LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

AnantS

Country flag
As I say often- corruption or incompetence, it’s hard to differentiate the two but the effects are the same.

unless it’s imports the Indian military are totally incapable of providing a framework to help build
Industry. Until recently they had payment arrears worth 100s of millions of USD to HAL

they even did the same cr@p with a relatively tiny entity like Tonbo for relatively tiny deal sizes

And then they turn around and point fingers at industry and use the lack of capacity at home as justification for their import fixation

View attachment 200024
Thats from May 2020. I believe new DPP was in progress then. What's the situation now? Any new comments from Tonbo on this issue?

silverghost

Country flag
Once HAL’s ALH production line was stable they’ve not missed a single deadline for it, LCH is being delivered on time too. Any teething issues they have they generally iron out, they need large upfront orders and stable requirements and they’ll get it done, they rarely get that though

+ lol at private sector jibes- which private company in india is investing in defence R&D? The most they are lining up to do is make foreign designs under licence (occasionally they’ll buy the IP). It’s not entirely their fault, the way the Indian system works R&D is too risky because orders are never assured and deals are often well below the mark to make any sort of decent ROI. Look at the ATAGS debacle for why Indian private companies are today not dumping money into this sector, look up L&T defence’s recent comments about getting pathetic orders from the IN despite the money they’ve sunk into capacity at their yards

look up the LCH and LUH stories- HAL had to fund the production of the LSP airframes without even a penny paid or contract in place. Private companies simply will not and cannot engage in similar efforts as they have a responsibility to their shareholders.
We are talking about Tejas Mk1A delays so stick to the topic. The Private sector may not be investing in R&D but they are delivering on time. The indigenous content will increase over time based on the nos. of orders placed. At the rate at which HAL is going Mk1A will hit production in 2025. Mk2 has two PSUs involved therefore even 2030 looks optimistic.

skunk works

Country flag
It's nothing bro people in forum and Twitter said mk2 is very similar to mk1a so delays and testing will be of no problem
And we see the situation now
Whenever I hear someone go "vro there's only 2-3 differences that will be really easy and deployed in weeks" I instantly know they have never been near an engineering textbook in their life.

skunk works

Country flag
HAL and import airforce both blaming each other for delays. Both are at fault. HAL for delays and IAF for not placing larger orders. I think PMO cracked the whip of PSUs to adhere to timelines,but I guess it's made as much impact as swacch bharath
Don't worry bro they will deliver a fifth generation combat aircraft on time. Metal cutting has started. Any day now.

skunk works

Country flag
Indeed, there is an inherent distrust and condescending attitude in IA and IAF for Made in Bharath stuff, even if its from a well qualified Pvt company like Tonbo. Past history of pathetic quality OFB stuff is certainly part of the reason for this, as well as PSU performance during the past 60 or so years. But to still continue the same thinking for established pvt players like Kalyani with ATAGS, Tonbo with their proven NVGs , L&T etc.. reeks of corruption if I may say so. Such behaviour with PSU may be tolerated due to their past history, but for the above pvt players one simply cannot condone it.
Now wait for smug c***s to go "haha where did you get that deadline from haha HAL CEO never said it haha totally fake deadline haha"

SUPERPOWER

Country flag
As I say often- corruption or incompetence, it’s hard to differentiate the two but the effects are the same.

unless it’s imports the Indian military are totally incapable of providing a framework to help build
Industry. Until recently they had payment arrears worth 100s of millions of USD to HAL

they even did the same cr@p with a relatively tiny entity like Tonbo for relatively tiny deal sizes

And then they turn around and point fingers at industry and use the lack of capacity at home as justification for their import fixation

View attachment 200024
SEE THE POWER OF IMPORTED INDIAN GENROLS..Modi ji ka Made and Make sab hawa hogaya...Sometimes i feel that Gen Bipin Rawat Sir helicopter accident was not Malfunction but a clear case of Sabotage by Import lobby Indian Genrols...

vin bharat mahan

Kumaoni, Uttarakhand
Country flag
What a shame
These bofoons can't even pay for cleared amount and even the order is just piecemeal
Disgusting
Now I am in doubt Indian army get funds from Pakistan or what
Bcoz it's not them but us who are behaving like beggars
only handful top one's make decisions in three services. so blame goes to these handful people, not whole institution.

vin bharat mahan

Kumaoni, Uttarakhand
Country flag
SEE THE POWER OF IMPORTED INDIAN GENROLS..Modi ji ka Made and Make sab hawa hogaya...Sometimes i feel that Gen Bipin Rawat Sir helicopter accident was not Malfunction but a clear case of Sabotage by Import lobby Indian Genrols...
calm down bro....our import is reducing nd export is rising (2 billion dollar approx) in defense. so we r moving in right direction, although our speed is slow. banning import list is good decision, it will help private companies also.

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars The Botswana in talks to acquire, Tejas fighter, The Talks in advanced stage with HAL, the Move is to counter Namibia and Zimbabwe who operate J 7 fighters and replacement for the CF 5. Potential order for 18 to 24.

Last edited:

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag
We are talking about Tejas Mk1A delays so stick to the topic. The Private sector may not be investing in R&D but they are delivering on time. The indigenous content will increase over time based on the nos. of orders placed. At the rate at which HAL is going Mk1A will hit production in 2025. Mk2 has two PSUs involved therefore even 2030 looks optimistic.
Do you have any concrete proof that the LCA Tejas Mk1A has been delayed or are you just blabbering BS??
Even the TOI article uses the words "probably", they themselves have zero evidence to back the argument they put out

vin bharat mahan

Kumaoni, Uttarakhand
Country flag
If u think such a big institution is being handled by just few men sorry u need to learn more bro
handling institution nd making decision for defence procurement r two seprate thing....tell me how many genrals etc sit near defense ministry for procurement plans?? i m guessing very few. those guys r culprits. nobody in army etc can challenge/object them due to their siniority.

Last edited:

jai jaganath

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
handling institution nd making decision for defence procurement r two seprate thing....tell me how many genrals etc sit near defense ministry for procurement plans?? i m guessing very few. those guys r culprits. nobody in army etc can challenge/object them due to their siniority.
Things don't go straight up it has to go through many desks
Yeah most of them might not be involved but atleast 15-20% are surely and they aren't small nos
Procurement doesn't go to mod in first infact people sitting in mod have done a lot good to our industry be it high tier bureaucrats or few high tier generals again I specify few they have contributed but many have done a lot harm
First these lobby doesn't attract them first these officers are thought by their old school gernails that how foreign equipments are superior and underperformed our equipments and I partially agree with them but if ur child is bad then u have to make him good not just leave him
This is what these officers when come to higher positions do and as usual lobby attracts them towards kickbacks
U think just high tier generals are responsible yes they are but a lot are responsible who are involved in procedures where they send their reports
Few of those high tier officers and mod bureaucrats shove mk1a into iaf throat and u must be k owing rksb contribution
There are lot of such examples
Statement like few involved only higher officers involved are just vague and lack logic
Every category of people are involved in our today's dire state be it mod or military but few exist who work day and night to fail those lobbyists

Roland55

Country flag
Idk if you already shared this, but im surprised this didnt have much covering

In other news, i recently stumbled with some info regarding the possible argentine deal, the MoD sent a letter requiring a plan for the replacement of components (12 aircraft) but HAL didnt sent anything back.

Rajaraja Chola

Country flag
Idk if you already shared this, but im surprised this didnt have much covering

In other news, i recently stumbled with some info regarding the possible argentine deal, the MoD sent a letter requiring a plan for the replacement of components (12 aircraft) but HAL didnt sent anything back.
Not sure how serious it is. Our bureaucrats are known to talk big with just an inquiry. If it’s the case, they would have walked into town sitting onto the top of an elephant.
Until unless India actually funds an purchase through low interest loans, I find it hard for the first purchase of Tejas. And Tejas Mk1A is even more costly. With weapons and maintenance it can cost easily 70-75m per aircraft.

Roland55

Country flag
Not sure how serious it is. Our bureaucrats are known to talk big with just an inquiry. If it’s the case, they would have walked into town sitting onto the top of an elephant.
Until unless India actually funds an purchase through low interest loans, I find it hard for the first purchase of Tejas. And Tejas Mk1A is even more costly. With weapons and maintenance it can cost easily 70-75m per aircraft.
I really dont know, i find it very strange to see HAL disregard a possible sale, specially when competing against other options is not really easy (FA-50 eating most of the light market). Lets hope by some miracle the deal progresses in the future.

Raj Malhotra

Country flag

View attachment 200024
destroying indigenous products is part of foreign intelligence tool kit. It does not matter how good an indigenous product is! The Chandigarh lobby will prefer to buy useless imported products to undermine our military.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles