PC Hardware, Desktops, Laptops and building a Gaming Rig

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Ok..but is it future PC/laptop development going towards mostly keeping games on mind ?
The more powerful the processors get with decreasing TDP, the more laptops will be launched keeping gaming in mind, few high performance laptops have already been launched. Looks like AMD with decreasing die size and TDP will revolutionize this field within next 2 years.

Holy Triad

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
The more powerful the processors get with decreasing TDP, the more laptops will be launched keeping gaming in mind, few high performance laptops have already been launched. Looks like AMD with decreasing die size and TDP will revolutionize this field within next 2 years.

What Do you think of arm64 processors ?
will it take over PC market?
(I'm not talking about immediate future,like 5years down the line)

A chauhan

Country flag
What Do you think of arm64 processors ?
will it take over PC market?
(I'm not talking about immediate future,like 5years down the line)
Yeah they seem like the future, but PC processors are also catching very fast (in size). In all possibility we may see a good fight between them after 5 to 8 years, but not now. Arm64 is not that powerful as of now.

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
there is no gaming laptop,

PC's are still the best bet not just for gaming but also jobs that require serious juice.

PC, Laptop, notepad and smartphone will have their own niches going ahead.
In a sense yes custom built PC rigs are far better than the gaming laptops put up on display in malls.

However many lappys today can give PCs a run for their money. My own lappy a Lenovo legion i7 with 4 gig 1050 ti can run nearly all modern games on a mid to low setting. I even played RDR 2 on it(mid setting) and faced no lag issues. The thing is if I have to go to US I cannot bring my monster PC with me. A lappy is far more convenient for students like me who have to shift cities.

A chauhan

Country flag
In a sense yes custom built PC rigs are far better than the gaming laptops put up on display in malls.

However many lappys today can give PCs a run for their money. My own lappy a Lenovo legion i7 with 4 gig 1050 ti can run nearly all modern games on a mid to low setting. I even played RDR 2 on it(mid setting) and faced no lag issues. The thing is if I have to go to US I cannot bring my monster PC with me. A lappy is far more convenient for students like me who have to shift cities.
Yeah, once laptops start to get cheaper and on par with desktops many gamers will shift to laptops, currently the price difference is almost at approx 50%, e.g. a PC and a Laptop with similar config will come at 50,000₹ and 75,000₹ respectively.

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
It's actually while playing a game my laptop all the sudden start lagging heavily, even I can't writing a word document properly .

it's not connect to internet for weeks so don't expect sudden virus issues... though I have yet to visit any shop but ppl suggesting that probably my device is in its end cycle.. don't know what to do
Actually most lappys suffer from heating issues and are not compatible for heavy gaming. I would say that unless your lappy is built for gaming and has a proper functioning cooling system avoid heavy duty gaming there. Even my so called gaming lappy turns into a cauldron of fire after 4-5 hours of gaming.

If you are not moving around and want to experience high quality gaming make a dedicated gaming rig. If price is not a factor go for a 4gb 20×× Nvidia card and a decent i7 cpu with 16 gig of ram. You will feel the difference between PC and Lappy gaming but will not have the luxury of moving around with the rig.

cannonfodder

Country flag
Need some help with this.

PSUs which are 650-700 watts and cost 4.8K and 5K respectively, brands are Antec VP series and Gigabyte. As per the PSU Tier list, these are rated D, while the Gigabyte one is not listed.

Is it better to buy a Corsair CX550 because of this model's reputation?

For my friend's config who is very tight on the leftover budget meant to purchase a PSU.

(Why are amazon links getting parsed as media?)

Config:
Ryzen 3700X
B550 board
32GB DDR4 3200MHz (8GBx4 slots)
Geforce RTX 2060 Super
1TB x 2 M.2 SSD
4TB x 2 HDD
DVD write drive (lol)
Gigabyte RGB case with 5 fans
CM Hyper Evo 212 cooler
5 x 120 mm fans totally in the cabinet.

RGB K/B and mouse. Might add a Blu-ray writer in future for his video editing needs.

I stand with the CX550, somehow I don't trust Antec and Gigabyte specifically with this series.
I checked on PC Part picker similar config and its comes down to wattage requirement for 350W. Also if your friend is interested in upgrading later RTX 30 seriesare power hungry. So can go with 600W

Shredder

Country flag
I checked on PC Part picker similar config and its comes down to wattage requirement for 350W. Also if your friend is interested in upgrading later RTX 30 seriesare power hungry. So can go with 600W
He got the CX550 due to budget constraints. I guess it should be adequate enough.

asingh10_

Country flag
For retro gaming, has anyone considered retropie on raspberry pi ?

Some of these late 90s/early 2000s games work on this via dreamcast emulator and look quite good. Some have even managed to get PS2 games working.

Last edited:

Tuco

Country flag

cannonfodder

Country flag

captscooby81

Country flag
Hey all Tech gurus , My nephew who is in class 7th wanted a desktop All in one type , Please give me your valuable suggestions . I look at iMac 21inch screen and HP All in one both looks nice but my only worries are will he be able to upgrade in future if he wants to do some changes ?

All any idea to build custom desktop which is good for gaming and also some 3d architecture type stuff

he has interest in 3D modelling so wanted to build his own interstellar type stuff 😁

bencho at 7th class i was busy watch tom and jerry and ducktales happily

Tuco

Country flag
Hey all Tech gurus , My nephew who is in class 7th wanted a desktop All in one type , Please give me your valuable suggestions . I look at iMac 21inch screen and HP All in one both looks nice but my only worries are will he be able to upgrade in future if he wants to do some changes ?

All any idea to build custom desktop which is good for gaming and also some 3d architecture type stuff

he has interest in 3D modelling so wanted to build his own interstellar type stuff 😁

bencho at 7th class i was busy watch tom and jerry and ducktales happily
You want to gift ur nephew a gaming pc, behen se gaali kaani he kya? 🤣. How much are you planning to spend?

captscooby81

Country flag
I don't want to he asked for PS4 last birthday, this birthday he asked for PC , So thought let me get him Desktop where he can play game and do some studies also

Max 60K budget

You want to gift ur nephew a gaming pc, behen se gaali kaani he kya? 🤣. How much are you planning to spend?

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
I don't want to he asked for PS4 last birthday, this birthday he asked for PC , So thought let me get him Desktop where he can play game and do some studies also

Max 60K budget
iMac is out of the budget nigga go for HP they werer running some schemes 15 days ago dont knew the schemes are now but opt for a offline stores.

Illusive

Country flag
Whatever you say PC or laptop, the fact that I have to pay more for these electronics than those americans and also the fact that they have a whole lot of choices too makes jealous.

Laptops are getting better every year, I myself have switched from PC to laptop with a monitor setup of course. My days of going to lamington road and buying PC parts are gone. If i ever play any games it would be cities skylines or sometimes Project Cars.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles