What did you Eat Today?

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Civfanatic never had spicy dahi pakoda chat :laugh:

pmaitra

Today, I ate something full of pricks! Yes, it's a Cactus.

Here are some pictures, and how I prepared it.

Deep Fried Cactus (Nopales)

Here is the cactus paddle, or cactus pad in short. The pricks have been removed, but not very well.

Here is the cactus paddle, with the remaining pricks removed and washed. The pricks are removed by holding a knife at an angle with the surface against (or with) the angle of the pricks. The cactus paddle was chopped into thin strips. One might also consider making it into cubes. One strip is placed to show the cross section. It can be very slimy.

The cactus strips were salted and left in a strainer. This helps take out the water, and also the slime. The more time it spends like this, the more water will it lose, and the crispier will it be.

The cactus strips are placed in pre-boiled water.

The cactus strips are now boiled briefly to take out the remaining slime and a bit of bitterness which some varieties might have.

The boiled cactus strips are strained.

The boiled cactus strips are now fried in a deep frier at a temperature of ~190 degrees Centigrade, for about 10 minutes, or until it becomes golden brown, in peanut oil (recommended).

The fried cactus strips are now taken out and placed on kitchen tissue to absorb the remaining oil. These strips were partly soft, partly crispy.

How did it taste?
Yummy! It does have a tarty taste to it, but it has a flavour of its own, and one should definitely try it at least once.

amankmr17

omelet and juice for morning
sandwich and smoothie for lunch
spaghetti for dinner

thats all

amankmr17

omelet and juice for morning
sandwich and smoothie for lunch
spaghetti for dinner

thats all

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Aah! finally succeeded in making an authentic tasting Dal Bati Churma! I just love it!

Got hold of some Afghani Hing, which is a 1000 times better than the stale stuff available locally... Think that made all the difference!

Next project: Nihari Puri and Son Halwa. Time to go germinate some whole wheat...

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
Aah! finally succeeded in making an authentic tasting Dal Bati Churma! I just love it!

Got hold of some Afghani Hing, which is a 1000 times better than the stale stuff available locally... Think that made all the difference!

Next project: Nihari Puri and Son Halwa. Time to go germinate some whole wheat...
Dal Bhati is a Bihari dish right? Or is there a Bengali derivative.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Nope. Dal Bati is a Rajasthani dish. Litti is a Bihari dish. Both are considered poor man's food.

Dal Bhati is a Bihari dish right? Or is there a Bengali derivative.

PredictablyMalicious

Punjabi
Banned
Breakfast: tofu sandwich + 2 egg whites + 1 egg whole + small glass of milk to wash it down
Lunch: 3 chicken breasts with an oven baked potato
Dinner: 4 hot dogs without buns + 1 chicken burger patty + a yogurt

I like to eat chicken patties and hot dogs without the buns. Save dat dere calories and acquire dem proteinz

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
That's called "All brawn no brain" diet.

Breakfast: tofu sandwich + 2 egg whites + 1 egg whole + small glass of milk to wash it down

I like to eat chicken patties and hot dogs without the buns. Save dat dere calories and acquire dem proteinz

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
That's not "healthy". It's just high protein.

"Healthy" means balance of all food groups.

I like to eat super healthy on weekdays so that I can get hammered on the weekends and eat junk without affecting my gains too much.

badra100

Cheerios w/ soy milk, orange juice, white wine risotto stuffed peppers (find a vegan wine)I think I'll have some kind of pasta for dinner.

SPIEZ

Country flag

Niiiiiiice.

hitesh

alo da pratha with ghee and 1glass of milk ,then went to my orchard to have some guava .

in da afternoon fried jira rice with chicken gravy

and for today's dinner i am going to have paneer with peas again with gravy + chapatis

pkroyal

Kashmiri kaliyaan ( florets of cauliflower cooked in milk & spices)
Paanch mel daal ( 05 kinds of lentils made as one)
tossed salad
yogurt
home made tandoori chappatis
Gajar ka halwa ( home made)
washed down with Kesar kahwa

it was a late lunch at about 1530h
had a great New year party with family the previous night & returned home at 2.00 AM

Global Defence

New threads

Articles