Small arms of India

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter
Regarding IOFs 30.06 check this out http://rfi.nic.in/booking/prod/30-06.htm.

Regarding your Nanaji's M1 carbine, get one of the legal heirs to get themselves added as a retainer in the license, check out section 13 of the Arms Rule of 1962 for that as that would help in the future to get the license for it under the family heirloom category.

P.S. Licenses for PB are issues by the MHA. Also i see that you are quite passionate about guns and i would suggest, if you are not already on, to join IFG https://www.indiansforguns.com/
The heirs can only apply for un prohibited arms by simply applying to DM office M1 carbine is now a prohibited bore, that's what they told me.

I am already a member of Indiaforguns, i modified our family's .315 after reviewing it on that forum.

I made a thread of that modification in member club of DFI.

Spindrift

The heirs can only apply for un prohibited arms by simply applying to DM office M1 carbine is now a prohibited bore, that's what they told me.
The DM office or local licensing authority cannot issue a PB license under any category and thats what they told you. As far i know the procedure is that you apply for a PB license under the appropriate category and then the local licensing need to forward that to the MHA.

Now if you really want to keep your Nana-ji's M1 carbine in the family, do an RTI with local licensing authority and the MHA and get the procedure for applying for PB license under family heirloom category.

See point #9 on page #5 of this http://www.india-ava.org/fileadmin/docs/pubs/external-research/Arms_policy_for_individuals__2010.pdf

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
From the same barrel, yes. However, the same bolt might not work in all cases.
So we can develop a gun which can fire all 7.62 rounds with same barrel and different bolt group....am i right?

Ved

So Excalibur mk1A is replacing INSAS gradually is what I understand.

With the new proposal of inducting 7.62 •51 mm is it that this will be incorporated in MCIWS? OR they are talking about a completely new rifle?

Saichand K

Country flag
So Excalibur mk1A is replacing INSAS gradually is what I understand.

With the new proposal of inducting 7.62 •51 mm is it that this will be incorporated in MCIWS? OR they are talking about a completely new rifle?
No.
New GSQR: Our Army wants a rifle that can work in lava, ice storms, under water volcanoes etc; It should shoot lightening and should sound like a thunder.

kr9

Country flag
So we can develop a gun which can fire all 7.62 rounds with same barrel and different bolt group....am i right?
In theory, yes :--
Using a longer / lighter bolt for the 39mm and a shorter / heavier bolt for the 51mm can enable the rounds to be fired from the same chamber; given that the actual bullet retains the same shape and if the cartridge shape / diameters are the same.
The 2 soviet rounds, however, have a slightly tapered cartridge which is not the case with the NATO round, so the same chamber cannot be used unless the OFB manufactures special rounds just for this weapon.

A 7.62x51mm and above will also need a stronger / thicker / heavier barrel and chamber than one used for 7.62x39mm. So you may have the heavier weapon as standard but it will be unnecessary when using the 7.62x39mm rounds.

The same rifling in the barrel will not be optimal as the bullet velocities are different and requires different turns per inch for best performance.

PS:--
Even in the SCAR, ARX and other systems, they have different models for different calibers.

rishivashista13

Country flag
No.
New GSQR: Our Army wants a rifle that can work in lava, ice storms, under water volcanoes etc; It should shoot lightening and should sound like a thunder.
Yes , yes .
But also think that ......
At the end of all this , our army will be having the best and strongest rifle of this planet , which can fire like hell anywhere , anytime , in any condition .

Sent from my Micromax Q380 using Tapatalk

rishivashista13

Country flag
9mm carbine are active almost in every infantry unit, I have used it at range too ..
In movie Lakshya , during operation Vijay Indian army is shown using these 9mm carbines in large numbers .
Have they used it really in OP Vijay ?
Is this justified using a SMG in these type of operations where enemy is not visible and MMG's, LMG's , Snipers , Howitzers are required to push enemy backwards , In Kargil like terrain ?

aditya g

Country flag
In movie Lakshya , during operation Vijay Indian army is shown using these 9mm carbines in large numbers .
Have they used it really in OP Vijay ?
Is this justified using a SMG in these type of operations where enemy is not visible and MMG's, LMG's , Snipers , Howitzers are required to push enemy backwards , In Kargil like terrain ?

It is a movie. 9mm SMG is not used in open field due to range limitations.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
That RFI is old as MMRCA, It was specifically for Special forces and requirement was that the weapon should fire in water and around marine environment ..

hardip

It is a movie. 9mm SMG is not used in open field due to range limitations.

yes..bro..

Indian Movies..

Never Working on reality.. we can see..

Main..Hero.. hold A pistol.. on his hand..
Shoot. the helicopter.(aslo truck nd big moving object) .which is far away...nd just one bullet it blows.. nd hike 100 meter..

this is so funny.. nd foolish ..

Indian movies have to workable on this factor..

People who like to watch Hollywood movies against bollywood... they know indian r very famous..but.. when the meter comes of using A gear.. (example.. a war movie. there r not good..

scenario.. as needs.

commonly.. anybody can not convinced by the seen.. in comparison Hollywood movie. )

Anirbann Datta

Eternal Flame
Country flag
yes..bro..

Indian Movies..

Never Working on reality.. we can see..

Main..Hero.. hold A pistol.. on his hand..
Shoot. the helicopter.(aslo truck nd big moving object) .which is far away...nd just one bullet it blows.. nd hike 100 meter..

this is so funny.. nd foolish ..

Indian movies have to workable on this factor..

People who like to watch Hollywood movies against bollywood... they know indian r very famous..but.. when the meter comes of using A gear.. (example.. a war movie. there r not good..

scenario.. as needs.

commonly.. anybody can not convinced by the seen.. in comparison Hollywood movie. )

Wish Had I the Einstein like IQ rich brain like you, though after some time I finally cracked the encrypted message, please from next time be little less BolllllllyWOOD style filmy narrative.
Thanks.

Ved

That RFI is old as MMRCA, It was specifically for Special forces and requirement was that the weapon should fire in water and around marine environment ..
So will it again be a global tender with JV or our OFB is up to the task. Do we have any other army rifle being used anywhere in the world which is 7.62 *51mm for comparison?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Special forces requirement has changed since then, They are sticking with 5.56mm ..

So will it again be a global tender with JV or our OFB is up to the task. Do we have any other army rifle being used anywhere in the world which is 7.62 *51mm for comparison?

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
I think that as part of "genuine" Make in India, Govt should task DRDO to develop following variants of MCIWS:-

Conventional 7.62x51 rifle
Bull-pub 7.62x51 rifle
Forward ejecting Bullpub 7.62x51 rifle

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
I think some one should develop dual caliber rifle 7.62x39 and 7,62x54...
I have checked 7.62x39mm and 7.62x51mm were different in neck diameter and chamber pressure..so they can't be fired through single barrel....

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles