Pakistan's Ideology and Identity crisis

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
well well here is the words from the most power ful person inside the country (?)

so Islam is Pakistan and Pakistan is Islam :D

On a serious note let's stop the hogwash of secular identity or something
No one can separate Islam and Pakistan: General Kayani
Frighteningly this similar to what Zaid Hamid says; and its clearly intended to mislead people into believing that all the blame for troubles rests with those(Hindu-Jew-America) trying to "De-Islamise" Pakistan.

truthfull

DAWN.COM | Provinces | Construction of a jihadi mindset

Construction of a jihadi mindset
By Khadim Hussain
Wednesday, 25 Nov, 2009

The fact that a sizeable number of those recruited by religious militant organisations for conducting terror attacks in Pakistan are between 14 to 19 years and are products of both the religious and public education systems in the country should be reason enough to revamp these educational systems.

Considering the present curricula, teaching methods and learning culture in elementary and secondary schools in particular and higher education in general, it is not surprising that there is confusion regarding the objectives of the ideological paradigm of the well-coordinated and well-networked jihadist movement in Pakistan.

The ideological paradigm of the jihadist network in Pakistan is, however, clear enough: it justifies the formation, regimentation and militarisation of non-state groups that are bent upon eradicating the socio-cultural, political, economic and state capital of Fata, the NWFP, Punjab and other parts of Pakistan. The jihadist network in Pakistan feeds on the jihadi mindset that is nurtured by the elementary, secondary and higher public education system and madressahs in Pakistan.

The jihadi mindset, like other extremist belief systems, feeds on a rigid, inflexible, isolationist and myopic worldview. The curricula, methods of teaching and the teaching-learning environment in the elementary and secondary educational system in Pakistan perpetuate a culture of silence on the one hand and status consciousness, feudal behaviour and a morbid individuality on the other.

Over the past several decades, the majority of young men and women in Pakistan have been heavily influenced by the curricula, teaching methods, and learning environment to adopt a one-dimensional approach to reality. This denies them creative space within the pedagogical system. It also increases the probability of their becoming jihadi recruits.

A cursory look at the curricula of social sciences, history, Islamic studies and other subjects followed by elementary and secondary schools shows an emphasis on what is perceived as the Muslim ummah through the manipulation of historical reality, glorification of Muslim monarchs, hatred of other beliefs and the perpetuation of jihadist ideology.

Instead of presenting young minds with a broad-based civilisational perspective, the curricula in public elementary and secondary schools instills an isolationist identity focusing on the demonisation of the leadership of other nations, the construction of a peculiar historical context and the denunciation of religious, linguistic, cultural, social and political diversity. Content on peace education, environment and life skills has yet to find its way into Pakistan’s public education curricula.

This kind of content alienates the young minds from humane values that are the result of a long civilisational evolution. It denies young minds the skill to evaluate a process critically. Hence, the judgmental approach of our educated middle class as evident in the print and electronic, especially the Urdu, media, during socio-cultural, political, religious and economic debates, and the heavy dependence on conspiracy theories, should not surprise us.

The denial of space for students’ participation inside the classroom, the absence of encouragement to question established ideals and the lack of initiatives for basic skill development largely define a typical classroom in an elementary or secondary school in Pakistan. Debate and discussion on an established ideal are usually banned inside the classroom. The lack of teaching strategies to develop skills to construct a reasonable argument leads to the students adopting a subjective approach in almost all spheres of life. This process defeats the process of critical thinking among the students on the one hand, and constructs a mindset that is unwilling to accommodate ideas of diversity and pluralism on the other.

The learning environment of the majority of elementary and secondary public schools across Pakistan depicts a culture in which a predilection for adopting shortcuts to ‘achievements’ is effectively nurtured. (This attitude is especially exhibited in the shape of plagiarism that we find among the university students of Pakistan.)

The behavioural system that is adopted in one’s formative years thus becomes an integral part of adulthood. Rarely are strategies adopted to make students aware of their indigenous knowledge base or to give them the confidence to build on this. In such an environment, natural curiosity is usually the first victim.

Segregation and discrimination on the basis of gender, ethnicity, religion and socio-economic class define the attitude and conduct of the faculty and management of schools across the length and breadth of Pakistan. Activities that nurture innovation among students have yet to find a place in the learning culture. Art, music and dance never find room in our public education system.

Events that include sporting activities, song competitions, poetry recitals and other cultural undertakings are decreasing in elementary and secondary schools with the passage of each day. Physical punishments in schools, especially in rural Pakistan, perpetuate violent behaviour among the students between five and 18 years. Even the walls of the schools and classrooms are decorated with verses and poetry that glorify war, superiority over other nations and religions etc.

Though family upbringing, broader socio-cultural spaces and politico-economic vacuums are powerful factors responsible for young minds falling prey to the jihadist machine, the curricula, teaching methods and learning environment at schools accelerate the process. It is high time that we not only revisit the policy contours of our educational system but also make sure that young minds are taught to value critical thinking and develop a positive attitude towards diversity and show curiosity and a desire to explore knowledge and critically examine established ideals.

The writer teaches at Bahria University in Islamabad and coordinates the research activities of AIRRA, a regional advocacy group.

[email protected]
whole of islam is based on saudi culture domination ,fall of it will bring islamic theories to an end.pak brothers must take lesson from last words of aurangjeb .

truthfull

DAWN.COM | Provinces | Construction of a jihadi mindset

Construction of a jihadi mindset
By Khadim Hussain
Wednesday, 25 Nov, 2009

The fact that a sizeable number of those recruited by religious militant organisations for conducting terror attacks in Pakistan are between 14 to 19 years and are products of both the religious and public education systems in the country should be reason enough to revamp these educational systems.

Considering the present curricula, teaching methods and learning culture in elementary and secondary schools in particular and higher education in general, it is not surprising that there is confusion regarding the objectives of the ideological paradigm of the well-coordinated and well-networked jihadist movement in Pakistan.

The ideological paradigm of the jihadist network in Pakistan is, however, clear enough: it justifies the formation, regimentation and militarisation of non-state groups that are bent upon eradicating the socio-cultural, political, economic and state capital of Fata, the NWFP, Punjab and other parts of Pakistan. The jihadist network in Pakistan feeds on the jihadi mindset that is nurtured by the elementary, secondary and higher public education system and madressahs in Pakistan.

The jihadi mindset, like other extremist belief systems, feeds on a rigid, inflexible, isolationist and myopic worldview. The curricula, methods of teaching and the teaching-learning environment in the elementary and secondary educational system in Pakistan perpetuate a culture of silence on the one hand and status consciousness, feudal behaviour and a morbid individuality on the other.

Over the past several decades, the majority of young men and women in Pakistan have been heavily influenced by the curricula, teaching methods, and learning environment to adopt a one-dimensional approach to reality. This denies them creative space within the pedagogical system. It also increases the probability of their becoming jihadi recruits.

A cursory look at the curricula of social sciences, history, Islamic studies and other subjects followed by elementary and secondary schools shows an emphasis on what is perceived as the Muslim ummah through the manipulation of historical reality, glorification of Muslim monarchs, hatred of other beliefs and the perpetuation of jihadist ideology.

Instead of presenting young minds with a broad-based civilisational perspective, the curricula in public elementary and secondary schools instills an isolationist identity focusing on the demonisation of the leadership of other nations, the construction of a peculiar historical context and the denunciation of religious, linguistic, cultural, social and political diversity. Content on peace education, environment and life skills has yet to find its way into Pakistan’s public education curricula.

This kind of content alienates the young minds from humane values that are the result of a long civilisational evolution. It denies young minds the skill to evaluate a process critically. Hence, the judgmental approach of our educated middle class as evident in the print and electronic, especially the Urdu, media, during socio-cultural, political, religious and economic debates, and the heavy dependence on conspiracy theories, should not surprise us.

The denial of space for students’ participation inside the classroom, the absence of encouragement to question established ideals and the lack of initiatives for basic skill development largely define a typical classroom in an elementary or secondary school in Pakistan. Debate and discussion on an established ideal are usually banned inside the classroom. The lack of teaching strategies to develop skills to construct a reasonable argument leads to the students adopting a subjective approach in almost all spheres of life. This process defeats the process of critical thinking among the students on the one hand, and constructs a mindset that is unwilling to accommodate ideas of diversity and pluralism on the other.

The learning environment of the majority of elementary and secondary public schools across Pakistan depicts a culture in which a predilection for adopting shortcuts to ‘achievements’ is effectively nurtured. (This attitude is especially exhibited in the shape of plagiarism that we find among the university students of Pakistan.)

The behavioural system that is adopted in one’s formative years thus becomes an integral part of adulthood. Rarely are strategies adopted to make students aware of their indigenous knowledge base or to give them the confidence to build on this. In such an environment, natural curiosity is usually the first victim.

Segregation and discrimination on the basis of gender, ethnicity, religion and socio-economic class define the attitude and conduct of the faculty and management of schools across the length and breadth of Pakistan. Activities that nurture innovation among students have yet to find a place in the learning culture. Art, music and dance never find room in our public education system.

Events that include sporting activities, song competitions, poetry recitals and other cultural undertakings are decreasing in elementary and secondary schools with the passage of each day. Physical punishments in schools, especially in rural Pakistan, perpetuate violent behaviour among the students between five and 18 years. Even the walls of the schools and classrooms are decorated with verses and poetry that glorify war, superiority over other nations and religions etc.

Though family upbringing, broader socio-cultural spaces and politico-economic vacuums are powerful factors responsible for young minds falling prey to the jihadist machine, the curricula, teaching methods and learning environment at schools accelerate the process. It is high time that we not only revisit the policy contours of our educational system but also make sure that young minds are taught to value critical thinking and develop a positive attitude towards diversity and show curiosity and a desire to explore knowledge and critically examine established ideals.

The writer teaches at Bahria University in Islamabad and coordinates the research activities of AIRRA, a regional advocacy group.

[email protected]
what were the last words of Aurangzeb?
Originally Posted by Singh
The will was recorded by Maulvi Hamid-ud Din in chapter 8 of his hand written book in Persian about the life of Aurangzeb.

There is no doubt that I have been the emperor of India and I have ruled over this country. But I am sorry to say that I have not been able to do a good deed in my lifetime. My inner soul is cursing me as a sinner. But know it is of no avail. It is my wish that my last rites be performed by my dear son Azam, nobody else should touch my body.

My servent, Aya Beg, has my purse in which I have cearfully kept my earnings of 4 Rs and 2 annas. In my spare time I have been writing the Koran and stitching caps. It was by selling the caps that I made an hounest earning of 4 Rs and 2 annas. My coffin should be purchase with this amount. No other money should be spent for covering the body of a sinner. This is my dying wish.
By selling the copies of the koran I collected 305 Rs. That money is also with Aya Beg. It is my will that poor Mohammedans should be fed with sweet rice purchased by this money.

All my articles - clothes, ink stand, pens and books should be given to my son Azam. The labour charges for digging my grave will be paid by Prince Azam.

My grave should be dug in a dense forest. When I am buried my face should remain uncovered. Do not bury my face in earth. I want to present myself to Allah with a naked face. I am told whoever goes to the supreme court with a naked face will have his sins forgiven.

My coffin should be made of thick Khaddar. Do not place a costly shawl on the corpse. The route of my funeral should not be showered with flowers. No one should be permitted to place any flowers on my body. No music should be played or sung, I hate music.

No tomb should be built for me. Only a chabootra or platform may be erected.

I have not been able to pay the salaries of my soldiers and my personal servents for several months. I bequeath that after my death at least my personal servents be paid in full as the treasury is empty. Niamat Ali has served my very faithfully he has cleaned my body and has never let my bed remain dirty.

No mausoleum should be raised in my memory. No stone with my name should be placed at my grave. There should be no trees planted near the grave. A sinner like me does not deserve the protection of a shady tree.

My son, Azam has the authority to rule from the throne of Delhi. Kam Bakhsh should be entrusted with the governance of Bijapur and Golconda States.

Allah should not make anyone an emperor, the most unfortunate person is he who is an emperor. My sins should not be mentioned in any social gathering. No story of my life should be told to anyone.

Translated from an historical article published by S.Ajmer Singh MA in the Fateh weekly Nov. 7th, 1976.

(According to wishes of the emperor, his grave made of 'kuccha' bricks can still be seen in Aurangabad).

Zafarnama Dhaya Singh Emperor Aurangzeb

truthfull

So, what can Pakis learn from the above?
paks will learn only hwen they will face same consequences as mughals whose last mughal do not get indian soil for buried.becoz they consider him as their hero as islamic gaji.

johnee

Originally Posted by Singh
The will was recorded by Maulvi Hamid-ud Din in chapter 8 of his hand written book in Persian about the life of Aurangzeb.

There is no doubt that I have been the emperor of India and I have ruled over this country. But I am sorry to say that I have not been able to do a good deed in my lifetime. My inner soul is cursing me as a sinner. But know it is of no avail. It is my wish that my last rites be performed by my dear son Azam, nobody else should touch my body.
What 'good deed' according to him did he not do? Why does he call himself sinner? Can you shed some light on this?

Flint

^Interpretation is important. By 'good deeds', he may well be referring to his religious duties.

johnee

^Interpretation is important. By 'good deeds', he may well be referring to his religious duties.
Yes, I know, but I was curious to know what he thought he should have done...and by not doing it, he branded himself a 'sinner'. It gives a key to his thinking.

ppgj

Is it really India?

By Pervez Hoodbhoy
Saturday, 28 Nov, 2009

FOREIGN Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi says that Pakistan is “compiling hard evidence of India’s involvement” in terrorist attacks on Pakistan’s public and its armed forces.

If he and the interior minister are correct then we must conclude that the Indians are psychotics possessed with a death wish, or are perhaps plain stupid. While India’s assistance for Baloch insurgents could conceivably make strategic sense, helping the jihadists simply does not.

As Pakistan staggers from one bombing to the other, some Indians must be secretly pleased. Indeed, there are occasional verbalisations: is this not sweet revenge for the horrors of Mumbai (allegedly) perpetrated by Lashkar-i-Taiba? Shouldn’t India feel satisfaction as Pakistan reels from the stinging poison of its domestically reared snakes?

But most Indians are probably less than enthusiastic in stoking fires across the border. In fact, the majority would like to forget that Pakistan exists. With a six per cent growth rate, booming hi-tech exports and expectations of a semi-superpower status, they feel that India has no need to engage a struggling Pakistan with its endless litany of problems.

Of course, some would like to hurt Pakistan. Extremists in India ask: shouldn’t one increase the pain of a country — with which India has fought three bloody wars — by aiding its enemies? Perhaps do another Bangladesh on Pakistan someday?

These fringe elements, fortunately, are inconsequential today. Rational self-interest demands that India not aid jihadists. Imagine the consequences if central authority in Pakistan disappears or is sharply weakened. Splintered into a hundred jihadist lashkars, each with its own agenda and tactics, Pakistan’s territory would become India’s eternal nightmare. When Mumbai-II occurs — as it surely would in such circumstances — India’s options in dealing with nuclear Pakistan would be severely limited.

The Indian army would be powerless. As the Americans have discovered at great cost, the mightiest war machines on earth cannot prevent holy warriors from crossing borders. Internal collaborators, recruited from a domestic Muslim population that feels itself alienated from Hindu-India, would connive with jihadists. Subsequently, as Indian forces retaliate against Muslims — innocent and otherwise — the action-reaction cycle would rip the country apart.

So, how can India protect itself from invaders across its western border and grave injury? Just as importantly, how can we in Pakistan assure that the fight against fanatics is not lost?

Let me make an apparently outrageous proposition: in the coming years, India’s best protection is likely to come from its traditional enemy, the Pakistan Army. Therefore, India ought to now help, not fight, against it.

This may sound preposterous. After all, the two countries have fought three and a half wars over six decades. During periods of excessive tension, they have growled at each other while meaningfully pointing towards their respective nuclear arsenals. And yet, the imperative of mutual survival makes a common defence inevitable. Given the rapidly rising threat within Pakistan, the day for joint actions may not be very far away.

Today Pakistan is bearing the brunt. Its people, government and armed forces are under unrelenting attack. South Waziristan, a war of necessity rather than of choice, will certainly not be the last one. A victory here will not end terrorism, although a stalemate will embolden jihadists in south Punjab, including Lashkar-i-Taiba and Jaish-i-Mohammad. The cancer of religious militancy has spread across Pakistan, and it will take decades to defeat.

This militancy does not merely exist because America occupies Afghanistan. A US withdrawal, while welcome, will not end Pakistan’s problems. As an ideological movement, the jihadists want to transform society as part of their wider agenda. They ride on the backs of their partners, the mainstream religious political parties like the Jamaat-i-Islami and Jamiat-i-Ulema-Pakistan. None of these have condemned the suicide bombings of Pakistani universities, schools, markets, mosques, police and army facilities.

Pakistan’s political leadership and army must not muddy the waters, especially now that public sanction has finally been obtained for fighting extremism in Swat and Waziristan. Self-deception weakens and enormously increases vulnerability. Wars can only be won if nations have a clear rallying slogan. Therefore the battle against religious extremism will require identifying it — by name — as the enemy.

India should derive no satisfaction from Pakistan’s predicament. Although religious extremists see ordinary Muslims as munafiqs (hypocrites) — and therefore free to be blown up in bazaars and mosques — they hate Hindus even more. In their calculus, hurting India would buy even more tickets for heaven than hurting Pakistan. They dream of ripping apart both societies, or starting a war — preferably nuclear — between Pakistan and India.

A common threat needs a common defence. But this is difficult unless the Pakistan-India conflict is reduced in intensity. In fact the extremist groups that threaten both countries today are an unintended consequence of Pakistan’s frustrations at Indian obduracy in Kashmir.

To create a future working alliance with Pakistan, and in deference to basic democratic principles, India must be seen as genuinely working towards some kind of resolution of the Kashmir issue. Over the past two decades India has been morally isolated from Kashmiri Muslims and continues to incur the very considerable costs of an occupying power in the Valley. Indian soldiers continue to needlessly die — and to oppress and kill Kashmiri innocents.

It is time for India to fuzz the Line of Control, make it highly permeable and demilitarise it up to some mutually negotiated depth on both sides. Without peace in Kashmir the forces of cross-border jihad, and its hate-filled holy warriors, will continue to receive unnecessary succour.

India also needs to allay Pakistan’s fears on Balochistan. Although Pakistan’s current federal structure is the cause of the problem — a fact which the government is now finally addressing through the newly announced Balochistan package — it is nevertheless possible that India is aiding some insurgent groups. Statements have been made in India that Balochistan provides New Delhi with a handle to exert pressure on Pakistan. This is unacceptable.

While there is no magic wand, confidence-building measures (CBMs) continue to be important for managing the Pakistan-India conflict and bringing down the decibel level of mutual rhetoric. To be sure, CBMs can be easily disparaged as palliatives that do not address the underlying causes of a conflict. Nevertheless, looking at those initiated over the years shows that they have held up even in adverse circumstances. More are needed.

The reason for India to want rapprochement with Pakistan, and thus end decades of hostility, has nothing to do with feelings of friendship or goodwill. It has only to do with survival. For us in Pakistan, this is even truer.

The writer teaches at Quaid-i-Azam University in Islamabad

DAWN.COM | Editorial | Is it really India?

ppgj

Paper no. 3513 20-Nov-2009

PAKISTAN ARMY REVERTS TO POLITICAL GAMES WITH UNITED STATES TACIT ACQUIESCENCE

By Dr. Subhash Kapila

Introductory Observations

Pakistan Army reverting to playing political games should not come as a shocker because the Pakistan Army never ceased to manipulate Pakistan’s political dynamics, even after General Musharraf’s ouster under intense pressure of civilian demonstrations on Pakistan’s streets.

General Kayani replaced General Musharraf as Pakistan Army Chief. The United States and the Pakistan’s media led the world to believe that General Kayani was a professional soldier committed to keep the Pakistan Army out of Pakistani politics and not prone to any military adventurism against India.

India’s National Security Adviser taken in by US assessment of General Kayani dutifully gave certifications to General Kayani on American lines. Within months, General Kayani broke the four year old ceasefire on the LOC in Kashmir and intensified terrorist activities against India. Pakistan Army’s contributions in Mumbai 26/11 are undeniable.

Genral Kayani like all his predecessors is today seemingly engaged in a running political battle with Pakistan’s President Zardari to remove him from the Presidency.

Curiously, the Pakistani media too has allied itself with the Pakistan Army Chief in his subtle ‘oust Zardari’ campaign.

Surprisingly, further, it is being given out in the Pakistan media that the United States has given a wink to General Kayani to go ahead with the moves.

Since Pakistan’s internal dynamics and turbulence has serious implications for Indian security and especially when Pakistan Army is indulging in foreplay to change the existing civilian democratic set up in Pakistan with reportedly United States tacit acquiescence, the current scene in Pakistan deserves a closer scrutiny.

It is proposed to undertake this scrutiny under the following heads:

* Pakistan Army’s Whispered Campaign Against President Zardari
* Pakistan Army: Would it be Content with a Zardari Political Changeover
* Pakistan Army’s Anti-Zardari Campaign: Reasons for United States Tacit Acquiescence

Pakistan Army’s Whispered Campaign Against President Zardari

General Kayani is a wily and shrewd operator unlike General Musharraf who given his flamboyance was prone to more direct utterances. The Pakistani media (especially the English language media) which welcomed General Musharraf ‘s military takeover a decade back, seems to be now playing out Pakistan Army’s and General Kayani’s political games,once again.

Culling from Pakistani media reports and media columns, the Pakistan Army’s whispered charges against President Zardari incorporates the following:

* Pakistan Army’s notorious intelligence agency IS which is in the forefront of Pakistan Army’s proxy war against India was ordered by Zardari to be brought under civilian government control.
* Zardari made an offer of Pakistan” “No First Use” of nuclear weapons against India without consulting Pakistan Army.
* In the wake of Mumbai 9/11 bombings in India, Zardari made the offer to send Pak ISI Chief, Lt. Gen Shuja Pasha to India for discussions
* Zardari signaled a Pak affirmative to the passage of the US Kerry- Lugar Bill which aims to clip the wings of the Pakistan Army and intending to bring Pakistan Army under civilian control

From this charge sheet three significant features stand out which are emotive issues within Pakistan:

* Pak Army has picked on security related issues in relation to India, on which public hysteria could be generated.
* Pak Army is now giving a new spin to the Kerry- Lugar Bill in that it maintains that the Bill is designed to cap and roll back Pakistan Army’s nuclear weapons arsenal
* Zardari is implicitly playing US-India games in relation to Pakistan’s nuclear weapons arsenal first by NFU offer to India and his latest implicit acceptance of Kerry-Lugar Bill.

Implicit in all of the above is the fact that Pakistan Army does not brook any civilian government’s encroaching on its turf.

Pakistan Army: Would it be Content with a Zardari Political Changeover

The answer is a strong No. Unlike the politicians, who do not indulge in scenario building and assessment exercises, the Pakistan Army, as any professional army, is adept at doing so and especially when it comes to protecting its turf.

Pakistan Army’s scripted political scenario building is likely to unfold as under:

* The United States has a concurrent convergence with Pakistan Army to dump Zardari.
* Zardari replacement may not be preferred by Pak Army from the list of PM Gilani or PML (N) former PM Nawaz Sharif
* Zardari’s replacement could be some ‘wild card’ nominee acceptable to US and also non-political with democratic credentials.
* General Kayani could then claim that Pak Army did not resort to political interference, and that democracy was sustained by the [Pakistan Army

Post these developments, Pakistan’s political scene could degenerate into political unrest and demonstrations and the NRO affected politicians and those pre-empted from replacing Zardari could generate political unrest.

Pakistan’s ruling party of Zardari, the PPP cannot be expected to remain a silent spectator. With its wide base all over Pakistan and symbolically deprived of political power by Zardari ouster, the PPP has the potential of generating widespread political disorder. Zardari can also be expected to play the Sindh card

In such an enveloping politically disruptive scenario the Pakistan Army under General Kayani would then opportunistically step-in once again with military rule on the plea of “saving Pakistan”

Pakistan Army’s Anti-Zardari Campaign: Reasons for United States Tacit Acquiscence

United States reported winking at Pakistan Army’s anti-Zardari campaign to displace him from the Presidency can be attributed to the following reasons:

* In the current Af-Pak strategy of USA it has perforce to depend upon the contribution of the Pakistan Army, however unwilling they may be
* Current Zardari-Kayani tussle in US perceptions keeps Pakistan Army distracted from making whole-hearted contribution to aid USA.
* USA has always felt “militarily and politically comfortable” to deal with Pakistan through military dictators.
* USA would therefore not even mind a military coup by General Kayani, if it helps things in Afghanistan.

However, while all the above may be tactically expedient for the United States, it fails to realize that there are too many flies in this ointment.

This significantly includes the very strong prevailing anti-US sentiment within Pakistan and the perceptions growing within Pakistan’s elitist circles that Pakistan is on an inevitable collision course with the United States. A recent column by former Pak Ambassador Zafar Hilaly reflects it as such.

Concluding Observations

Pakistan as it is today is grievously besieged from within. Its internal cohesion and security are seriously threatened and possible disintegration stares it in the face.

In such a failing- state environment it does not behove the Pakistan Army to indulge in political games to revert back to military rule of Pakistan by generating actions which could result in political upheaval.

The United States too needs recognize that the Pakistan Army in an environment of political upheaval would not be in a position to contribute to US strategic ends and needs to be dissuaded from playing political games.

(The author is an International Relations and Strategic Affairs analyst. He is the Consultant, Strategic Affairs with South Asia Analysis Group. Email: [email protected])

Pakistan Army Reverts to Political Games With United States Tacit Acquiescence

S.A.T.A

IMO its only a matter of time before Kiyani(or his successor,if he does not last that long)will muster enough courage to oust the PPP govt of zardari.although its unlikely that the Army will assume direct power as was done by Musharraf,Kiyani is busy engineering a split within the PPP.With the Gilani faction already has its dagger drawn against Zardari,the army will find ready a ready sympathizer in Gilani and his supporter to smoothen the army's ride back into Islamabad.

The real question is do the Pakistani civil activist led by the nations lawyers and intellectuals still have the stomach for another tug of war on the street.This the stakes for the civil activists will be high,ISI surely will be keen unleash the taliban on any such dissent.

ppgj

Pakistan's president facing military anger over his U.S. ties

By Saeed Shah | McClatchy Newspapers

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan — Suspicions by Pakistan's powerful army that the country's civilian leadership is growing too close to the United States are fueling a political crisis that analysts here believe threatens the survival of the government and could divert attention from the battle against Islamic extremists.

Military officials believe that secretly taped conversations between Pakistani President Asif Zardari and his ambassador in Washington, prove that it was at Zardari's insistence that a $1.5 billion U.S. aid package passed by Congress in September contained several provisions that angered the Pakistani military. The military publicly protested the aid package last month.

"The reaction (from the military) was not so much to what was in the bill but to the thought that the government was trying to create a civilian-to-civilian dialogue (with Washington)," said a senior Pakistani official, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

The army has ruled Pakistan for most its existence, with civilian rule returning only last year.

Now the military is responding by pressing a confrontation with Zardari over the expiration of a legal amnesty for politicians that benefited many members of Zardari's government, including the president himself and his ambassador to Washington, Husain Haqqani.

The amnesty, known as the National Reconciliation Ordinance (NRO), wiped away long-standing charges against politicians and bureaucrats who served between 1986 and 1999. But the Supreme Court ruled that the measure, which had been decreed in October 2007 by then President Pervez Musharraf, was unconstitutional, and it will come to an end on Saturday.

That will expose serving ministers and senior aides to prosecution over cases that range from corruption to murder — including Zardari, who was charged with taking kickbacks when his wife, the assassinated Benazir Bhutto, served as the country's prime minister.

Most here argue that Zardari, who is head of the ruling Pakistan Peoples Party, will still have legal immunity as president. But analysts believe the military is behind a campaign to oust Zardari and, with the help of sympathetic media and opposition politicians, is using the end of the amnesty as an opportunity to strike. While dislodging the president will be tough, it is possible that he'll be forced to transfer most of his powers to the prime minister through a constitutional amendment.

Suspicions in the president's camp about an attempt to isolate him were heightened when the law ministry released a list of amnesty beneficiaries that featured those close to the president, including his top aide and several cabinet ministers, but none of the allies of Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gilani.

At the center of the civil-military conflict is the relationship between Zardari's government and Washington, with the Pakistani army resentful of the close ties and the government's agreement with some U.S. security policies that don't fit with the military's view.

The political confrontation came to the fore with the passage of the $1.5 billion U.S. aid package, which insisted on civilian control of the armed forces and threatened to cut off assistance if there were a coup. The legislation also demanded that Pakistan crack down on extremist groups that were previously considered close to the country's army.

A military spy agency recorded Zardari and Haqqan discussing the legislation. Knowledgeable civilian and military officials, who spoke only if they were not identified by name, said the recordings captured the two discussing how to strengthen democratic institutions in Pakistan.

Even when there have been civilian governments in Islamabad, the military has viewed sensitive foreign and security policies as its purview. In particular, the military jealously guards its role in relations with India, Afghanistan and the United States, as well as the policy toward the country's nuclear arsenal.

Zardari, however, has intruded in all those areas since taking office. He's reached out to traditional enemy India, improved relations with Afghan President Hamid Karzai — usually seen in Pakistan as dangerously close to India — and agreed with the U.S. that Pakistan must eliminate extremist groups on its soil — the same Islamic militants that the military previously used to fight proxy wars in India and Afghanistan.

Zardari also unsuccessfully tried to place the main military spy agency, Inter-Services Intelligence, under civilian control, and he offered a "no first use" policy on Pakistan's nuclear weapons to India.

"The army does not like too much civilian interference in their internal affairs," said Hasan Askari Rizvi, a defense commentator and author of Military, State and Society in Pakistan. "The military thinks that the Pakistan government wants to use this (U.S.) law to somehow interfere in the affairs of the military."

"Zardari is perceived as too dependent on or too pro the United States, and sometimes not quite in agreement with the strategic view of the army," said Arif Nizami, a political analyst and former newspaper editor.

The law ministry's list of amnesty beneficiaries contained over 8,000 names, including bureaucrats and party workers, on charges ranging from murder to embezzlement.

The list includes Interior Minister Rehman Malik, Ports Minister Babar Khan Ghauri, Overseas Pakistanis Minister Farooq Sattar, the governor of Sindh province,Ishratul Ebad, and the president's top aide, Salman Farooqui.

Also on the list are the high commissioner to London, Wajid Shamsul Hasan, and the ambassador to Washington, Haqqani — who both deny taking advantage of the amnesty. Haqqani has sued to have his name removed from the list.

(Shah is a McClatchy special correspondent.)

Pakistan's president facing military anger over his U.S. ties | McClatchy

ppgj

The Hindu : Opinion / Op-Ed : Pakistan: two questions, multiple realities

Pakistan: two questions, multiple realities
Nirupama Subramanian

In the weeks after the attacks, the Pakistan government, under immense international pressure and scrutiny, took several steps. A raid on a Lashkar camp at Muzaffarabad led to the arrest of commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi.

A year after the Mumbai attacks, two questions have persisted: was the Inter-Services Intelligence or any other “elements” of the Pakistani state complicit in the attacks? If the ISI, which nurtured the Lashkar-e-Taiba to wage a proxy war in India, has cut itself off from the group as claimed and was not involved in the attack, what stops Pakistan from cracking down effectively on it?

There are no certain replies to these questions, only multiple realities, and how each side perceives and interprets them.

In the weeks after the attacks, the Pakistan government, under immense international pressure and scrutiny, took several steps. A raid on a Lashkar camp at Muzaffarabad led to the arrest of commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi. This is possibly also where Abdul Wajid, whose alias has been shown as Zarar Shah, was picked up. Both are the alleged masterminds of the attacks.

Next, it placed Hafiz Saeed, LeT founder and leader of its front organisation, Jamat-ud-dawa, under house arrest. It also detained some 70 JuD activists across the country. In Punjab and the North-West Frontier Province, the government sealed some JuD offices. This came after the designation of the JuD and Hafiz Saeed by the Al Qaeda/Taliban sanctions committee of the U.N. Security Council.

The Punjab government took over the administration of the Muridke campus of the JuD, located 45 km from Lahore, to keep operational some of the welfare activities started by the group.

The government also launched an investigation into the planning of the Mumbai attacks in Pakistan. The probe named the LeT as the group behind the attack. The government made multiple arrests, registered a case and put seven people, including Lakhvi and Abdul Wajid, on trial.

Analysts and officials in Pakistan feel that all this only goes to show that no state “elements” could have been involved in the Mumbai attacks. The government could not have taken any of these actions without the consent of the ISI and the Army. Even the investigation by the Federal Investigating Agency, they say, would not have been possible, but for the assistance provided by intelligence agencies.

There is a real worry within the military and the intelligence agencies, these analysts say, that if there is another attack of a similar nature in India, it could trigger an India-Pakistan at a time when its forces are tied up battling the Taliban on the western borders. This, they say, is a “nightmare scenario” that the Pakistani authorities are trying their best to avoid.

‘Strategic asset’

“Some corners of the establishment may still hold the view that the LeT can be used as a ‘strategic asset,’ but there is a lot of internal thinking on this, lots of questions are being asked internally about this. My information is that in the majority view, they are now seen more as a liability,” said Amir Rana, author of A-Z of Jihad, and head of the Pakistan Institute of Peace Studies.

But the government’s reluctance to go all the way against the LeT is all too obvious. After six months of house arrest, Hafiz Saeed is a free man, and the government says it cannot act against him unless New Delhi provides “concrete evidence” linking him to the Mumbai attacks. Saeed does keep a lower profile than before, but still leads the Friday prayers at the JuD’s headquarters, Jamia Al Qudsia, at Chaudburji in Lahore.

All the others JuD activists have been released. The organisation has not yet been banned, but now operates under the name of Falah-i-Insaniyat and was noticed in relief operations among the internally displaced from the Swat Valley during the military operations there.

As the arrests of David Headley and Tahawwur Hussain Rana in the U.S. have shown, the LeT also retains operational capabilities. The two men are said to have been in communication with an unnamed LeT operative, and though they were arrested for an alleged terror plot against a Danish newspaper, they were also said to be planning an attack on the National Defence College in New Delhi.

Further, the arrest of a former Major for his links with Headley and Rana are bound to raise questions on the LeT’s continuing links, if not with the military as an institution, but with sections within it, especially because the Major retired only two years ago.

After the attack on the General Headquarters in Rawalpindi, the Pakistan military acknowledged, for the first time, that the Pakistani Taliban, which it is battling, had found allies among the Punjab-based jihadi groups — known as anti-India groups, or ‘Kashmiri’ groups that came up with state backing — to carry out terrorist strikes in the heartland of Pakistan.

It is now accepted within the military that Al Qaeda, the Taliban and their allies among the Punjabi jihadis operate as a syndicate. But while the military has included the Jaish-e-Mohammed, along with Lashkar-e-Jhangvi and the Sipah-e-Sahaba, in this syndicate, the Laskhar-e-Taiba is still not considered part of it.

In a background briefing for journalists last month, senior military officials warned against India’s “propaganda” of trying to conflate the LeT with Al Qaeda “for its own ends”.

Even with the Jaish, the extent of the rupture with the establishment is unclear. In a briefing after the GHQ attacks, the military spokesman said it was “splinter groups” and “individuals” who had broken away from the main group and joined up with the Taliban. The implication seemed to be that there was no problem yet with the main group.

Indeed, an October 16 report in The News, which was not denied or contradicted yet, said the military flew down the leadership of the Jaish-e-Mohammed and the Sipah-e-Sahaba to negotiate with the GHQ attackers during the siege. From the JeM, it was Mufti Abdul Rauf, the younger brother of Maulana Masood Azhar and acting Ameer of the group. But jihad-watchers in Pakistan say there are good reasons for the reluctance to go all out against the Punjab-based jihad groups.

Especially with the LeT, one reason widely cited is that the security establishment does not want to risk a backlash from a group that has refrained thus far from anti-Pakistan activities and is still seen as closest to the establishment. The JuD has a network that reaches deep into every tehsil of Punjab, and the military does not want to be forced into opening yet another front in the country’s most stable, prosperous and politically important province.

Arresting Hafiz Saeed is also seen as out of question. It is claimed that it would lead to factionalism within the JuD, and the creation of hard to control “rogue” or splinter groups. In fact, Saeed’s hold over the organisation is already said to have weakened from the time of the 2002 ban on LeT. Even the Mumbai attacks are held to be the handiwork of a “rogue” group.

Plus, analysts say, India’s attitude since the Mumbai attacks has led to a corresponding hardening of anti-India attitudes here, not just within the establishment or government, but also among ordinary people, and any move against Hafiz Saeed or JuD/LeT could set off a political backlash about “appeasing India”.

It seems that the maximum that Pakistan is prepared to do to address Indian concerns is prosecute the seven men, including the LeT commander Lakhvi, who face trial for their suspected involvement in the Mumbai attacks. Those questions, though, will not go away.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
here is a gem I suggest full read :D

Interview: Afzal Tauseef

How would you review the academic scene in view of your 35-year experience as an educationist?

Zia-ul-Haq’s period was the darkest. At a personal level, I was haunted by the agencies to the extent that once I escaped by jumping over the walls of neighbouring houses at two in the morning. This led to a long period of hide-and-seek, ending only when I myself surrendered to the ISI in Quetta in order to save my sympathisers.

At the public level, one of the first things Zia did was to get together a bunch of pseudo literateurs and publicly tell them that Progressive literature and thought were mere rubbish that would eat up the system. Waris Mir died of shock when he saw the treatment being meted to progressive thought. But the most direct fallout happened when they started scratching away at the history and literature syllabi. They redesigned courses with the express notion of introducing very warped versions of Islamiyat as a subject. I was a sitting member of the Senate Committee on syllabi planning and I told them explictly that while one could somehow compromise on the removal of Faiz from the syllabi, why had we suddenly taken affront to some very beautiful expressions of Iqbal when in the same breath they continued to maintain that Iqbal gave the idea of Pakistan. When I persisted, they told me that the order for the removal of Iqbal’s verses like “Uththo Meree Dunya Kay Ghareebon Ko Jaga Do” had come from above! I maintained that it was not a divine order. So their next excuse was that Iqbal was too difficult to teach. I offered my services to prepare teachers of Iqbal if that was the problem. The very next day I was informed that I was no longer on the Senate Committee.
Where would you pin the cause for the state of things in Pakistan today?

Jagirdari and the jagirdari mindset, especially as it grew to gather political backing. It cost us a wing of the country. This system is an enemy of those with socially-awakened intellect. Nowhere else in the entire world can you find such an oppressive system. India put an end to it at the very beginning but our leaders continue to nourish it. I personally think that if Nehru had not included land reforms in his programme, Pakistan would never have been created. The country was made so that the jagirdari system could remain intact. The jagirdars, who were all protégées of the British, knew that if left in the Congress fold, they would be wiped out since at that time Marxist thought was moving into the subcontinent. The Muslim League was a product of the British and the land-owning Nawabs. On the other side was America, who wanted something in return for the money it had given to the British during the war. They wanted an area where a new imperialism could be let loose. And this is what continues to this day. Now we are paying for it dearly.
But the initial thought behind Pakistan was La illa ha illallah.

That slogan came much later when Liaquat Ali Khan passed the Qarardad-i-Maqaasid. The Quaid had seen Pakistan as a secular state, but within a year-and-a-half he was almost a helpless prisoner in Ziarat. My father was very close to him and I remember him quoting the Quaid as telling a group of students who had come to visit him in Ziarat, “Where is the Muslim League? This typewriter and myself?” The Quaid had never envisioned the Muslim League as a party of landowners. In fact, he was against the allotment of property to people against claims of things left behind in India during Partition. For this reason the rift between him and Liaquat Ali Khan grew to the extent that they were not even on talking terms towards the end. We all know how he was treated on his final journey from Karachi Airport to the governor general’s house.
What is your greatest concern today?

That Pakistan survives. That it is able to weather all the malicious intent directed at it. That the murder and mayhem rampant across its length and breadth may come to an end. I have always been against military intervention but today, there is so much at stake – the country, the people, the very culture – that I believe the army must act.

I also maintain that along with the overall influence of the imperialist powers in the face of a weakened awam, Mullahism is the most significant threat. Pakistan was not made solely for Muslims. The very fact that Muslims are daily at each other’s throats proves the point that there is no such thing as the Muslim collective. Today, society is just a configuration of the different statuses enjoyed by Muslims … the poor, the rich, the oppressed, the oppressors, the powerful and the powerless.

ppgj

Pak Sikh thrashed for not converting - Special Report - Sunday TOI - Home - The Times of India

Pak Sikh thrashed for not converting
Yudhvir Rana, TNN 29 November 2009, 12:12am IST

AMRITSAR: A Sikh advocate in Pakistan was reportedly thrashed and threatened with dire consequences recently if he did not convert to Islam,

forcing his family to run for safety to a gurdwara in Hassanabdal near Rawalpindi.

While the victim, Anup Singh, was yet to regain consciousness, the incident has left the Sikh community in Pakistan rattled and insecure. Talking to TOI from Islamabad, Anup’s brother, Ravinder Singh, recalled horror of November 21. ‘‘A group of at least eight men kidnapped my brother from his office and took him to Mohammad Amin’s residence, where he was stripped and photographed with Amin’s wife.’’

Undergoing treatment for fractures and severe head injuries in Holy Family Hospital, Ralwalpindi, where doctors said it might take a few months before Anup could start leading a normal life, the advocate was reportedly assaulted for fighting a separation case for Amin’s wife, Safina Kanwal. ‘‘The goons made my brother sign on a blank paper, after which they cut his hair, beard, moustaches and threatened him to convert to Islam if he wanted to live in Pakistan.’’

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Is it really India?

By Pervez Hoodbhoy
Saturday, 28 Nov, 2009
Usually Pervez Hoodbhoy is one of few who writes a lot of rational articles from Pakistan and I has lot of respect for him but not anymore after this article. He has completely lost his mind and wrote totally a bullsh!t article which reeks of desperateness on part of Pakistani elite who are on the verge of losing their control of Pakistan due to attacks by Taliban. Let me point out the flaws in his article.

These fringe elements, fortunately, are inconsequential today. Rational self-interest demands that India not aid jihadists. Imagine the consequences if central authority in Pakistan disappears or is sharply weakened. Splintered into a hundred jihadist lashkars, each with its own agenda and tactics, Pakistan’s territory would become India’s eternal nightmare. When Mumbai-II occurs — as it surely would in such circumstances — India’s options in dealing with nuclear Pakistan would be severely limited.
How so? The central authority the Pakistani army is the one which was responsible for targeted attacks on India for 3 decades now. How will their disappearance will affect India??.

The Indian army would be powerless. As the Americans have discovered at great cost, the mightiest war machines on earth cannot prevent holy warriors from crossing borders. Internal collaborators, recruited from a domestic Muslim population that feels itself alienated from Hindu-India, would connive with jihadists. Subsequently, as Indian forces retaliate against Muslims — innocent and otherwise — the action-reaction cycle would rip the country apart.
By calling India as Hindu-India he lost the respect there itself. He is trying to create an image where he is trying to project that if we don't help Pakistan in fighting Taliban, they will cross over and attack India with the help of Indian muslims and in affect trying to create wedge between Indians and Indian muslims. One has to remember that Taliban has never said it will attack India, it is the Punjab based terrorist organizations that are acting against India with support from ISI/PA. Let the PA stop them first and then ask for Indian help to fight Taliban.

India should derive no satisfaction from Pakistan’s predicament. Although religious extremists see ordinary Muslims as munafiqs (hypocrites) — and therefore free to be blown up in bazaars and mosques — they hate Hindus even more. In their calculus, hurting India would buy even more tickets for heaven than hurting Pakistan. They dream of ripping apart both societies, or starting a war — preferably nuclear — between Pakistan and India.
Terrorists are terrorists, they don't see Hindu-muslim distinction. How many muslims got killed in Mumbai??. They have killed many muslims indiscriminately just like they killed other Indians and foreigners. Another load of poppycock from pervez.

To create a future working alliance with Pakistan, and in deference to basic democratic principles, India must be seen as genuinely working towards some kind of resolution of the Kashmir issue. Over the past two decades India has been morally isolated from Kashmiri Muslims and continues to incur the very considerable costs of an occupying power in the Valley. Indian soldiers continue to needlessly die — and to oppress and kill Kashmiri innocents.
Again brings up kashmir issue and load of BS associated with it. He should check in his own backyard of PoK how much they like the rule of Pakistan. He conveniently forgets that Indian soldiers are there to fight terrorists that are being sent from his country not to oppress and kill Kashmiris. He also knows that India is only interested in status-quo and that Pakistan is not going to get an inch of it.

The reason for India to want rapprochement with Pakistan, and thus end decades of hostility, has nothing to do with feelings of friendship or goodwill. It has only to do with survival. For us in Pakistan, this is even truer.
India's survival is not at stake and it will not be even if Pakistan falls down to extremists. It is Pakistan's survival that is at stake and it is responsible for its own destruction and that is why Hoodbhoy is worried about and desperate to get India to do their job. Sorry, India will stay away and see the destruction of Pakistan from the sidelines.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Is it really India?

By Pervez Hoodbhoy
Saturday, 28 Nov, 2009

FOREIGN Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi says that Pakistan is “compiling hard evidence of India’s involvement” in terrorist attacks on Pakistan’s public and its armed forces.

If he and the interior minister are correct then we must conclude that the Indians are psychotics possessed with a death wish, or are perhaps plain stupid. While India’s assistance for Baloch insurgents could conceivably make strategic sense, helping the jihadists simply does not.

As Pakistan staggers from one bombing to the other, some Indians must be secretly pleased. Indeed, there are occasional verbalisations: is this not sweet revenge for the horrors of Mumbai (allegedly) perpetrated by Lashkar-i-Taiba? Shouldn’t India feel satisfaction as Pakistan reels from the stinging poison of its domestically reared snakes?

But most Indians are probably less than enthusiastic in stoking fires across the border. In fact, the majority would like to forget that Pakistan exists. With a six per cent growth rate, booming hi-tech exports and expectations of a semi-superpower status, they feel that India has no need to engage a struggling Pakistan with its endless litany of problems.

Of course, some would like to hurt Pakistan. Extremists in India ask: shouldn’t one increase the pain of a country — with which India has fought three bloody wars — by aiding its enemies? Perhaps do another Bangladesh on Pakistan someday?

So, how can India protect itself from invaders across its western border and grave injury? Just as importantly, how can we in Pakistan assure that the fight against fanatics is not lost?

Let me make an apparently outrageous proposition: in the coming years, India’s best protection is likely to come from its traditional enemy, the Pakistan Army. Therefore, India ought to now help, not fight, against it.

This may sound preposterous. After all, the two countries have fought three and a half wars over six decades. During periods of excessive tension, they have growled at each other while meaningfully pointing towards their respective nuclear arsenals. And yet, the imperative of mutual survival makes a common defence inevitable. Given the rapidly rising threat within Pakistan, the day for joint actions may not be very far away.

Today Pakistan is bearing the brunt. Its people, government and armed forces are under unrelenting attack. South Waziristan, a war of necessity rather than of choice, will certainly not be the last one. A victory here will not end terrorism, although a stalemate will embolden jihadists in south Punjab, including Lashkar-i-Taiba and Jaish-i-Mohammad. The cancer of religious militancy has spread across Pakistan, and it will take decades to defeat.

This militancy does not merely exist because America occupies Afghanistan. A US withdrawal, while welcome, will not end Pakistan’s problems. As an ideological movement, the jihadists want to transform society as part of their wider agenda. They ride on the backs of their partners, the mainstream religious political parties like the Jamaat-i-Islami and Jamiat-i-Ulema-Pakistan. None of these have condemned the suicide bombings of Pakistani universities, schools, markets, mosques, police and army facilities.

Pakistan’s political leadership and army must not muddy the waters, especially now that public sanction has finally been obtained for fighting extremism in Swat and Waziristan. Self-deception weakens and enormously increases vulnerability. Wars can only be won if nations have a clear rallying slogan. Therefore the battle against religious extremism will require identifying it — by name — as the enemy.

A common threat needs a common defence. But this is difficult unless the Pakistan-India conflict is reduced in intensity. In fact the extremist groups that threaten both countries today are an unintended consequence of Pakistan’s frustrations at Indian obduracy in Kashmir.

It is time for India to fuzz the Line of Control, make it highly permeable and demilitarise it up to some mutually negotiated depth on both sides. Without peace in Kashmir the forces of cross-border jihad, and its hate-filled holy warriors, will continue to receive unnecessary succour.

India also needs to allay Pakistan’s fears on Balochistan. Although Pakistan’s current federal structure is the cause of the problem — a fact which the government is now finally addressing through the newly announced Balochistan package — it is nevertheless possible that India is aiding some insurgent groups. Statements have been made in India that Balochistan provides New Delhi with a handle to exert pressure on Pakistan. This is unacceptable.

While there is no magic wand, confidence-building measures (CBMs) continue to be important for managing the Pakistan-India conflict and bringing down the decibel level of mutual rhetoric. To be sure, CBMs can be easily disparaged as palliatives that do not address the underlying causes of a conflict. Nevertheless, looking at those initiated over the years shows that they have held up even in adverse circumstances. More are needed.

The writer teaches at Quaid-i-Azam University in Islamabad

DAWN.COM | Editorial | Is it really India?
I think this is the right reply for this load of BS :D

PS: I got this via email so dunno where it is posted or published some where would like to credit the writer though
Prof. Hoodbhoy,

I have been wondering what you really mean in your article. You suggest that India and Pakistan should have "joint defense".

You don't say against what? In the absence of a common enemy country or bloc, you probably mean India and Pakistan should have joint defense against extremism in Pakistan. Well, first you need to acknowledge that India has been fighting extremism from Pakistan for the last 20 years. Also, that India has kept exhorting Pakistan to fight extremism on its own(Pakistan's) account and multiple Indian governments agreed to set up institutional exchanges on joint action on extremism. Yet Pakistan refuses to shut down jihadi groups in Pakistan.

So perhaps in advocating a joint defence, you actually mean India should submit to Pakistani demands on many matters of interest to the Pakistan Army including Kashmir.

Yet, you don't explain why India's surrender to a 20-year long extremist movement launched from Pakistan in Indian Kashmir and rest of India will make India safer from extremism. After all, the Soviet exit from Afghanistan did not end extremism emanating from Pakistan in Afghanistan, did it? Not even the sacrifice of a million Afghans' lives in the subsequent civil war and Afghan acceptance of Pakistan Army supported Taliban rule brought an end to extremism in Afghanistan emanating from Pakistan.

In addition, you threaten that Indian Muslims will also get radicalized if India does not yield to Pakistan's extremist-led agenda on Kashmir. Again, that is wishful thinking. Submitting to extremism does not end extremism, it feeds it,

The fundamental problem lies in your framing of the Muslim/Islamic extremism issue - that the well being of Muslims in Pakistan requires sacrifice from Indians and/or others. In the guise of a solution, you are setting negative goals for Indians and no positive goals for Muslims/Pakistanis.

You are not alone in falsely setting Indian sacrifice as the necessary prerequisite for Pakistani well-being - this has been happening since the early 1900s. Churchill did it too. He told the Americans during WWII that if a constituent assembly or national government reflecting the true majority of Hindus was constituted, the Muslims in the Indian Army would refuse to fight the War. Churchill even lied about the Muslim percentage in the Indian Army to get Americans to acquiesce in denying India a constitution and self-rule. The positive goal of Muslim self-governance could wait and the Hindu right to self-rule needed to be sacrificed to keep Muslims and Britain happy. (Let it be pointed out that merely forcing such sacrifice could not block Indians from ultimately achieving their positive goals of a constitution and self-rule).

Not just Churchill, Jinnah also set sacrifice by Hindus as the prerequisite for Muslim well-being. He framed Muslim rights/ nationalism/sovereignty as achievable only as negative goals for Hindus, not positive ones for Muslims - he threatened to destroy India if it was not divided.

He refused to accept any common accepted principle for the division, he just demanded as big a Pakistan as he could think of - provinces, princely states, land corridors. Once India was divided, he refused to settle the matter of the princely states on any commonly accepted principle - even with respect to Hyderabad and Kashmir he preferred to depend on force to overcome Indian disagreement. In his rhetoric and negotiations, he always cast achievement of Muslims' rights/ nationalism/ sovereignty as a zero sum game which required the cost of the share/rights/sovereignty of Hindus/others.

There is no evidence to this day that it needs to be so. Yet, today like Churchill and Jinnah, you too view India-Pakistan welfare as a zero sum game. You decree that peace, moderation and the well-being of Muslims in Pakistan can only happen with sacrifice of Indian interests. You seem to suggest that India must not continue to protect its interests in Kashmir nor defend the principles on which Indians interests are based. You do not suggest a commonly accepted principle on which India and Pakistan could operate and reach agreement - you simply decree that India must 'visibly' fulfill whatever agenda Muslims in Pakistan have been pursuing with the help of extremists, or suffer even more loss. All the effort must come from Indians, the Pakistani state sending mass murderers to India owe nothing to no-one.

You also don't even offer a win-win type of argument such as, that Pakistanis cannot prosper when jihadi activities and the Pak Army agenda infringe on the public space, the economy and policy making, hence India should cooperate with Pakistan for a joint economic policy, a joint trade policy, or a joint water management/agricultural policy for the welfare of ordinary people in Pakistan (and India). Again, you don't mention any of that, you simply lay down that the Indian state should submit to jihadi extremist agenda emanating from Pakistan under tutelage of the Pakistan Army, under your threat of even more such extremist violence.

Peace will come and extremism will end in Pakistan, you seem to argue, not by Pakistanis creating positive narratives/goals for themselves and their neighbourhood, and by fighting extremism and its negative narratives against enemies. You rather argue that peace and moderation will only come if India pays up the demanded extortion cost to Pakistan's extremist-run agenda in Kashmir.

Unfortunately, I doubt even the most 'liberal' Indians today mistake your negative goals for India as a recipe for lasting peace, so please stop insisting that Indian sacrifice is necessary for Pakistan's well-being.

You should also realize that Indians find nothing new in the sight of Pakistanis threatening Indians or others with religious extremism. The whole region's population, whether Indians, East Bengalis or Afghans, has by now learnt to fight to the death the Pakistan Army and its negative goals in defence of their own positive goals. When the Pakistan Army has positive goals to offer Indians and others, let us know.

ppgj

Dec 1, 2009
US stalls as Pakistan drifts
By Syed Saleem Shahzad

ISLAMABAD - Three developments over the past few days have dealt a severe setback to the designs of the United States in the South Asian theater of war.

Firstly, Taliban leader Mullah Omar last week rejected any possibility of talks with Afghan President Hamid Karzai or the United States, indicating that the only way towards peace was for foreign troops to leave Afghanistan.

Then, as war rages against Muslim militants in Pakistan's tribal areas, the chief of army staff, General Ashfaq Parvez Kiani, shocked secular elements in the country by saying that "no one can separate Islam and Pakistan" and that the goal was to turn the country into a true Islamic state.

And thirdly, as Asia Times Online predicted, President Asif Ali Zardari issued an amended ordinance at the weekend in which he abdicated as chairman of the Nuclear Command Authority and transferred command of the country's nuclear arsenal to Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gillani. (See Pakistan's military stays a march ahead November 25, 2009)

Mullah Omar's statement is likely to derail any attempts at negotiations in Afghanistan, even at the level of junior Taliban commanders. Kiani's statement, meanwhile, can be expected to demoralize secular forces such as the Pashtun sub-nationalist Awami National Party in North-West Frontier Province.

The message is that their role is limited and no matter the hostilities between the Pakistani military and Muslim militants, secular forces will never be allowed to influence broader strategic matters; that is, only Islamic ideology and its flag bearers can have control.

Zardari's handing over of power over the nuclear arsenal is the beginning of the collapse of the Western-hatched secular and liberal coalition in Islamabad.

With the National Reconciliation Ordinance (NRO) having expired on November 28, analysts believe that early next month many politicians could find themselves in court. The NRO, issued on October 5, 2007, granted amnesty to politicians, political workers and bureaucrats who were accused of corruption, embezzlement, money-laundering, murder and terrorism between January 1, 1986, and October 12, 1999. Some of the main beneficiaries were Zardari and several present cabinet members.

Those most affected will be politicians from the ruling Pakistan People's Party (PPP) (corruption cases) and its ally, the Muttehida Quami Movement (criminal cases). In this situation, opposition parties like the Pakistan Muslim League-Nawaz (PML-N) will mount additional pressure on the ruling coalition to resign and call mid-term elections.

The PML-N, the second-largest political party in parliament and led by former premier Nawaz Sharif, and all other opposition parties have unanimously demanded the resignation of Zardari and cabinet members who are alleged to have taken advantage of the NRO.

Zardari has resisted the demands. His approach appears to be an attempt to heal his rift with the military and regain its backing. His move over the nuclear weapons can be viewed in this light - the military is known to have been uneasy with Zardari's control of the arsenal as it believes he is too close to the US.

At the same time, Zardari is preparing to take on the opposition by curtailing sections of the media critical of him.

Last week, Zardari delivered a speech on the occasion of the PPP's 42nd anniversary. For security reasons, the speech was delivered from the president's residence in the capital, Islamabad, and telecast directly to a stadium in the southern port city of Karachi.

Other speakers at the gathering criticized a television talk show host, Dr Shahid Masood, whom they accused of trying to destabilize the rule of the PPP.

Masood, executive director of Geo TV and a campaigner against the NRO, had announced that after a message from the Pakistani government, the United Arab Emirates (UAE) government had banned the broadcast of his show from its Dubai studio. Masood also said he had received threats that if he ever dared to telecast his show from Pakistan, his life would be endangered.

"I told the prime minister [Gillani] when I was visiting Islamabad, that your boss [Zardari] has directly given me threats," Masood told Asia Times Online by telephone from the UAE.

Masood has been a household name for Pakistani television viewers for the past nine years. Politically, he was close to the PPP from his days as a medical student, and after joining the electronic media he was considered very close to slain Benazir Bhutto, Zardari's wife and former leader of the PPP.

But after Zardari's PPP won elections and he was made president in September 2008, Masood fell out with the PPP and joined hands with the civil society movement that was calling for the restoration of the judiciary that had been sacked by former military ruler General Pervez Musharraf. He subsequently took a stance against the NRO.

Masood's conversation with Gillani was strictly private and cannot be made public, but it is well known that there is a cold war between the prime minister and Zardari. Gillani has on several occasions called on the president to resign.

Zardari appears to believe in the saying, "Better the devil you know than the devil you don't"; besides, sacking the prime minister or forcing his resignation would expose differences within the PPP and open the doors of internal dissension.

Zardari, widely known as "Mr 10%", also has his hands full in fending off criticism. He was the center of so much ridicule through a text message campaign that in July Interior Minister Rehman Malik announced that the Federal Investigation Agency had been tasked to trace text messages and e-mails that "slander the political leadership of the country", under the vague Cyber Crimes Act. In response, people simply started using code words for the president and some television stations produced new satires about Zardari.

Apart from occasional excursions, Zardari has fortified himself in the presidential palace, and he even reportedly berated PPP leaders when they advised him to visit the military's General Headquarters Rawalpindi after militants attacked the building on October 10.

Zardari has delegated many of his duties to his sister, Faryal Talpur, or to associates from his days in jail from the mid-1990s to 2004 on various corruption charges. These include Dr Abdul Qayyum Soomro. his physician while he was imprisoned; Senator Syed Faisal Raza Abedi, a fellow inmate turned politician; Senator Islamuddin Sheikh, a former leader of the Pakistan Muslim League linked to corruption charges; and Salman Farooqui, who was a co-accused of Zardari and who is now his principal secretary.

The US will be closely following Zardari's difficulties, as his political demise will end its attempt to put a friendly face on the "war on terror" which Pakistan is waging on Washington's behalf.

In turn, this would have a direct impact on how vigorously the Pakistani military continued its war on militants in the tribal areas, as well as the fortunes of the Taliban-led insurgency across the border in Afghanistan.

Syed Saleem Shahzad is Asia Times Online's Pakistan Bureau Chief. He can be reached at [email protected]

(Copyright 2009 Asia Times Online (Holdings) Ltd. All rights reserved. Please contact us about sales, syndication and republishing.)

Asia Times Online :: South Asia news, business and economy from India and Pakistan

enlightened1

Member of The Month JANUARY 2010
I think this is the right reply for this load of BS :D

PS: I got this via email so dunno where it is posted or published some where would like to credit the writer though
Hi nitesh,
it was published here

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles