RFP issued for India navy amphibious vessels (LHD or LPD type)

p2prada

Where did you see 8? :shocked:
The first is a global tender for 4 ships where Mistral, Dokdo etc are participating. 2 of those will be built in a foreign shipyard and 2 in HSL.

The second is a domestic tender for 4 ships that will be designed from scratch in India and built by companies like L&T, Pipavav and ABG are participating.

Hence 8 ships in total.

Neeraj Mathur

Country flag
The first is a global tender for 4 ships where Mistral, Dokdo etc are participating. 2 of those will be built in a foreign shipyard and 2 in HSL.

The second is a domestic tender for 4 ships that will be designed from scratch in India and built by companies like L&T, Pipavav and ABG are participating.

Hence 8 ships in total.
thanx for info
i thought 2 will be made outside india and 2 in india

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag

Hence 8 ships in total.
Not really, the 2011 RFI was sent out with 2+2 format. Then DPP 2013 happened. And then 2013 RFP was sent out with all 4 to be made in India.

p2prada

Not really, the 2011 RFI was sent out with 2+2 format. Then DPP 2013 happened. And then 2013 RFP was sent out with all 4 to be made in India.
So, you mean instead of building two in foreign countries, two will be built by the private companies and two by HSL?

Then I would be wrong. I assumed the two RFPs are independent.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
why isn't the navy going for an indegenous design like it has done it p-15 and p-17 projects? we can save some forex and invest in our own shipyard instead of buying a foreign design and building in india under tot which involves huge cost and time overuns.haven't we learned anything from the scorpene project?

TrueSpirit1

The Nobody
Banned
All 45 naval vessels under construction are being made in India

Highlighting the navy's commitment to indigenous defence production, the navy chief pointed out that all 45 ships and submarines being constructed for the navy are being built in Indian shipyards.

Describing indigenization efforts, Admiral Joshi said that indigenization was 100 per cent in the "float category" of construction (i.e. warship hulls).

In the "move category" (engine, transmission, generators, air conditioning), indigenization was "close to 50 per cent".

However, in the "fight category" (weapons, sensors, radars, sonars) the navy has "a long way to go."

Pointing out that this indigenization has been achieved in 60-70 years, starting from virtually a zero industrial base, the navy chief said "we have much to be proud about."

He said, "We are in dialogue with private industry, DRDO"¦ a lot of money has to be invested in R&D for developing world class systems at competitive prices."

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag
LPDs Lead India's Push To Boost Sealift, Amphibious Capabilities

NEW DELHI — The Indian Navy's plans to add four landing platform docks (LPDs) underscore its long-term goal to boost lift capabilities throughout the vast Indian Ocean territory.

These vessels, at a cost of more than $3 billion, will join the US-built Jalashwa, acquired in 2008. In addition to the Jalashwa, the Navy has five landing ship tanks.

"The Indian Navy is in dire need of modernizing its amphibious capacity and enhancing its sealift capability," said Probal Ghosh, senior fellow at the Observer Research Foundation, based here. "Given its large island assets and the fact that India is emerging as a security provider and guarantor in the Indian Ocean region [which has many island nations], the need of amphibious assets cannot be understated. The addition of four LPDs is hence an instrument in the fulfillment of India's growing strategic role."

Defense analyst Anil Jai Singh said the Navy's lift requirement would be about a brigade (3,000 troops), which should be adequately addressed with the induction of four LPDs. But a follow-on program would need to be initiated soon after to maintain that capability.

In early December, the Navy floated a $2.6 billion domestic tender for construction of four LPDs with bids sent only to domestic shipyards Larsen & Toubro, Pipavav Defence, Offshore Engineering and ABG Shipyard. The proposal is to build two LPDs at the selected private-sector yard and another two at the state-owned Hindustan Shipyard.

It will mark the first time India has constructed a more than 20,000-ton LPD.

For their bids to build the ships in India, Larsen & Toubro has tied up with Spain's Navantia, while Pipavav Defence and Offshore Engineering has teamed with France's DCNS, and ABG Shipyard with US company Alion.

Navy officials say in private that the service's strategic lift capability is inadequate and must be improved to compete with that of China.

"As the geostrategic drivers in the Indian Ocean region gather intensity, Indian naval assets, especially in ... littoral warfare, will need to be enhanced considerably," Ghosh said. "We not only need large LPDs but new landing craft utility squadrons and other smaller crafts, landing ship tanks and hovercrafts or hydrofoils to have a balanced littoral inventory. Most importantly, we need highly trained marine troops ... to carry out littoral operations."

A Defence Ministry official said bluewater capabilities remain essential to prevent enemy vessels, including submarines, from reaching Indian coastal regions. This includes thwarting enemy offensive submarine activities and associated sea-based logistic support systems.

"Presently, we have a credible sea-denial capability, but the delay in the modernization of the submarine arm could lead to a critical deficit in the near future, which would become increasingly difficult to bridge if not addressed urgently," Singh said.

LPDs Lead India's Push To Boost Sealift, Amphibious Capabilities | Defense News | defensenews.com

sivachandan

I think we should go with Juan Carlos I LHD bxuz it can be used as an aircraft carrier to :thumb:

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
I think we should go with Juan Carlos I LHD bxuz it can be used as an aircraft carrier to :thumb:
India's ABG shipyard has tied up with Alion Science and Technology Corporation which will design a new LPD according to Indian Navy's requirements.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
To use Juan Carlos I as mini aircraft carrier, we would need STOVL aircraft which we do not have. Or install arrester wires and angled deck, which would make it a aircraft carrier, and would no longer be a LHD.

Illusive

Country flag
IN needs LHD's, the carrier roles would be fulfilled by those we are building, it would need extensive modification which would then kill the very idea of an LHD, it would be stupid and expensive to do so. This is for our amphibious assault capabilities.

Punya Pratap

Country flag
Juan Carlos is STOVL capable and IN could then go for F 35 B's to compliment it ;)

Punya Pratap

Country flag
Why would IN go for that good-for-nothing glorified bathtub?
Coz Navantia is one of the contenders and Juan Carlos is its brain child besides

For the bids to build the ships in India, Larsen & Toubro has tied up with Spain's Navantia, while Pipavav Defence and Offshore Engineering has teamed with France's DCNS, and ABG Shipyard with US company Alion.

While we are discussing all the options I was just pitching my two penny's worth of opinion.... We could go for Juan Carlos and have 10/12 F 35 B STOVL to complement it..... IN still fancies F 35 B's thats why!

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
Coz Navantia is one of the contenders and Juan Carlos is its brain child besides

For the bids to build the ships in India, Larsen & Toubro has tied up with Spain's Navantia, while Pipavav Defence and Offshore Engineering has teamed with France's DCNS, and ABG Shipyard with US company Alion.

While we are discussing all the options I was just pitching my two penny's worth of opinion.... We could go for Juan Carlos and have 10/12 F 35 B STOVL to complement it..... IN still fancies F 35 B's thats why!
And who said that IN fancies F35B? And who says even if IN fancies, MoDi is going to approve it?

IN does not immediately need to go round bashing people's head in other countries, so arming LHD's with VTOL fighters would wasteful.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Was talking about the good-for-nothing glorified bathtubs called F-35B. Some in IN might fancy even the Empire's Death Star, doesn't mean they would get it.

Punya Pratap

Country flag
Arnabmit & Jackprince LM has already given a presentation to IN - ON REQUEST!

F 35 B is the only 5th Gen STOVL capable aircraft that can counter PLAAN in IOR and hence the interest.

As I had earlier mentioned if Juan Carlos is selected than F 35 B's are automatic choice for fixed wing ! Second thing I mentioned.... we are DISCUSSING SO EXPLORING ALL OPTIONS ARE ALLOWED!

You cannot counter J 15's with Mig 29's (STOBAR) and more importantly what options do you have for a capable STOVL except for Harriers (Dead) and F 35B's?

Bheeshma

The J-15 is a joke and inferior to the Su-33. RuN is ditching Su-33 in favor of Mig-29K. So why can't you face a J-15 with a far superior Mig-29K? F-35 will never serve in IN. The LHD will not carry any SVTOL a/c's. They are meant to carry Heli's. Maybe S-70 or NH-90.

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
The J-15 is a joke and inferior to the Su-33. RuN is ditching Su-33 in favor of Mig-29K. So why can't you face a J-15 with a far superior Mig-29K? F-35 will never serve in IN. The LHD will not carry any SVTOL a/c's. They are meant to carry Heli's. Maybe S-70 or NH-90.
I sure IN one day Operates F 35 From it's carriers / LHD

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles