Small arms and Light Weapons

When picking a gun, what would your primary consideration be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
Re: INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

Guys ID the gun:)

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag

A direct derivation from the TAR-21 Tavor bullpup rifle, adopted in 2003 by the Israel Defence Forces, we are going to introduce to SADJ readers the version designed for the Sayeret (Special Forces) units, a shorter and more modular rifle that, in case of need, can be converted into a SMG. The TAR-21 project in Ramat Hasharon was started in 1995 when the Israeli company name was still IMI (Israel Military Industries)"¦.
Read hhe complete article at;

IWI X95: A Bullpup For IDF Special Forces

Last edited:

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag
Yo, dawg, I heard you like optics So we put some optics on top of your optics so you can look through your optics with other optics. :p

Cpl Carl Hines, Royal Artillery, providing covering fire in Afghanistan. The solider has a standard British Army ELCAN Lightweight Day Sight (LDS) 4x scope mounted at the rear of the rifle's rail, an EOTech holographic sight mounted at the front of the rail and a Shield CQB red dot mounted on top of the ELCAN.

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag
The PLA Also Have An
Underwater Gun

A Chinese TV station has broadcasted footage of Chinese PLA Navy drivers with their clone of Russia's APS Underwater Assault Rifle. The existence of this gun was confirmed only three years ago and until now I have not seen clear above water photos of the gun.

The gun has improved on the original by adding a forward handguard, improved sights (although I am unsure how useful sights are at close range underwater) and a snag free magazine.

The original Russian Tula APS Underwater Assault Rifle

Unlike the new Tula ADS Underwater Rifle, this gun is not useful above water. The bullets, which resemble long needles, are designed to operate in water and have very limited range out of it. On the other hand, many folks argue it is not particularly useful below water either.

The PLA Also Have An Underwater Gun - The Firearm Blog

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag
New Innovative Tactional
Elcan Specter TR Tri FOV
Scope

At AUSA '13 Canadian firm Elcan unveiled their new Specter TR Tri FOV. This scope features three power settings, 1x, 3x and 9x, which are selected using a dial on the side of the scope. Because the scope has three distinct power settings, rather than a range of zoom like traditional scopes, the operator can quickly select the desired power rather than twisting the scope's power ring through its entire range of motion. Another unique feature of this scope is that is has both a traditional reticle and a red dot (reflex) sight. Not having used this scope myself I cannot say how well such a hybrid-reticle works in practice, but it is an intriguing concept.

The scope measures 10.3"³ in length and weights 1.8 lbs.

New Innovative Tactional Elcan Specter TR Tri FOV Scope - The Firearm Blog

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag

Swiss Army Soldier holding his Stgw 90 (SIG 550) equipped with a grenade launcher.

rajsking

Country flag
hi,

1) While we are discussing AR, I would first like to understand difference between different types of bullets.
Nowadays, the trend is to go for bullets with NATO specs. Reason given is that smaller bullet means each soldier can carry more firepower. But I came to know that they were proven to be useless in real-life conflict situation (as in Afghanistan), In Afghanistan, rebels with their Soviet spec bullets and guns could engage the NATO troops from a long range.

So why are India still insisting on buying AR compatible with NATO bullets only. Instead they should go for AR which can fire better bullets (Soviet spec).
NATO spec bullets should be left only for counter insurgency/urban warfare use and it should be a big no for mainstream defense forces.

2) Secondly, it would be nice if we could discuss firing mechanisms also along with AR. I would like to know why Sig is said to combine best of both AK57 and AR15. How is firing mechanism of colt/baretta different from Tevor and from AK-47. IF we can modify new rifles from Baretta/colt into bulpup format or in machine-gun format to create all-in-one AR.

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag
hi,

1) While we are discussing AR, I would first like to understand difference between different types of bullets.
Nowadays, the trend is to go for bullets with NATO specs. Reason given is that smaller bullet means each soldier can carry more firepower. But I came to know that they were proven to be useless in real-life conflict situation (as in Afghanistan), In Afghanistan, rebels with their Soviet spec bullets and guns could engage the NATO troops from a long range.

So why are India still insisting on buying AR compatible with NATO bullets only. Instead they should go for AR which can fire better bullets (Soviet spec).
NATO spec bullets should be left only for counter insurgency/urban warfare use and it should be a big no for mainstream defense forces.

2) Secondly, it would be nice if we could discuss firing mechanisms also along with AR. I would like to know why Sig is said to combine best of both AK57 and AR15. How is firing mechanism of colt/baretta different from Tevor and from AK-47. IF we can modify new rifles from Baretta/colt into bulpup format or in machine-gun format to create all-in-one AR.
First of all i would like to welcome you to DFI ,Secondly please read these following threads thoroughly(you'll find some the answers to your questions here) -

http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/land-forces/52452-5-56mm-cqb-there-something-better.html

http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/land-forces/52447-poodle-killer-myth.html

now just wanted to ask you -

1.Can you please tell us more about some of these -"Soviet spec bullets & guns" that can engage NATO forces from "long ranges" (that you've said) And-

2. What is this "AK 57" that you're talking about ?

Thanks in advance.

SPIEZ

Country flag
hi,

Hi @rasking

Welcome to DFI.

To know more about gun mechanism, I wouls suggest you read this link below. It posts great amount of detail.

Firearms History, Technology & Development: Actions: Gas Operated: Long Stroke Piston

Last edited by a moderator:

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
hi,

Indian army uses AK47((7.62x39) in Close quarter battles and counterr insurgencyy ops where battles happen with in 100 mts.7.62X39 have better power than 5.56x45 nato rounds.But in long range combat 7.62x39 are not effective as they didn't have that much range as 5.56 ammoo has.And Indians are procurring rifles considering the future battles which are going too happen in the plains of punjab or rajasthan where they have to engage enemies at a distance of 200/300 mts so there is no point in buying weapons of short range.Even though 5.56x45 NATO rounds lack power they are very accurate and could targets at 500 mts.
To engage terrorists in J&K,NE and maoists RR and paramilitary are using AKms rather than 5.56 INSAS coz there encounters happen at short range.

There is no AK57,only AK56 ie chinese variant of AK47 called TYPE56.Always in indiian mediia it is called AK56:)

Damian

Also don't forget that there is continous development in ammunition. The M855A1 which is the new 5,56x45mm NATO round developed in USA based on experiences from Afghanistan, have better performance over long range than older M855. Same comes with any other calliber, be it 7,62x51mm or 7,62x39mm.

Also a lot of problems with M855 in Afghanistan, come from a fact, that US Army and other branches of US military, uses M4 and M4A1 which have relatively short barrels, M16A4 with longer barrel have better performance. M855A1 works better with shorter barrel of M4 and M4A1 over longer distance.

Oh and BTW, there is no such thing as AK-47, this is code developed by western movie industry etc. In Soviet nomenclature there was only AK, AKS, AKM and AKMS (and some other subvariants) in 7,62x39mm calliber. Code with number started with AK-74 officially, before that, there was nothing like AK-47.

However AK prototypes, indeed were designated with numbers, for example AK-46, and then AK-47, but official military designation for fully developed rifle was just AK.

Last edited:

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
[video=youtube_share;wdOavM-Px6Y]http://youtu.be/wdOavM-Px6Y[/video]

@Kunal Biswas @ALBY @cobra commando and others

What are your views on the 300BLK (7.62x35) becoming the standard ammo of the future?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I have a slow net so cannot see the vid, though what advantages it provides compare to M43 ?

M43 is heavily criticized coz of its velocity, Which results it in a Heavy and slow bullet ..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles