Maldives Crisis: News & Discussion

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Param

Yep either you are with them or against them. Anybody who goes against them is the "bad guy". When Mujaheedin were fighting the USSR they were great guys, but when they started killing US soldiers, they became "terrorists".
They are Hypocrites just like the rest of the world.

anoop_mig25

Country flag
what happening in our neighbouring conutries . except for bhutan all other are in some kind of mess. except may be for srilanka (i mean there president is strong to be removed by any peoples revolt or coup)

Param

One Person doesn't represent whole Srilanka..

Drop the Srilanka flame discussion out of this thread..
If the new President of Maldives is pro China or pro Pak, bringing in SL will become relevant atleast in the future.

Folk hero

when things like this happen i get a strange feeling that our government what our neighboring nations to be taken over by anti India elements like Nepal and sri lanka.:tsk:

venkat

The deposed president is born in India!!!! So unstable pak,failed coup in Bangladesh and coup in maldives caught India unawares? Are we getting encircled by Muslim extremists led govts?

trackwhack

The deposed president is born in India!!!! So unstable pak,failed coup in Bangladesh and coup in maldives caught India unawares? Are we getting encircled by Muslim extremists led govts?
If they allow Pakistan to send in fighters to take control of Maldives, we should just go and annex it to India. Seriously, wtf is Maldives doing as an Independent nation when they literally depend on us for their sovereignty. Or why cant they just sign a treaty like Bhutan has?

Param

If they allow Pakistan to send in fighters to take control of Maldives, we should just go and annex it to India. Seriously, wtf is Maldives doing as an Independent nation when they literally depend on us for their sovereignty. Or why cant they just sign a treaty like Bhutan has?
That would invite the wrath of the Gulf and other muslim countries.

Bhutan is a land locked country that faced a threat from China, hence has no other option. I think now a days Bhutan army takes care of its own defence and the IA has left Bhutan.

sukhish

Param,
what gulf countries can do, india has to show it's mental somewhere. we can't keep ignoring our influence in our neighbourhood. here we are looking for
the UN permanent membership and can't even keep maldives from exploding

trackwhack

That would invite the wrath of the Gulf and other muslim countries.

Bhutan is a land locked country that faced a threat from China, hence has no other option. I think now a days Bhutan army takes care of its own defence and the IA has left Bhutan.
Wrath from gulf countries ... so what :). They still do business with us that they cannot forgo.

Param

Param,
what gulf countries can do, india has to show it's mental somewhere. we can't keep ignoring our influence in our neighbourhood. here we are looking for
the UN permanent membership and can't even keep maldives from exploding
I was replying to the statement about us taking over the soveriegnity of Maldives against their will.

If Pak tries to have a presence there then ofcourse India should send forces.

Btw I prefer to keep that country a dependent or protectorate of India rather than occupy it.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I don't have the link, But the president asked for Indian`s help but Indian Gov rejected..

US and American gov backs the president..

SpArK

SORCERER
Maldives is a nice place, i fondly remember a trip in my childhood to Male. Its hardly has 80,000 residents and India once sent its navy to rescue Male from Pirates. They are pro-india for most part and i dont know what the coup will install in its place.

The Islands are so tiny that if u ride in a bike .. u will reach a dead end before changing to 4th gear.

anoop_mig25

Country flag
ok now who is in control and what are his policy viz India . see i said small size nations are prone to coups

ejazr

Ambassador
Both the oppostion leader and the govt. have favourable ties with India. The main problem was the ex-President ordered the arrest of a Judge when he ordered the release of an opposition leader. That and the violent supression of protestors led to a bigger protest in which he had to step down. Its NOT a coup, he has resigned and the Vice President is now in charge.

Its to do with internal politics and the oppostion pulling the rug under him. The guy is good but he needs to learn the ropes of politics. You don't mess with the judiciary so blatantly in a democracy.

Maldives: India worked backstage - Indian Express

While New Delhi has made it clear that there is no case for intervention in what is an "internal matter" of the nation, it is believed that the Indian High Commission was in the picture during consultations between opposition parties and the government on Tuesday to ensure that the situation did not break down into chaos. It is learnt that Indian diplomats helped in bringing together the ruling and opposition parties for talks.

Sources said the transition, triggered by several senior police officials joining the protests against Nasheed, was carried out in a "politically conducive" manner and the arrangement to replace Nasheed with Waheed was worked out in consultation with all opposition and ruling parties.

India has made it clear that unlike 1988 when Tamil separatists from Sri Lanka attempted to seize power, promoting the launching of 'Operation Cactus' by the Indian armed forces to restore power to the then President Maumoon Abdul Gayoom, there is no case for intervention in the present crisis as no external forces were at work.

"This is an internal matter of the Maldives, to be resolved by Maldivians. We hope that all issues will be resolved in a peaceful and democratic manner," an MEA spokesperson said, adding that New Delhi is "closely monitoring the situation" and the Indian community in the nation is safe. More than 30,000 Indian citizens are working in the Maldives.

While India has not moved any naval or air assets, the Indian Navy and Coast Guard have a presence in the country as they have been tasked to secure Maldives against the threat of piracy. However, no additional forces of warships have yet been deployed.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles