Main Battle Tanks and Armour Technology

If Tanks have to evolve, which path they should follow?

• Light Vehicles-Best for mobility

Votes: 25 7.3%
  • Heavy Armour-Can take heavy punishment.

Votes: 57 16.7%
  • Modular Design-Allowing dynamic adaptions.

Votes: 198 58.1%
  • Universal Platform-Best for logistics.

Votes: 61 17.9%

• Total voters

Damian

A small surprise from Israel.

I don't even attempt to speculate what the hell we see on these photos. Israelis aren't especially talktive about this modification. Things we can be certain is that hull is from the M60/Magach tank, main armament still seems to be 105mm gun, but turret looks to be completely new design, and crew hatches placement suggest 2 crew members instead of 3 in turret.

That huge turret bustle is the biggest mystery here, it doesen't look to be loading mechanism, and some Israelis that are well informed that this thing is not autoloader, that tank do not have even autoloader itself, despite fact that turret most probably do not have space for loader.

The Last Stand

Country flag
That huge turret bustle is the biggest mystery here, it doesen't look to be loading mechanism, and some Israelis that are well informed that this thing is not autoloader, that tank do not have even autoloader itself, despite fact that turret most probably do not have space for loader.
What do you think it is? A turret bustle with ammunition storage is likely in my opinion, would like yours. There is also an opening in the end of the bustle. Easy loading of ammunition containers? The turret itself seems to be as large as the hull. Won't the weight have increased considerably and put strain on already ancient overused torsion bars of the Magach?

Off topic: That tank should be banned as it destroys the vision of Israeli soldiers :troll:

The Last Stand

Country flag
@Keshav Murali

As for this Magach variant, we know now that it is Spike ATGM carreir on tank chassis, that looks like tank, gun barrel is mockup.
Where is the firing port for it. I definitely thought that bustle was too big and now I think it's for missile storage. Good for Israelis. ATGM on a thickly armoured chassis.

Also, I already knew about western part of Ukraine being a part of Poland. You mentioned it in some thread a few months back and I checked it on wiki.

Last edited by a moderator:

Damian

Where is the firing port for it. I definitely thought that bustle was too big and now I think it's for missile storage. Good for Israelis. ATGM on a thickly armoured chassis.
It is not know yet, how missile launcher looks exactly but it is placed in turret bustle.

Also, I already knew about western part of Ukraine being a part of Poland. You mentioned it in some thread a few months back and I checked it on wiki.
History is complicated, we can eventually discuss this on PM, to not derail this thread.

Damian

Meanwhile on IDEF-2013.

Most recent prototype of "Altay" MBT.

And "Altay" little borther, the "Tulpar", very interesting IFV design with modular armor, it's weight depending on configuration weights from 25 through 35 to 45 tons.

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
very old video about the history of pakistan tank industry..recorded before the local manufacturing of Al khalid..this video dates back to 2000.

from 20:00 it shows the manufacturing of Naiza round @militarysta

this also means that naiza round production started before al khalid production.may be before 2000

Last edited by a moderator:

militarysta

I saw this video in other topic here. Triplle times. It's shown nothing new.

1.old Naiza
2. Old alloy abbot
3. Short penetrator
4. Whole projectile whit this penetrator
Nothing new. Rather confirm about circa 460mm RHA at 2000m for circa more then dacade ago in Pakistan.

BTW: Those two post shoud be trnasfered to "Tank Guns and Amunition" topic IMHO

hest

Armour tests of Mi-28A helicopter

Испытания бронезащиты Ми-28А (Полная версия).avi - YouTube

Cabin armour consists of composite metallic-ceramic structure and all windows are protected by layered armoured glass. Windows are tested against
- 7.62 AP (armour piercing)
-12.7 AP
- High velocity missile fragments

They are not penetrated and preserve suffivient visibility despite fractures

The main composite armour is tested against

-7.62 mm AP
-12.7 mm AP
-20 mm HE-Frag
-3 g high velocity fragments

No damage in inside of cabin

Overall Mi-28 was able to withstand almost 70 hits without damage to crew
-9 20 mm HE-Frag
- 22 12.7 mm AP
-22 high velocity missile fragments
- 15 7.62 mm AP

militarysta

How to made cheep propaganda/marketing:

Post this:

:bplease:
forgot about rest of the ammo placed in any possible space of the T-72/90 hull

hest

I think they represent what is the main ammunition placement, additional reserves of T-90 and Leopard 2 (hull) are not shown, when situation requires tank operates only with main rounds for safety, T-90 in autoloader and Leopard 2 in turret for comfortable access and fast response. On such case there is some truth, the autoloader is better protected and safer for crew than ammunition in turret bustle.

methos

Country flag
On such case there is some truth, the autoloader is better protected and safer for crew than ammunition in turret bustle.
It is not better protected. By no means. It might be harder to hit because of it's location, but that depends on the threat spectrum and the exact scenario. It is much more vulnerable to enemy fire due to the thinner armour, more prone to fire/cook-off due to the lack of compartimentation and it is much more vulnerable to mines and IEDs.

Once the tank is seen on plain ground or from the front, there is more area occupied by the autoloader's ammunition and it is getting more likely hit.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles