LVM3/GSLV Mark III News, Discussions, Updates and Reports

Free Karma

That pic with the greenery and clouds....looks awesome!

It's been very cloudy here, for like the last 4-5 days with slight drizzles...hope it clears up.

karn

Country flag
Whats interesting is that Ukraine is giving designs on engines which it itself does not have the capacity to build
This is not new . Design is a relatively small part of the effort .Actually building it and testing it for QA is whats vital at the end . Ukraine is too broke to do either . I think ISRO wanted a baseline highperformance engine and did not want to be saddled with an underperforming one .

Last edited:

karn

Country flag
Ugh I just realised that the GSLV is coming out of a new VAB . ISRO said long back that a new VAB would allow them to increase the rate of launches . I guess they commissioned the 2nd VAB with little fanfare .

You can see the old one in the background.

Offtopic : I wonder if putting the CE7.5 on top of the L-110 without SRBs would be a viable design.

Last edited:

CrYsIs

Country flag
This is not new . Design is a relatively small part of the effort .Actually building it and testing it for QA is whats vital at the end . Ukraine is too broke to do either . I think ISRO wanted a baseline highperformance engine and did not want to be saddled with an underperforming one .

Indeed,Had it not been for Soviets,Ukraine wouldn't have been there anywhere near to having a space program.Anyways lets hope that they complete the project in time..

shiphone

Country flag
Solid Stage Assembly Building (SSAB)

Solid motors assembly operations (GSLV Mk-III L110 stage assembly with S200 Motors)

Last edited:

CrYsIs

Country flag
Ugh I just realised that the GSLV is coming out of a new VAB . ISRO said long back that a new VAB would allow them to increase the rate of launches . I guess they commissioned the 2nd VAB with little fanfare .

You can see the old one in the background.

Offtopic : I wonder if putting the CE7.5 on top of the L-110 without SRBs would be a viable design.
No,thats not the second assembly building,thats the main VAB assembly complex.The building behind is the solid stage assembly complex.Second VAB is under construction at 2nd launch pad.

As far as putting CE 7.5 on the top of L110 without SRB,though it is a viable design but will not serve any purpose because then the launcher will not be able to carry anything more than 1000 kilos or place it on GEO.

Last edited:

karn

Country flag
No,thats not the second assembly building,thats the main VAB assembly complex.The building behind is the solid stage assembly complex.Second VAB is under construction at 2nd launch pad.

As far as putting CE 7.5 on the top of L110 without SRB,though it is a viable design but will not serve any purpose because then the launcher will not be able to carry anything more than 1000 kilos or place it on GEO.
Thanks for clearing that up .

Is there a way to do back of napkin calculations ? I can't seem to find the actual weight of the individual stages minus the fuel .
I was hoping that there could be a better design to replace the GSLV 2 that hauls the empty solid motor for a significant amount of time .
IMO the GSLV 1/2 is a horrible design it literally is the result of "how can we get significant loads into Geosynchronous orbit with what we have in hand".
the only significant thing that came out of it is the cryogenic engine . The rest of it is literally a PSLV with 4 vikas bolted on . Replacing the S139 with a S200 solid an option the increases the ISP but loses thrust/weight also increases the cost.

Last edited:

CrYsIs

Country flag
Thanks for clearing that up .

Is there a way to do back of napkin calculations ? I can't seem to find the actual weight of the individual stages minus the fuel .
I was hoping that there could be a better design to replace the GSLV 2 that hauls the empty solid motor for a significant amount of time .
IMO the GSLV 1/2 is a horrible design it literally is the result of "how can we get significant loads into Geosynchronous orbit with what we have in hand".
the only significant thing that came out of it is the cryogenic engine . The rest of it is literally a PSLV with 4 vikas bolted on . Replacing the S139 with a S200 solid an option the increases the ISP but loses thrust/weight also increases the cost.

In those days ISRO didn't have the funds like it is getting today.So instead of going for a new vehicle for carrying the Russian cryogenic engine,they build a rocket based on PSLV .GSLV 2 was supposed to be a temporary vehicle like ASLV until the Mark 3 arrived.I think ISRO would be retiring GSLV 2 by 2025.

Compersion

Country flag
i guess we will hear someone say that each stage of GSLV mk 3 is a (capable) medium to intercontinental range ballistic missile(s) in it self ... :namaste:

karn

Country flag
@CrYsIs
1.A stark example of how not funding science causes harm .
2.I know but 2025 is still 11 years away there can be a way of increasing its performance by switching around its stages (with existing stages of course ). The more I think about it the more I think that we will see Some modifications like changing out the core solid stage . By the end of it we will probably see a GSLV2XL or something . I am also baffled as to how ISRO never got around to clustering engines if it was so concerned with cost . The GSLV3 is the 1st example of such an effort . Clustering was instrumental in helping the Soviet , China and now spaceX make heavy lift rockets using relatively small engines .
Just look at that.... using 700-800 KN hypergolic engines and clustering together 2 78KN LOX H2 engines China has rockets that meets all her needs .
Guess who else has 800KN hypergolic and 75 KN cryo engines .... Meh never mind Im just disappointed at all the missed opportunities .
I just wish that ISRO had looked into building a core stage with 4 clustered vikas engines at say 1996 .

Last edited by a moderator:

kurup

Country flag
ISRO's most powerful launcher ever, GSLV Mk-III rolls out from the Vehicle Assembly Building to the launch pad for its Experimental Flight slated later in this month.

Integration of the passive C25 Cryogenic Upper Stage with L110 liquid Core Stage in Progress at Vehicle Assembly Building

The passive C25 Cryogenic Upper Stage being hoisted at Vehicle Assembly Building

The partially integrated vehicle with S200 Strap-ons and L110 Core Stage outside the Vehicle Assembly Building

L110 Liquid Core Stage being prepared at Stage Preparation Facility

The core second stage of GSLV-Mk III, with 110 tonnes of liquid propellants, just before it was flagged off on Friday from the Liquid Propulsion Systems Centre (LPSC), Mahendragiri, Tamil Nadu.

The two S200 Strap-ons during the integration of the vehicle

Original GSLV Mk.III Mockup (Old Pic - 2012)

kurup

Country flag
Three cheers to @kurup. He was the first person to post real pictures of our GSLV Mark III.
Actually cross-posting from another forum ....... pictures avaliable from ISRO web page and FB page ..... :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:

Global Defence

Articles