Main Battle Tanks and Armour Technology

If Tanks have to evolve, which path they should follow?

• Light Vehicles-Best for mobility

Votes: 25 7.3%
  • Heavy Armour-Can take heavy punishment.

Votes: 57 16.7%
  • Modular Design-Allowing dynamic adaptions.

Votes: 198 58.1%
  • Universal Platform-Best for logistics.

Votes: 61 17.9%

• Total voters

LaVictoireEstLaVie

Last edited:

Damian

Yeah, when I will have money for it perhaps I will buy it.

volna

It is not. The early T-72B, T-80U and the late T-72B already show that more complex multi-layered armour is possible in the Soviet glacis design. The thickness of their glacis armour is very similar to the thickness of the hull armour of Leopard 2 and M1 Abrams.
Yes,but IMHO the multiple NERA plates+multi-layered composite armor is hard to set on T-64 liked glacis,because each NERA plate needs space to bulge,the whole structure needs somewhat thickness.
AFAIK, the T-72B glacis contains two NERA layers and one air gap only.

militarysta

@UP
they are serious question about that model. Propably there is no ERA inside armour, but rather some kind of NERA, NxRA, and this "blowout pannel" is rather service hatch to replace used active layer.

Akim

Professional
Country flag
Here is the video, which was posted on the website Armand2REP. Syria T-72 is struck in the rear projection, but turret not fly with the hull tank and the crew manages to evacuate.

Last edited by a moderator:

Damian

I doubt that anyone get out of this tank, people running around the base are probably just infantry soldiers. In the end there was ammunition cook off.

LaVictoireEstLaVie

Volna, Militarysta

One of the french tank commanders on tanknet said that it was ERA of some kind though he did not elaborate. Marc Chassilans Leclerc book also mentions reactive armor, but it does not elaborate what type of ERA it is. Concerning Leclers overall protection levels the book is very vague in general. For instance, the side turret armor is being described to be impervious to RPG 7s. The author does not elaborate on what type of RPG 7 he is referring too. Concerning the frontal protection arc, it just states that the front offers protection against large anti tank guided missiles and high calibre kinetic energy projectiles.

The Leclerc's heavy side skirts do not seem to have composite inserts. Can anyone confirm this ?

Last edited:

Damian

Skirts might be spaced or composite armor.

But these photos you posted, you have a beer pack from me! It seems that different turret armor variants were considered and at least one variant considers ERA on turret... which strikes me is that ERA in overall shape is similiar to... Ukrainian "Knife"! Other variant seems to be inspired by German solutions.

And the photo of composite armor block, I wonder what ammunition was used for test.

militarysta

which strikes me is that ERA in overall shape is similiar to... Ukrainian "Knife"! Other variant seems to be inspired by German solutions.
Damian - ERA is based on German and Frencht developed program since midlle 1960's. Find M.Held patent about ERA - first avaible of them are from 1972 in USA and I found even older ones. In fact all ERA are based on that germans inventions, but they where Frencht-German program. As we can know Frencht use ERA on AMX-30, and Germans...rejected outern placed ERA for other solution. More or less we know that:
a) ERA was patented in Germany by M.Held on late 1960 and erly 1970s.
b) british Burlinghton files have adnotation that german solutions patented in 1976 are very close to the erly burlinghton in way of woking, but as I remember the material are slighty diffrent tehn in UK.
IMHO there is big posibility that Germans had in erly 1970s armour based on some kind of NERA, but not like in T-72B or model decribed by Lindsky, but layerd in that way:

On the left part of German patent posted by Methos about armour, on the left - polish NERA from WITPiS from Sulejówek. As we can see the generral layout is simmilar...
Polish NERA on the photo for 90. degree is able to stop older RPG-7 granades (330-440mm RHA) and LOS that module for 90. degree is circa
about 25-30cm...

WITPiS page:
http://www.witpis.eu/

darklabor

Alright let's get started!

I don't think that in the Leclerc the glacis is covered by composite armour and not the lower hull. The original Leclercs from series 1 had thinner glacis armour, which was thickened on later models. I don't think that this would be necessary if the glacis was covered by (semi-modular) composite armour.
The armor modules are composite, the tip of the glacis got some. See the picture brought up by LaVic.

Hmmm, could you please give me some hints about the thinner armor protection of séries 1?
AFAIK, the LOS thickness haven't changed. Just a mudguard on the tip of the chassis...

According to a French tanker from TankNet the newer Leclerc series 2 and 3 (XXI) tanks have a glacis armor scheme similar to this:
+Série 1 + prototypes.
The sloped pinkish slab is supposed to be modular as well according some research I made. The only thing that strikes me is the outter appearance that only has welds... Looks as if a thin slab is put over the packages.

The armor scheme for Leclerc S2 and S3 summed up:
Well there are some ideas but not really efficient as "armor protection". Blowout panels are not quite appropriated for ERA devices.

I am pretty sure DarkLabor already has his own copy of the book and sucked all the information out of it as much as he could.
Touché! :thumb: Actually the book is a good indicator on how it evolved, how it could evolved if we only had conventionnal weapons. If you are looking only for armor, you'll be disapointed. The blueprints are misleading. (who said the cake is a lie?)

Volna, Militarysta

One of the french tank commanders on tanknet said that it was ERA of some kind though he did not elaborate. Marc Chassilans Leclerc book also mentions reactive armor, but it does not elaborate what type of ERA it is. Concerning Leclers overall protection levels the book is very vague in general. For instance, the side turret armor is being described to be impervious to RPG 7s. The author does not elaborate on what type of RPG 7 he is referring too. Concerning the frontal protection arc, it just states that the front offers protection against large anti tank guided missiles and high calibre kinetic energy projectiles.
Well, keep in mind that we won't say anything that can endanger the crews. At the same time Mr Chassillan had a good idea to promote the weapon system by making a book. That's one of the reasons that I'm what I am now.

The Leclerc's heavy side skirts do not seem to have composite inserts. Can anyone confirm this ?
Yet it has. The only question I have is : "How did they stick those plates? There are no welding lines."

I know that I don't bring any clue of what I claim, but my intention is to bring the truth concerning that tank that suffered some rumors, lies, etc. (even within french army).

Damian

Well, what we know for certain about Leclerc is it's huge weak zone in turret front made by this huge gun mantle, and partially the place where main sight is installed... at least the founded photos show such weak zone.

Last edited:

methos

Country flag
Well, what we know for certain about Leclerc is it's huge weak zone in turret front made by this huge gun mantle, and partially the place where main sight is installed... at least the founded photos show such weak zone.
You forgot the sides of the "tunnel" for the gun.

Damian

Yup, you are right. It is curious turret design I must say.

Latest Replies

New threads

Articles