PLA Navy may establish fourth fleet for Indian Ocean

amoy

US and Russia are status-quo powers, they don't bother us.

Chinese subs ducking at Sri Lankan ports go against ouyr national interest, and our government must convince Sri Lanka that it is completely unacceptable.
status quo is in constant change everywhere. india has already made its presence in SCS long since withoil drilling, trainings for VN submarine force, sales of Brahmos and so on. also there're gossips that India is to secure berthing rights at Cam Ranh Bay or Subic.

overlapping spheres of influence is inevitable. everybody will get used to the new normal.

Otm Shank2

I don't get why Indians begrudge the Chinese while they readily accept western powers doing the same thing.

karn

Country flag
I don't get why Indians begrudge the Chinese while they readily accept western powers doing the same thing.
India begrudged the presence of the US a lot . Especially their base at Diego Garcia . But with normalising relations that opposition went down .
Russia is our friend we don't care where their vessels go in international waters.

sorcerer

Country flag
China's Ghost Fleet in the Indian Oceasizen

Today, Defense News ran a very interesting piece attacking the often repeated assertion that China will soon be adding one additional fleet to the three existing ones (the North Sea, East Sea, and South Sea Fleets) it currently operates. This new fleet will allegedly be headquartered in Sanya on Hainan Island and project Chinese naval power into the Indian Ocean. One expert noted in 2014: "There have been reports that China is already creating a fourth fleet that would eventually consist of two Carrier Battle Groups based at Hainan Island. This fleet might be placed directly under the Central Military Commission, the highest military decision-making body, making it a powerful instrument of geopolitical signaling."

Yet, Defense News quotes a Ching Chang, former Taiwan naval officer who now is a fellow at Taiwan's ROC Society for Strategic Studies, in saying that such reports are "overstated speculation" and not credible. "Without any diplomatically credible, militarily reliable, and logistically functional forward base in the Indian Ocean area, it is impossible for the [Chinese Navy] to establish any long-lasting military organization there, though certain ad hoc arrangements such as dispatch forces, task forces and exercise maneuvering units may appear in the Indian Ocean from time to time," Chang emphasizes.

He also pointed out that the alleged home port of the new fourth fleet, Hainan Island, is part of the Guangzhou Military Region, which already has the South Sea Fleet as its naval arm, making an additional fleet redundant. "Neither the actual practices of the present military organization may have any space to accommodate such an organization of the fourth fleet. Please remember that all three existing fleets are named by the territorial seas. This is a basic rule hardly to be changed in near term," Chang says. He concludes: "[M]any commentaries [that] appeared in the overseas Chinese electronic medias might only reflect some aspirations of the military fans in China or overseas Chinese community."

The Defense News article also quotes long-time The Diplomat contributor, James Holmes. Holmes points out that:

"From a geographical standpoint, establishing such a fleet would concentrate even more attention on the chokepoints where shipping accesses the Indian Ocean from East Asia. If Beijing bases a fleet on Hainan and doesn't forward deploy it, the fleet's ships could be cut off and stranded in South Asia by some access-denier operating in the vicinity of the Strait of Malacca or the Lombok or Sunda straits. The crucial issue is the number of naval platforms. Once China produces these — after the three fleets are fully equipped — we could possibly see the fourth fleet."

Holmes furthermore notes that China's PLAN could just create the shell organization of a new fleet, which "would resemble the U.S. Navy's 6th Fleet, which has only a command ship and shore facilities. Ships 'chop' to 6th Fleet temporarily, meaning they put themselves under tactical control of the fleet commander.
China may be thinking about a similar arrangement for now, and perhaps permanently. Navies exist to give commanders and political leaders options. This may fall into that category."

China's Ghost Fleet in the Indian Ocean | The Diplomat

Anikastha

DEEP STATE
Country flag
Indian Navy will rise and is more than a match for Chinese Navy in IOR.

Chinese economy is slowing, India's economy is projected to grow at faster pace in the next decade.
Sir , are you aware that china is named as world largest economy recently?? How can they get down so easily? I am not protesting for your post but i am confused .

Regards.

Srinivas_K

Country flag
Sir , are you aware that china is named as world largest economy recently?? How can they get down so easily? I am not protesting for your post but i am confused .

Regards.
Chinese has SCS, east sea, pacific ocean . They have announced a fleet for IOR. It is this fleet IN is going to face.

IN is also improving its capabilities and will match Chinese navy.

Regarding economy Chinese have reached their full potential and now they are entering into stagnant phase. India has not even hit the second gear now.

Last edited:

mseven

Chinese has SCS, east sea, pacific ocean . They have announced a fleet for IOR. It is this fleet IN is going to face.

IN is also improving its capabilities and will match Chinese navy.

Regarding economy Chinese have reached their full potential and now they are entering into stagnant phase. India has not even hit the second gear now.
Off topic:
That is so true. When the Indian masses are educated and employed and all the social evils and red tape in the government is done with, India will be a force to reckon with for any country in the world.:namaste:
It has been well researched that India falls behind in HDI and all metrics due to malnutrition and there is stunted growth in some due to open defecation. We must work on these problems and our average IQ will rise well above 100 from the 82 it is currently at (a documented fact). The urban ( non-slumdwellers) and Indian American populations have an extraordinary IQ.
Link : The intelligence of Indian Americans | Pumpkin Person
:sad:

Srinivas_K

Country flag
Off topic:
That is so true. When the Indian masses are educated and employed and all the social evils and red tape in the government is done with, India will be a force to reckon with for any country in the world.:namaste:
It has been well researched that India falls behind in HDI and all metrics due to malnutrition and there is stunted growth in some due to open defecation. We must work on these problems and our average IQ will rise well above 100 from the 82 it is currently at (a documented fact). The urban ( non-slumdwellers) and Indian American populations have an extraordinary IQ.
Why not improve your self before talking about country India and how it needs to be improved to become a world power?

Last edited:

mseven

Why not improve your self before talking about country India and how it needs to be improved to become a world power?
I meant no offense and myself am proud of my Indian heritage. Why do you feel insulted by my post? I have identified the problems and mentioned potential solutions. Where do you feel I must improve and why did you feel the need to personally attack me and question my love for my country?

Last edited:

Srinivas_K

Country flag
I meant no offense and myself am proud of my Indian heritage. Why do you feel insulted by my post? I have identified the problems and mentioned potential solutions. Where do you feel I must improve and why did you feel the need to personally attack me and question my love for my country?
You said Indians are less IQ and less citizens than USA, reason I said first you start with yourself. I meant no offence.

You read it that way.

mseven

I said the average Indian IQ is at 82. It is a fact we must face and work to change. Will you please check the link I posted? There is nothing wrong in accepting shortcomings on the nutrition aspect of our country and working on them which YOU don't seem to be doing.

Edit: Did you bother to read my post properly? It clearly says Indian Americans have "extraordinary IQ" which means "MUCH BETTER than the average American. It is in fact greater than the Ashkenasi Jew's avg IQ which was considered very high. It is partly due to their nutrition. The average IQ in Indian cities too is high because of the same fact. We must work on the nutrition of our poor.

Last edited:

sorcerer

Country flag
Off topic:
Is it because of malnutrition that kids from slums are making their way into IIT and IIMS?

Nice that you read stuffs off the internet..but dont just swallow it whole. The malnutrition...the lack of toilets... as if everything is so damn pur----t elsewhere.
The average IQ in India had done wonders including building the first thorium reactors..

Nutrition matters ..but its never the substitute for Indian persistance and guts.

Do you also know that the best IQs in the world does odd laymen jobs than manning space stations? its also a documented fact.
YOu would see a lot of harvard passouts going bust in life after a career.
So according to your logic... nutrition would save their ass from getting bust cuz they have sperior IQ..
C.mon..

Dont propogate something you cant handle!

mseven

Is it because of malnutrition that kids from slums are making their way into IIT and IIMS?

Nice that you read stuffs off the internet..but dont just swallow it whole. The malnutrition...the lack of toilets... as if everything is so damn pur----t elsewhere.
The average IQ in India had done wonders including building the first thorium reactors..

Nutrition matters ..but its never the substitute for Indian persistance and guts.

Do you also know that the best IQs in the world does odd laymen jobs than manning space stations? its also a documented fact.
YOu would see a lot of harvard passouts going bust in life after a career.
So according to your logic... nutrition would save their ass from getting bust cuz they have sperior IQ..
C.mon..

Dont propogate something you cant handle!
I never propagated anything. I said cities have high IQ. The villages don't.

sorcerer

Country flag
I never propagated anything. I said cities have high IQ. The villages don't.
Heard about Rag to Riches stories?
Well a few famous ones are from INdia too..

Cities have IQ is a generalization. a fact that drinking complan makes you taller stronger and whatever.

Most innovations come from villages my friend. just check out the stories splattered all over the interenet, where common men and women have come up with innovative ideas.

mseven

Heard about Rag to Riches stories?
Well a few famous ones are from INdia too..

Cities have IQ is a generalization. a fact that drinking complan makes you taller stronger and whatever.

Most innovations come from villages my friend. just check out the stories splattered all over the interenet, where common men and women have come up with innovative ideas.
I meant that if a proper environment is given, our countrymen are very capable and this environment is mostly found in cities. Of course there are people who will be exceptions, but if everyone is given an opportunity, it will be better for our country..

no smoking

Country flag
US and Russia are status-quo powers, they don't bother us.
No, they bother you quite a lot. Neither of them accepts the idea of "India's Ocean" and neither of them give a damn what India thinks of their activities within international water of IOR.
The only difference is that they are so powerful that there is nothing India can do about it while China is a new player that India still thinks she gets a chance to keep Chinese out.

Chinese subs ducking at Sri Lankan ports go against ouyr national interest, and our government must convince Sri Lanka that it is completely unacceptable.
Well, that is not enough. You have to do more to prove that Sri Lanka's decision will cost them more than what Chinese offered.

rockey 71

China needs to hold the String of Pearls.The 4th PLAN Fleet is necessary for that.

no smoking

Country flag
China needs to hold the String of Pearls.The 4th PLAN Fleet is necessary for that.
No, String of pearls is a civilian transportation network which is built based on financial, economic and political cause. Such a network can not be broken by military force, so you don't need a military force to protect it.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles