Multi Role Helicopters (MRH) to be inducted into Indian Navy

WolfPack86

Country flag
Indian Navy benefits from Pentagon paranoia over China

To say the Pentagon is concerned about China’s military expansion would be an understatement — just ask the Indian Navy.

According to a report by Paul McLeary for Breaking Defense, the US government was in such a hurry to get sub-hunting helicopters into the hands of the Indian Navy that the Americans gave up some of their own helicopters to fill a rushed delivery early next year.

“This really was one of the higher priorities the [Indian] navy had, to get these aircraft delivered,” Tom Kane, director of Sikorsky’s Naval Helicopter Programs told reporters last week. “I requested that the aircraft be made available on an accelerated basis. So I think there is an urgent need.”

The urgency stems from the decade-long process India has undergone to replace its aging fleet of British-made naval helicopters, as Chinese navy ships, underwater drones and so-called maritime militia civilian-flagged fishing boats spread further into the Indian Ocean, Breaking Defense reported.

With New Delhi in a hurry to begin getting the state-of-the-art helicopters into use, and the US government eager to pull India closer as a hedge against growing Chinese naval capabilities, the US Navy allowed Sikorsky to take three of its brand new MH-60R Sea Hawks and begin modifying them to Indian standards to deliver next spring.

According to The Economic Times, the US$28 million “Romeo” Seahawk helicopters have advanced combat systems like sensors, missiles, and torpedoes to track and hunt enemy boats and submarines — enough to strike fear in a submarine Captain’s mind.

The Navy will receive new MH-60R’s in a few years to replace them. The remaining 21 helicopters will be delivered in 2023 and 2024, Breaking Defense reported.

Most of the changes being made to the aircraft are in the communications and data sharing realm, Kane told reporters.

“They want the ability to talk to their satellites obviously, so there’s an Indian indigenous SATCOM data link. Also,they can talk to their ships so there’s a link to that they’ve asked us to install, and there’s some other modifications like a floatation system, and other things that we’ll have to [change] from the standard US Navy configuration,” he added.

The MH-60R was born to be a sub hunter, however, and that mission will remain central to the Indian configuration, Breaking Defense reported.

“They’ll come off the line as ASW [anti-submarine warfare] aircraft so they’ll have the active dipping sonar,” the AN/APS-153 radar “and things that you would normally see on a US Navy configuration,” Kane told reporters.

According to Defense News, the helicopters are to be armed with multi-mode radar, Hellfire missiles, Mark 54 torpedoes and precision-kill rockets.

They are also to be used in limited intelligence gathering roles, for surveillance missions, and in search and rescue efforts, Defense News reported.

The deal is the largest contract Sikorsky has signed with the Indian government. Unlike most other programs, it’s not subject to the “Make in India” effort launched by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Breaking Defense reported.

The company did not sign an offset agreement with India on the project, “so we will put more indirect work over in India,” Kane said.

The Indian defense industry will also likely be involved in any maintenance and retrofit efforts on the aircraft in the coming years.

WolfPack86

Country flag
Modi 2.0 Anniversary: From MH-60 Romeo Helicopters To R-27 Missiles, Major Defence Deals Inked By The Govt In Last One Year
One of the cornerstones of the Prime Minister Narendra Modi-led NDA government’s policy framework has been the strengthening and modernisation of the armed forces to safeguard and protect the nation from any external threat or act of war from a foreign adversary.

The Modi 2.0 government has been at the forefront in leaving no stone upturned to strengthen the nation’s defence through its policy of equipping and arming the defence forces with the cutting edge weapon systems and augmenting the military might of the nation.

While the Modi government continues to push and promote its focus on self reliance and indigenisation in defence manufacturing and production through its well crafted ‘Make In India’ via public private partnership, it has also been proactive in inking major deals to purchase state-of-art and the best-in-class weaponry from the world leaders nations like the United States, Israel, Russia in defence and security system.

Since romping home to power for a second successive term on May 30, 2019 post a landslide win in the General Elections, the PM Modi-led NDA govt better known as ‘Modi 2.0’ in political parlance, has inked some major game changing deals to equip, modernise and bolster the armoury and arsenal of the armed forces.

The ‘Modi 2.0’ Sarkar has a holistic and long term vision to add muscle and teeth to all the three arms by purchasing attack helicopters, anti-aircraft missiles, rifles and light machine guns

Here are some of the major defence deals signed by Modi 2.0 government during its one year of completion at office –

1. India Inks USD 3 Billion Deal With United States For Buying 24 MH-60 Romeo And Apache Helicopters – Feb 26

The Modi-led NDA government signed a whooping USD 3 billion deal with the United States on February 26 for purchasing 24 MH-60R Romeo helicopters for the Indian Navy and six AH-64E Apache attack helicopters for the Indian Army.

The multi-billion helicopter deal will prove pivotal in enhancing the aerial combativeness and surveillance capabilities of both the Indian Navy and Indian Army.

The MH-60R Romeo helicopters built by Lockheed Martin will replace India’s old fleet of British-made Sea King choppers. The MH-60 Romeo choppers will be acquired by the Indian Navy after several failed attempts to replace their aging Sea King fleet. The Apache helicopters are replacements for the Russian origin Mi-35s and are known for their ability to take down high-value targets.

2. India Inks Rs 1,500 Crore Deal With Russia To Buy R-27 Missiles – July, 2019

The Indian Air Force (IAF) signed a Rs 1500 crores deal with Russia for buying R-27 air-to-air missiles. The missiles will be fitted on the IAF’s multi-role Su-30MKI fighter jet. The missiles will further boost the air-to-air combat capability of the Indian Air Force.

“A contract has been signed with Russia for the acquisition of R-27 air-to-air missile to be fitted on the Su-30MKI combat aircraft fleet of the Indian Air Force,” government sources said.

The R-27 missile is designed to destroy air targets in adverse weather conditions at any time of day.

3. India and Israel Sign Rs 880 Crore Defence Deal – March 19, 2020

On March 19, 2020, the Indian Armed Forces operating under the Ministry of Defence signed a Rs 880 crore agreement with the Israel Weapons Industry (IWI) to procure 16,479 Negev Light Machine Guns (LMGs).

The Light Machine Gun (LMG) is a very important weapon used by the infantry troops of the Indian Army deployed at the forward post along the Line of Control (LoC) and International Border (IB) to carry out fire assault on enemy posts, bunkers and vantage points as and when the conditions deem such an action to be taken.

First introduced by Israel Weapons Industry in 2012, the Negev NG-7 7.62×51mm is in service with the Israel Defence Forces and several other militaries around the world. With a barrel length of 508 mm, the LMG can be fired in the semi-automatic and fully automatic modes as well be used to lob grenades.

4. Modi Govt Spends Rs 8,500 Crores To Procure Spice-2000, Strum Ataka ATGMs

Just after 50 days of completing its second term in office post winning the 2019 Lok Sabha elections with a thumping majority, the Modi government swung into action to fulfil its commitment on strengthening the defence forces by spending Rs 8,500 crores in procuring missiles such as the Spice-2000, Strum Ataka ATGMs and a large number of spares under the emergency procurement route.

After the barbaric attack carried out by Pak-backed terrorists on security forces in Kashmir’s Pulwama, the Union government had vested emergency powers to the three services to buy whatever equipment is required by them for safeguarding the borders with Pakistan.

WolfPack86

Country flag
Indian Navy to receive first Sikorsky MH-60R Seahawk helicopters in 2020
Lockheed Martin, the parent company of Sikorsky, was recently awarded a USD 905 million contract to deliver 24 MH-60Rs to the Indian Navy.

The contract, being executed under the U.S. Foreign Military Sales (FMS) program, was awarded by the U.S. Navy’s Naval Air Systems Command (NAVAIR).

According to the Pentagon contract announcement released at the time, three MH-60Rs are for the U.S. Navy and 21 MH-60Rs are for the government of India. With this, three MH-60Rs which were fully built and originally earmarked for the U.S. Navy will be supplied to India.

According to the new Livefist report, these three airframes will be diverted for delivery to India, which is expected later this year, after stipulated modifications. The report added that the first of the remaining 21 helicopters will be delivered in Spring 2021.

Indian Navy’s MH-60R helicopters will be based on the existing Royal Saudi Naval Forces (RSNF) MH-60R baseline with some modifications. The helicopters will replace the Navy’s aging fleet of Sikorsky UH-3H Sea King and Westland Sea King Mk.42B helicopters.

The MH-60Rs will provide the Indian Navy the capability to perform anti-surface warfare (ASuW) and anti-submarine warfare (ASW) missions along with the ability to perform secondary missions including vertical replenishment (VERTREP), search-and-rescue (SAR), and communications relay.

WolfPack86

Country flag
US Navy To Send 3 Own New MH-60 Romeos To India This Year
by Shiv Aroor

The US Navy will transfer 3 new (and undelivered) MH-60R Sea Hawk helicopters to the Indian Navy by the end of this year as part of the recent deal multi-billion deal for 24 helicopters. The deal, concluded in February this year when President Donald Trump was in India, was signed into contract on May 14 this year. While deliveries of the first six MH-60Rs was originally scheduled for next year, Livefist has learned that Sikorsky has received permission to divert three new (undelivered) MH-60Rs originally for US Navy, to the Indian Navy.

“The US Navy has allowed us to leverage three helicopters from their inventory of brand new aircraft that have never been introduced into the fleet – in order to provide them to the Indian Navy so they can begin training on a more accelerated basis than might normally be possible,” Tom Kane, Director, Sikorsky Naval Helicopter Programs told Livefist today.

On the remaining 21 helicopters, Kane said, “We are now in production of these aircraft, and we’re excited to be able to deliver the first of these aircraft to the India customer in Spring 2021.”

The three aircraft are fully built and were marked for delivery to the US Navy. After stipulated modifications, the airframes will be diverted for delivery to India. The decision taken earlier this month allows the US Government to deliver months ahead of a schedule that could otherwise see Covid19-linked delays.

“The Letter of Acceptance (LOA) signature that took place in February was between the governments of India and the United States. Upon that being finalized, there were then some administrative actions that needed to be accomplished first prior to the issuance of the contract from the U.S. Navy, which is what occurred on May 14,” Kane told Livefist earlier this month.

As Livefist reported in February during the government-to-government handshake, the arrival of the first helicopters will bring to an end a tense 14 year wait for multi-mission shipborne helicopters geared for the anti-ship and anti-submarine role. After the first 3 from the US Navy, the remaining 21 will follow a delivery schedule across 2021-22.

Several pieces of military hardware will arrive later than planned in India owing to the Covid19 pandemic, including the Indian Air Force’s new Rafale jets and the Indian Navy’s follow-on P-8Is. Both will likely arrive in July this year.

“The MH-60R offers the lowest risk and best value option because the aircraft is already in full production and globally supportable. The MH-60R provides a vital capability in the Indo-Pacific region and equips the Indian Navy with a tremendous capability that is ready for operations immediately upon delivery. We thank the government of India for its confidence in Sikorsky and look forward to supporting our partners in the Indian armed forces over the next 30 years,” Kane said in a public statement welcoming the contract earlier this month.

In foreign military sales (FMS) purchases, the Indian government signs an agreement with the US Government, which then awards a commercial delivery contract to the vendor, Sikorsky in this case. A separate contract for the weapons package is expected to be signed separately. Livefist reported details of the Indian MH-60R weapons package here.

The MH-60R entered service with the US Navy in 2006, with an intended fleet size of nearly 300 of the type.

WolfPack86

Country flag
Lockheed wins customisation contract for Indian navy MH-60Rs

Lockheed Martin has won a $375 million contract for bespoke hardware and software for India’s acquisition of 24 Sikorsky MH-60R anti-submarine warfare helicopters.

“This modification provides non-recurring efforts to design and develop unique hardware and software for the Multi-Role Helicopter MH-60R development programme for the government of India,” says a US Department of Defense contract announcement.

In May, Lockheed’s Sikorsky rotorcraft unit signed a $905 million contract with the US Navy to provide 24 MH-60Rs to the Indian navy via the US government’s Foreign Military Sales (FMS) process.
The $905 million contract was far less than the original notice, which valued the deal at $2.6 billion.

At the time of the May award, Tom Kane, director of Sikorsky naval helicopter programmes, said the $905 million would cover production of the helicopters, but that additional work would be necessary for “unique modifications and systems”.

The MH-60R is New Delhi’s second acquisition of a major US Navy anti-submarine warfare platform, following its acquisition of the Boeing P-8I Neptune in a 2009 deal.

In Indian navy service the P-8I is understood to feature several Indian-produced systems, such as Bharat Electronics identification friend or foe equipment, and a locally developed datalink.
https://www.flightglobal.com/helico...ntract-for-indian-navy-mh-60rs/138849.article

WolfPack86

Country flag
Lockheed wins customisation contract for Indian navy MH-60Rs
Lockheed Martin has won a $375 million contract for bespoke hardware and software for India’s acquisition of 24 Sikorsky MH-60R anti-submarine warfare helicopters.

“This modification provides non-recurring efforts to design and develop unique hardware and software for the Multi-Role Helicopter MH-60R development programme for the government of India,” says a US Department of Defense contract announcement.

In May, Lockheed’s Sikorsky rotorcraft unit signed a $905 million contract with the US Navy to provide 24 MH-60Rs to the Indian navy via the US government’s Foreign Military Sales (FMS) process.

The $905 million contract was far less than the original notice, which valued the deal at $2.6 billion.

At the time of the May award, Tom Kane, director of Sikorsky naval helicopter programmes, said the $905 million would cover production of the helicopters, but that additional work would be necessary for “unique modifications and systems”.

The MH-60R is New Delhi’s second acquisition of a major US Navy anti-submarine warfare platform, following its acquisition of the Boeing P-8I Neptune in a 2009 deal.

In Indian navy service the P-8I is understood to feature several Indian-produced systems, such as Bharat Electronics identification friend or foe equipment, and a locally developed datalink.

Rikbo88

Country flag
Have not been on this site for a few years. Pretty much got disgusted with the delays in the Indian Navy MRH replacement program. A shame the Indian Navy went with the MH-60R and not the S-70B. Not surprising since Lockheed basically killed the S-70B so it could have success on the international market with the 60R. The S70B, was and still is, in my opinion, far superior to the 60R. Primarily due to the avionics system. Those of you who know me know I have always been a huge advocate for the 70B. Basically due to the fact that Sikorsky designed, integrated, tested, and fielded that avionics system. At that time and even today I believe it is far superior to what is in the 60R and other ASW/ASuW aircraft. Lockheed's design just does not cut it and never will. They will never cut it, again my opinion, as a system designer and integrator. There are many reasons and I have elaborated on a lot of them in my prior posts. I wish the Indian Navy luck with their new MR-60Rs and Lockheed. They will be in for quite a ride. With all that said, the 60R is still a better choice than the NH-90, that freakin aircraft is a real disaster.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Have not been on this site for a few years. Pretty much got disgusted with the delays in the Indian Navy MRH replacement program. A shame the Indian Navy went with the MH-60R and not the S-70B. Not surprising since Lockheed basically killed the S-70B so it could have success on the international market with the 60R. The S70B, was and still is, in my opinion, far superior to the 60R. Primarily due to the avionics system. Those of you who know me know I have always been a huge advocate for the 70B. Basically due to the fact that Sikorsky designed, integrated, tested, and fielded that avionics system. At that time and even today I believe it is far superior to what is in the 60R and other ASW/ASuW aircraft. Lockheed's design just does not cut it and never will. They will never cut it, again my opinion, as a system designer and integrator. There are many reasons and I have elaborated on a lot of them in my prior posts. I wish the Indian Navy luck with their new MR-60Rs and Lockheed. They will be in for quite a ride. With all that said, the 60R is still a better choice than the NH-90, that freakin aircraft is a real disaster.
Good to see you back, what a wild and frankly fruitless ride it has been. 5 years back the DAC (defence acquisition council) cleared 16(+8 follow on clause) S-70B-7 for the Indian Navy and in 2021 the first (of 24) MH-60R are to land on Indian shores this after a MRH process that began in the late 00s.

The DAC clearance came around the same time as the AH-64E and CH-47F(I) deals for the Indian Air Force but whilst those were signed a few months later (and today both fleets are 100% delivered) the S-70B floundered and eventually collapsed which I suspect is becuase LM wanted to promote the MH-60R ultimately.

I know you have highlighted it in the past but it’s been so long and I’m intrigued by your latest comments as to the structural shortcomings at LM and the MH-60R more widely vs the S-70B. I know you’ve said the S-70B is a more export-friendly system with an open architecture but you are alluding to fundamental fallacies that LM has pursued vis a vis the 60R and I’d be fascinated to learn more about this becuase there’s very little noise of this anywhere I can find.

Wisemarko

Country flag
Sikorsky designed, built and fielded the MH-60R, not Lockheed. This version was inducted in USN at HSL-41 in December 2005. Lockheed purchased Sikorsky 10 years later in 2015. So not sure about comment “LM design doesn’t cut it”

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag
Sikorsky designed, built and fielded the MH-60R, not Lockheed. This version was inducted in USN at HSL-41 in December 2005. Lockheed purchased Sikorsky 10 years later in 2015. So not sure about comment “LM design doesn’t cut it”
The requirement for MRH is 123 helicopters.
Out of that the Indian Navy has purchased 24 MH-60R.
What are your thoughts on the rest of the order?
Which helicopter would the Navy go with?

Rikbo88

Country flag
You are not correct. Sikorsky built the airframe, Lockheed designed and fielded the avionics and mission system. That’s what I said in my post. I worked for Sikorsky for 28 years. I know what I am talking about. I see the IN just awarded a contract for mods to the 60R for IN requested changes. This is how LM operates, sign a base contract then insure they have future funding by getting the customer to fund modifications or changes or fixes to functionality they claim is not covered in the base contract. Just wait and see. I have written a variety posts on DFI on why I believe the S70B avionics and mission system are superior. I suggest you find and read those posts and then we can have a further discussion if you want.

Rikbo88

Country flag
Good to see you back, what a wild and frankly fruitless ride it has been. 5 years back the DAC (defence acquisition council) cleared 16(+8 follow on clause) S-70B-7 for the Indian Navy and in 2021 the first (of 24) MH-60R are to land on Indian shores this after a MRH process that began in the late 00s.

The DAC clearance came around the same time as the AH-64E and CH-47F(I) deals for the Indian Air Force but whilst those were signed a few months later (and today both fleets are 100% delivered) the S-70B floundered and eventually collapsed which I suspect is becuase LM wanted to promote the MH-60R ultimately.

I know you have highlighted it in the past but it’s been so long and I’m intrigued by your latest comments as to the structural shortcomings at LM and the MH-60R more widely vs the S-70B. I know you’ve said the S-70B is a more export-friendly system with an open architecture but you are alluding to fundamental fallacies that LM has pursued vis a vis the 60R and I’d be fascinated to learn more about this becuase there’s very little noise of this anywhere I can find.
I’ll see if I can find my previous posts and let you know. I went into some detail contrasting the two very different architectures. I have also spoken to a number of Contact’s I have in the USN and their opinion of what has been fielded to date with the 60R are not very complementary.

Rikbo88

Country flag
Some may be confused by my references to Lockheed. There is the corporate entity that now owns a Sikorsky. (Actually a good fit and they were they best suitor for Sikorsky when UTC decided to sell them off.) My references are to Lockheed in Owego, NY where they designed the current avionics & mission system for the 60 R. I do not have a high opinion of them as an avionics/mission system designer and integrator. Lockheed Owego has always had a comfy relationship with the USN sometimes to the detriment of the USN fleet personnel who don’t get the best value for their $$, in my opinion.

Rikbo88

Country flag
To those you interested in further info, please look back to 2013-2015, around pages 6-8 in this thread. There are a variety of posts of mine that explain my opinions on a number of issues regarding the S70B. Feel free to contact me with any further questions.

Rikbo88

Country flag
If they buy 60R’s then they should stay with that model. No reason I can think of for a mixed fleet with S70B’s and many reasons that does not make sense. Maybe due to the USN/60R abandoning the ASuW mission buy removing the Penguin anti-ship missile from the 60R. S70B still has that capability. Lockheed Owego tried to push the Hellfire as a poor man’s replacement but that doesn’t have the capability to take on a frigate class ship. New generation anti-ship missile from Koenigsburg Norway would make sense to integrate if India needs that capability. Stay away from the French equivalent.

Wisemarko

Country flag
You are not correct. Sikorsky built the airframe, Lockheed designed and fielded the avionics and mission system. That’s what I said in my post. I worked for Sikorsky for 28 years. I know what I am talking about. I see the IN just awarded a contract for mods to the 60R for IN requested changes. This is how LM operates, sign a base contract then insure they have future funding by getting the customer to fund modifications or changes or fixes to functionality they claim is not covered in the base contract. Just wait and see. I have written a variety posts on DFI on why I believe the S70B avionics and mission system are superior. I suggest you find and read those posts and then we can have a further discussion if you want.
Thank you for clarification. I do not think comparing a mature but obsolete systems of S-70b with a new system with cutting edge technology is useful. That’s very akin to saying F-35 is worse than F-16 because of technical difficulties.

MH-60R is basically an upgrade of HH-60/S-70, not a clean sheet design.

SH-60F (S-70b) had its mission systems designed by IBM of Owego (not Sikorsky) that was later taken over by Lockheed. So Sikorsky was never the mission system specialist.

Yes, MH-60R has had issues with its MTS tracker, Mk-54 torpedo integration with weapon control system and classified issues with ARPDD. But none of these can take away the exceptional capacity of the newer systems, the data links, glass cockpit with night vision, ability to launch Mk54 torpedos and most importantly- full interoperability with USN assets with a click of a button.

It seems that you have an emotional connection with Sikorsky product and for a good reason. I understand. Lockheed project management can be a disaster. Also, S-70 (SH-60) was a powerful, reliable and very successful model.

But the bottom line is that no country today will buy an old system. Australians, Koreans and Saudis are all moving to new MH-60R, despite welknown teething problems. All good things come to an end. Will read your articles soon. Thank you

Wisemarko

Country flag
That’s a huge requirement and I am not sure if all of them need to be expensive and complex MH-60R or -S would suffice. I would suggest MH-60R/S alone or with complimentary local option. LM is sourcing a lot from India so offsets should not be problem. Definitely no H-225, NH-90 or AW-101.

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag
If they buy 60R’s then they should stay with that model. No reason I can think of for a mixed fleet with S70B’s and many reasons that does not make sense. Maybe due to the USN/60R abandoning the ASuW mission buy removing the Penguin anti-ship missile from the 60R. S70B still has that capability. Lockheed Owego tried to push the Hellfire as a poor man’s replacement but that doesn’t have the capability to take on a frigate class ship. New generation anti-ship missile from Koenigsburg Norway would make sense to integrate if India needs that capability. Stay away from the French equivalent.
Actually Indian Navy is getting the Norwegian Naval Strike Missile(NSM) along with the 24 MH-60R it has ordered.
Don't know the exact quantity.
India will then be the first country to operate the NSM on a rotary platform.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles