Pakistan's SC: Arrest PM Raja Pervez Ashraf for corruption

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
Signal from Govt to detect airspace breach? Looks like your Govt has sold many important sovereign rights to US.

And Govt did not want to detect the breach but like to strongly condemn the act before asking US to vacate bases? Thats contradiction.

Imran Khan is puppet promoted by Army, same is with Quadri. And I doubt Pak Army is Pro-India. I am not Vajpayee or MMS to believe that.
our govt has already sold the whole pakistan to usa
everything is sold for the sake of money which land in there pocket instead of being used somewhere else

IMRAN KHAN promoted by army?..really?this is something i hear from the uneducated people of my home town

fact is he would be the first PM in the history of pakistan to keep army 100% under govt

be it the audit of defence budget,reducing defence budget.or related

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
[video=youtube_share;3AFD8s1tf-Y]http://youtu.be/3AFD8s1tf-Y[/video]

SPIEZ

Country flag
Bad news for India?
Indo-Pak war to unite Pakistan?

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
our govt has already sold the whole pakistan to usa
everything is sold for the sake of money which land in there pocket instead of being used somewhere else

IMRAN KHAN promoted by army?..really?this is something i hear from the uneducated people of my home town

fact is he would be the first PM in the history of pakistan to keep army 100% under govt

be it the audit of defence budget,reducing defence budget.or related
Let's wait for the inevitable then & confirm the eventuality. I hope he lives a longer life & not get shot for playing out of mandated role given by army.

Sent via Tapatalk from a galaxy far far away

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
[video=youtube_share;jczUPsV81NY]http://youtu.be/jczUPsV81NY[/video]

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
Imran khan may step up into the protest

demand zardari to resign as soon as possible or will join the protest with tsaunami

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
Who is this Qadri guy, just saw and heard about him today and he is already most talk about guy.
The perfect storm, when you make mountains of mole hills!

Let me reflect on the politics behind, why Tahir ul Qadri has emerged from the shadows all of a sudden.

Tahir ul Qadri happens to be a part of a ploy being enacted to cause instability in the ongoing democratization process of Pakistan at the behest of the establishment in Pakistan. There is a background to why he has been brought to the scene, and he is a result of a fall-out of sorts that seem to have happened between Imran Khan and the PA. Let me give a little background.

If we go back a couple of years, Imran Khan, who was to at one point in time find favor with the Musharraf regime but later to have a fallout but then was to again find favor with the PA after the exit of Musharraf. A love-hate relationship between the PA and IK.

After Nawaz Sharif's complete fallout with the PA during the days of Kargil war (the aftermath, initially NS was all in favor of the war) and the coup that followed, NS was not the person to push their agenda anymore. A new face had to be brought to the fore, and that is where IK was to figure in.

General Pasha was to take personal interest to prop up IK, in fact a complete media campaign was to crafted around IK, the very media which used to shun IK as a loose cannon and a drama queen overnight was to start giving him limelight, and he was to be flashed all over the media continuously. He started doing, all soothing to hear, rhetoric, which had a mass appeal in Pakistan, and then the Lahore jalsa was to happen which attracted people in a massive number and was a spontaneous response by the crowd.

Looking at this spontaneous response, the PTI, as a real political threat to the status quo was to take shape when the political heavy weights and a large number of people who work as front for the PA in the political sphere were made to join PTI, though there are also the likes of Javed Hashmi's who have kept their distance from the PA. With these new faces, big amount of money was also to make way into the PTI which till then was difficult to find and resultant, the grass root workers were to be enrolled in massive numbers.

All well and good till now, but IK made 3 blunders:

He became too independent:
PA hates independent thinkers, and this is precisely what IK has attempted to become. There are a lot of times when he just doesn't listen to what gets conveyed to him, nor does he necessarily consult his party members and out of the blue he makes announcements, so the purpose with which his team was built around, at least for now seems to be failing.

Accountability of the PA:
Something the PA will never allow to happen, and something they literally hate when a "bloody civilian" seeks to have their accountability. This is a red line that IK has crossed, at least rhetorically. People in favor of democratization support the idea that the PA be made accountable, but within the powers that be, namely the establishment, there is a lot of resistance.

Soft talk on the TTP and tough talk on the USA.
IK here is doing just the opposite to what the PA wants to see happen. The PA generals want their pay cheques from the US to keep coming also the military aid they get, and TTP, which wants to establish the Afghan Taliban style sharia in Pakistan, be eliminated. On the contrary, IK wants to keep distance from the US with limited dependencies and he believes TTP are a group of people with whom issues can be reasoned out.

Why is IK able to walk in the different direction to what he is being asked to take? By nature he is an independent thinker, most importantly, he has the urban dwellers' support, also not to forget, he has the judiciary, and the CJP who all support him. IK does realize that if he doesn't tame the PA, he will end up like a lame PM just as Benazir was, and Nawaz is perceived to be.

IK, for the PA, is riding the high horse, and needs to be grounded. So how do you ground a self created monster? Either defame him, but with the mass support IK has, that will be shunned as mere propaganda, else bring in someone who also starts doing the "right talk", has the credibility to pull it off, cuts across the same support base that IK has, and that is precisely what is being attempted through Tahir ul Qadri.

TuQ is not a replacement for IK, mind you. When TuQ cuts across the same support base which supports IK, then fissures are bound to happen, and the vote bank gets divided. IK realizes his very well, the reason why he was not to join TuQ's long march but only support the ideals put forth and so that TuQ doesn't completely walk away with all his hardwork of many years, so IK now has threatened another long march.

May I add here, the recent timing of IK's visit to Quetta, to protest the killings of the Hazara community was very crucial. It came a day before TuQ was to start the protest, but media's complete attention to TuQ meant, IK has definitely lost the sheen, so the long march idea now by IK.

Now, imagine a scenario where IK doesn't get the majority and doesn't get to be the PM? Or even if by chance IK gets to form the government, but he gets too independent for the liking of some, then make sure he ends up as a failure and comes across as a hot balloon no better than the Benazir's and the Nawaz's. Pakistanis will then feel democracy is no more than a curse for them, and nothing was better than a military rule.

That is what the ploy is, and that is where the PA intends to bring Pakistanis to, where they will be begging for a change, and a change where the PA would be clearly in the forefront either through a coup (which I doubt) or by way of a extended tenure of a technocrat government (which is where it seems Pakistan is headed to).

The game is on, as they say. Let us see how this all unfolds and who gets to wins this round, but Pakistan is bound to go through a lot of instability this year for sure.

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Country flag
ritesh, excellent post. Sums things up really well.

Most weak governments can be put into a tailspin especially toward the end of their reign. Also Pakistani politics are still in that immature phase where icons are indispensable. It's apparent now that an ideal icon has to have not just popular appeal but also religious appeal, which is something neither one of the Bhutto's or Musharraf possessed... and clearly things did not work out for them.

I don't know how things will pan out for IK. As you have shown there are many ingrained complexities in his potential political career (as head of state). There is of course the really, really faint chance that he'll be the ultimate leader who will bring everything back into order. But the odds are certainly against him. It's one thing to win a cricket world cup with a group of 11 people one of whom happens to be Wasim Akram, but trying to run one of the world's most dysfunctional state is quite a different matter. Even celebrities who come under the most favorable circumstances (Zulfakir Bhutto) have a very difficult task ahead because over time the lofty ideals either fall flat or blow up in their face. If IK has any leeway to make comments about shooting drones down etc. its only because the US's interest in Pakistan has waned. I highly doubt he's delusional enough to act upon his threats because that would leave children's paper planes as the only remaining flight worthy crafts in the entire country. One thing's for sure though, no matter how "loved" a celebrity politician is, if you piss off the wrong people there's a very good chance of ending up in prison with a noose around your neck, or getting shot, or blown up (or in the case of BB, shot and blown up).

I don't know who this Qadri chap is or the exact nature of his agenda. He clearly seems to be working the religious angle here; however what I can say is that anyone who makes a short term deal with him to get into power is automatically entering a Faustian bargain, and in the long run those end up badly.

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
strange happened today

IK+nawaz+PPP and the rest of parties are on one side and qadiri alone on different side

govt may not fall and every party demand elections on time(late march)

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
@Energon

IK understand the common problem of Pakistan

He very well know that stopping drone and WOT itself will solve 99% of pakistani problem

he very well know the war we started for USA against our own people is a never ending war and should immediately be stopped

he know that on one hand USA want us to start operation North waziristan to even escalate the problems in pakistan to a non returning point while on the other hand they are leaving a even more chaos afghanistan than pre american invasion and is busy with them for dialogue

he very well know that the 1-2billions aid we take from usa for killing our own interest has landed us into the present situation of country

i can assure you that he's already a winner..pak army itself want to not escalate more operation and hence will support him..instead of what you people think.

being a pakistani and my personal experience and interaction with people around atleast in kpk he has not a single competitor.he's a clear winner

about stopping drone he has already confirmed it no matte america nukes or invade or whatever we will shoot down the drone at any cost

Last edited by a moderator:

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Country flag
@Energon

He very well know that stopping drone and WOT itself will solve 99% of pakistani problem

he very well know the war we started for USA against our own people is a never ending war and should immediately be stopped

he know that on one hand USA want us to start operation North waziristan to even escalate the problems in pakistan to a non returning point while on the other hand they are leaving a even more chaos afghanistan than pre american invasion and is busy with them for dialogue
I know this is what IK says and what most people in Pakistan would like to think, but I hope for his sake this is not what he truly believes. If this really is IK's philosophy then he's part of Pakistan's problem, not the solution. What would truly benefit Pakistan is a leader that understands that the American intervention in Afganistan and drone bombings (which I myself heavily oppose), constant tension on the eastern border and the internal anarchy is the result of the core problem and not its cause. He can try and pass off the blame on to various extraneous factors and claim that eliminating them will fix everything, but I assure you, this will not change Pakistan's trajectory. Making the United States magically disappear will not help return Pakistan to it's former state of stability, because that was never the case to begin with. I'm not trying to justify the actions of the United States by any means, a lot of what we have done/doing is wrong and we have to stop doing it. However the fundamental flaws in Pakistan's society run very, very deep and merely manifest in various ways when faced with external stimulation. At the end of the day, until Pakistan remains the source of trouble for other more powerful countries they will come knocking; and the solution isn't to wait the siege out by hoping that the enemy goes broke, because not everyone's the Soviet Union and most of all because Pakistan is way more broke than any potential adversary.

I don't want to get into the nitty gritty of the larger issues surrounding this topic because I have addressed it in many other places. All I am saying however is that Pakistan has a lot of soul searching to do and some serious internal fundamental changes to make, until this happens things are going to stay really bad, and even a guy like Imran Khan cannot change that.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Pakistan is in its usual avatar - confusion.

The Canadian cleric Qadri, the Army, the Supreme Court and the Govt are all working at cross purpose.

Yesterday, a PPP rep on TV stated that the Pak Supreme Court order to arrest is bad in law and will not be implemented.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
@Energon

Drone attacks is not the main cause of problems of your country it is just reactive action for the terrorists which is the largest export of Pakistan.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles