The real size of Pakistan’s gross domestic product

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo

By Shahid Javed Burki
Published: March 6, 2017

The writer is a former caretaker finance minister and served as Vice-President at the World Bank

Pakistan is much richer than what it and the world believes it to be. Picking up on the theme with which I launched this series of articles last week I will today suggest how a short-cut could be taken towards developing a more robust system of national income accounting. Finance Minister Ishaq Dar and I met in Islamabad a few days ago to discuss the important subject of improving Pakistan’s data-gathering infrastructure. I suggested in this space last week that our policy makers are taking decisions in “statistical darkness.” Considerable amount of work needs to be done to admit light into the processes used to collect and analyse data on different aspects of the economy.

Pakistan could seek help to improve its system. It could, for instance request the World Bank that has considerable amount of expertise in this area to provide assistance. Over the years it has aided many countries that were faced with the same problem that Pakistan must deal with today. For instance, in the early 1990s, when I was Director of World Bank’s China Operations, I convinced Beijing to overhaul its system of national income accounting and come up with new estimates of the country’s gross domestic product and income per head of the population. The authorities agreed and we dispatched a team of experts to help Beijing improve the statistical system and work out the new numbers. This was done and the Bank’s work indicated that China had been underestimating its gross income by as much as 25 per cent. I believe that Pakistan is under-counting its GDP by the same order of magnitude.

Following our discussion, Minister Dar and I met with a team of experts from the Islamabad office of the World Bank. The officials endorsed our impression: Pakistan was perhaps under-estimating the size of its gross domestic product. Some of the methods the country was using and the surveys that collected the needed data were seriously outdated. But the Bank people believed that it would take about a year before the entire system could be over-hauled. Should we have to wait that long; is there a way of coming up with an order of magnitude about the size of the Pakistani economy? My view is that this could be done by using consumption data to roughly estimate the economy’s size. Good quality data are available on some of what the economy uses to produce the final product.

We know how much cement and steel are used, how much petrol and diesel are burnt every year, the quantities of food grains people consume. Converting these data into consumption per head of the population for these critical inputs would provide us with a number of coefficients that could be compared with those of the countries that are similarly situated as Pakistan. Using the data from India and Bangladesh, we could estimate the size of the Pakistani economy. Growth in consumption over time will also provide us with estimates of the rate of growth in GDP. A 25 per cent upward adjustment in the estimate of GDP will bring 2017 Pakistani income from $280 billion to $350 billion, improving its world ranking from 43rd to 31st. Included in the countries it will cross will be South Africa, Singapore, Malaysia and Egypt.

There is one other way of reaching a higher number for the country’s gross domestic product. I believe — and the government’s experts agree — Pakistan is seriously under-counting the size of the urban population. The old census data that misqualified a number of urban areas as rural, places the proportion of those living in towns and cities at only 35 per cent. This means that 70 million of the current population of 200 million is urban. However, if the proportion is much higher — say 55 per cent — we are miscounting some 40 million people as rural rather than urban. The productivity of the urban population is much higher compared to those that live in the countryside. I estimate that urban per capita income as twice as high as rural: $2,000 per head for urban and $1,000 for rural. If the number of urban people is 40 million more people than this alone would mean that the country’s gross domestic product is at least $40 billion larger than the official estimate — $320 billion rather than the estimated $280 billion for early 2017.

Another adjustment comes into the picture via the structure of the economy. I believe that Pakistan is not correctly estimating the size of its modern services — in particular information, communications, entertainment, travel and advanced commerce. All these sectors contribute much more to the economy than suggested by official numbers. Once these corrections are made the policymakers in both Islamabad and the provincial capitals will have a better idea where to focus their attention.

Upward adjustments will result in one other somewhat subtle change in perception. Economists correctly believe that confidence in the future is a good determinant of the amount of investment that is made in the economy. Just by presenting a picture of the economy that is closer to reality would result in improving the confidence of both domestic and foreign investors. Rather than viewing it as a fragile and failing state, the community of investors will begin to see it as a rapidly urbanising and modernising economy.

Published in The Express Tribune, March 6th, 2017.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
By Shahid Javed Burki
Published: March 6, 2017

The writer is a former caretaker finance minister and served as Vice-President at the World Bank

Pakistan is much richer than what it and the world believes it to be. Picking up on the theme with which I launched this series of articles last week I will today suggest how a short-cut could be taken towards developing a more robust system of national income accounting. Finance Minister Ishaq Dar and I met in Islamabad a few days ago to discuss the important subject of improving Pakistan’s data-gathering infrastructure. I suggested in this space last week that our policy makers are taking decisions in “statistical darkness.” Considerable amount of work needs to be done to admit light into the processes used to collect and analyse data on different aspects of the economy.

Pakistan could seek help to improve its system. It could, for instance request the World Bank that has considerable amount of expertise in this area to provide assistance. Over the years it has aided many countries that were faced with the same problem that Pakistan must deal with today. For instance, in the early 1990s, when I was Director of World Bank’s China Operations, I convinced Beijing to overhaul its system of national income accounting and come up with new estimates of the country’s gross domestic product and income per head of the population. The authorities agreed and we dispatched a team of experts to help Beijing improve the statistical system and work out the new numbers. This was done and the Bank’s work indicated that China had been underestimating its gross income by as much as 25 per cent. I believe that Pakistan is under-counting its GDP by the same order of magnitude.

Following our discussion, Minister Dar and I met with a team of experts from the Islamabad office of the World Bank. The officials endorsed our impression: Pakistan was perhaps under-estimating the size of its gross domestic product. Some of the methods the country was using and the surveys that collected the needed data were seriously outdated. But the Bank people believed that it would take about a year before the entire system could be over-hauled. Should we have to wait that long; is there a way of coming up with an order of magnitude about the size of the Pakistani economy? My view is that this could be done by using consumption data to roughly estimate the economy’s size. Good quality data are available on some of what the economy uses to produce the final product.

We know how much cement and steel are used, how much petrol and diesel are burnt every year, the quantities of food grains people consume. Converting these data into consumption per head of the population for these critical inputs would provide us with a number of coefficients that could be compared with those of the countries that are similarly situated as Pakistan. Using the data from India and Bangladesh, we could estimate the size of the Pakistani economy. Growth in consumption over time will also provide us with estimates of the rate of growth in GDP. A 25 per cent upward adjustment in the estimate of GDP will bring 2017 Pakistani income from $280 billion to $350 billion, improving its world ranking from 43rd to 31st. Included in the countries it will cross will be South Africa, Singapore, Malaysia and Egypt.

There is one other way of reaching a higher number for the country’s gross domestic product. I believe — and the government’s experts agree — Pakistan is seriously under-counting the size of the urban population. The old census data that misqualified a number of urban areas as rural, places the proportion of those living in towns and cities at only 35 per cent. This means that 70 million of the current population of 200 million is urban. However, if the proportion is much higher — say 55 per cent — we are miscounting some 40 million people as rural rather than urban. The productivity of the urban population is much higher compared to those that live in the countryside. I estimate that urban per capita income as twice as high as rural: $2,000 per head for urban and $1,000 for rural. If the number of urban people is 40 million more people than this alone would mean that the country’s gross domestic product is at least $40 billion larger than the official estimate — $320 billion rather than the estimated $280 billion for early 2017.

Another adjustment comes into the picture via the structure of the economy. I believe that Pakistan is not correctly estimating the size of its modern services — in particular information, communications, entertainment, travel and advanced commerce. All these sectors contribute much more to the economy than suggested by official numbers. Once these corrections are made the policymakers in both Islamabad and the provincial capitals will have a better idea where to focus their attention.

Upward adjustments will result in one other somewhat subtle change in perception. Economists correctly believe that confidence in the future is a good determinant of the amount of investment that is made in the economy. Just by presenting a picture of the economy that is closer to reality would result in improving the confidence of both domestic and foreign investors. Rather than viewing it as a fragile and failing state, the community of investors will begin to see it as a rapidly urbanising and modernising economy.

Published in The Express Tribune, March 6th, 2017.
It is ok if the GDP is under reported it should be corrected. The most important thing is what is the rise in GDP? Because that is only going to bring the leaving standard of people up.

sthf

Country flag
Nothing but opinion being stated as facts. Dollar Dar is "ullu banoing" & desperate people like @Neo are lapping it up.

The old census data that misqualified a number of urban areas as rural, places the proportion of those living in towns and cities at only 35 per cent......
Nope. There is no evidence to suggest that. There hasn't been a census in 19 years & no national survey.

. I estimate that urban per capita income as twice as high as rural: $2,000 per head for urban and $1,000 for rural.
Pure speculation not an educated guess.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Nothing but opinion being stated as facts. Dollar Dar is "ullu banoing" & desperate people like @Neo are lapping it up.

Nope. There is no evidence to suggest that. There hasn't been a census in 19 years & no national survey.

Pure speculation not an educated guess.
There is nothing wrong in pakistan revisiting their GDP numbers. i say they should get to it immediately.

if not for anything else, atleast then pakis will not be able to call our GDP numbers fake...

sthf

Country flag
Agreed. I'd be jubilant if Pakis measure their GDP by consumption & not by their corrupt to the core establishment.

Funny thing is Neo hides in a hole when his govt. is caught with its pants down & willy hanging.

Last edited:

Nicky G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Why bother? After all, CPEC will make Pak a trillion dollar economy. :hail:

Neo

There is nothing wrong in pakistan revisiting their GDP numbers. i say they should get to it immediately.

if not for anything else, atleast then pakis will not be able to call our GDP numbers fake...
Countries, specially the developing economies are encouraged by the IMF and the WB to upgrade their stats by changing the base every 5 years and they assist in providing expertise. Its never about ranking or rivallery amongst neighbors but in our region the govts and the media use the stats for chest thumping and political gains or even call them fake whenever it suits them.

Pakistan is known for poor institutions, most of our stats are estimates hence its impossible to come to a credible size of the GDP. This is the very reason Dar and Burki visited the WB office in Islamabad asking for assistance.
Whatever the outcome, one can hope that the edits are performed by external teams assisted by the WB.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Countries, specially the developing economies are encouraged by the IMF and the WB to upgrade their stats by changing the base every 5 years and they assist in providing expertise. Its never about ranking or rivallery amongst neighbors but in our region the govts and the media use the stats for chest thumping and political gains or even call them fake whenever it suits them.

Pakistan is known for poor institutions, most of our stats are estimates hence its impossible to come to a credible size of the GDP. This is the very reason Dar and Burki visited the WB office in Islamabad asking for assistance.
Whatever the outcome, one can hope that the edits are performed by external teams assisted by the WB.
i say... Instead of depending on World bank/IMF or some other banking institutions hire some desi economist from america or britain and make him/her incharge of transition. May be even raghuram rajan is available...

This dar guy is behaving like a owner of a lala(family owned) company, never seem to taking transformational steps only incremental adjustments.

Neo

i say... Instead of depending on World bank/IMF or some other banking institutions hire some desi economist from america or britain and make him/her incharge of transition. May be even raghuram rajan is available...
There's plenty of qualified talent in our country with good credentials such as Burki who served as VP of WB. I still prefer WB or IMF to do the assessments and edits because these are neutral sources and not politically motivated.

This dar guy is behaving like a owner of a lala(family owned) company, never seem to taking transformational steps only incremental adjustments.
Dar is an idiot and one of the most corrupt names in Pakistan. He is related to Nawaz, fakes stats for his party whenever asked. He is also an undeclared billionaire, stole hundreds of millions during this tenure only.

According to one report Pakistan is losing $10 billion per year in money laundering. Zardari, Sharifs, Dar and few others all made their fortunes after the democracy was restored in 2008.

vinuzap

most of the pakistanis have the reputation of being thief , convict and lier all over the world even in islamic countries

GDP numbers are fudged to get more loans for survival

this article is written by ex WB Pakistani guy to look for more loans again

Last edited:

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
There's plenty of qualified talent in our country with good credentials such as Burki who served as VP of WB. I still prefer WB or IMF to do the assessments and edits because these are neutral sources and not politically motivated.

Dar is an idiot and one of the most corrupt names in Pakistan. He is related to Nawaz, fakes stats for his party whenever asked. He is also an undeclared billionaire, stole hundreds of millions during this tenure only.

According to one report Pakistan is losing $10 billion per year in money laundering. Zardari, Sharifs, Dar and few others all made their fortunes after the democracy was restored in 2008.
WB and IMF are as politically motivated as they come, in their case they are economically motivated.
WB had a huge role in economic liberalisation policies in india in 90's, result was that for the next decade WB&IMF loans were the main source of investments. They see to it that that country is dependant on them.

on the other point..
I said desi guys because there is a certain amount of deniability with the outsider if things go south. we know how susceptible your countrymen are to rumours and i believe economics is not their strong point. such fundamental changes require a lot of patience and support from local population.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
And the population? 70 million of them are only headcounts, so you may have actually decline in per capita income as lagging people may be only poorer.
Anyway, on back on the track.
Re: The real size of Pakistan’s gross domestic product
@Neo This is indeed good initiative but desperance author showing.

If your $40-50 billions, doesn't make much difference to your perception.
Less than 15% increment can change your perception? :confused: Not at all.

Undocumented Economy isn't your problem alone, they are common in developing countries too.

IMO, focus on growth of official numbers instead of documentation on documented economy which is not possible for now.

You may be counting population first to document in long term.
Like India froze 86% of currency temporary. It hurts economy initially but our long term GDP will be up because our black economy will dissolve in official one due to digitization & anti cash rules.

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
A 25 per cent upward adjustment in the estimate of GDP will bring 2017 Pakistani income from $280 billion to $350 billion, improving its world ranking from 43rd to 31st. Included in the countries it will cross will be South Africa, Singapore, Malaysia and Egypt.
So Pak will be the new Singapore of the East? :troll:

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
So Pak will be the new Singapore of the East? :troll:
nice sarcasm

unfortuately this is a bit closer to the truth :-
the gdp is , well shall we say tempered by the GNP :-
https://tribune.com.pk/story/1352821/pakistans-trade-deficit-widens-record-high/
Pakistan’s trade deficit reaches record high
By Shahbaz Rana ( Pakistan Herald tribune )
Published: March 11, 2017

it's likely the high deficit was caused by iron friend prcchina so no probs for pak ........... endless tie to pay back or , well just hand the country over ....i mean not all of it , just certain strategic parts will be fine and forget about the debts

@IndianHawk@Willy2

@Krusty@lcafanboy
@nick_indian@Deadshot Para Guy@Google@republic_roi97@Defcon 1 @GhanteshwarSER=21606]@Ramdasrathsuryavanshi[/USER]@vinay535@Darth Malgus USER=14856]@Rushil51[/USER]@rishivashista13
@Ramdasrathsuryavanshi@Imaxxx@Eastman @raheel besharam@Bullet@raja696@LordOfTheUnderworlds

@Amr
@AnkitPurohit@Akshay_Fenix@aditya10r@Akaskkumar@airtel@angeldude13@aditya10r@Abhijat@AncientIndian@anupamsurey@aliyah @@Alien@AravindSanjeev @Achauhan@asingh10@AdityaG@asianobserve@Bahamut @BATTLEFIELD@Berkut@bose@Bornubus@brational@blueblood@Blackwater
@Blood+@bhai-117@Bangalorean@bengalraider
@Bengal_Tiger@biswas_k11 @BharatEkKhoj @BroodFather @cobracommando@Chirag @ChrisJude@Chinmoy@Cadian@DingDong@dhananjay1@ersakthivel@FRYCRY
@G10@Gessler@garg_bharat@guru-dutt @HariSud
@hit&run@hardip@HeinzGud@indiandefencefan@I_PLAY_BAD @IndianDevil@Indibomber@IndianHawk@Jangaruda
@JayPatel@jackprince@Kshatriya87@kstriya@LETHALFORCE@laughingbuddha@mhk99@Mikesingh@mayfair@MetsaMan@Markantony@manutdfan@maomao @NavneetKundu@Neil@NickyG@OneGrimPilgrim@pmaitra@parijataka@PaliwalWarrior@Pulkit@PrashantAzazel@rahulsingh@Rowdy@Razor@Rashna@[email protected]@shade@sasum@smestarz @SakalGhareluUstad@Srinivas_K@ShashankSharma@SANITY
@sunnyv@sgarg@sabari@Sameet2@saik@sorcerer@Superdefender@sydsnyper@Sridevi@SREEKAR@Screambowl@Sylex21@square@TacticalFrog@TejasMK3@Theenlightened
@TamilER]@tejaswarior@tharun@thethinker@tsunami@TODELU@VIP@VaghaDeva@Vishwarupa@VishalGuts@Yusuf@Yumdoot@Zebra

@roma

Pushyamitra

I estimate that urban per capita income as twice as high as rural: $2,00,000 per head for urban and $1,00,000 for rural.

Corrected for you.

Akshay_Fenix

CPEC will change Pakistan into a developed economy I can finally see it now. All naysayers are losers who live a sad life or want Pakistan to be destroyed to fill that empty void in their lives.

See the beautiful bridge constructed by a Chinese company, India should learn from it.

download.jpg

Khanpur canal collapses

Video for extra laughs

Willy2

Using the data from India and Bangladesh, we could estimate the size of the Pakistani economy.
Whats the meaning of this ??
Please enter a message with at least 30 characters.

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
nice sarcasm

unfortuately this is a bit closer to the truth :-
the gdp is , well shall we say tempered by the GNP :-
https://tribune.com.pk/story/1352821/pakistans-trade-deficit-widens-record-high/
Pakistan’s trade deficit reaches record high
By Shahbaz Rana ( Pakistan Herald tribune )
Published: March 11, 2017

it's likely the high deficit was caused by iron friend prcchina so no probs for pak ........... endless tie to pay back or , well just hand the country over ....i mean not all of it , just certain strategic parts will be fine and forget about the debts
Chinese pvt companies have borrowed heavily from private lending institutions and the Central Bank of China. Loans from the state owned Central Bank can be written off by the state but what about the pvt lending institutions? They'll want their money back and cannot be written off.

So they'll want back the billions of dollars they've poured into Pakistan and the OBOR project within a fixed time frame which in the case of Pakistan is 20 years. Some projects in the CPEC are at 3% and others at 8% interest. Add this to the principle and it would run into more than a couple billions of dollars per year. Meaning, an outgo of approx Rs20,000 crores PKR to Rs 30,000 crores PKR per year just for the CPEC!

Porkiland is heading down a financial black hole. Their foreign debt is already 70% of the GDP! They have started borrowing more to service their debts and that means they are fast approaching the dreaded debt trap from which it would be impossible to get out of.

It would be wonderful to see the Land of the Pure imploding and collapsing like a pack of cards! I'm waiting with bated breath for the great day when they declare themselves bankrupt!! :biggrin2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles