- Aug 12, 2016
AARGM-ER also known as AGM-88G is an upgraded version of the traditional AARGM AGM-88E missile, the changes in this version includes bigger rocket motor and completely redesign of the outer aerodynamic with the goal to double the missile range and velocity as well as reduce the radar cross section of the missile
Goals of the simulation:
The aim of our simulation is to evaluate the mean and median radar cross section as well as the radar scattering pattern of the AARGM-ER missile at 4 frequencies:
- VHF – 150 MHz
- L Band – 1150 MHz
- S Band – 3150 MHz
- X Band – 8150 MHz
Because not every information about AARGM-ER is available in the public sectors, we will follow several rules in the simulation.
- The missile fuselage will be treated as perfect electrical conductor (meaning they will reflect radio wave like metal)
- Missile’s antenna will be treated as perfect electrical conductor
- Missile radome will be treated as radar transparent material (meaning radiowave will easily pass through without interaction
- No RAM will be applied on the missile surface
- Modeling of the missile will be done using blender software then later converted to STL format for simulation
- The 3D Electromagnetic Field Simulator will be done using Ansys HFSS. Commonly radar scattering simulations are often done using POFACETS. However, while POFACETS require minimum computer resource requirements and provides convenient run–times, it only rely on Physical Optics method to predict the RCS of target. As a result, POFACETS cannot take into account phenomena such as creeping waves. HFSS allows edge scattering, creeping wave, cavity return to be simulated accurately, thus it will be our chosen software.
The aim of this post is to show that RCS of missiles is not a fixed value but rather a variable that change depend on aspect and frequency.
Due to the limit on the number of image that can be added in a post. I only take a few. For additional images you can come to the source here:
Introduction: AARGM-ER also known as AGM-88G is an upgraded version of the traditional AARGM AGM-88E missile, the changes in this version includes bigger rocket motor and completely redesign of the…