LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

Azaad

Country flag
Jaguars are also used for Maritime strike. They have harpoons iirc. Lca still lacks an anti-ship missile plus double engine of jaguars provide reliability over sea.
Yes I'm aware of it . However with the MiG-29K now being the first choice for maritime strike , I'm not sure if the Jaguars will play the same role as before ,rather it'd play second fiddle to the MiG-29K.

IndianHawk

Country flag
Yes I'm aware of it . However with the MiG-29K now being the first choice for maritime strike , I'm not sure if the Jaguars will play the same role as before ,rather it'd play second fiddle to the MiG-29K.
Mig 29k are carrier based. Jags are shore based. Different operational posture.

Jag based at naliya can attack ships in gwadar port with harpoons .
Besides mig29k are too few compared to jaguars.

Last edited:

NutCracker

Country flag
It has got supersonic ext. Tanks way back. It came with FOC.
Read that 2014's article properly. It's says that FOC will contain SS drop tanks , but when LCA recieved FOC in 2019 it lacked that. It's among few compromises IAF made that we read news about.

Satish Sharma

Country flag
Read that 2014's article properly. It's says that FOC will contain SS drop tanks , but when LCA recieved FOC in 2019 it lacked that. It's among few compromises IAF made that we read news about.
it did mention FOC will have at the end of article so I thought I must have gotten it.. I never heard that iaf did not receive ss tanks with FOC..
May be mk1a will get it..

NutCracker

Country flag
it did mention FOC will have at the end of article so I thought I must have gotten it
So ?? Is it the first time you are hearing that planned deliverables were not delivered by DPSUs?:bplease:

I never heard that iaf did not receive ss tanks with FOC..
We have 1 sqdrn of FOC flying , not a single picture of SS drop tanks.

Narasimh

Country flag
So ?? Is it the first time you are hearing that planned deliverables were not delivered?:bplease:

Hold up.. i can't recall whether it was DDR or indranil Roy who settled this sometime back that Tejas flight regimes do not need a supersonic drop tank.. does anybody recall?

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
So ?? Is it the first time you are hearing that planned deliverables were not delivered by DPSUs?:bplease:

Still now tejas didn't have ss drop tanks , for now ss drop tanks is relaxed ,can be achieved later ,
Bvr capability, gun trial is being prioritised

NutCracker

Country flag
Still now tejas didn't have ss drop tanks , for now ss drop tanks is relaxed ,can be achieved later ,
Bvr capability, gun trial is being prioritised
SS tank should've been prioritised above gun. Guns are literally useless in 2020s and beyond.
Even F22 didn't chose to shoot down chinese balloon using gun.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Mk1A is good mini omnirole aircraft.

But for dedicated ground attack role,
Jag > mk1A.
Jaguars are phasing engine issues. They are not good enough for most of the roles except bombing in nearby areas. If we can get good engines for them, we can use them for one more decades,

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Hold up.. i can't recall whether it was DDR or indranil Roy who settled this sometime back that Tejas flight regimes do not need a supersonic drop tank.. does anybody recall?
I do not know that but drop tank designed for Tejas are supersonic drop tank which creates minimum drag. Drag upto 2 counts only. There were extensive studies on Improvement of aerodynamic performance of Tejas including redesigning of cockpit (External design) and other small changes in body which will improve trans-sonic acceleration by 20% and highest speed by 2% and fuel capacity by 60 k.g., improvement in AOA and STR.

Last edited:

NutCracker

Country flag
I do not know that but drop tank designed for Tejas are supersonic drop tank which creates minimum drag. Drag upto 2 counts only. There were extensive studies on Improvement of aerodynamic performance of Tejas including redesigning of cockpit (External design) and other small changes in body which will improve trans-sonic acceleration by 20% and highest speed by 2% and fuel capacity by 60 k.g., improvement in AOA and STR.
But we have yet to see Supersonic drop tanks installed in LCA. it's been a decade since IOC and Supersonic droptanks were supposed to feature in FOC, but we don't even know at what stage of fabrication those tanks are currently .

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
SS tanks aren't of any use unless the flight envelope is expanded. It was meant for Mark 1A.
Maybe we'll see it in near future.

There was also lower drag 1360 lt fuel tanks under design. All of those are under backburners rn. Once Mark1A get in service they'll be revived.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
SS tanks aren't of any use unless the flight envelope is expanded. It was meant for Mark 1A.
Maybe we'll see it in near future.

There was also lower drag 1360 lt fuel tanks under design. All of those are under backburners rn. Once Mark1A get in service they'll be revived.
If I remember correctly, it was a Composite material Drop Tank.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
New Electronics are bound to come. I am more interested in Aerodynamic improvement and performance enhancement of platform as it is going to be permanent. A faster and more agile platform can give an edge over enemy in survival and combat.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Mig 29k are carrier based. Jags are shore based. Different operational posture.

Jag based at naliya can attack ships in gwadar port with harpoons .
Besides mig29k are too few compared to jaguars.
In close Combat, Mig-29 are lethal. We have developed very good EW suite for Mig 29 in collaboration with Israel.

Global Defence

Articles