The Physical Fitness Thread

What do you prefer?

• Good body shape only, strength doesn't matter to me.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I hate excercise.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Snuggy321

I never listen to music while exercising, but sometimes I listen to the Soviet National Anthem and "Kadam Kadam Badaye Ja" [b]before[/b] a workout, to put me in the mood.
1. Soviets had badass anthems. Fact.

2. Kadam Kadam Badaye Ja allways pumps me up like nothing else. Makes me to run a few more kms

Last edited by a moderator:

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
Unfortunately not. :( I did learn karate and wrestling as a kid though, but can't say I'm any good at it. :lol:

That is on my to do list though. It's not enough to have a muscular frame, you must know how to use your strength and exploit your opponent's weaknesses. My plan is to learn Muay Thai.
Muay Thai moves look good. No comments about that. Hope there are good places for learning that, wherever you are staying.
Another two quite effective disciplines are "Krav Maga" from IDF/Shin Bet and "Systema" from Russia. Those two are peerless, just see their moves on Youtube and you'd know immediately. Unfortunately, don't think there are more than a handful of Krav Maga places in the country and Systema, forget about it.

Rage

DFI TEAM
Muay Thai moves look good. No comments about that. Hope there are good places for learning that, wherever you are staying.
Another two quite effective disciplines are "Krav Maga" from IDF/Shin Bet and "Systema" from Russia. Those two are peerless, just see their moves on Youtube and you'd know immediately. Unfortunately, don't think there are more than a handful of Krav Maga places in the country and Systema, forget about it.
Anybody want to learn Krav Maga, I can help you there.

I train with Krav Maga Global under Eyal Yanilov and his India representative, Elroy Vaz.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
Why Muay Thai over others? Why not some grappling disciplines ?
Any reasons ?
According to many discussions I've had with people on martial arts forums over the years, Muay Thai/Thai kickboxing is the BEST martial arts discipline without any peers. The extensive use of both legs and hands compared to other martial arts disciplines makes it very versatile and powerful.

Of course the discussions were about competitive sports, not stuff like Krav Maga which is more military oriented.

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
Anybody want to learn Krav Maga, I can help you there.

I train with Krav Maga Global under Eyal Yanilov and his India representative, Elroy Vaz.
Well, that's excellent! Thank you for the link. I plan to learn either KM or Systema sometime in the future.

Rage

DFI TEAM
Well, that's excellent! Thank you for the link. I plan to learn either KM or Systema sometime in the future.
You're very welcome. As a (biased) proponent of Krav Maga, I'd suggest that Krav Maga is much more practical, because it teaches you not just how to fight and neutralize your opponent quickly (in the absence of rules)- it teaches when and where fighting is necessary and how much force is just enough and required to ensure the preservation of yourself and your loved ones without necessarily going to jail for manslaughter.

SPIEZ

Country flag
US Army Physical Fitness Test

The US Army Physical Fitness Test, or APFT, consists of three events- push-ups, sit-ups, and a two mile run. Scores are normed for gender and age and soldiers must score at least 60 points in each event. This test is similar to physical fitness tests administered to the US Navy, US Marine Corps, US Air Force, and US Coast Guard.

This website is devoted to helping soldiers pass and eventually max their APFT. Follow the simple steps contained on these pages, and you will see an improvement in your scores. Click on the links above or below to find out techniques to help you excel in each area. If you're having problems and would like some personal assistance, please feel free to e-mail me.

The Test. First, find out what score you need to pass each event, and while you're looking this information up, find out what score you need to achieve the maximum points in each event. Having short-term and long-term goals is crucial to your physical fitness preparation. Also, learn strategies that will help you do your best on test day.

The Two Mile Run Secondly, start working regularly on your running ability. This is the area where most soldiers spend the majority of their time training. There is no substitute for putting miles on your running shoes, but you can use different training techniques to ensure that you're spending your training time wisely.

Push-ups. Next, concentrate on building up your push-up technique and your upper body strength. For most people weight lifting will eventually help them do more push-ups, but in order to get better faster there is no substitute for doing LOTS and LOTS of push-ups. However, it's important that you do these push-ups the right way and that you maximize the value of each push-up. I'm here to show you how to do that.

Sit-ups. Finally, focus on increasing the number of sit-ups you can do in two minutes. For some soldiers, this is not a problem area, but for those who have problems here, it can take a long time to solve them. Also, if you fail to train properly in this area, you can increase your risk of back damage, as numerous repetition of poor sit-up technique has been shown to cause physical harm.

SPIEZ

Country flag
How to Pass the TWO MILE RUN Test?

Week 1 Day 1: 2 Miles Timed | Day 2: 25 Minute Run/Jog | Day 3: 60/120 x 4
Week 2 Day 1: 2 Miles Timed | Day 2: 30 Minute Run/Jog | Day 3: 60/120 x 5
Week 3 Day 1: 2 Miles Timed | Day 2: 30 Minute Run/Jog | Day 3: 90/120 x 4
Week 4 Day 1: 2 Miles Timed | Day 2: 30 Minute Run/Jog | Day 3: 90/120 x 5
Week 5 Day 1: 2 Miles Timed | Day 2: 35 Minute Run/Jog | Day 3: 120/180 x 4
Week 6 Day 1: 2 Miles Timed | Day 2: 35 Minute Run/Jog | Day 3: 120/180 x 5
Week 7 Day 1: 2 Miles Timed | Day 2: 40 Minute Run/Jog | Day 3: 90/120 x 8
Week 8 Day 1: 2 Miles Timed | Day 2: 45 Minute Run/Jog | Day 3: 120/180 x 6

Source: How to Pass the US Army Physical Fitness Test

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
10 miles in 1:50, 35lb ruck + weapon + water: average speed 8,8 km/h, or 6:50/km pace. This means combined tabbing and slow running.
Looks great..

Last edited by a moderator:

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
You're very welcome. As a (biased) proponent of Krav Maga, I'd suggest that Krav Maga is much more practical, because it teaches you not just how to fight and neutralize your opponent quickly (in the absence of rules)- it teaches when and where fighting is necessary and how much force is just enough and required to ensure the preservation of yourself and your loved ones without necessarily going to jail for manslaughter.
Have you trained in any other marshal art before or you are going for KM straight away ? : )

Rage

DFI TEAM
Have you trained in any other marshal art before or you are going for KM straight away ? : )
I boxed for about 3 years at the Canadian club level. Prior martial arts experience, though useful, is not necessary in Krav Maga. In fact, sometimes it can be a downright hindrance. As I am discovering, with boxing. Krav Maga is about neutralizing opponents in the most efficient manner possible, while being totally situationally-aware. Which is why the first step in Krav Maga is always: simultaneous attack-defense, followed by attack-attack-attack.... Boxing is about rhythm: taking blows to your hand-guards, and then looking for openings to counter-attack. In Krav Maga, we don't allow our opponents to hit us in the first place...

Did you take the instructor course? I think there will one in Goa feb, 2013.
No. I'm at the G-1 level, the Graduate-1 level under Krav Maga Global's grading system, which is a relatively low level. Levels are: Practitioner (P) 1-2-3 - Graduate(G) : 1-2-3 - Expert/Instructor(E): 1-2-3-. So, not good enough to instruct yet unfortunately. : )

Indeed, the General Instructor's course (Part I) is happening between 6-17/2, 2013 with Part II scheduled btwn. 4-14/4, 2013. Eyal is expected to be there. Are you taking it?

Last edited:

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Routine I follow

Saturaday: Chest

Bench Press: 4~5 sets 20 reps (Body weight and lower progressively)

Dumbell Press: 4~5 sets 20 reps

Lateral raises or upright rows: 2~4 sets 10 reps

Tricep Pushdowns: 2~4 sets of 10 reps

Sunday: Back and Biceps

Wide grip pulldowns: 4~5sets 20 reps

Dumbbell Rows: 2~4 sets 15 reps

Dumbbell curls: 2~4 sets 15reps

Barbell curls: 2~4 sets 15 reps

Tuesday and Thrusday:
Boxing

Fridays : legs (optional)

Leg extensions: 2~4 sets 15 reps

Legs curls: 2~4 sets 10 reps

Calf raises: 2~4 sets 10 reps

P.S. Boxing is really good cardio :thumb:
Where is boxing coaching in Chennai?

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
Prior martial arts experience, though useful, is not necessary in Krav Maga.
I think it is. (I have read you mentioned avoiding man slaughter).

Krav Maga is adult's martial art, many level above than other marshal arts. Its very intense art developed for soldiers to kill quickly. It comes handy when situation gets out of control.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles