The Atheism/Agnosticism Thread

Do you think God exists?

• Total voters

panduranghari

For the modernizers ~(read Atheists),nothing is sacred. Hindu civilization considers everything to be sacred. Modernizers in the Indian context are the "Nehruvian children" misguided and maladjusted to Indian civilizational roots. They wanted the State to replace society as a regulator, arbitrator and settler of all disputes. They want to create an abstract society which is rootless and without memory.

-R. Vaidyanathan

Link

natarajan

Everything has scientific reason and used god so that people follow with fear.

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
There is nothing special to be an atheist. Just dont feel the concept of Allah what is my family (and most of the Muslims) believe or the concept most of the Hindus believe. Most of the people around us, Hindu ,Muslim alike consider God to be a entity (or entities) who keeps an eye upon us, punish or reward us for our wrong doings and control everything. Sorry, cant believe it. It looks like God is a huge child playing never ending video games and we all are characters of the game.
Then the post was not meant for you nor me :) it was for the people who reject God in fashion!

trackwhack

Re: Salam, Schalom, Namaste!

Well, so far Tronic has done a pretty good job in explaining how the term is not necessarily an 'oxymoron'.

I would argue that my moniker is in a sense analogous to the dissonance between 'national identity' (nationalism) and a belief that all human beings are relatively equal - I am a Pakistani nationalist, but at the same time I have Arab, Indian and (white and black) American friends, with whom I interact without paying attention to their nationality, religion or skin color.

But by virtue of being a 'Pakistani nationalist' (or Indian nationalist) one could argue that I consider Pakistan and Pakistanis 'superior' to other nations and people, but I don't.

I identify myself as a Muslim because that is the faith in which I was raised, and because it played a significant role in shaping me into the individual I am today. I define myself as an Agnostic because I don't view my faith as being superior to other faiths, and I don't view people who practice a different faith (or no faith) any differently than I do those who practice Islam. What does color my opinion about people (whether Hindu, Muslim, atheists) is how they themselves deal with differences of race and religion.

Cheers

AM
Well, that is not the correct definition for Agnosticism. Anyway, over n out.

Nagraj

Well, so far Tronic has done a pretty good job in explaining how the term is not necessarily an 'oxymoron'.

I would argue that my moniker is in a sense analogous to the dissonance between 'national identity' (nationalism) and a belief that all human beings are relatively equal - I am a Pakistani nationalist, but at the same time I have Arab, Indian and (white and black) American friends, with whom I interact without paying attention to their nationality, religion or skin color.

But by virtue of being a 'Pakistani nationalist' (or Indian nationalist) one could argue that I consider Pakistan and Pakistanis 'superior' to other nations and people, but I don't.

I identify myself as a Muslim because that is the faith in which I was raised, and because it played a significant role in shaping me into the individual I am today. I define myself as an Agnostic because I don't view my faith as being superior to other faiths, and I don't view people who practice a different faith (or no faith) any differently than I do those who practice Islam. What does color my opinion about people (whether Hindu, Muslim, atheists) is how they themselves deal with differences of race and religion.

Cheers

AM
This makes you secular not agnostic.

Last edited:

Nagraj

Then the post was not meant for you nor me :) it was for the people who reject God in fashion!
C'on dude ... many people don't reject god out of fashion.
they do so because they were interested in god and ended up reading too much.

Agnostic Muslim

Well, that is not the correct definition for Agnosticism. Anyway, over n out.
Why not?

By not holding my faith (and therefore my God) as being superior to another, I am essentially arguing that I while there might be a 'deity' of some kind, I do not know what it is like ...

Nagraj

really !
while treating every religion/ god equal can be anything but it's not the core component of agnosticism.
Agnotism is unsurity about the god/ultimate djinn . it has nothing to do with religion.

The response to Nagraj would be the same as the response to trackwhack - why repeat it?

Agnostic Muslim

really !
while treating every religion/ god equal can be anything but it's not the core component of agnosticism.
Agnotism is unsurity about the god/ultimate djinn . it has nothing to do with religion.
But doesn't 'treating every religion/god equally' (and I should also have added treating atheists equally) essentially boil down to 'unsurity about god/ultimate djinn'?

Last edited:

Nagraj

Not exactly .
That will make you a courteous/civilized human being .
the point is 'Agnosticism' is not about how you perceive faith of others but its about your own faith vis a vis god.
But doesn't 'treating every religion/god equally' (and I should also have added treating atheists equally) not essentially boil down to 'unsurity about god/ultimate djinn'?

trackwhack

Not exactly .
the point is 'Agnosticism' is not about how you perceives faith of others but its about your own faith vis a vis god.
Nagraj ... horse, water and all that.

Agnostic Muslim

Not exactly .
Merely treating people, irrespective of their God/religion, equally would make one a 'courteous human being', actually believing that their god/religion might be just as true (or just as false) as ones own god/religion would fall into the category I place myself in.
the point is 'Agnosticism' is not about how you perceive faith of others but its about your own faith vis a vis god.
I believe my interpretation of faith fits your definition.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
geoBR Atheism and Orthodoxy in Modern Russia General Multimedia 1
The3Amigos China auto thread China 332
JaguarWarrior Russian civil aviation thread Europe and Russia 44
JaguarWarrior Russia auto thread Europe and Russia 930