Main Battle Tanks and Armour Technology

If Tanks have to evolve, which path they should follow?

• Light Vehicles-Best for mobility

Votes: 25 7.3%
  • Heavy Armour-Can take heavy punishment.

Votes: 57 16.7%
  • Modular Design-Allowing dynamic adaptions.

Votes: 198 58.1%
  • Universal Platform-Best for logistics.

Votes: 61 17.9%

• Total voters

p2prada

No no, You did not understand. I know where ERA is placed, I mean that upper part of glacis is not covered by ERA, it is different to Ukrainian solutions where whole glacis is covered by ERA.
Hmm, I get your point. I guess they did not do it based on the probability where a penetration has the highest chance of occurring.

There would be some advantages and disadvantages to both tanks. This isn't T-90s advantage though.

No, T-90MS means something different, it means - M - Modernized, S - For Export.

Russian version will be designated T-90M.

So T-90MS can be purchased by India and any other country with deep enough pocket.

By the way, alternative designation system can be T-90AM for Russian Army and T-90SM for export.
This article claims new designation will be T-90MS.

Gur Khan attacks!: �Тираннозавр� идет на �Прорыв�

I was referring to the export version. :)
The one that will come to India for sure.

Also we need to wait for official confirmation of names. The T-90AM is a media creation, similar to T-95 and Chobham. But they stick on I guess.

Last edited:

Damian

Interesting, it seems that turret bustle where additional ammunition is stored it separate storage box attached to turret.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Interesting, it seems that turret bustle where additional ammunition is stored it separate storage box attached to turret.
No Damian that is the big AC

Little above on right side u will notice, Blow up panels..

In T-90M deginers placed it at far back..

Its very possible Indian T-90S many get this turret with only AC, And APU at chassis..
The ERA and FCS also the MG may stay the same due to bring down the costs..

"A large fleet of T-90 tanks would require to be fitted with environment control system with Auxillary Power Unit (APU), following Indian Army's decision to upgrade the T-90 equipment," top Army sources said.
http://articles.economictimes.indiatimes.com/2008-07-06/news/27703603_1_t-90-tanks-systems

Last edited:

Damian

No Damian that is the big AC
No it's not, T-90MS have there ammunition storage, where You see ventilation ports for AC system in T-90MS? Is it just pure ammo sotrage in box bolted to turret rear bulkhead.

Little above on right side u will notice, Blow up panels..

In T-90M deginers placed it at far back..
There are no blow off panels in T-90MS turret, only service hatches that can act in extreme situations as blow off panels.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
No it's not, T-90MS have there ammunition storage, where You see ventilation ports for AC system in T-90MS? Is it just pure ammo sotrage in box bolted to turret rear bulkhead.

There are no blow off panels in T-90MS turret, only service hatches that can act in extreme situations as blow off panels.

Its my conclusion, latter pics would reveal the truth..

Their are not enough pics from above the turret, If ammo is stored in turret, Definitely their will be blow of panels just like on Leo..
This is of-course my conclusion, Not something i 100% conform based on recent photos.. :)

Damian

As I said it is not AC, this box marked by red cub.

This armored box is for ammunition storage, this armored box is bolted to turret rear not welded.

Service hatches are dual purpose, first purpose is to put or take out from this box ammunition stored inside, second purpose is that these service hatches are also blow off panels.

BTW so huge AC unit is just silly, compare it's size to VCSU (Vapor Compression System Unit) on M1A2SEP:

VCSU is a part of M1A2SEP Air Conditioning system, AC components are VCSU and TMS (Temperature Management System).

Whi needs so big AC units like that one tested on that T-90A, where there are smaller AC units that are also effective and tested in harsh desert conditions.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
As I said it is not AC, this box marked by red cub.

This armored box is for ammunition storage, this armored box is bolted to turret rear not welded.

BTW so huge AC unit is just silly, compare it's size to VCSU (Vapor Compression System Unit) on M1A2SEP:
[/URL]

VCSU is a part of M1A2SEP Air Conditioning system, AC components are VCSU and TMS (Temperature Management System).

Whi needs so big AC units like that one tested on that T-90A, where there are smaller AC units that are also effective and tested in harsh desert conditions.
I dont know any Russian AC for that purpose, Do Russian have smaller AC for Crew comfort, Ability to cool down Vehicle Interior within 10sec to 1 min in harsh desert environment like we have in thar like Temp rise to 50-60'C on normal day inside a tank.?

Have any info on such any Russian AC otherwise its only AC known that Russian have for Crew..

Damian

I dont know any Russian AC for that purpose, Do Russian have smaller AC for Crew comfort, Ability to cool down Vehicle Interior within 10sec to 1 min in harsh desert environment like we have in thar like Temp rise to 50-60'C on normal day inside a tank.?

Have any info on such any Russian AC otherwise its only AC known that Russian have for Crew..
I don't know if they have something comparabale in size to M1A2SEP VCSU-TMS AC unit. Leclerc also have very compact AC unit.

But AC unit is not deadly needed, in OIF most US Army tanks were M1A1's without AC unit, however (I don't know how it looks in other MBT's) M1A1 crew can use NBC protection system to blow inside cold air, of they also use individual cooling vests situation is close to that in vehicle with dedicated AC unit.

Would be nice if similiar solution could be used in other designs.

Damian

No, T-90MS still use placed under turret basket (where crew sits) autoloader.

This is how autoloader in T-72/T-90 series looks like and how it works.

Last edited by a moderator:

Damian

Official informations from Russia says that T-90MS have front turret protection at such levels.

~850mm RHAe vs KE, 1200mm RHAe vs CE, protection is similiar to best NATO tanks that also varies from ~800-900mm RHAe vs KE and ~1200-1300mm RHAe vs CE.

Well this actually means that best modern MBT's are actually impenetrabale at turret front armor, especially with hits at 0 degrees from turret center line, hits at 30 degrees from turret center line in the same place will probably means higher penetration level for used against such armor ammunition.

Damian

does t-90MS use smooth bore or rifled gun...??
2A46M-5/L48 125mm Smoothbore gun, or more perspectivic 2A82 125mm smoothbore gun.

does this means it requires no gunner...??
This is integrated RWS with CITV, it is used by tank commander.

Neil

Country flag
2A46M-5/L48 125mm Smoothbore gun, or more perspectivic 2A82 125mm smoothbore gun.

This is integrated RWS with CITV, it is used by tank commander.
sir...thanks for the info...but can u please explain in laymen terms...i mean dont not much about all this stuffs..please...!!

p2prada

sir...thanks for the info...but can u please explain in laymen terms...i mean dont not much about all this stuffs..please...!!
The 2A46M5 and 2A82 are both smoothbore guns. The 2A82 is longer and more powerful than the former gun which is present on current T-90s.

RWS is Remote Weapons Station and CITV is Commanders Independent Thermal Viewer. It means the Commander can shoot people without having to touch the gun. He can use the CITV to seek targets.

Damian

RWS - Remote Weapon Station, CITV - Commander Independent Thermal Viewer.

This means that TC (Tank Commander) can operate remotly 7,62mm machine gun mounted in RWS, sight for RWS is TC CITV.

It is a very simple system.

Similiar design is used in Ukrainian T-84M Oplot-M that use PNK-6 CITV and RWS with 12,7mm machine gun mounted near commander hatch.

West use a bit different systems, for example CROWS-2 on M1A2SEP is completely standalone RWS system not depenednt on TC CITV, so this means that contrary to Russian and Ukrainian tanks, in M1A2SEP TC have CITV as his main observation device, independent RWS as his weapon system and GPSE (Gunner Primary Sight Extension) so he can see what gunner see.

It looks similiar on most NATO tanks.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Well this actually means that best modern MBT's are actually impenetrabale at turret front armor, especially with hits at 0 degrees from turret center line,
It means it cannot be penetrated with morden ammo that is M829A3 at first shot, The era will drastically reduce the penetration, However once the large era tile blown off, It expose the damage frontal Armour for other Anti-tank weapon or the same or different tank from other or same angle, their are too many possibility in Active tank to tank battle..

But Its good for One shot at same place..

Neil

Country flag
are there any plans to mount RWS on either the arjun or t-90...??

sir still requires the gunner in the tank or it eliminates the need for 1...?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles