Light tanks for Indian Army

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
In all honesty it is not case of ruusi supply line but of 'tech'
because even on WhAP we put those ruusi 30mm autocannon 2A42M instead of what west could easily have offered us in same calibre; and because OFB was already making them en masse for various projects here from BMP-2 to those naval CRN-91 etc;
and we've been making Tin-72 and so here since years now; it was already said somewhere that we've indigenised the engines for both Tin-72 and Tin-90ASS here;

coming back to Cummins and so; they are making some powerful 4-cylinder engine for american light combat vehicle projects whatever called "Advanced Combat Engine // ACE" which is a scalable design ranging from 750hp to 1500hp one; this may very well power vehicles ranging from Stryker to Bradley to potentially Abrams too in those newer IC engine forks etc; and i believe this ACE thing is also lighter in mass (weight) than currently available options

so most likely Jorawar was trying to benefit from this and similar engine projects from west but...it turned out to be a bad story 🤷‍♂️

jab ghar me hi Royal Ordnance L7 105mm barrel//turret hai (from Vijayanta) aur Tin-72 ka 1000 hp wala uprated engine hai jo khaas Himalay ke liye hi banaya gya hai fir bahar itna muh maar rhe hai 🤷‍♂️ thoda kam se chala lete toh ab tak Jorawar ban gya hota
footnote to add, since i just get to read it on Trishul-Trident blog

so, Tin-72 engine uprating to 1000 hp was done successfully but fully utilising it is still a problematic thing for us because...lack of suitable gearbox system for that 🤷‍♂️; Tin-72's existing gearbox and transmission is not that ideal for this uprated engine and may require newer better one for uprated one

probably this was one of reason this engine was not considered...but then again they could've gone 'ek teer se do nishan' and consulted Cummins or so for developing gearbox that we could use in both tanks in theory at least

JBH22

footnote to add, since i just get to read it on Trishul-Trident blog

so, Tin-72 engine uprating to 1000 hp was done successfully but fully utilising it is still a problematic thing for us because...lack of suitable gearbox system for that 🤷‍♂️; Tin-72's existing gearbox and transmission is not that ideal for this uprated engine and may require newer better one for uprated one

probably this was one of reason this engine was not considered...but then again they could've gone 'ek teer se do nishan' and consulted Cummins or so for developing gearbox that we could use in both tanks in theory at least
T-72 is not an ideal tank. (served since 1980s)
But it is the tank we have in our hands, served our needs since IPKF days. Now, we can always wait for the indian wunderwaffen tank to take off from drawing boards. Or adopt a fanboi approach to western tanks, which in Ukraine took a beating quashing their invincibility image.

WolfPack86

Country flag
Zorawar : DRDO-L&T light tank developed on in record time is ready for trials

standard snowball

Country flag
Soo I was reading about type 15 tank and found out that BD too operates it's export version.
Don't you guys think In theory R&AW would have access to certain details of this tank that might help Indian Army and DRDO.
Like for example it's true technical parameters which may help us in figuring out how It's ERA works or how good it's sights are.

Or am I being too naive and delusional as R&AW's penetration into BD is not that deep

Joydeepghosh1976

Country flag
Soo I was reading about type 15 tank and found out that BD too operates it's export version.
Don't you guys think In theory R&AW would have access to certain details of this tank that might help Indian Army and DRDO.
Like for example it's true technical parameters which may help us in figuring out how It's ERA works or how good it's sights are.

Or am I being too naive and delusional as R&AW's penetration into BD is not that deep
#Zorawar Light #Tank Named After Zorawar Singh Kahluria – #Dogra General Who Conquered #Ladakh, and Raided #Tibet

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag

Corvus Splendens

Country flag
how about,salvaging those L7 105mm cannons in making Zorawar's turret?
The Cockerill 105mm high pressure gun has double the firing range, can sustain a higher rate of fire, has better metallurgy and CLGM compatibility. Regardless, the way tenders work out here, nobody with vested intrest is missing out the chance of getting the full package anyway. Convert the L7 guns for light mobile howitzers and use the chassis for SPAAGs.
1706523646229.png

1706523619952.png

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
The Cockerill 105mm high pressure gun has double the firing range, can sustain a higher rate of fire, has better metallurgy and CLGM compatibility. Regardless, the way tenders work out here, nobody with vested intrest is missing out the chance of getting the full package anyway. Convert the L7 guns for light mobile howitzers and use the chassis for SPAAGs.
View attachment 238700
View attachment 238699
I'm not sure if same cannon can be used in making a field gun like thing but using same chassey for making SPAAG is indeed possible - heck, a norm...
with that 30mm 2A42 cannon in production here under "CRN-91" naval gun label, putting a quad mount of same in ZSU-23-4 like configuration on a T-55 or Vijayanta Chassey with some spare Igla-S or Mistral or dare i say our own VSHORAD tubes is possible, of course if they wish to utilise it that way baki toh...afghano ko de diye they Tin-55 fir talibunnies ne sab loot liya lol

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
somewhere in the video, he says India is a customer for their 3000 series turret

John Cockerill Defense From Belgium Unveils Cockerill 1030 weapon station fitted with counter drone
For whaps? Cause the last report said they are using an indegenious turret for Light tanks drdo pushed for it

Hari Sud

Country flag
Battlefield Drones have made these toys useless. These can with ease be targeted by AI powered drones who finds its own target. Hence tanks and armoured carriers are going into oblivion sooner than later.

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
there is no rfi for 105mm gun on a wheeled platform yet, and DRDO/DPSU track record of developing anything with a barrel is not that great anyways.
Then they probably added some indegenious content to the turret and called it "indegenious " we will only know after it is released Def expo is March seems like might not happen.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles