Two key Army units moved towards Delhi: Indian Express

Status
Not open for further replies.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
For all the research done for this article, you would think something specific would be said here beyond "a sizable unit" and "an entire unit of Mech Inf". Size and specific designation of the unit should be stated. There is an editor who needs schooling in military subjects.
Number of Armed Forces officials (serving & retired) laughed saying such goal is not operationally possible as it requires numerous approvals from various Army quarters itself for several dozen formalities ranging from ammunition sanction to foot soldier re-deployment.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Read hit&run paaji's post which expanded on mine. It's plan B to pass on the buck just like the tamasha Barkha did after getting exposed.

I'm in no mood to entertain your antics today...:doh:
oh c'mon. Media has been bashing govt and exposing scam after scam and you are telling me they are in bed with the same govt ?

i was sickened at how media was putting anna on a high pedestal...im sure govt directed the media to do that. without media the anna movement would have collapsed even before it had started.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
It is a minister in nexus with arms lobby according to the report I posted. This minister used Shekhar Gupta. What a sucker!!

Any guesses as to which minister is close to Gupta who he would trust?
One would not know for sure.

However this is interesting:

Senior minister Sutradhar of coup report?

ources involved in tracking sensitive developments claim that a senior minister of the UPA government was the mastermind of the April 4 front page item in a daily newspaper about a suspected coup attempt. The sources claim that the minister is connected - through his close relative - with the defense procurement lobbies gunning for Chief of Army Staff General V K Singh,and that the decision to "trick the newspaper into running a baseless report was to drain away support for General Singh within the political class",who could be expected to unite against any effort at creating a Pakistan-style situation in India. However,the minister in question appears to have miscalculated the response of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Defense Minister to the report."The minister assumed that both would decline comment on the report, in view of their strained relations with the Army chief, but instead both came out foursquare against the newspaper.This surprised both the minister as well as journalists who relied on him for the initial information," a source claimed.

Others say that a close relative of the minister in question has been "regularly meeting with arms merchants and their lobbyists,including on his many visits abroad".They say that the Intelligence Bureau seems clueless about such activities,as "its net does not cover the influential people in question". Those connected with national security say that "the net of arms merchants is very wide, with Dubai,London and Bangkok being the three locations where they usually wine,dine and otherwise entertain VVIPs from India". In order to ensure protection for their operations,a lot of which involves dubious money transfers, such agencies and individuals "usually function as auxiliaries of foreign intelligence agencies, and are told to ferret out sensitive and secret information from their contacts". These sources claim that "non-declared units of selected NATO member country intelligence agencies (especially one with a huge presence in the defense procurement market in India ) regularly liase with lobbyists and employees of arms manufacturers,and use them for operations such as honeytrapping".In such a context,"their link with relatives of ministers is a worry."

According to these sources,the minister in question "is well-known to senior journalistic levels of the publication" that ran the coup report. A military source was "surprised that the newspaper in question ran such a story,in view of the high level of competence of its senior staff", but added that " a senior minister being the source of the initial information would explain their belief in the truth of the report". Other military sources warned that the "objective behind the leak was not merely to discredit the Chief but to paralyse the army in its training function". Already, procurements have slowed to dangerous levels because of repeated - and often accurate - claims of graft. Should the military's freedom to undertake routine training exercises of the sort described in the report get curtailed" because of imaginary fears of a coup, "the military would very soon lose its fighting edge". Military sources claim that even some civilian officials "are linked to arms lobbyists and through them to foreign intelligence agencies",and that these "want to take away even the little freedom of action that is left with the military" since the Nehru-era policy of removing of discretion from the uniformed services to the civilian side. While no one accuses the senior minister of wanting to degrade the capabilities of the army, these sources say that he has perhaps unwittingly "played into the hands of certain arms lobbyists who are salivating not only at the prospect of garnering huge army orders during the balance of the UPA's term in office" but "who seek to weaken the training function of the army and thereby render the force less effective against the sort of challenges that it is facing in Kashmir and other threatres."...

Senior minister Sutradhar of coup report?

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
oh c'mon. Media has been bashing govt and exposing scam after scam and you are telling me they are in bed with the same govt ?
There is no black and white here.
Parts of the media are indeed in bed with the govt. or to be more correct - politicians.

Reactions: KS

KS

Bye bye DFI

i was sickened at how media was putting anna on a high pedestal...im sure govt directed the media to do that. without media the anna movement would have collapsed even before it had started.
Anna was the flavor of the season...you just couldnt have ignored him. Period.

Even if the TV channels had completely boycotted him...social netorking sites were hyper with that news and ultimately only TRP of the news channels would have been lost.

But this is a very planned, specific leak and as per news unfolding, seems to be the work of a senior minister. Knowing congi culture, its a no-brainer that it would have had the blessings of the first family.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
Troop movement report: Distrust between govt, military?

He admits the title doesn't implies, he is an editor of the Newspaper but for this news he puts the shoes of a journalist/prime investigator (quite in hurry/eager), stammering quite often, asking others to judge but not owning the responsibility of a shoddy reporting which is clearly against Army.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I like Shekhar Gupta, but he is waffling and he running scared!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

You are right that without the media Anna would have been a Zero.

But then the hue crowd that he pulled if not reported would make the media look stupid!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Well sir he certainly has been caught with his foot in his mouth!
Yet, one thing intrigues me is what is he trying to imply when he says the DGMO was shifted as DGAR?

Is he saying that he is right about his story?

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
You are right that without the media Anna would have been a Zero.

But then the hue crowd that he pulled if not reported would make the media look stupid!
They could have reported it and given it an hour of coverage on daily basis rather than more than 15 hrs coverage on daily basis and hyping it up.

If they show same determination in highlighting delays in arms acquisation and on foreign policy then good things could come out of it.

Galaxy

Country flag
Indian Express should be banned for defaming Indian Army. Shekhar Gupta should be booked for treason.

It was all done by Government to defame V.K. Singh. One of the most shameless thing done by GoI.

Did anyone noticed one thing about Shekhar ? He came to defend himself on Congress-IBN in front of Rajdeep Sardesai only. He was unconvinced and talking like Gay in front of Rajdeep and Rajdeep was deliberately asking simple question. All Congress + Paid Media drama over and at end, Damage already done against V.K. Singh and also futuristic signal to IA that if you go against Government/System. We play the music !!

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
If they wanted to do it, as being painted, i dont think it would have taken them all that time to move to Delhi, with cold start, they have practiced moving in hostile area at great speed. Within India they can move at even higher speed.

this is malicious stories from the paid media, to defame the institution.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Coming to the other half of the problem, why IA didn't notify ministry on its troop movement in NCR? Has IA replied with any answer?

Galaxy

Country flag
They could have reported it and given it an hour of coverage on daily basis rather than more than 15 hrs coverage on daily basis and hyping it up.

If they show same determination in highlighting delays in arms acquisation and on foreign policy then good things could come out of it.
It was impossible. Whole Social media networking, Sites and SMS were loaded with Anna movement. What Paid Media did was only option left. Paid media can't announce directly that they are working for Congress. They have to show something not pro-Cong too in order to remain in business.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Yet, one thing intrigues me is what is he trying to imply when he says the DGMO was shifted as DGAR?

Is he saying that he is right about his story?
Well there was this report from HT earlier that seemed to indicate that something of that sort was in the works apparently as this story dated 16/03/12 from HT corroborates
Lt Gen Ashok Choudhary was being pushed by the MOD for DGAR while Lt gen Hasnain was to take over as DGMO.

Hasnain likely to become India's first Muslim
DGMO
Srinagar-based Chinar Corps commander Lt General Syed Ata Hasnain is in line to become India's first Muslim
director general of military operations (DGMO), with incumbent Lt Gen Ashok Choudhary being pushed by the
Defence Ministry for appointment to the post of Assam Rifles director general.
Bhopal-based XXI Strike Corps commander Lt General Om Prakash is likely to take the place of General
Hasnain.
Sources said that after completing 16 months ofsensitive duty as the Army's in-charge of Kashmir Valley
counter-insurgency operations, the Defence Ministry and Army headquarters are working towards appointing
Gen Hasnain as the DGMO. Widely known as the "people's general" in the Valley, Hasnain is the only Muslim
holding the post of Lt General in the Army.
Till now, his tenure in the Valley has been largely successful— with a record boost in tourism last year, crossborder infiltration figures at a low, and a largely peacefulsummer.
It is learnt that defence minister AK Antony and the Army headquarters are keen on bringing Hasnain to Delhi,
and are trying to make the Home Ministry accept the nomination of present DGMO, GeneralChoudhary, as the
DG of Assam Rifles. The post of DG of the paramilitary force has been lying vacant ever since Lt Gen
Rameshwar Roy was recalled to the Army last year, after certain irregularities were noticed during his previous
tenure as the 16 Corps commander in 2009.
However, the hitch is that GeneralChoudhary, who was appointed as DGMO last January, does not have two
years left for his superannuation. The Home Ministry is inclined to post an Army officer, who has at least two
years for retirement, on deputation to Assam Rifles.
Hasnain likely to become India's first Muslim DGMO - Hindustan Times
© Copyright © 2011 HT Media Limited. AllRights Reserved
Hasnain likely to become India's first Muslim DGMO - Hindustan Times

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
It is fine for the media to speculate over the move.

Some times, it is a personal requirement that causes such moves.

I also dislike the media emphasising on the word "Muslim', as if they are foreigners or some endangered wild life specie.

What is wrong with a Muslim to be a DGMO or a Lt Gen?

There have been many Lt Gens who are Muslims and the Chief of the Air Force has also been a Muslim. So?

Did the media mention "Christian becomes a Chief of the Air Force' when NAK Brown became the Chief or when Rodrigues become the Chief of the Army?

I don't understand this fetish and masochism that grips India on Muslims - as if there holding high posts is something earthshaking and the disgusting manner the way this country holds Muslim as some sort of an endangered specie like some wild life!

Let us get matured!

Hasnain has been my student and he is as good as Indian as I am.

His being a Muslim has in no way made him anyway less than me or anyone in being an Indian.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

True.

But the media is also responsive to the groundswell and not totally in the ethereal realm!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Messiah,

Did you see that clot AVM Ahluwalia (who has been anti Chief and pro Govt) on Times Now?

Initially, he gave the impression to all that indeed the move of the Paras and the mech bn was something real dangerous.

Then when all ignored him and on their own rubbished the coup story, this idiot of the IAF changed his tune!

They all realise that their favourite hobby horses cannot face the scrutiny of facts!

But Ahluwalia is the original Eve (that is a polite way of saying something cannot cannot be said in polite company!)!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles