The Syrian Crisis

Scalieback

Professional
The British flag is at 1:05
The video shows the defected Colonel Abdul Jabbar with some Arab looking fighters among them and from what it seems a British navy seal trooper armed with ammo on his front.
What on earth is a 'British navy seal trooper'? Some bloke draped in what looks like rimmed belt fed ammo has a union flag on his t-shirt and he's a Brit? There's straw clutching and there's tin foil hat wearing :rolleyes:

[British made ammo.
Is it? Which Brit ammo factory makes belt fed rimmed ammo then? Did you see the stamps on the base? No? :rolleyes:

Now in the video it doesn't look as if the city is under siege yet, interesting to note the same UK Navy team member is on 0:21 as well.
0:45 he looks like a Qatari special forces member
Really? Frankly if he was SFand undercover the last thing he'd be wearing was a union flag.

If I wear a 'I (heart) NY' t-shirt, am I American?

Some people eh? :rolleyes:

Scalieback

Professional
Actually, British Jihadis have been reported to be in Syria. News posted earlier in this thread.
There's a difference between Brit SF and Brit 'jihadists', albeit SajeevJino seems convinced they're Brit Navy SEAL Troopers (whatever they are)

If I saw some bloke on a video with a German flag would that mean the boxheads were looking for some lebensraum?

Scalieback

Professional
UN adopts tough resolution on Syria — RT
"It [the resolution] is extremely one-sided and was written as if there was no armed opposition at all," Russia's UN ambassador Vitaly Churkin said. He also stressed that a number of clauses, such as the one that criticizes the Security Council, were something Russia could not agree to.
No surprise there then :rolleyes:

133 votes versus 12 which includes the 'usual suspects' of China, Russia, N Korea and Cuba, all desperately apprehensive about popular uprisings :laugh:
The Press Association: UN vote denounces Syrian crackdown

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Syrian TV host kidnapped, executed by Islamists

Syrian state TV host Mohammed al-Saeed has been executed, the UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported. A militant Islamist group has claimed responsibility for the killing.

-Al-Saeed was kidnapped on July 19 of this year. The Al-Nusra Front, a little-known Islamist militant group, posted a statement August 4 on an Al-Qaeda-affiliated internet forum.

"The heroes of western Ghouta (in Damascus province) imprisoned the shabih (pro-regime militia) presenter on July 19"¦He was then killed after he had been interrogated," AFP reported.

The post showed a photograph of frightened al-Saeed sitting against the wall. "May this be a lesson to all those who support the regime," the note read.
More @ Source: RT

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
IMO India yesterday did itself and the public a great disservice by abstaining from voting against Syria in the UNGA yesterday.

We have to learn to take an independent stand for ourselves. Here we have a dictator who is hell bent on killing his own people and we are afraid to even condemn him. What sort of a balancing game we are doing in the Mid East is beyond my comprehension.

The notable country to abstain along with India is------ NO Guess PAKISTAN.
- We dont want outside forces toppling assad regime so we didn't vote against him.
- We also know our vote doesn't count (no veto power) so why stick our neck out ?
- We also want some leverage with the west so why vote against them when we can abstain ?

Add all three and you will get answer why we did what we did.

pmaitra

Free Syrian Army kidnapped Iranian pilgrims – Iranian state news agency

Forty-eight Iranians that disappeared in Syria on Saturday were kidnapped by the Free Syrian Army, Iran's Fars news agency reports.

State-owned Iranian TV station al-Alam said the pilgrims were traveling from Damascus to the Sayeda Zeinab mosque, a holy shrine for Shia Muslims, located in a southern suburb.

However, in a conflicting report, the state news agency said the pilgrims were heading to the airport when they were taken. The report said the location they were being held was known to officials, but gave no other details.

"Terrorists affiliated to the so-called Free Army are in charge of the abduction of the Iranian pilgrims," a Syrian government official told Fars.
Source: Free Syrian Army kidnapped Iranian pilgrims – Iranian state news agency — RT

pmaitra

Syrian TV host kidnapped, executed by Islamists

Syrian state TV host Mohammed al-Saeed has been executed, the UK-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights reported. A militant Islamist group has claimed responsibility for the killing.

Al-Saeed was kidnapped on July 19 of this year. The Al-Nusra Front, a little-known Islamist militant group, posted a statement August 4 on an Al-Qaeda-affiliated internet forum.

"The heroes of western Ghouta (in Damascus province) imprisoned the shabih (pro-regime militia) presenter on July 19"¦He was then killed after he had been interrogated," AFP reported.

The post showed a photograph of frightened al-Saeed sitting against the wall. "May this be a lesson to all those who support the regime," the note read.
Source: Syrian TV host kidnapped, executed by Islamists — RT

IBSA

Country flag
IMO India yesterday did itself and the public a great disservice by abstaining from voting against Syria in the UNGA yesterday.

We have to learn to take an independent stand for ourselves. Here we have a dictator who is hell bent on killing his own people and we are afraid to even condemn him. What sort of a balancing game we are doing in the Mid East is beyond my comprehension.

Historically, India supported Syria in UN resolution because the two countries have similar claims on Kashmir and Golan Heights respectively.

Syria claims the Golan Heights as of her against the Israeli annexation to hold the Jordan river source. India wants back all Kashmir against the Paki occupation to hold the Indus river source. So, diplomatically they are allies. India vote for Syria in UN, and Syria returns voting for India also.

If Assad resigns and an Islamist like-Saudi minded gov arises, I fear this gov begins to vote for Paki in UN due ideological reasons rather than geopolitical reasons for India. If this happens, the India-Syria relations can be damaged.

pmaitra

Would you rather have Assad led Syria or Al-Qaida led Syria?

India should have voted against the resolution. I agree though that India should have an independent foreign policy.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
Russia and China should have sponsored this sort of UN resolution when the IRA was wrecking havoc in the UK a few decades ago and pushed for regime change (i.e Russian client government).

While the Syrian government is certainly to blame for taking a heavy handed approach to suppress the opposition, the FSA and it's western backers like the US and UK are equally, if not more to blame for the massive loss of lives. These governments portray themselves to be the guardians of morality and righteousness, yet to this day not a single one of them has offered to help the Syrian government put down the armed rebellion.

Their one and only interest is regime change, in reality, they care less for the loss of lives than the despotic Syrian regime itself. As long as their interests are served by establishing client states across the ME, the means do not matter.

There's a Hollywood movie that all should see about how the US government cynically extends its imperial interests in the ME. Ironically, the title of the movie is "Syriana"..... lead actor is George Clooney.

Scalieback

Professional
Russia and China should have sponsored this sort of UN resolution when the IRA was wrecking havoc in the UK a few decades ago and pushed for regime change (i.e Russian client government).
:rotflmao: :rotflmao: Because Britain in the 70's and 80's was so like Syria today :rolleyes: and the Sovs were so successful at running thier puppet states weren't they? :taunt:

While the Syrian government is certainly to blame for taking a heavy handed approach to suppress the opposition, the FSA and it's western backers like the US and UK are equally, if not more to blame for the massive loss of lives. These governments portray themselves to be the guardians of morality and righteousness, yet to this day not a single one of them has offered to help the Syrian government put down the armed rebellion.
Why should we, Syria supported terrorists

Their one and only interest is regime change, in reality, they care less for the loss of lives than the despotic Syrian regime itself. As long as their interests are served by establishing client states across the ME, the means do not matter.
Just want an end to the killing of unarmed civilians and thousands of refugees fleeing the borders. Plus it could spill into other countries and Israel is unlikely to be amused if that happens.

There's a Hollywood movie that all should see about how the US government cynically extends its imperial interests in the ME. Ironically, the title of the movie is "Syriana"..... lead actor is George Clooney.
Yeah, movies are so close to the truth :rolleyes:

Scalieback

Professional
Would you rather have Assad led Syria or Al-Qaida led Syria?
Neither thanks, as I've said before. Something like Bosnia with safe havens?

India should have voted against the resolution. I agree though that India should have an independent foreign policy.
I'd agree on the independent foreign policy but absteining when 133 voted against 12? Says it all really

pmaitra

Neither thanks, as I've said before. Something like Bosnia with safe havens?

I'd agree on the independent foreign policy but absteining when 133 voted against 12? Says it all really
India's vote alone has the weight of 1/6th the world's population. That 133 votes in favour includes diminutive countries like Qatar, one of the sponsors of the resolution. In any event, why were you comparing 133 with 12 again? You do realize that UNGA is meaningless and all that matters is the Big 5 in the UNSC, don't you?

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
I wonder how those why are clapping their hands in glee at this majority vote and use it to justify their actions also turn around and oppose the majority in the UNGA when it comes to issues like Palestinian statehood, Israeli aggression or the Iraq invasion?

Hypocrisy is apparently the hallmark of subservience (in the case of the UK), and dominance (in case of the US). ;)

pmaitra

Iranian pilgrims abducted near Shia shrine in Syria

Some 48 Iranian pilgrims have been kidnapped from a bus in the vicinity of a shrine near the Syrian capital Damascus, reports say.

Iranian diplomats blamed the abduction, from close to the Shia shrine of Sayyida Zainab, on "armed groups".

Syrian state television later gave the same account of the incident.
BBC News - Iranian pilgrims abducted near Shia shrine in Syria

Sayyidah Zaynab Mosque (Arabic: مسجد السيدة زينب"Ž) is a shrine located in Sayyidah Zaynab, Rif Dimashq Governorate, Syria, that contains the grave of Zaynab, daughter of 'AlÄ« and Fātimah and granddaughter of Muhammad.
Sayyidah Zaynab Mosque - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Any guesses who could have been the kidnappers?

Scalieback

Professional
India's vote alone has the weight of 1/6th the world's population. That 133 votes in favour includes diminutive countries like Qatar, one of the sponsors of the resolution. In any event, why were you comparing 133 with 12 again? You do realize that UNGA is meaningless and all that matters is the Big 5 in the UNSC, don't you?
I know that the vote counts as nothing and that the UNSC have the final say. However, as I posted earlier, it should be a wake up call. Now of the 12, lets see, China, Russia, N Korea, Cuba.... All scared stiff of a popular uprising, no votes or corrupt voting etc

So having a larger population should make you have more votes? India should have more voting rights than Ireland? Why? Is biggest always best? Should China have twice as many votes as India?

There you go, talking about 'diminutive countries' so size obviously matters to you ;)

Last edited:

Scalieback

Professional
I wonder how those why are clapping their hands in glee at this majority vote and use it to justify their actions also turn around and oppose the majority in the UNGA when it comes to issues like Palestinian statehood, Israeli aggression or the Iraq invasion?
I'm not clapping hands with glee at all. I wish it was over before our politicians get involved in another debacle. To answer trhe questions in order. Dunno, dunno, errr dunno. You tell me.

Hypocrisy is apparently the hallmark of subservience (in the case of the UK), and dominance (in case of the US). ;)
Hypocrisy is something that Joseph Goebbels knew all about. Tell a lie often enough and it becomes the truth :cool:

pmaitra

I know that the vote counts as nothing and that the UNSC have the final say. However, as I posted earlier, it should be a wake up call. Now of the 12, lets see, china, russia, N Korea, Cuba.... All scared stiff of a popular uprising, no vortes or corrupt voting etc

So having a larger population should make you have more votes? India should have more voting rights than Ireland? Why? Is biggest always best? Should China have twice as many votes as India?

There you go, talking about 'diminutive countries' so size obviously matters to you ;)
PRC, Russia, N Korea, Cuba are much more honest, that they are open about being authoritarian. What about UK? Do majority of Brits support Cameron pumping 30 billion quid and giving it to the banks? Do majority of Brits support the Al-Qaida in Syria? Democracy didn't prevent the UK from trying to bribe the Indians to buy their Eurofighter Typhoon, did it? There is corruption everywhere, and it is not unique to those countries you mentioned.

Having a larger population does not matter in realpolitik. Your military, missiles, and nukes do. That is why, I have to laud the Indian attitude, that while millions go hungry, India invests heavily in nukes, nuke subs, and missiles. To do anything otherwise would be utterly stupid.

Any guesses why Iran seeks nukes? Syria wouldn't be what it is if they too had nukes.

P.S.: China does not twice as many people as India. ;)

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles