colonization in the physical realm and corruption of belief system in the spiritual realm that probably began before the genocide stuff. See the growing middle class and its religious practices and compare it to the economically lower class. World of difference. My grandpa was a vadapav seller and today I am fluent in 3 languages and intermediate in a fourth European language. Also most "lower cast" people have a perpetual victim complex against higer casts .... all of it may not be false , but it surly is not valid now ... anyway when stricter and different practices of hinduism are referred to as "Brahmanism" and an US vs them dynamic is set up to fight "oppression" you get a set of perpetual morons. No different from Pakis blaming "CIA/RAW/MOSSAD" for $hitty things they do to each other.

On CAST- cast is neither mentioned in the vedas or geeta , it was introduced with the manusmriti. so according to authority there is no cast in Hinduism e.g. Arya samaj is cast less.

On Who is HINDU -
Thats a tough one as there is no authority to say so . If you want REAL Hinduism , uncorrupted by The three ideologies then very very few (note I say this immaterial of cast or region).

Wish everyone understood that. So many hate and differences within our society will be solved. That's the best answer.
LOL this is another of that "all religions are same only" bullshit. Not that it is factually incorrect , but that is something people say because they don't know what to say and it feel so right to say. It is utterly disgusting when I read how Koran was read in a temple and $hit. but I am sure 99% people feel good and derive their "secular badge" from this idotic crap.

Here is a thought for you ... why are india & Pak so different ? ans: Hinduism . As soon as it was wiped out from Pak , it was just a downward slide ...lol language , most cultural things and food all is same but one place is a hopeless hellhole. Don't put it on secularism now .... lol even BD is secular.

MY ADVISE TO YOU - Read and explore different ideas and meet LOTS of people. .... you are looking for your place in Hinduism and your beliefs are not solidified. It is a wonderful journey (it was for me lol) and stay away from mainstream anti hindu propaganda.

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
What is your Hinduism and what is mine according to you?
Too difficult to explain my system of beliefs .... but from your replies I think you are not sure what you believe in. lol ... but I am no omnipotent.

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
I want to answer u in reverse order.

What is unique points in Hinduism
1.Hinduism have million gods/murthi's.
2.Why Hinduism strictly follows class/caste system.

Aryans (from Central asia) worshiped fire in their language(Mantras/veda's in Sanskrit) in form of Yagna.When they started migrating towards south.Here IWC people/many tribes worshiped different gods (stones/murthi's).

These aryans started Puja to these murthi's in Sanskrit,natives called them as Brahman and their language is GOD'S language. So Brahman's got respect&commission.Natives thought these WHITE ppl are Angels,we must obey them.Aryans limited their Yagna to Raja's and gave their full time job is chant mantras in front of idol for commission/respect.Brahmins slowly spread across India,where ever tribals(we all are tribals once) worshiped idol,they started vedic chants.

Hinduism Base is Brahmins &their language (Sanskrit)they didn't teach their language to ppl.So they became Noble class,Ruler/Rajas 2nd class,Vysyas 3rd,Farmers 4th so on
The so called AIT has been refuted my friend through genetic studies.

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
That is why i used Migration,check central asia their language is similar to sanskrit &they worshiped fire.

C'mon Brahmins are in general white compared to all castes... later they mixed with natives
lol ... as a brahmin its a great ego trip lol but ya I get you ..... But its something we should not stress.

archie

Country flag
That is why i used Migration,check central asia their language is similar to sanskrit &they worshiped fire.

C'mon Brahmins are in general white compared to all castes... later they mixed with natives
You are confounded by the so called western scholors.. There was no migration .. Hinduism as such is not based on what some one said or what is written.. its based on principles of natural justice .. Since its the Principle that matters the language in which it is expressed becomes immaterial... Those who understand that basic fact dont care about anything else

The documents and verses that we have are just one portion of the knowlede of sciences pertaining to every walk of life..

Brahmains and caste system is just a knowlede system that no longer serves its purpose.. its more like what we call political class, Engineers , Merchants , Bankers, Professors and so on..

If you equate modern professions to the ancient equvalents .. you see bramins more likely sitting on the professor pedestal ( Essentially knowledge worker).. Its more like the elitism of top universities today.. .. Just that it extended several generations ..

sorcerer

Country flag
HIndu is a person who follows a certain way of life according to a set of scriptures and shastras.
Hinduism doesnt enforce or give threat to follow a particular belief.(No death threats and 70 or odd virgins). It has a more mature view on every being , its conduct, behaviour and psych.
It all boils down to Karma or WHat we do in life, meaning conduct of one in society. Isnt all basic forms of every religion try to form the basic "conduct" of society.
The scriptures, Samhitas or Shastras are more to do attaining a higher self minus the weed or threats.

Well!! We all know Karma is a biatch and its watching...Karma knows what you did last summer...

sorcerer

Country flag
Why so much worry about Migration.......... we all are migrated from AFRICA
16th century Europeans migrated to N/S America and Australia and killed natives, settled in their lands.

Aryans(Central asia Tribes)are migrated on 2000 BC.Their language Sanskrit has roots in Central Asia. IWC is Dravidian civilization.Period.

There is no science/knowledge in Vedas/Puranas/Upanishad,they are simply trash.These aryans are nomads,they worshipped fire(till today more importance gives to foolish Yajna's) in their language,difference is Natives don't understand sanskrit like Chinese/Spanish these aryan tribes exploited this and said this is GODLY LANGUAGE we are mediators to God/Pujaari's :lol: and started puja every Idol so millions of gods. Until unless we recognize this fact we will suffer with ignorance of EVERYTHING is in Vedas,Indians mfd flights 70000 BC bla bla bla.
Well, science or the human kind today is too young to understand whats written in ancient manuscripts, be it of any religion.
I think you are not reallly aware of quiet a few books which form the basis of many scientific inventions and patents today. Well, Google is your friend. Just because we are so acute or doesnt have the knowledge to percieve ancient rich civilization(in the real sense of "civil" society) doesnt mean that they are blah blah blah.

sorcerer

Country flag
There is no aryan civilization,only civilization in the INDIAN SUBCONTINENT IS IWC i.e Dravidian civilization.I studied vedas they are simply TRASH,it has only some slokas/mantras to do puja,thats it.Why so much fuss about it,we still have 10000's of sanskrit speakers why can't they produce enough proof from this socalled veda/purana ans show to world.

Why they talk trash instead of showing proof.
Study...Great.. but there is a huge difference between study and understanding.
The world over people are trying to decipher the inner meaning of vedas and find the secrets hidden behind the words.(Germans for a start)
A few sanskrit people have literature underlining scientific principle behind vedas and its secrets.

Old literature was always written with certain poetic and philosophical styles. Cuz literature was NOT TRASH. its considered a work of art .(Ps: dont compare it with Sheldon Classics!!!! )Just because we cant understand the beauty behind the words doesnt mean its Trash.

I believe that Its us who devalue ourself without knowing the true power behind our own tradition, art and literatures.

Note: You dont study poojas , you understand the ACT. Performing anything without understanding is pure mockery of any art..

Srinivas_K

Country flag
There is no aryan civilization,only civilization in the INDIAN SUBCONTINENT IS IWC i.e Dravidian civilization.I studied vedas they are simply TRASH,it has only some slokas/mantras to do puja,thats it.Why so much fuss about it,we still have 10000's of sanskrit speakers why can't they produce enough proof from this socalled veda/purana ans show to world.

Why they talk trash instead of showing proof.
You are not criticizing the Vedas but asking for proof to believe in them. Well ...........the proof is difficult to demonstrate practically and the practices are thousands of years old. I have no idea if there are people who are capable of doing what those great Rishis has done. Some people have achieved enlightenment like Sai Baba and all though.

Practically demonstrating I mean, one is going against the GOD's creation and his rules. We are meant to be playing in his world according to his rules. What these Rishis has done in the past is some kind of rebellion against the world and GOD's rules, may be he wanted to to be like that, who knows .....

There are some observations done by Rishis which are proved correct by science.

Last edited:

dastan

The state of faith in ancient India was immature insensitive un cultural racial paganism . It was upon realising this fact and the fundamental flaws in pseudo faiths like paganism that in later centuries in Kings of various kingdoms themselves who ruled bharatvarsh allowed proponents of more rationale, modern and logical abrahamic faiths to set foot on this land and teach people the true path to salvation. Hinduism is nothing but amalgam of few pagan rituals and practices that has survived through the centuries as some people of the subcontinent were too adamant to let of their ego (still are).

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles