The Greatest Kings in Indian History

Who is the Greatest King in Indian History?

• Chandragupta Maurya

Votes: 115 33.7%
  • Ashoka

Votes: 45 13.2%
  • Raja Chola

Votes: 34 10.0%
  • Akbar

Votes: 16 4.7%
  • Sri Krishna Devaraya

Votes: 18 5.3%
  • Chatrapati Shivaji

Votes: 58 17.0%
  • Tipu Sultan

Votes: 9 2.6%
  • Ranjith Singh

Votes: 10 2.9%
  • Samudra Gupta

Votes: 11 3.2%
  • Chandragupta Vikramaditya

Votes: 20 5.9%
  • Harsha

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Kanishka

Votes: 4 1.2%

• Total voters

pmaitra

This is a very old thread and Chandragupta is still winning! I am sure most great kings were equally brave, but Chandragupta defeating the mighty Greeks adds a lot of extra shine and sheen to him!

Chandragupta Maurya, FTW!

west

I think Bajirao 1 but he was not king , he was prime-minister( peshwa) of Marathas so its Marathas because they ruled up to attock,lahor,peshawar in pakistan included a larger part of india (from pakistan,panjab to tamilnadu and up to bengal ) and diminished Mughals.

Bajirao Peshwa fought more than 41 battles reputed as never lost battle not a Single Battle.

Google Image Result for http://www.tribuneindia.com/2000/20000220/spectrum/28tt12.jpg

Blackwater

I think you missed Japanese, Russian,Persian,Europe,Thailand,New Zealand ,Aussie , Antarctica,Greenland,Finland !!! LOL !
you dont know power of sikh emperor. mods iska IP adress check karo

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
A great emperor.Great in more ways than one.
Greater than Raja Chola?

Gupta empire was the pinnacle of a particular class & ideology based in a particular region.
The Guptas were also very tolerant of other religious sects. Numerous Buddhist viharas were built during Gupta times (as testified by the Chinese traveler Xuanzang) and the universities of Nalanda and Vikramasila were patronized. While Buddhist sources mention persecution of their religion under the Sungas, they do not mention any persecution under the Guptas.

Rahul M

even the story of persecution under sungas has been proven to be incorrect.

paras

I think Rashtrakutas was also a noticeable empire tolerance for all realigion

many ethnic groups the early Rashtrakutas belonged, the north western ethnic groups of India,[9] the Kannadiga,[10][11] the Maratha, Reddi,the ,the ethnic tribes from the Punjab region.

The Rashtrakutas kings supported the popular religions of the day in the traditional spirit of religious tolerance it was ideal mixture of Hinduism,Jainism,Buddhis :cool2:m

The Rashtrakutas contributed much to the architectural heritage of the Deccan. The Rashtrakuta contributions to art and architecture are reflected in the splendid rock-cut cave temples at Ellora and Elephanta, located in present day Maharashtra. The Ellora site was originally part of a complex of 34 Buddhist caves probably created in the first half of the 6th century in rocky areas also occupied by Jains monks whose structural details show Pandyan influence. Cave temples occupied by Hindus only became feasible later.

The Rashtrakutas renovated these Buddhist caves and re-dedicated the rock-cut shrines. Amoghavarsha I espoused Jainism and there are five Jain cave temples at Ellora ascribed to his period. The most extensive and sumptuous of the Rashtrakutas work at Ellora is their creation of the monolithic Kailasanath Temple, a splendid achievement confirming the "Balhara" status as "one among the four principle Kings of the world". The walls of the temple have marvellous sculptures from Hindu mythology including Ravana, Shiva and Parvathi while the ceilings have paintings.

Param

even the story of persecution under sungas has been proven to be incorrect.
He he I expected you,.
Why am I not surprised its you who comes in defence of the Sungas.

Go ahead defend the Guptas too.

Param

Greater than Raja Chola?
Depends where one is from. Perspectives vary.
Besides no king in History scores very high in all aspects. Everyone has had negatives and positives.

Maurya empire weakened & went into oblivion soon after Ashoka. His pacifist policies are one of the reasons.

On the other hand RR Chola was succeeded by equally talented and successful Rajendra followed by Rajadiraja, Kulotunga.
Chola period saw Literacy rates in TN being the highest in India.
Even though the Cholas were Hindu rulers the lower castes were in a quite decent condition infact most of the nayanmars did not belong to upper castes.
Despite being Shaivaite he built the biggest Vaishnavite temple in India _ Srirangam Temple.

Oversees Trade, agriculture, art & Literature flourished under Chola rule.

The cholas are considered the only imperial power( having oversees empire) in the History of India. That gives me immense pride that i don't get from Mauryas.
It is not always right to compare two entities. Its like comparing apples and oranges.Each is great in its own way.

Interpretation of History cannot be divorced from one's identity.

For me my father is my hero & the greatest person, greater than any Mahatma.

The Guptas were also very tolerant of other religious sects. Numerous Buddhist viharas were built during Gupta times (as testified by the Chinese traveler Xuanzang) and the universities of Nalanda and Vikramasila were patronized. While Buddhist sources mention persecution of their religion under the Sungas, they do not mention any persecution under the Guptas.
One swallow does not make a summer.

I am sure you are not from a lower caste.
Maybe you do not know the firm entrenchment of the caste system and its relevenace to their rule.

PS: Even Kingdoms down south built some Buddhist structures but their support to Brahminincal Hinduism is what really mattered.

Last edited:
Reactions: KS

paras

Buddhist was never a majority religion in india. The story invasion of Buddhism by hinduism is made by Muslims and west to defend themselves.

India was allwayas mixture of different "religion"(culture) without any fiction but Christen and Muslims's history was allwayas full of Convertion and Barbarism so they made such theories which were suitable for them. Actually Ancient "India" and "China" were totally reserved from west culture in B.C. their contact with west was only up to trade, There was no such "concept" like "Religion" in Ancient India.

2--- THERE WAS NO SUCH "CONVERSION" METHOD IN HINDUISM FOR CONVERTING ANYONE TO HINDUISM IN ANCIENT INDIA..

3-- FIRST CONVERSION IN HINDUISM----- in my knowledge first official Conversion from Any other religion to Hinduism happend In TIME of KING SHIVAJI--

Aurangzeb Forcefully Converted A maratha saradar to islam. "NETAJI PALKAR/ Muhammed Kuli Khan "

Netaji Palkar was appointed as Garrison commander of the Kandahar fort. He tried to escape but was traced and trapped at Lahore. Thereafter on the battlefields of Kandhar and Kabul, he fought for the Mughals against rebel Pathans. Thus he gained the good faith of Aurangzeb and was sent to the Deccan along with Commander Diler Khan to conquer Shivaji's territory.

However, after entering Maharashtra, Netaji joined Shivaji's troops and went to Raigad. Thus, after a decade in Mughal captivity, Netaji turned up at the court of Shivaji, asking to be taken back into the Hindu fold.Shivaji arranged for the reconversion of Netaji at Raigad, even though it was opposed by some of the orthodox Brahmins. However, with the acceptance and counsel of judges and senior members in Shivaji's court, he became a Hindu once more.

4----BRAHMINISM--

Brahmins Of india always opposed reconvertion of Of hindus who were forcefully converted to islam. There are many example of that Brahmins opposed to Reconvert kashmiri hindus. Even when any man became "Sanayasi" they were no allowed to return.

So its totally stupid to say Buddhist invade by hindus Because its impossible that Brahmins would give permission to such Conversition.

Even if in whole world only single Brahmins reamin alive he will not allow to people to reconvert in Hinduism This was what BRAHMINISM From thousand years up to 19th century.

5--- HINDU FATHER AND MUSLIM SON

A FAMOUS EXAMPLE "BAJIRAO 1" HAD PERSIAN ROOT MUSLIM LOVER "MASATANI". BAJIRAO HAD SON FROM MASTANI TO WHOM ""BAJIRAO 1"" DECLARED HINDU BUT MARATHA BRAHIMINS OPPOSED IT AND BRAHIMINS FORCED HIM TO TAKE BACK HIS DECISION AND DECLARED HIS SON MUSLIM.

A EMPEROR OF NEAR ABOUT WHOLE INDIA BAJIRAO FAILED TO MAKE HIS OWN SON "HINDU" This was due to BRAHMINiSM.

so there is no possiblity that buddhist again forcefully reconverted in to hinduism.

Iamanidiot

Buddhist was never a majority religion in india. The story invasion of Buddhism by hinduism is made by Muslims and west to defend themselves.

India was allwayas mixture of different "religion"(culture) without any fiction but Christen and Muslims's history was allwayas full of Convertion and Barbarism so they made such theories which were suitable for them. Actually Ancient "India" and "China" were totally reserved from west culture in B.C. their contact with west was only up to trade, There was no such "concept" like "Religion" in Ancient India.

2--- THERE WAS NO SUCH "CONVERSION" METHOD IN HINDUISM FOR CONVERTING ANYONE TO HINDUISM IN ANCIENT INDIA..

3-- FIRST CONVERSION IN HINDUISM----- in my knowledge first official Conversion from Any other religion to Hinduism happend In TIME of KING SHIVAJI--

Aurangzeb Forcefully Converted A maratha saradar to islam. "NETAJI PALKAR/ Muhammed Kuli Khan "

Netaji Palkar was appointed as Garrison commander of the Kandahar fort. He tried to escape but was traced and trapped at Lahore. Thereafter on the battlefields of Kandhar and Kabul, he fought for the Mughals against rebel Pathans. Thus he gained the good faith of Aurangzeb and was sent to the Deccan along with Commander Diler Khan to conquer Shivaji's territory.

However, after entering Maharashtra, Netaji joined Shivaji's troops and went to Raigad. Thus, after a decade in Mughal captivity, Netaji turned up at the court of Shivaji, asking to be taken back into the Hindu fold.Shivaji arranged for the reconversion of Netaji at Raigad, even though it was opposed by some of the orthodox Brahmins. However, with the acceptance and counsel of judges and senior members in Shivaji's court, he became a Hindu once more.

4----BRAHMINISM--

Brahmins Of india always opposed reconvertion of Of hindus who were forcefully converted to islam. There are many example of that Brahmins opposed to Reconvert kashmiri hindus. Even when any man became "Sanayasi" they were no allowed to return.

So its totally stupid to say Buddhist invade by hindus Because its impossible that Brahmins would give permission to such Conversition.

Even if in whole world only single Brahmins reamin alive he will not allow to people to reconvert in Hinduism This was what BRAHMINISM From thousand years up to 19th century.

A FAMOUS EXAMPLE "BAJIRAO 1" HAD PERSIAN ROOT MUSLIM LOVER "MASATANI". BAJIRAO HAD SON FROM MASTANI TO WHOM ""BAJIRAO 1"" DECLARED HINDU BUT MARATHA BRAHIMINS OPPOSED IT AND BRAHIMINS FORCED HIM TO TAKE BACK HIS DECISION AND DECLARED HIS SON MUSLIM.

A EMPEROR OF NEAR ABOUT WHOLE INDIA BAJIRAO FAILED TO MAKE HIS OWN SON "HINDU" This was due to BRAHMINiSM.

so there is no possiblity that buddhist again forcefully reconverted in to hinduism.
Hey Cousin ----ing Pakistani can you ---- of from here Iam being polite here.Are you a product of Incest?

paras

Hey Cousin ----ing Pakistani can you ---- of from here Iam being polite here.Are you a product of Incest?
i think people misUnderstood me :hail::hail::hail:

Why did you comment on this post ? which part of this post indicate that i am paki ?

if you r talking about my comment on singh's post than i just pulled his leg , i am not paki Mr. L

I am good reade,r i know about RanjithSingh's kingdom.

Don't you think post of singh was quite overwhelmed Afgan,tibet,chinese chinese ??? :shocked: Ranjithsingh had small part of tibet it donsen't mean that he ruled Chinese . i felt his post was quite stupidish so i his pulled his leg .

warriorextreme

Country flag

4----BRAHMINISM--

to know more about why and how budhism lost its ground from india you must study about pushyamitra sunga,Brhadrata,minider(mentioned as milind in budha literature)...many budhists returned to hindu faith(no conversion required inside dharmic religions) after this as they were being labeled as traitors...they were not persecuted...

Global Defence

New threads

Articles