The Syrian Crisis

Scalieback

Professional
PRC, Russia, N Korea, Cuba are much more honest, that they are open about being authoritarian. What about UK? Do majority of Brits support Cameron pumping 30 million quid and giving it to the banks? Do majority of Brits support the Al-Qaida in Syria? Democracy didn't prevent the UK from trying to bribe the Indians to buy their Eurofighter Typhoon, did it? There is corruption everywhere, and it is not unique to those countries you mentioned.
I never said it wasn't everywhere. It's a wake up call that will be ignored. Absteining is the cowards way out. Vote for your beliefs, whatever they are.

Politicians rarely achieve what the public want them to do. For a start, imo you shouldn't be a politician unless you've served. Know what it is like to send yound men away to war.

Having a larger population does not matter in realpolitik. Your military, missiles, and nukes do. That is why, I have to laud the Indian attitude, that while millions go hungry, India invests heavily in nukes, nuke subs, and missiles. To do anything otherwise would be utterly stupid.
Nothing to do with numbers, or nukes; it's a hereditary thing from the war. Ii'm sure we'll give up our position soon (when France does ;) ) and you can all enjoy the problems it causes and we'll end up the same as the league of nations. Back to another world war.

Any guesses why Iran seeks nukes? Syria wouldn't be what it is if they too had nukes.
Iran wants to be the leader of the arab world. They had that position then kicked out the Shah, so people whinging about the Saudi's have only the Iranians to blame. Israel isn't a threat otherwise it would have turned Tehran into glass years ago.

As for Syria having nukes, well them having chemical weapons hasn't stopped the arab spring so why should nukes. Silly argument.

P.S.: China does not twice as many people as India. ;)
List of countries by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You've got 17% of the world population. Should you have 17% of the votes? Should Monaco be dismissed as unworthy? Iceland? Being a 'tiny island nation :)

pmaitra

I never said it wasn't everywhere. It's a wake up call that will be ignored. Absteining is the cowards way out. Vote for your beliefs, whatever they are.
I agree completely.

Politicians rarely achieve what the public want them to do. For a start, imo you shouldn't be a politician unless you've served. Know what it is like to send yound men away to war.
I beg to differ. Anyone should be eligible to serve. We have seen enough of military general ruling countries in Pakistan. Not a very admirable sight.

Nothing to do with numbers, or nukes; it's a hereditary thing from the war. Ii'm sure we'll give up our position soon (when France does ;) ) and you can all enjoy the problems it causes and we'll end up the same as the league of nations. Back to another world war.
I don't mind Britain helping the Al-Qaida if most Brits want it that way. If it is the way it is, Britain should quit spreading 'democracy' that it itself cannot establish in its foreign policy.

Iran wants to be the leader of the arab world. They had that position then kicked out the Shah, so people whinging about the Saudi's have only the Iranians to blame. Israel isn't a threat otherwise it would have turned Tehran into glass years ago.
AFAIK, Iranians hate the Arabs, and I believe they want to be the leader of the Middle East, and want to identify themselves as essentially non-Arabs.

As for Syria having nukes, well them having chemical weapons hasn't stopped the arab spring so why should nukes. Silly argument.

List of countries by population - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Syria had chemical weapons, and even after 18 months of utter provocation and meddling by foreign powers and mercenaries has not used them. That alone tells you why I prefer an Assad ruled Syria over Al-Qaida ruled Syria.
You've got 17% of the world population. Should you have 17% of the votes? Should Monaco be dismissed as unworthy? Iceland? Being a 'tiny island nation :)
No, give them that 0.001%. Well, that was never my argument. International realpolitik is not a democracy. It is about 'might is right.'

Scalieback

Professional
I beg to differ. Anyone should be eligible to serve. We have seen enough of military general ruling countries in Pakistan. Not a very admirable sight.
We've had military dictatorships in the past, albeit hundreds of years ago. I'm talking about politicians who've served. not military junta's.

I don't mind Britain helping the Al-Qaida is most Brit wants it that way. If it is the way it is, Britain should quit spreading 'democracy' that it itself cannot establish in its foreign policy.
Britain just wants an end to the fighting and mass refugees crossing over to neighbouring countries. 'We' were all br=erated for not doing anything in Rwanda and being too slow in the Balkans, now we're doing it wrong again. I want neither assad who suppoorted terror groups or AQ.

AFAIK, Iranians hate the Arabs, and I believe they want to be the leader of the Middle East, and want to identify themselves as essentially non-Arabs.
The old Persian/Sassanid superiority. Bad as the Brits ;) They were the lead antion in the middle east so we turned to the next 'pro-western' govt being the Saudi's. Now if the shah hadn't been deposed ....

Syria had chemical weapons, and even after 18 months of utter provocation and meddling by foreign powers and mercenaries has not used them. That alone tells you why I prefer an Assad ruled Syria over Al-Qaida ruled Syria.
Once again, I want neither and I reckon it's too soon to call the use of WMD by Assad for now.....

No, give them that 0.001%. Well, that was never my argument. International realpolitik is not a democracy. It is about 'might is right.'
It is, and we'll slowly sit back in our armchair and watch what happens in the future. The sun has set and we can give up our seat (once the French agree to)

pmaitra

^^

Just a clarification: I meant to say that those who have served, as well as those who have not, should be eligible to become politicians.

For Syria, well, let us wait and see how this unfolds.

Scalieback

Professional
Just a clarification: I meant to say that those who have served, as well as those who have not, should be eligible to become politicians.
I realise that, but I for one believe you should not send young men off to die, unless you have been one of those young men.

For Syria, well, let us wait and see how this unfolds.
Unfortunately, only time will tell. In the meantime more people die, Assad clings on, AQ gain dominance etc etc. That's why the security council should take heed of the 133 imo

pmaitra

I realise that, but I for one believe you should not send young men off to die, unless you have been one of those young men.
Good point, but war is just a part of a politicians job. Communications, Railways, Education, Economics, etc..

I could argue, you should not become a politician if you have not studied economics in graduate school, or you should not become a politician if you have not served as a fitter in a railway workshop.

You need all kinds of people in the parliament.

Unfortunately, only time will tell. In the meantime more people die, Assad clings on, AQ gain dominance etc etc. That's why the security council should take heed of the 133 imo
Let more people die. Do you really believe anyone cares?

The West would rather have a Syria with 50,000 dead sans Assad, than a Syria with 20,000 dead and Assad still in power. Why do you think the rebels are getting help and have consistently refused to talk?

pmaitra

Syria crisis: Turkey training rebels, says FSA fighter

Thwaiba Kanafani is one of a growing number of Syrians without any previous military experience who have joined the rebels.

There is a special training programme based in Turkey at secret camps run by the Turkish military, she says.

"The Turkish people are really helping us. Lots of people are getting training in those camps."

"The training is really professional. You can only sleep four hours a day.

"You have to climb mountains, you get weapons training. It's hard work."

Qatar and Saudi Arabia are also reported to be providing assistance for what has been described as a secret nerve centre for military aid and communications for the Syrian rebels.

This is reported to have been set up in Adana.
BBC News - Syria crisis: Turkey training rebels, says FSA fighter

Scalieback

Professional
Good point, but war is just a part of a politicians job. Communications, Railways, Education, Economics, etc..

I could argue, you should not become a politician if you have not studied economics in graduate school, or you should not become a politician if you have not served as a fitter in a railway workshop.

You need all kinds of people in the parliament.
Not quite the same as sending young men off to (possibly) die on your direct orders. You'd think twice about it at least if you'd served.

I also agree that a broad range of experience is required and what used to happen ie captains of industry and trade union members eventually became politicians. Now they're career politico's. How can a twenty three year old see someone in their surgery and explain how to cope to a fifty year old man who's just lost his job?

Let more people die. Do you really believe anyone cares?
Yep, we're led by the liberal elite remember.

The West would rather have a Syria with 50,000 dead sans Assad, than a Syria with 20,000 dead and Assad still in power. Why do you think the rebels are getting help and have consistently refused to talk?
You should stop reading and watching RT. It churns out rubbish so often.

The rebels are getting none military help because we have the naiive belief that they will be grateful when Assad is gone. That and to appease our media so we can then blame China and Russia

pmaitra

Not quite the same as sending young men off to (possibly) die on your direct orders. You'd think twice about it at least if you'd served.

I also agree that a broad range of experience is required and what used to happen ie captains of industry and trade union members eventually became politicians. Now they're career politico's. How can a twenty three year old see someone in their surgery and explain how to cope to a fifty year old man who's just lost his job?

Yep, we're led by the liberal elite remember.

You should stop reading and watching RT. It churns out rubbish so often.

The rebels are getting none military help because we have the naiive belief that they will be grateful when Assad is gone. That and to appease our media so we can then blame China and Russia
RT is more credible that British Bull- Corporation, aka BBC.

No offense, it used to be much better.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
BBC have picked up what AJ have been saying for ages. Still, makes a break from the olympics.:cool:

In other news, the pope is a catholic, the colonel (sanders) likes chicken and bears do sh1t in the wood ;)
I was about to say, it was the most obvious piece of information known for ages.

pmaitra

BBC have picked up what AJ have been saying for ages. Still, makes a break from the olympics.:cool:

In other news, the pope is a catholic, the colonel (sanders) likes chicken and bears do sh1t in the wood ;)
Well, BBC picked up an Al-Qaida flag sporting pickup truck that came to rescue a rebel shot by a Syrian Army sniper. It is there in the video as well. Ian Pannell (IIRC), the BBC reporter, chose to ignore that.

Now you know why I read RT a lot more.

pmaitra

BBC is pants, official. They're the meusli muching sandal wearing liberal elite.

If only the same could be said for Pravda/RT ;)
RT reported Al-Qaida long time before BBC showed this footage and chose not to mention Al-Qaida.

Syria conflict: Army steps up attack on rebels in Aleppo

Syrian government forces have been continuing their assault with artillery, ground forces and helicopter gunships on rebel-held areas of the second city, Aleppo.

Officials said one area, Salah al-Din, had been recaptured, but rebels said the battle there was still going on.
Source: BBC News - Syria conflict: Army steps up attack on rebels in Aleppo

See video (3:20) at the above link. A rebel commander is shot, and a truck sporting two flags, one that of Al-Qaida, comes to rescue the shot commander.

Scalieback

Professional
Well, BBC picked up an Al-Qaida flag sporting pickup truck that came to rescue a rebel shot by a Syrian Army sniper. It is there in the video as well. Ian Pannell (IIRC), the BBC reporter, chose to ignore that.

Now you know why I read RT a lot more.
For some strange reason they seem to think of them as poor oppressed freedom fighters. Why, I don't know. The truth is so weird as to be unfathomable as we discussed much earlier on this thread. Neither Assad or AQ is good for the west. The solution ............

pmaitra

I was about to say, it was the most obvious piece of information known for ages.
There is another thing that is very obvious. You have been trawling over YouTube for the last couple of weeks and picking out videos from Jihadi posters. :D

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
For some strange reason they seem to think of them as poor oppressed freedom fighters. Why, I don't know. The truth is so weird as to be unfathomable as we discussed much earlier on this thread. Neither Assad or AQ is good for the west. The solution ............
Choose one!

Scalieback

Professional
RT reported Al-Qaida long time before BBC showed this footage and chose not to mention Al-Qaida.
And? Why is that news? We've seen AQ out there, there's plenty of reports on it.

Anyway, what is it with these fighters on both sides not taking aimed shots and always firing AK's from the hip?

Is there something wrong with the training on both sides? Trouble is, it seems to have been the same for eons. What was known as a 'Lebanese unload' (pointing your rifle over a wall and emptying a mag unaimed) is now known as a Syrian unload.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles