Sukhoi Su 30MKI

Filtercoffee

Country flag
I have a question, why does the SU 30 fleet only have Number 20 Lightenings markings on the tails and not other squadrons?

gryphus-scarface

Country flag

This is an great video on the Su-30 MKI at the Red Flag. Also has a good discussion on the thrust vectoring, and how it is engaged on the F-22 vs the Su-30 MKI

WolfPack86

Country flag
Aim to improve long range engagement capability, IAF to arm it's Su-30MKI fleet with Israeli I-DERBY ER BVRAAM

IAF to arm it's Su-30MKI fleet with Rafael made I-DERBY ER in two years to match the capability of America supplied AIM-120C. The I-DERBY ER is RAFAEL'S extended range version of its Beyond Visual Range (BVR) active radar-guided air-to-air missile – the I-Derby ER. It is an evolutionary version of the Derby BVR missile unveiled earlier this year at Aero India. The Derby entered service in the mid-1990s and is fielded with six customers worldwide.

The latest variant is equipped with a new seeker that employs an advanced solid-state Software Defined Radar (SDR), based on combat proven technology derived from the Tamir missile, the interceptor used in RAFAEL’s Iron Dome system.

The new seeker is lighter and more compact than its predecessor, thus clearing valuable space which has been used by the missile designers to increase the propulsion system by adding a second mode (kick), accelerating the missile at the terminal phase of the flight. This new addition increases the range of the I-Derby ER beyond 100 km., significantly more than its current “short/medium” range capability.

This “second kick” greatly improves the missile’s performance. “This phase is not serial, but operates independently of the primary rocket propulsion as it is activated at any time during the fight, by the flight control system.” Yaniv explains. The second pulse would likely kick in when the missile is closing on its target, accelerating it and increasing its kinematic envelope, thus increasing its “no escape zone”.

The use of SDR technology means the missile seeker can be reprogrammed with software upgrades including new waveforms, duty cycles and processing techniques, addressing new threats, countermeasures and techniques that may evolve through its lifespan of 20-30 years.

Paris Air Show 2015
See Aviation Week’s coverage of the Paris Air Show
Another advantage of the I-Derby ER is its ability to lock onto targets before and after launch, enabling the aircraft to engage targets at all ranges.

Currently completing development, I-Derby ER will soon be available for delivery for new orders, or replacement of existing stocks. “We already have several customers seeking long-range intercept capabilities, some are looking at I-Derby ER as the most suitable and affordable solution for their requirements,” says RAFAEL.

A major advantage of the I-Derby ER is that it uses the same missile envelope. Unlike the AAIM-120D or Meteor, I-Derby ER will be compatible with aircraft currently cleared to carry Derby. RAFAEL claims it will be able to deliver 80% of the Meteor’s performance at a third of its cost. It is also superior to the AIM-120C7 and more affordable, the company claims. Already cleared on F-16 (Block 52), F-5E, Kfir and Sea Harrier, I-Derby ER integration tests are currently under way on the Indian Tejas LCA.

The integration of new BVRAAM, Su-30MKI will have a bigger advantage over PAF fleet. The PAF is currently lacks the Lock On After Launch capability on it's both main BVRAAM AIM-120C & SD-10. The IAF is also looking to add indigenously developed 70-90km range Astra BVRAAM in Su-30MKI fleet to improve it's engagement capability in short-medium range.
https://www.facebook.com/pg/TeamAMCA/photos/?ref=page_internal

IndianHawk

Country flag
Aim to improve long range engagement capability, IAF to arm it's Su-30MKI fleet with Israeli I-DERBY ER BVRAAM

IAF to arm it's Su-30MKI fleet with Rafael made I-DERBY ER in two years to match the capability of America supplied AIM-120C. The I-DERBY ER is RAFAEL'S extended range version of its Beyond Visual Range (BVR) active radar-guided air-to-air missile – the I-Derby ER. It is an evolutionary version of the Derby BVR missile unveiled earlier this year at Aero India. The Derby entered service in the mid-1990s and is fielded with six customers worldwide.

The latest variant is equipped with a new seeker that employs an advanced solid-state Software Defined Radar (SDR), based on combat proven technology derived from the Tamir missile, the interceptor used in RAFAEL’s Iron Dome system.

The new seeker is lighter and more compact than its predecessor, thus clearing valuable space which has been used by the missile designers to increase the propulsion system by adding a second mode (kick), accelerating the missile at the terminal phase of the flight. This new addition increases the range of the I-Derby ER beyond 100 km., significantly more than its current “short/medium” range capability.

This “second kick” greatly improves the missile’s performance. “This phase is not serial, but operates independently of the primary rocket propulsion as it is activated at any time during the fight, by the flight control system.” Yaniv explains. The second pulse would likely kick in when the missile is closing on its target, accelerating it and increasing its kinematic envelope, thus increasing its “no escape zone”.

The use of SDR technology means the missile seeker can be reprogrammed with software upgrades including new waveforms, duty cycles and processing techniques, addressing new threats, countermeasures and techniques that may evolve through its lifespan of 20-30 years.

