LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Please let the UK worry about what they will do. For us, we should do to them what they do to us when debating Kashmir in their parliament or holding Khalistani referendum in London- i.e. not give a shit!
Yes , man I agree with you, if they can decide and fight the Matter of a country more than 1000 kms away from Them, than why should we not take them Seriously and go ahead and sell Tejas to Argentina. We should care only about our self interest. Agreed !

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
When are we getting Mirage 2000 from UAE, there were some plans? Right?
I believe we were planning to buy second hand mirages from Taiwan ,UAE etc. Not sure what is the current state of This deal Though to be honest. Anyways I don't think so we are going to buy them because we recently bought second hand Mirage 2000s.

FalconZero

Country flag

Is Cairo inviting any other OEM to discuss setting up assembly of fighters/trainers in Egypt or is HAL currently the only OEM in the frame?
That idrw article if you trust them mentions that Egyptian AF has evaluated from other options from Korean, American and Russian OEMs and they are probably looking for doing the same for Tejas trainer maybe. Rest is just masala from 'thinktank' of idrw.

Last time i remember any serious collaboration between Egypt and India seemed to be for our aircraft HAL Marut, Egypt was supposed to deliver the engine but it didn't work out at the end.
>In 1967, a single Marut was used as a testbed for the Egyptian indigenously-developed Brandner E-300 engine.[19] The Indian team was recalled in July 1969, while the Egypt-based Marut was abandoned.

From wiki.

This is just fantasy but i wonder about the probability of HAL and Egyptian AF working on MWF in a way that HAL will set up a production unit in Egypt where intiially they will provided LCA trainers and then a case of MWF maybe in future. This will allow HAL to expand the capacity of MWF, create a deeper relationship between India and Egypt, pretty unique in a way.

If things work out.

Spitfire9

Country flag
That idrw article if you trust them mentions that Egyptian AF has evaluated from other options from Korean, American and Russian OEMs and they are probably looking for doing the same for Tejas trainer maybe. Rest is just masala from 'thinktank' of idrw.
Yes but were they thinking of assembly in Egypt or just evaluating the aircraft concerned with a view to possibly ordering some?

FalconZero

Country flag
Yes but were they thinking of assembly in Egypt or just evaluating the aircraft concerned with a view to possibly ordering some?
I kinda trust ajai shukla on matter related to domestic equipments of India,
From his article,

Interest from Egypt
Another reason for fielding the Tejas in the Dubai Air Show is to test the waters in West Asia. One possibility is Egypt, but that will require weaning Cairo off US platforms, which Washington has long supplied at subsidized rates.

“We are going to Egypt for that reason. The idea is to manufacture the Tejas there by setting up a factory for them over there,” says the HAL chief.
Pretty much this is what being recycled by every media house in their over excitement. I really hate it because if it doesn't work then we will have egg on our faces.

Either way, going by the logic, it will obviously have to go through their evaluation and then discussion related to cost factor including the assembly lines in egypt maybe as a proposition from HAL.

IndianHawk

Country flag
I kinda trust ajai shukla on matter related to domestic equipments of India,
From his article,

Pretty much this is what being recycled by every media house in their over excitement. I really hate it because if it doesn't work then we will have egg on our faces.

Either way, going by the logic, it will obviously have to go through their evaluation and then discussion related to cost factor including the assembly lines in egypt maybe as a proposition from HAL.
No such things as egg on face in such matters. Military exports are notorious for corruption / over marketing / influence. Look at gripen marketing.

All these posts create momentum about jets spread information etc .

Even if we loose we can point to multiple factors from geopolitics to corruption etc. But we gotta go out all guns blazing.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Holyshit. Times really are changing! I don't know which to be shocked more by, HAL doing back to back Tejas pitch or an Air Marshal confirming IRDW story. 🤣

These sorts of things take a long long time to figure out and I don't think HAL has the geopolitical might to make any serious push for this.

+ Egypt has no aerospace industry to speak of, it seems perhaps unwise to contemplate anything related to local assembly/maintenance when the human capital and industrial base is basically nonexistent. HAL has absolutely ZERO experience in this kind of a gargantuan task, they have handheld Indian industry to become tier 2/3 suppliers to them but I don't think they have the expertise to do this in another country and especially not an Arab country with absolutely ZERO industry. This just looks like a recipe for disaster and not something that the LCA deserves to have its unblemished service reputation sacrificed for.

++ the US could play a spoiler with respect to the F404 approval.

IndianHawk

Country flag
These sorts of things take a long long time to figure out and I don't think HAL has the geopolitical might to make any serious push for this.

+ Egypt has no aerospace industry to speak of, it seems perhaps unwise to contemplate anything related to local assembly/maintenance when the human capital and industrial base is basically nonexistent. HAL has absolutely ZERO experience in this kind of a gargantuan task, they have handheld Indian industry to become tier 2/3 suppliers to them but I don't think they have the expertise to do this in another country and especially not an Arab country with absolutely ZERO industry. This just looks like a recipe for disaster and not something that the LCA deserves to have its unblemished service reputation sacrificed for.

++ the US could play a spoiler with respect to the F404 approval.
US needs india to be net security provider in indian ocean region which means integration of India into usa alliance network. Egypt is part of that.

abingdonboy

Country flag
US needs india to be net security provider in indian ocean region which means integration of India into usa alliance network. Egypt is part of that.
Those are just Washington DC think tank talking points, in 10-15 years the US isn't going to play as nice with India as they are today

As soon as India starts to pose a threat to their $$$ they will hamper such efforts

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles