Sukhoi-30SM Flanker D

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
I personally would prefer if Indian Navy would Procure 2-3 squadrons of SU-30 MKI.

1 Squadron typically includes 18 Aircrafts so
2-3 squadron will consist of :
2 × 18 / 3 × 18 which is =
36/54 or you can say 36-54 Aircrafts.

The fact is that 1 SU-30 MKI will be able to carry 5 Brahmos NG in it so 1 Squadron will be able to carry 5 × 18 which is 90 Missiles.

Just imagine that! A Salvo of 90 Mach 3 missiles. No opposing Naval force will want to face that. Pakistan Navy will not even have the guts to come near. The SU30MKI can also carry 4Kh35/3Kh59/6Kh-31p alternatively.

it would be nice if we follow the Russian Approach with regards to usage of SU-30 MKI like how Russia uses SU-30SM in Both it's Navy and Airforce like that we can use SU-30 MKI in both IAF and Navy.

johnj

Why don't we use SU-30 MKI in our Navy? I mean not for Carrier Take off and Landing or to be used as a Carrier air wing but as a Off-shore Squadron. I mean Indian Navy should buy SU-30 MKI as off-shore squadron which can be armed with Brahmos cruise missiles, Kh-31 etc for Anti Shipping roles. Like how Russian Naval Aviation uses. Imagine SU-30 MKI in Indian Navy with a nice Camo.
View attachment 138548
Iaf don't like those idea. IAF responsible for naval strike and uses two sqn. Now su30mki with brahmos. Navy only carrier based fighter jets. Money also a factor.

johnj

I personally would prefer if Indian Navy would Procure 2-3 squadrons of SU-30 MKI.

1 Squadron typically includes 18 Aircrafts so
2-3 squadron will consist of :
2 × 18 / 3 × 18 which is =
36/54 or you can say 36-54 Aircrafts.

The fact is that 1 SU-30 MKI will be able to carry 5 Brahmos NG in it so 1 Squadron will be able to carry 5 × 18 which is 90 Missiles.

Just imagine that! A Salvo of 90 Mach 3 missiles. No opposing Naval force will want to face that. Pakistan Navy will not even have the guts to come near. The SU30MKI can also carry 4Kh35/3Kh59/6Kh-31p alternatively.

it would be nice if we follow the Russian Approach with regards to usage of SU-30 MKI like how Russia uses SU-30SM in Both it's Navy and Airforce like that we can use SU-30 MKI in both IAF and Navy.
IAF don't like those idea. Costly for navy. IN can consider mmpa for brahmos a or/and teddy.

johnj

Naval strike role? Where do we use them in Naval Strike Role? I mean does Navy Operate an off-shore Squadron of SU-30 MKIs with Weopons like Brahmos etc or does IAF Operate them on behalf of the Indian Navy?
IAF having naval strike group, which can also do other roles. Now su30mki [40] before jaguar. Since IN can handle any threat from surface ship, iaf now a days don't give a lots of importance to it, but keep/having naval strike group. Naval strike is a req for mmrca. May be in future once teddy arrive in numbers, IAF may consider giving a little importance to it, but keep naval strike groups including air to air/ air to sea. Also I think IAF deploy jets from their bases.

Super Flanker

Country flag
Iaf don't like those idea. IAF responsible for naval strike and uses two sqn. Now su30mki with brahmos. Navy only carrier based fighter jets. Money also a factor.
Indian Airforce is responsible for Naval strike? 2 Squadrons? Which are these 2 Squadrons which you are referring to? Please name Those 2 Squadrons here.

johnj

IAF is responsible for Naval strike? 2 Squadrons? Which are these 2 Squadrons which you are referring to? Please name Them here.
Sorry, i don.t know Squadrons names. Iaf used jaguar for Naval strike training and having 2 sqn or something, old 1.8 decade or so, after that no much. Last time I heard , 40 mki with brahmos. I have seen jaguar in action, in Naval strike training, just flying in formation.

Last edited:

Super Flanker

Country flag
Timestamp : 16:43-17:00 : The Narrator quotes that SU-30SM was in some way a product of Both indian and Russian Co-operation.

My question here is : Are there any Indian Components on the SU-30 SMs or Initial Batches of SU-30 SM which were delivered to Russia? I heard Somewhere that these SU-30 SM had indian Mission Computers installed on them.

Super Flanker

Country flag
If SU-30 SM was an aircraft which was the result of a collaboration between India and Russia than I will have to admit that the SU-30 SM is a very good plane.

SU-30 SM has to be the best derivative of the SU-30 MKI. India's Sukhoi SU-30 MKI is definitely more advanced as compared to the Russian Sukhoi SU-30 SM.

I always wonder though what would be the Flyaway cost of an Sukhoi SU-30 for Export Customers.

no smoking

Country flag
SU-30 SM has to be the best derivative of the SU-30 MKI. India's Sukhoi SU-30 MKI is definitely more advanced as compared to the Russian Sukhoi SU-30 SM.
Not necessarily true.
Su-30 MKI was actually a experimental project of Russia, quite a lot brand new technologies /aerodynamic designs were implemented for the first time. On the other hand, Su-30 SM was developed based on the experience of Su-30 MKI, especially those experience from actual operation. So, Su-30 SM is actually an upgraded version of Su-30 MKI. Regarding, material, structure and dynamic shape, fly control, it is better than Su-30 MKI.

Even in electronic part, we are not sure who is better. Those equipment on Indian jet must be better than those offered by Russians in hardware. But, remember there always is a gap between export version and self-use version. So, we don't know how much advantage those equipment has comparing to Russians' own version. On software side, it is purely a competition of accumulated experiences. In this part, no one is their match except Americans.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Timestamp : 16:43-17:00 : The Narrator quotes that SU-30SM was in some way a product of Both indian and Russian Co-operation.

My question here is : Are there any Indian Components on the SU-30 SMs or Initial Batches of SU-30 SM which were delivered to Russia? I heard Somewhere that these SU-30 SM had indian Mission Computers installed on them.
Su30SM is based on design of MKI. MKI is basically a Indian design incorporated on base Su-30. So the design change done on Su-30MKI has been implemented on Su-30SM which makes it much more maneuverable platform then the basic Su-30.

Super Flanker

Country flag
Su30SM is based on design of MKI. MKI is basically a Indian design incorporated on base Su-30. So the design change done on Su-30MKI has been implemented on Su-30SM which makes it much more maneuverable platform then the basic Su-30.
The design of SU-30 MKI was derived from SU-27 and also has a mixture/Fusion of Technology from SU-37 and the original SU-30 itself. After that SU-30 MKI was born and later SU-30 SM was derived from it. Also Sukhoi SU-30 MKM was derived from SU-30 MKI too.

Chinmoy

Country flag
The design of SU-30 MKI was derived from SU-27 and also has a mixture/Fusion of Technology from SU-37 and the original SU-30 itself. After that SU-30 MKI was born and later SU-30 SM was derived from it. Also Sukhoi SU-30 MKM was derived from SU-30 MKI too.
Partially correct.

Su-30 is derived from Su-27 which was offered to India. Later on India asked for specific design changes like canards and TVC engine along with avionics. After that MKI was born. The earlier 50 Su-30 delivered to India didn't have canards or TVC engines. Later on based on the performance of MKI the same has been incorporated on Su-30SM and Su-37. Su-37 worked as a TD for Su-35.

Super Flanker

Country flag
Partially correct.

Su-30 is derived from Su-27 which was offered to India. Later on India asked for specific design changes like canards and TVC engine along with avionics. After that MKI was born. The earlier 50 Su-30 delivered to India didn't have canards or TVC engines. Later on based on the performance of MKI the same has been incorporated on Su-30SM and Su-37. Su-37 worked as a TD for Su-35.
You are right but Partially Correct here. Those SU-30 MKI which were delivered to India without any Canards and TVC engines were known as Sukhoi SU-30 MKs. In 1996 ,india had placed an order for Sukhoi SU-30 in 5 Different Batches. The 1st Batch consisted of 8 Sukhoi SU-30 MKs. 2nd Batch consisted of Sukhoi SU-30 MKI which had israeli and French systems integrated in them. After that, whichever Batch of Sukhois came all had Canards in them. So the number of SU-30s which we received without Canards are :

8+10 = 18

Therefore 18 SU-30s didn't have Canards.
---
7be2b061b81091351d8a37d8cbfeef27.jpg

johnj

from su27ub/su 30 - Irkut Corporation.

Super Flanker

Country flag
from su27ub/su 30 - Irkut Corporation.
But SU-37 acted as a Testbed for TVC (Thrust vectoring control) and TVC was used in Sukhoi SU-30 MKI. So in some way, Sukhoi SU-37 played a role in the Development of SU-30 MKI.

johnj

Partially correct.

Irkut sold su30 to india.su30mki derived from su30 with is derived from su27ub. Irkut developed su30mki to meet iaf requirement using tech from su37 etc with french equipment, canards is for balancing weight due to bars radar. Irkut build sukhoi trainer. Chinese su27/30 different.

Articles