LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

raju1982

Country flag
HAL may have to delearn all the soviet-russo junk processes and relearn the NATO/US standards. One of the advantages the Turkish Aviation Industry had in addition to help of jet design from EU&NATO is the Manufacturing Methods. I hate to say this but the Turkroaches Hurjet that had first flight recently had more exquisite build quality and finishing than Tejas. This Manufacturing process problem can be resolved relatively easily but it requires attitude to improve oneself. Recently boeing has been acquiring parts of Apache from TASL and C-295 also to be partly built in TASL. Maybe although not design of aircraft, atleast TASL should acquire the skill of Art of Manufacturing.
So are the koreans. lots of indians works in airbus and boeing but india never learned bcoz hal is run by govt babus.

Kudos to prvt cos... even start ups like Skuroot...

Way to go.. just look at their presentations...
:hail::hail::hail:

karn

Country flag
It's combat range is substantial considering its size. IAF has some complains related to sustained turned rate due to huge Delta wings , 90+kN Kaveri will do wonders for that shortfall.
Is it the case that the lower wing loading on the Tejas makes it more manuverable at higher altitudes compared to other non deltas?
I ask cause I remember seeing somewhere that the f16 is most manuverable at 13 -15 k feet .Which is lower than the altitude of the Himalayas.

NutCracker

Country flag
Is it the case that the lower wing loading on the Tejas makes it more manuverable at higher altitudes compared to other non deltas?
I ask cause I remember seeing somewhere that the f16 is most manuverable at 13 -15 k feet .Which is lower than the altitude of the Himalayas.
Yes, high altitude means low density means lower pressure on wings, so delta wings can create higher lift compare to conventional wings .

That's how F15 carried the satellite killer missile. It's said to be cropped delta, but pretty low wing loading for any American plane.
F15's wing loading is 2/3rd of F16 ,
And LCA's wing loading is 2/3rd of F15 and J10.

Additional benefits that lower wing loading increase the lifespan of the wing.

Last edited:

mamamia12

So are the koreans. lots of indians works in airbus and boeing but india never learned bcoz hal is run by govt babus.

Kudos to prvt cos... even start ups like Skuroot...

Way to go.. just look at their presentations...
:hail::hail::hail:
I had to double check the location and company profile and all when that tweet appeared. I never thought a more than decent Manufacturing facility like those in photos existed. I couldn't even believe it.

Satish Sharma

Country flag
It's combat range is substantial considering its size. IAF has some complains related to sustained turned rate due to huge Delta wings , 90+kN Kaveri will do wonders for that shortfall.
I think the current ge f404 variant used makes 89.8kn
Iaf always demanded a 90-95kn engine after increasing it's mtow in the middle of project development..
We did a mistake by straight away going for Americans we should have went for M88 as later they developed higher thrust variants 50kn dry and 75/81/91kn wet variants it's specs are quite similar to the f404 infact first rafale flew in 1986 with f404.

Satish Sharma

Country flag
I know it's laughable but I always felt why this space is left instead of using it for fuel tanks or like CFTs.
Hope u get it 😃
IMG_20240104_145554.jpg
IMG_20240104_145127.png
IMG_20240104_144919.jpg

Satish Sharma

Country flag
Only wish is mk1B should come with complete internal EW, MAWS+DAS(spectra like) , IRST , EOT system, and conformal fuel tanks. This is possible if conformal fuel tanks host the rest of internal equipments. Keeping some place in it if possible..
If possible GaN based uttam significant increase in performance..
Anyways then weight of Tejas will certainly increase and 90kn ge f404 might feel underpowered..
It should also have 2xdoral CFT. Total of 4 CF tanks.. And then should have used f414 with major intakes changes.. fuel capacity will increase significantly. But weight will also increase.

Anyways now I understand why Tejas mk2 came to existence.. it's going to be very capable..
But still I believe if 97 more are ordered so some of this systems should be integrated as Tejas mk2 is facing many delays... It's so frustrating so many tech has been developed also used in super Sukhoi but this hal is so slow always end up fking everything..

MirageBlue

Country flag
Much better than Russian aircrafts, but not upto Western.
Oh please! Have you even seen them up close to make this assertion?? Specifically which Western fighter aircraft has tighter tolerances, since you're basically saying it could be F-16, F-15, F-18, Typhoon, Rafale, Tornado,

Satish Sharma

Country flag
And what about weight increment along with change in fluid dynamics?
Well it can be sorted out just like Americans did even rafale has CFT nobody has purchased it with CFTs .
Hal has already said the 97 ordered will be even more advance possibly they might add some thing new or may increase its range..

NutCracker

Country flag
Well it can be sorted out just like Americans did even rafale has CFT nobody has purchased it with CFTs .
Hal has already said the 97 ordered will be even more advance possibly they might add some thing new or may increase its range..
It doesn't work like that. Such fuel tanks will need higher thrust and Anything beyond 90kN might turn useless unless we go through back breaking task of modifying the inlets.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Yes, but for that you have to carry out extensive study in first place.
Increased weight means drop in performance level. An overkill engine can compensate on that front, means you have to relook into your powerplant too.

Satish Sharma

Country flag
Yes, but for that you have to carry out extensive study in first place.
Increased weight means drop in performance level. An overkill engine can compensate on that front, means you have to relook into your powerplant too.
I agree , That's the reason behind tejas mk2..
modernising or more such advancements are not worth it ..(like CFTs). It's very small aircraft.. it's being used at highest potential.
However hal has said 97tejas will be more modern, modern in the sense it might have something new avionics sensors or maybe something like MAWS etc etc let's see adding CFTs is possible but then we will have to compensate for weight increase all this etc etc problems.are there whose solution is Tejas mk2 ..

But weight will also increase.

Anyways now I understand why Tejas mk2 came to existence..

Global Defence

New threads

Articles