The Atheism/Agnosticism Thread

Do you think God exists?

• Total voters

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Re: How Muslims around the world celebrate the month of Ramadan

What if I say causality is invalid at or before the creation of the Universe, can you prove otherwise ?

PS: I didn't ask you to shut up . :)
You avoided my question :p

Tronic

You are a believer ? but why ? I mean grounds for your such belief ?
God helped me get through the thick and thin of things. That is why I'm a believer. A lot of atheists would say, well you're psychologically tricking yourself into providing you with false comfort from your ills by invoking God. My answer to them is, works for me. :namaste:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag

You avoided my question :p
Okay. Let me rephrase. Validity of causality is established only after the moment of creation, therefore at or before the moment of creation, a cause need not precede an effect. Hence the need for a creator is removed. :)

Tronic

Neither atheism make sense nor theism because they don't follow logic. Why would an all powerful and loving God allow daily tragedies of shootings, rapes, etc? Why would he allow millions to die in war, famine, disease?
IMO, Karma.

There is no other "Hell" but the earth itself. Our Karma keeps us revolving in this cycle of hell and pushes our souls deeper in suffering, while, selfless service to humanity without hatred, greed, ego, etc, alleviates our souls to less suffering. The goal is to break free of this cycle.

Ofcourse, can't prove it. It's just what I feel is right and choose to believe.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
If you're going by the Dharmic version of karma, it only decides what life you will be born into in the future. Not the circumstances of your life.

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag

Okay. Let me rephrase. Validity of causality is established only after the moment of creation, therefore at or before the moment of creation, a cause need not precede an effect. Hence the need for a creator is removed. :)
:confused: Ok ! now this universe and we all have been created, and so the validity of causality has been established :heh:, now tell me who created all of us? If big bang then who banged it ?

Although it does not satisfy the questions I asked But I liked your reply! ;)

God helped me get through the thick and thin of things. That is why I'm a believer. A lot of atheists would say, well you're psychologically tricking yourself into providing you with false comfort from your ills by invoking God. My answer to them is, works for me. :namaste:
I am also a believer like you , I also have been an atheist for a long period of my life, Yes he helps us in the most difficult times. And if it is a false comfort then let it be so. And see by saying such you already have argued in the favour of God's existence.:heh:

Tronic

If you're going by the Dharmic version of karma, it only decides what life you will be born into in the future. Not the circumstances of your life.
I'm going by my own version. :)

The religious (Sikhi) version is basically that pain and suffering is part and parcel of life and is allowed by god as a test for humanity.

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
I thought God was SatChitAnanda ?
Making "God" Satchit Ananda gives a personality. IIRC all branches of Vedanta don't agree on Sat chit Ananda.

I don't know how someone would describe the realization of Ultimate Reality. Philosophers came up with Ananda since it has positive connotations.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
I'm going by my own version. :)

The religious (Sikhi) version is basically that pain and suffering is part and parcel of life and is allowed by god as a test for humanity.
So getting raped, mutilated, tortured and killed is God's test? One sick God you pray to, I must say.

Nothing personal.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Making "God" Satchit Ananda gives a personality. IIRC all branches of Vedanta don't agree on Sat chit Ananda.

I don't know how someone would describe the realization of Ultimate Reality. Ananda is a feeling which some of philosophers randomly came up with
Over time the concept of God has been expanded and refined.

One is God as Brahmaan
Another sees God as Parmatma
And yet another treats God as Bhagwan

SCA is a distinguishing trait. Your aim is to obtain, and merge with this Ananda.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Why is there a need for merging ? The difference never existed in the first place, it was/is all Maya :namaste:
Apparently seeking deliverance from maya is not as good as jumping in the pool of bliss.

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
Apparently seeking deliverance from maya is not as good as jumping in the pool of bliss.
It may not be blissful at all. . It may be even painful or neither.It's something abstract which has been termed as blissful. :namaste:

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
God doesn't inflict evil upon anyone, he simply allows evil to exist. There is a difference here.
Try making that argument in a court of law. "I didn't rape myself, just allowed the rapist to rape the victim though I could easily have stopped it". You'll be thrown in the slammer anyway as an accessory to the crime.

I hope we can hold "God" to higher moral standards.

Tronic

Try making that argument in a court of law. "I didn't rape myself, just allowed the rapist to rape the victim though I could easily have stopped it". You'll be thrown in the slammer anyway as an accessory to the crime.

I hope we can hold "God" to higher moral standards.
Is suffering a crime? Suffering is part and parcel of life. It is this suffering which gives you a sense of sin. It is suffering which tests your humanity, your compassion.

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
Is suffering a crime? Suffering is part and parcel of life. It is this suffering which gives you a sense of sin. It is suffering which tests your humanity, your compassion.
The victim suffers. The "evil" makes him/her suffer. The accessory (God) allows the suffering.

The only person free of sin here is the victim. If we lived in a world where the worst form of suffering was the common cold, then maybe we could excuse God's inaction. But since there are far far worse crimes taking place causing suffering orders of magnitude worse, God cannot be absolved of guilt.

A God that allows babies to be ripped out from their wombs and burnt alive, women to be raped and tortured and men hacked to pieces as often happens in conflict zones is a sick, despicable God that does not deserve any prayers, but only condemnation.

Tronic

The victim suffers. The "evil" makes him/her suffer. The accessory (God) allows the suffering.

The only person free of sin here is the victim. If we lived in a world where the worst form of suffering was the common cold, then maybe we could excuse God's inaction. But since there are far far worse crimes taking place causing suffering orders of magnitude worse, God cannot be absolved of guilt.

A God that allows babies to be ripped out from their wombs and burnt alive, women to be raped and tortured and men hacked to pieces as often happens in conflict zones is a sick, despicable God that does not deserve any prayers, but only condemnation.
All life on earth is a "victim". That's the point. Suffering and pain is part of mortal existence! Happiness and Pain are two sides of the same coin! One cannot exist without the other. Many Sikh Gurus have gone to their deaths smiling. Infact, talking about men being hacked to pieces, Bhai Mani Singh even joked with his Mughal executor to hack him properly (as the executor who was asked to hack Bhai Mani Singh to pieces started off with his wrists, after which Bhai Mani Singh joked and told him that human joints actually start from the fingers, not wrists!) That is the power of belief in God. Pain is temporary and a part of life, soul is forever.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
geoBR Atheism and Orthodoxy in Modern Russia General Multimedia 1
The3Amigos China auto thread China 332
JaguarWarrior Russian civil aviation thread Europe and Russia 44
JaguarWarrior Russia auto thread Europe and Russia 929