Paris Air Show 2015
Another advantage of the I-Derby ER is its ability to lock onto targets before and after launch, enabling the aircraft to engage targets at all ranges.

Currently completing development, I-Derby ER will soon be available for delivery for new orders, or replacement of existing stocks. “We already have several customers seeking long-range intercept capabilities, some are looking at I-Derby ER as the most suitable and affordable solution for their requirements,” says RAFAEL.

A major advantage of the I-Derby ER is that it uses the same missile envelope. Unlike the AAIM-120D or Meteor, I-Derby ER will be compatible with aircraft currently cleared to carry Derby. RAFAEL claims it will be able to deliver 80% of the Meteor’s performance at a third of its cost. It is also superior to the AIM-120C7 and more affordable, the company claims. Already cleared on F-16 (Block 52), F-5E, Kfir and Sea Harrier, I-Derby ER integration tests are currently under way on the Indian Tejas LCA.

The integration of new BVRAAM, Su-30MKI will have a bigger advantage over PAF fleet. The PAF is currently lacks the Lock On After Launch capability on it's both main BVRAAM AIM-120C & SD-10. The IAF is also looking to add indigenously developed 70-90km range Astra BVRAAM in Su-30MKI fleet to improve it's engagement capability in short-medium range.
Astra bvraam range is 80-110km in head on chase mode. Where derby ER is supposed to be better is no escape zone due to extra propulsion unit.

Sent from my C103 using Tapatalk

IndianHawk

Country flag
Derby ER is already in service with Columbia air force.

https://www.defensa.com/colomb...bia-incorpora-misil-i-derby-er

Their old kfir plane are upgraded with elta 2052 radar and can now fire derby ER which they have procured. It also means that integration of derby ER with 2052 is already proven.

So derby ER is already here while Astra mk2 will take time . This might influence iaf reasoning.
After all it is a ready made solution. Mate derby ER with bars radar and you have lethal egde over paf within a year.

Steven Rogers

NaPakiRoaster
Country flag

Paris Air Show 2015

Israel will not share source codes to the russians .. Forget integration of derby on su30mki

IndianHawk

Country flag
Israel will not share source codes to the russians .. Forget integration of derby on su30mki
Israeli jammers were there on su30mki.( I'm not sure of this though).
Even on mig27 there were elta jamming pods!

Russia and Israel do collaborate closely.

Anyway if not derby ER then probably r77- 1 latest version will do.

Steven Rogers

NaPakiRoaster
Country flag
Israeli jammers were there on su30mki.( I'm not sure of this though).
Even on mig27 there were elta jamming pods!

Russia and Israel do collaborate closely.

Anyway if not derby ER then probably r77- 1 latest version will do.

For the jammers you dont need to supply the source codes and it is not integrated with the radar but with the mc of the aircraft. Missiles like derby are integrated with the radar and for that missile's source codes are required to be available to the radar vendor for the software integration.

IndianHawk

Country flag
For the jammers you dont need to supply the source codes and it is not integrated with the radar but with the mc of the aircraft. Missiles like derby are integrated with the radar and for that missile's source codes are required to be available to the radar vendor for the software integration.
Well then it's good news for Astra mk2 development. As western weaponry will never go into su30mki and Russian air to air weaponry is not upto the mark. So Indian weaponry has a huge captive platform.

Tanmay

Country flag

Paris Air Show 2015

With American sanctions, will Israel risk working with Russians to arm Sukhoi's with Derby? All Israeli weapons manufacturers are deeply tied with American financial and industrial markets. Cooperating with Russians will lead to CAATSA sanctions being applied to such Israeli companies too.

To install Derby, Israel will have to work with Russians because missiles wont work without the Flight Computers, Radars and other Russian paraphernalia.

Kchontha

Country flag
Su 30 mki is a capable aircraft, no doubt but I won't be satisfied until it's engine and radar are replaced. That is supersukhois.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

IndianHawk

Country flag
As an interim measure before I derby er integration...will IAF buy R-77-1...
Not really it's more either or situation. If derby ER comes r77-1 is not needed.

The real thing is Astra mk2 which will be similar to derby ER but indegenios and then sfdr based long range missile that will be similar to meteor but indegenios.

IndianHawk

Country flag
Su 30 mki is a capable aircraft, no doubt but I won't be satisfied until it's engine and radar are replaced. That is supersukhois.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
Su30 size aesa will be costly also new engine 2 pair each will be costly .

Does anyone has data on aesa radar prices and AL 41 engine price!

How much cost to upgrade each su30. We have 280.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag

Paris Air Show 2015

Israel is the greatest threat to indigenous products. To cannablise Astra sales for this???

IndianHawk

Country flag
Israel is the greatest threat to indigenous products. To cannablise Astra sales for this???
I don't think Astra can be stopped now.
R77 are 15-20 years old now and huge numbers need to be replaced . Derby ER is a step ahead of Astra mk1 . Astra mk2 with dual pulse motor will be equivalent to derby ER.

That also means derby ER will be more costly than Astra mk1. So only limited numbers will be ordered . While Astra mk1/ mk2 will become bread and butter in large numbers.

Think of them like meteor and mica. Meteor is lethal but too costly hence mica still has a role to play in huge numbers.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles