The Physical Fitness Thread

What do you prefer?

• Good body shape only, strength doesn't matter to me.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I hate excercise.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
Plenty of pictures: 2011 WORLD MEN'S CHAMPIONSHIPS - THE WINNERS
Ugly ....They made their body as a Fitted machine :herp: :herp:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Fitness would be relative to the region and climate as well, no?

They do. What is proper shape? Any body that is capable of function, acquires shape. Form follows function - remember? If you are able to go on a patrol for a week, you are fit. It doesn't matter how big chest or quads you have. However, chances are, you will have very strong muscles anyway. They might (not) be big, depending on Type I/II muscles. I'll ask @Singh to elaborate on this.
Body Weight exercise can give shape. Its all about genetics, diet and resistance. Resistance is the holy grail.

If a 120lb guy jogs he won't get bigger, but if a 300lb guy jogs, his legs are going to be phenomenal. His lower body has to support the 300lb weight over distance which provides tremendous resistance to his musculature. And this is an aerobic exercise which is using only your bodyweight as resistance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Neil

Country flag
hey guys... have heard that if u do crunches often and then stop..it kind of increases your belly fat rather reducing it.... how true is that...??

SPIEZ

Country flag
@pmaitra @Singh @sanjeevJino @Known_Unknown @Rage

We are going in the same circle.

The basic question is What is the STANDARD for Physical Fitness.

I understand that there cannot be one size fits all approach here. But there should be something that someone amongst us should be aware of.
The question here is not that body weight exercises are enough, or one has to go to the gym etc.

What should one be capable of doing if he is physically fit. How do we determine if someone is physically fit?

SPIEZ

Country flag
Ok, how about @Mad Indian? He is going to be a doctor. :troll:
Sure we can have him, but the physical fitness thread would turn into a caste debate followed by his ingenious ability of debating which is throwing abuses after abuses to prove his point.

I dont mind, he is kind of an entertainment :taunt:

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
@pmaitra @Singh @sanjeevJino @Known_Unknown @Rage

I understand that there cannot be one size fits all approach here. But there should be something that someone amongst us should be aware of.
The question here is not that body weight exercises are enough, or one has to go to the gym etc.

What should one be capable of doing if he is physically fit. How do we determine if someone is physically fit?
There isn't a single standard for physical fitness. The standard to be used depends on what the person is expected to do. If you are expected to be the world's fastest swimmer, doing bodybuilding training is not the way to do it. If you want to be the best gymnast, you do not spend all your time running marathons.

A person who wants to be good at a bit of everything will need to do a bit of everything. Of course, that is easier said than done, because it is impossible to be a good Yogi and a bodybuilder at the same time or a marathon runner and a sprinter at the same time. You need to pick complementary fitness goals such as long distance running and Yoga or bodybuilding and sprinting or swimming.

For objective measurements of fitness, refer to the Army's basic minimum requirements for all candidates. Of course, those are only the minimum requirements for entry/passing.

SPIEZ

Country flag
There isn't a single standard for physical fitness. The standard to be used depends on what the person is expected to do. If you are expected to be the world's fastest swimmer, doing bodybuilding training is not the way to do it. If you want to be the best gymnast, you do not spend all your time running marathons.

A person who wants to be good at a bit of everything will need to do a bit of everything. Of course, that is easier said than done, because it is impossible to be a good Yogi and a bodybuilder at the same time or a marathon runner and a sprinter at the same time. You need to pick complementary fitness goals such as long distance running and Yoga or bodybuilding and sprinting or swimming.

For objective measurements of fitness, refer to the Army's basic minimum requirements for all candidates. Of course, those are only the minimum requirements for entry/passing.
Nice post!

Probably we can start determining some standard of fitness, with the help of any existing system.

How should we split up physical fitness?
Will this suffice
1. Aerobic Endurance
2. Anaerobic Endurance
3. Strength
4. Flexibility
and what else?

Twinblade

Country flag
@<a href="http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/member.php?u=127" target="_blank">pmaitra</a> @<a href="http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/member.php?u=52" target="_blank">Singh</a> @<a href="http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/member.php?u=12844" target="_blank">sanjeev</a>Jino @<a href="http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/member.php?u=272" target="_blank">Known_Unknown</a> @<a href="http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/member.php?u=53" target="_blank">Rage</a>

If you want the basic standard for physical fitness, look no further than armed forces physical fitness requirement. The thing with body weight exercises is, that all of them are compound exercises, they target several muscle groups at the same time. Of course after a certain level, the body weight exercises become more about explosive strength rather than pure strength, hence their popularity among professional athletes and MMA fighters.
^^ This video has more body weight exercise variations than what a sane person can hope to achieve.

SPIEZ

Country flag
If you want the basic standard for physical fitness, look no further than armed forces physical fitness requirement. The thing with body weight exercises is, that all of them are compound exercises, they target several muscle groups at the same time. Of course after a certain level, the body weight exercises become more about explosive strength rather than pure strength, hence their popularity among professional athletes and MMA fighters.
^^ This video has more body weight exercise variations than what a sane person can hope to achieve.
Again we are running away from the topic.

How do we standardize Fitness?

Any ideas on the above.

Some of the exercise I have dome in the gym, some are really bad ass,which I would love to try out in the future.

Twinblade

Country flag
Again we are running away from the topic.
Your's is an exercise in futility.
How do we standardize Fitness?

Any ideas on the above.
There are already tests available for that. Push ups and sit ups are counted in a two minute time frame. Any score below 70 is failure.

Some of the exercise I have dome in the gym, some are really bad ass,which I would love to try out in the future.
Good for you.

SPIEZ

Country flag
@Twinblade: You have copy pasted from a site which I had posted years earlier.

Don't you atleast think that I wouldn't have gone through this?

Again the standardization of fitness is not just how many exercises you do, how much weight can you lift etc.

There is more to it. Wont do any harm in going through this exercise in futility anyways, will it?

Twinblade

Country flag
@Twinblade: You have copy pasted from a site which I had posted years earlier.

Don't you atleast think that I wouldn't have gone through this?
Good. So you know what minimum acceptable standard is. In fact if you are in your early twenties and are able to do over 50 push ups in 2 minutes, 60 sit ups in 2 minutes, 8 pull ups under a minute, run 100 meters under 14 seconds and run 3.2 km under 15 minutes, you are already better than 90% of the human race.

Again the standardization of fitness is not just how many exercises you do, how much weight can you lift etc. There is more to it. Wont do any harm in going through this exercise in futility anyways, will it?
I do not understand you question. If you are a healthy person and physically fit you should be able to the above exercises under the given constraints, if you are not you won't be able to, irrespective of height or build. This is what the armed forces and doctors believe. Remember, there is no upper limit for fitness. Some people consider taking part in marathons, triathlons and heptathlons to be a parameter of fitness, others believe in crossfit routines, while others consider bodyweight endurance exercises such as 100 push ups, 200 squats, 200 sit ups, 150 dips and 25 pull ups as the gold standard for fitness. If you feel bench pressing 120 Kg is your fitness standard, go for it. Want to run a marathon, go for it. You set your own standards. For the last 3 pages you have been asking for a standard for fitness, this is it. The only standards for fitness are minimum standards that you set for yourself.

SPIEZ

Country flag
I do not understand you question.

Than you should probably leave it.

And FYI I am still looking forward for a proper answer to the question.

And who is say that my standard of physical fitness is the good.

For example some people can dead lift 100 kgs. However if the back position is wrong while they bench press it might lead to permanent spine problem. And what about marathon running? It will only deplete body of much required carbs and fat. It does not build muscles.

One must ahve a good blend of both to achieve great fitness.

Also if I can set my own standards why should I ever post in a forum?

bhramos

Country flag
i'm thin all the way, but only belly, 44-46" can anyone help!!!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles