New Ishapore`s Assult Rifle Goes Into Production

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag
I've seen a lot of policemen in Chennai with AK's but not with a 303. 303's are not in service anywhere in India. You must've seen Ishapore 2A1 rifle.

BTW, the police security outside the US consulate in Chennai carry AK's with modified stocks. And the airport security carries INSAS.
my bad they are Ishapore 2A1 rifle. and it is not about airport security yaar talking about every cop performing daily duties the cops in my town still use them but modernization is under way my point is instead of buying from out side we can equip our own Ak variat to the police forces

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

=========
=========

INSAS Excalibur in Service >>

May be in 7.62x39mm, Its very possible ..

pmaitra

The OP (ToI article) talks about AK-47 based rifle, and Saurabh Jha's Tweet talks about Excalibur. Are we talking about the same thing here? I know OFB has its own AKM based rifle which looks rather different from Excalibur.

Very confusing.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
The OP (ToI article) talks about AK-47 based rifle, and Saurabh Jha's Tweet talks about Excalibur. Are we talking about the same thing here? I know OFB has its own AKM based rifle which looks rather different from Excalibur.

Very confusing.
No, they are different.

Excalibur rifle is 5.56mm
Ishapore rifle is 7.62mm

sydsnyper

Country flag
Indian Public Sector Units really need to understand the importance of presentability. While there is a huge new item announcing the manufacture of a homegrown brand of rifles, they could not as much as release some official pics or a simple infographic of how it is beneficial over the current AKs. China learnt the art of presentability quite soon and they can hold a world class show of their products. Also there was this case of a slightly worn MCIWS in the 2014 defence expo. Stupid of them if you ask me.

The funniest part is the media, cutting, pasting & photoshopping whatever gun images they find on the web to go with their article.... :facepalm:

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Any idea on the final number of guns to be produced? Initial production is 50000 units but that is not enough for our army.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
According to report, Only first phase will get a 50,000 units, Sound similar to Number of AK bought for CT some years back ..

Any idea on the final number of guns to be produced? Initial production is 50000 units but that is not enough for our army.

sgarg

Fully support OFB efforts to supply infantry. All OFB units should have sufficient orders. Rifles should be kept in reserve also, so there is a case for building rifles more than actual requirements.

Small weapons should always be there is large quantities. Rifles, bullets, items of personal protection etc. should be made on a regular basis and in large numbers.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
OFB set up Excalibur manufacturing back in 2004, In my view the Excalibur is coming up with 7.62x39mm ..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
All Foreign Assault Rifle under trial failed under Indian conditions.

The Indian Army began the final round of confirmatory trials in support of its requirement for 44,618 close quarter battle (CQB) 5.56 mm carbines and 33.6 million rounds of ammunition on 9 June, defence industry officials told IHS Jane's .

The Beretta ARX-160, Colt M4, and Israel Weapon Industries (IWI) Galil Ace carbines will undergo a series of tests at army establishments and weapon-testing facilities until the end of July. These include weapon sights, furniture, and ammunition trials.

The competing guns will also undergo a "mud test" to gauge their ability to operate in poor conditions, an evaluation all three failed during trials in 2012 in the Rajasthan desert and high-altitude regions.
Source : Indian Army kicks off final carbine trials - IHS Jane's 360

=========
=========

============================
============================

Ishapore rifle factory design Rifle goes into mass production ..

KOLKATA: Rifle Factory, Ishapore, one of the oldest ordnance factories in the country, has successfully designed an assault rifle on the lines of the AK-47.Sources in the Ordnance Factory Board said the prototype of this weapon had successfully cleared field trials by the Army, the Indian Air Force and the Sashastra Seema Bal. The Ishapore factory will soon start production of 50,000 units of this rifle in the first phase.

For over a decade now, the Ordnance Factory Board has been attempting to develop an indigenous assault rifle on the lines of the AK-47. Initially, there was some embarrassment after an ordnance factory displayed an indigenous replica of the AK-47 at a defence expo in Delhi. This didn't go unnoticed and Mikhail Kalashnikov, the inventor of the world's most sold and used assault rifle that goes by his name, threatened to file a copyright violation suit against the Indian ordnance factory.

"Since then, our designers have been attempting to develop an assault rifle, using the AK-47 as a model but without replicating any of its mechanism. Three ordnance factories tried to develop their own variants. These were Rifle Factory of Ishapore, the Small Arms Factory of Kanpur and the Ordnance Factory of Tiruchirapalli. The Ishapore factory has a long history of developing and making rifles. During the World Wars, this factory produced .303 bolt-action rifles for the Allied forces. After the 1962 Sino-India conflict, the factory developed and built the 7.62mm self-loading semi-automatic rifle. This rifle was called the Ishapore Rifle and it went on to become the mainstay for the Indian security forces for several decades. In the 90's, the factory started manufacturing the 5.56mm Insas rifles that are still the primary personal weapon of the Indian infantryman," an official said.

The three factories at Ishapore, Kanpur and Tiruchirapalli built prototypes that underwent tests for the first time earlier this year. Minor defects were detected in all three variants. While the one developed by the Ishapore factory was declared fit in all other aspects, it failed to operate successfully in mud. An assault rifle has to be effective in all conditions, even when fired from under slush.

"This defect was rectified subsequently and when the final round of tests was conducted, the Ishapore variant was declared the best. This is an improved version of any assault rifle and the designers borrowed several facets from the 5.56mm Insas, which was also developed at Ishapore, while making this rifle. With the Insas going out of production, facilities at the Ishapore factory were lying idle. The new order will sustain the factory for the times to come," the official added.
Source :

India Develops AK-47 Variant
Ishapore factory develops Indian variant of AK-47 | idrw.org
Ishapore factory develops Indian variant of AK-47 - The Times of India
Ishapore factory develops Indian variant of AK-47 - The Economic Times

==================
==================
==================
==================

^^ Explains ...

salute

According to report, Only first phase will get a 50,000 units, Sound similar to Number of AK bought for CT some years back ..
why don't indian govt. put indian pvt.sector in weapon business the whole thing from designing to production because drdo ,ofb like govt. companys cannot compete with foreign companies.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Few points here ..

1. 1B1 under service is 60% made by Private co, And rest 40% is made by OFB ..

2. Pvt sector is better off serial production than R&D this is due to national security ..

3. Their are no companies in India that can invest the amount similar to DRDO in R&D as they will go bankrupt ..

why don't indian govt. put indian pvt.sector in weapon business the whole thing from designing to production because drdo ,ofb like govt. companys cannot compete with foreign companies.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Few points here ..

3. Their are no companies in India that can invest the amount similar to DRDO in R&D as they will go bankrupt ..
I will have to disagree on this one. There is lots of cash in the market. If you remember even mahindra wanted to develop a rifle along with steyr 5-6 years back.
I really doubt it would take more than 10-20 crores to develop a gun, even if they have to start from scratch. by scratch i mean buying land for R&D centre and building a fresh team.

As per me:
1) issue is more to do with certainty, certainty that they will get sufficient orders even if their gun passes gun trails.
2) Policy Framework does not exist for such a endeavour which makes it risky. ex: How will they develop a gun if they are not allowed to buy or make prohibited bore ammunition.
3) Even if they did their part, assurance that Govt/defence would do their part in a timely manner. unreasonable delays are a loss especially if it is a new company.

There is a higher chance for assault weapon to be made by private players if govt. announces a competition like in U.S or Russia, with assurance that they will get the order if they win the competition. Say they are able to make a gun for 25k, almost a million guns at 25k a pop is a lot of dough. 10-20 crores is peanuts to what they might earn.

Last edited:

Hari Sud

Country flag
Pardon me for asking; but I see no picture of new Ishapore rifle, which passed all the tests and about 50,000 of these are being made in the first phase. There are photoshop copies of several rifles invluding Trichy, but none Ishapore rifle.

While you post a picture, please tell me that, are we going to standardize this as an Indian Army assault rifle or just a rifle to meet greater demands of the police forces in the country.

Spindrift

As far as DRDO's (IOF) R&D for small arms is concerned, they are not doing any which can be termed as significant. It's mostly cut and paste.

As per the information on IOF's site they have been around from 1787 (Indian Ordnance Factories: History), but they have till now not even come up with a locally designed pistol.

Setting up a mid sized manufacturing unit will not cost that much.... There are a lot of players who are interested in getting into this, but the government is dragging it's feet. However, the government is planning to amend the arms act of 1959 and one of the amendments will be to exclude "parts of arms from the definition of" firearms which will allow private player to come in and help in the improvements of certain components.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I don`t disagree on the part that Successful design such as 1B1 are completely manufactured and even upgraded under Private co, And domestic competition between Pvt co ..

About my previous post, I was talking about R&D not serial production ..

There is a higher chance for assault weapon to be made by private players if govt. announces a competition like in U.S or Russia, with assurance that they will get the order if they win the competition. Say they are able to make a gun for 25k, almost a million guns at 25k a pop is a lot of dough. 10-20 crores is peanuts to what they might earn.
==================

As far as i remember IA never issued any requirement for Pistol, We are doing great with FN35 or even Glock 17 ..

As a user i think its quite significant that our 1B1s are working everyday fine in line of fire where famed AR are falling down, Kindly re-read the thread And STOP bumping in between with knee-jerking points ------ > Please.

As far as DRDO's (IOF) R&D for small arms is concerned, they are not doing any which can be termed as significant. It's mostly cut and paste.

As per the information on IOF's site they have been around from 1787 (Indian Ordnance Factories: History), but they have till now not even come up with a locally designed pistol.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles