New Assault Rifles for Indian Army

Which Contender`s Rifle has more chances of winning than others?

• Total voters

AprilLyrics

no offensive.why dont India try to make another rifle urself or combine with other contouries to make a new rifle.or,just modify INSAS.we all know when M16 came to world,its not a good rifle either.but after decades,it developed to so many branches and became a great rifle.u cant expect a rifle to be world-class since it comes to birth.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
no offensive.why dont India try to make another rifle urself or combine with other contouries to make a new rifle.or,just modify INSAS.we all know when M16 came to world,its not a good rifle either.but after decades,it developed to so many branches and became a great rifle.u cant expect a rifle to be world-class since it comes to birth.
Indian problem like the Chinese ones is not design but the production... design may be good but production standards let down a good design.

Same is the case China..... they all want cheap goods.

AprilLyrics

Indian problem like the Chinese ones is not design but the production... design may be good but production standards let down a good design.

Same is the case China..... they all want cheap goods.
production?china seems dont have such problem~

while the point is,since u already have so many INSAS,u can just modify it.buying new guns means a lot of money,and those INSAS r wasted.

mikhail

Country flag
A country buy everything can talk about "copy"? wake up, my friend, just show me what you can make? You even copy you language.
hello my little(3 feet tall) chinese funny looking guy.r u trollin again in indian forums?don't u have anything better to do!ohh i think u r just one of those chipandas recruited by cccp to bash India!
china literally copies everything from a hairpin to a MBT from the western countries.chinese people r merely a bunch of buffons who have masterd the art of stealing from others.even ur so called norico qz-95 bullpup ar is a cheap copy of some western ar.so before talkin sh** plz try to improve the global image of ur country which is regarded as a thief by most of the developed countries!:laugh::taunt:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
production?china seems dont have such problem~

while the point is,since u already have so many INSAS,u can just modify it.buying new guns means a lot of money,and those INSAS r wasted.
QBZ-95 have deign problems don`t know abt quality..

INSAS is for regulars and will be untill F-INSAS`s Rifle see production, These Rifles are for PARA units which are using AKM and VZ-58..

mikhail

Country flag
INSAS is for regulars and will be untill F-INSAS`s Rifle see production, These Rifles are for PARA units which are using AKM and VZ-58..
kunal sir afaik our para batallions rhave been equipped with tavor-21 bullpup ar.but i didn't know that they r still using akms n vz-58s.n btw can u shed some light on the current status of the trichi assault rifle plz,i am searching for its current status with IA but haven't found it yet.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
kunal sir afaik our para batallions rhave been equipped with tavor-21 bullpup ar.but i didn't know that they r still using akms n vz-58s.n btw can u shed some light on the current status of the trichi assault rifle plz,i am searching for its current status with IA but haven't found it yet.
Cant say abt Trichi assault rifle, Probably it will be in RFI..

PARA SF use TAR-21 & M4 carbine, Regular PARA using AKMs and VZ-58..

mikhail

Country flag

recently i read somewhere that the trichy ar was successfully field tested by IA.is it true?if it is true then why the IA isn't inducting it as the ar for our infantry regiments!i mean they r built by our own OFB so it will be easy to get them mass produced n secondly when we have a good rifle in trichy ar why should we spend our taxpayers's hard earned money in buying some foreign ar!can u shed some light in this matter sir?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I dont know abt its field trail reports on web, though Trichi says it reliable as AKM with 400m range with M43..

It does have potential but that just me, Lets see how thing take shape..

mikhail

Country flag
I dont know abt its field trail reports on web, though Trichi says it reliable as AKM with 400m range with M43..

i would love to see our IA inducting trichy ar in the infantry regiments.i mean i have read that it is a quite reliable weapon plus its got a picatinny rail mounted on it.so we can put some reflex sights on it n can make it a fine ar.btw which ar should become the infantry rifle indian armed forces according to u?

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag

Dont think it will hit targets at 400 mts unless it has a very long barell.If the regular para wants a lighter rifle firing m43 runds why dont they ask the makers of vz58s to provide vz58s with all the upgrades like railings,grey colour,optical sights and frnt hand guards.
Even though the production was stopped in 1980s they could provide us rifles if we put a huge order.Plus there are about 100s of thousands of vz58s in their stores whch didn't saw light till this date.remember vz weights 3.2 kg and it is the most preferref weapon of SF due to being light and reliable.AK103 could also be better choice compared to ace and bulgarian akm.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
i would love to see our IA inducting trichy ar in the infantry regiments.i mean i have read that it is a quite reliable weapon plus its got a picatinny rail mounted on it.so we can put some reflex sights on it n can make it a fine ar.btw which ar should become the infantry rifle indian armed forces according to u?
If you heard it is a reliable weapon then it is erely a hoax coz it is yet to be inducted nd it is not yet finished production and only a very little info is available and that too from OFB.Pls dont take the words of OFB 100% true.
Let the rifle rolled out of factry then only we could judge it.
railings could be fitted with almost all rifles so are optical sights.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag

Special Forces to be Equipped with Machine Guns

After floating a tender for rifles to arm its infantry troops, the Indian Army is planning to issue a tender worth around USD 30 million dollar global request for proposal for equipping its Special Forces with General Purpose Machine Guns (GPMGs).

We are desirous of procuring GPMG for the 11 Parachute (Special Forces) Battalions of Indian Army and we are going to issue a tender worth USD 28 million soon, Army sources said to defencenow.com.

The Indian Army has 11 Special Forces battalions under the Parachute regiment and has deployed them in conflict zones in the Northeast and Jammu and Kashmir.

Sources said the tender will be issued to companies from Israel, Belgium, Switzerland but more companies can be invited for the bidding process depending on the response to the Request for Information issued recently.

It should be ideally suited for as a Squad Automatic Weapon for the Special Forces and should be able to be used as a multipurpose weapon intended to fill the role of Light Machine Gun and a Medium Machine Gun, they said.

The Army wants that the global rifle should be able to fire ammunition produced in Indian Ordnance factories and be able to sustain the rigours of airborne operations.
i woud like to see more PKMS.

Last edited:

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag

Don't think the new rifle is only to replace aks and vzs completely from para coz regular paras has only 3 battallions and 66000 rfles are a huge sum.I think the new rifle is to replace east german akms .(india had imported exactly the same amount of east german Mpis in 1987 ie 66000 nos.)

lemontree

Professional
Don't think the new rifle is only to replace aks and vzs completely from para coz regular paras has only 3 battallions and 66000 rfles are a huge sum.I think the new rifle is to replace east german akms .(india had imported exactly the same amount of east german Mpis in 1987 ie 66000 nos.)
There are 10 para battalions and not 3. Seven of these battalions are SF units. Apart from these you have a Para mech inf unit, para arty and para medical battalion. Besides you have another division of SFF that has to be equipped with TAR-21s. The Paras are doing away with the AKMs and Vz58s; these may go to the para-military units.

Last edited:

hitesh

For infantry AK 108 is the best choice cheap,reliable as ak47 ,good accuracy , Commonality in AK parts .

Caliber: 5.45x39mm (5,56x45NATO for AK108)
Action: Gas operated, rotating bolt with 2 lugs, balanced bolt-carrier/bolt group to reduce recoil jumping
Length: 943 / 700 mm
Barrel lenght: 415 mm
Sighting range,m: 1000
Weigth: 3.8 kg empty
Magazine capacity: 30 rounds
Rate of fire: 850 (900 for AK108) rounds per minute

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
There are 10 para battalions and not 3. Seven of these battalions are SF units. Apart from these you that a Para mech inf unit, para arty and para medical battalion. Besides you have another division of SFF that has to be equipped with TAR-21s. The Paras are doing away with the AKMs and Vz58s; these may go to the para-military units.
i was only referring to regular paras who are armed with aks not para SF .
Why there is an obsession with army to quip its forces with tar21 which costs approx 2 lakh rupees where as we could get any nice weapon at a value less than 1 lakh and with the rest of the money we could buy better body,aromur,commn systems ,thermal imagers,navigation system etc.
As far i know sig552,ak103,hk416 all are best suited for commandos, plus most of the specops raids are cqb and ct like ones so why a 5.56 rifle in place of a 7.62mm rifle

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
There are 10 para battalions and not 3. Seven of these battalions are SF units. Apart from these you that a Para mech inf unit, para arty and para medical battalion. Besides you have another division of SFF that has to be equipped with TAR-21s. The Paras are doing away with the AKMs and Vz58s; these may go to the para-military units.
i was only referring to regular paras who are armed with aks not para SF .
Why there is an obsession with army to quip its forces with tar21 which costs approx 2 lakh rupees where as we could get any nice weapon at a value less than 1 lakh and with the rest of the money we could buy better body,aromur,commn systems ,thermal imagers,navigation system etc. As far i know sig552,ak103,hk416 all are best suited for commandos, plus most of the specops raids are cqb and ct like ones so why a 5.56 rifle in place of a 7.62mm rifle
The actual count is not know but its around 15 battalions, 3 of them are PARA, 2 TA, 2 to 3 RR, Unknown are in Mech inf, PARA arty, And Medical battalions ..

The number is 66 000 which will be cut in half coz rest will be in store, Half of them will be Operational..

TAR-21 is purchased coz its a bullpup with a barrel length more less of a M-16 and size of a AKM or shorter, Its not for show offs but Practical in CT operations as well as in conventional war at longer ranges..

I would support your argument if you are appling it for Regular RR forces, This boys are in constant battles and need better weaponry, This guys approve most 7.62 x 39mm, Its very possible these Rifles may be targeted for RR..

Also It can be for Newly Raised Mountain Infantry the Number is around 90,000 men, And from Personal experience also many in RR, M43 and 7.62 nato Preform better in mountains or High altitudes..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles