Pursuit of immortality in East Asian Cultures - Buddhism vs Taoism ?

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
I've seen this trope in a lot of Japanese media - Some powerful figure wants immortality but to achieve it they destroy the natural order. Some examples: Sekiro (game), Dororo (anime), Princess Mononoke (movie)

I initially thought of this as an ideological conflict between Shinto and Buddhism. Shinto is inspired from Taoism. In Taoism pursuit of physical immortality is a goal while Buddhism preaches impermanence (nothing lasts forever). Now I'm thinking that its probably some ancient Chinese story which is retold in numerous formats.

@rockdog @nimo_cn @SexyChineseLady @J20! thoughts ?

PS: This thread is in members corner, so please avoid the usual political stuff

Last edited:

nimo_cn

Country flag
I am not sure if I can contribute much.

Some Chinese emperors practiced Taoism to pursue immortality, but in most cases they ironically died at young ages for taking medicines formulated by the priests, which contained deadly ingredients such as mercury. Besides physical immortality, the emperors practiced Taoism and took the poisonous medicines to improve sexual performance.

Well, they were boys.

Kumata

Country flag
Immortality is a myth in "Kalyug". I failed to see any relevance for this thread itself..

Skyh3ck

What happened to UFO thread ... Sometime this type of offtopic thread are good to read

Skyh3ck

I have heard many stories where dead people just don't leave earth or their lived ones.. I mean real goosebumps and scary thing..

They just roam around their house and their loved ones for many days.. so yes Aatma is immortal ... But don't confuse moksha with death.. moksh and death is different

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles