LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
Better we sell to argentina first , it's a small order .
Lets see if HAL can complete that on time.

lcafanboy

Country flag

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
If it is license manufacturing in Egypt , then it's a possibility. But let's wait. Man I think Mudi baba wants to export Tejas as part of his 75th Independence Anniversary day plan and show people that India can be a major defence exporter in future
It is offered with Transfer of Technology as well

Dessert Storm

Country flag
Wow, i wasn't expecing HAL to really be interested in offering Tejas :eek1:, hope the final price ends up close to the 40MU$
The Malaysian offer is close to 40 Mil. The Argentinian one would probably cost more because of replacement of 50 components with substitutes. The said components 'may' be Argentina specific, so they might need to pay a bit more than the usual price. However, the price increment or otherwise may also be dictated by what sort of natural resources and/or commercial benefits are available to India.
Before the pandemic, Argentina had 19 bioethanol plants and 33 biodiesel plants in operation, capable of producing 1.4 billion liters per year and 700 billion liters per year respectively (refer source).
Argentina contains more than 80% of the world’s lithium brine reserves just in the Puna Plateau in the northwest (refer source).
Source: https://www.azomining.com/amp/article.aspx?ArticleID=21

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
The Malaysian offer is close to 40 Mil. The Argentinian one would probably cost more because of replacement of 50 components with substitutes. The said components 'may' be Argentina specific, so they might need to pay a bit more than the usual price. However, the price increment or otherwise may also be dictated by what sort of natural resources and/or commercial benefits are available to India.
Before the pandemic, Argentina had 19 bioethanol plants and 33 biodiesel plants in operation, capable of producing 1.4 billion liters per year and 700 billion liters per year respectively (refer source).
Argentina contains more than 80% of the world’s lithium brine reserves just in the Puna Plateau in the northwest (refer source).
Source: https://www.azomining.com/amp/article.aspx?ArticleID=21
Payment with palm oil and payment with Lithium, great 👍🏻!

IndianHawk

Country flag
It's important to note that Egyptian purchase are mostly bank rolled by Saudi and other arab partners. This islamic block is directly opposed to Turkey led block which has Iran and Qatar and now pakistan in influence.

So recent india -usa -uae -israel meet may have influenced this. But ultimately Egypt is not independent in decision making.

IndianHawk

Country flag
Im going to try to sum it up, but the choice was always towards a 4th gen (or 3+ when talking about the Kfir or F-1). With the UK cancelling access to the Gripen and FA-50 (and the US not offering anything) it all boiled down to what we call "unconventional suppliers" (Russia, China) and well...those were the offers, FC-1/JF-17, Any of the Mig-29 family...

Im surprised that india went with it, specially when the Uk is such a present nation in terms of defense partnership, Nonetheless i would like to see this go though. Well....as long as it give us access to Mk.2 :devil:
I think there is understanding among india us and uk about this. Argentina is going to buy fighter jets one way or another. So it is better that it buys from india rater then china or Russia which are direct enemies of uk and usa. And so long as uk is in NATO a few jets aren't going to change military balance that much. They would mostly be for self defence.

IndianHawk

Country flag
What I don't understand in Argentina's case is, what the hell do they want? Mig 29 , mig 35 is in different class to mk1a
Mig35 will invite CAStAA sanction on argentina and their economy is alredy suffering.
Jf17 will also be seen as an anti Western purchase which has it's own diplomatic consequences with America france and Germany.
Tejas is a much safer bet diplomatically .

Spitfire9

Country flag
I think there is understanding among india us and uk about this. Argentina is going to buy fighter jets one way or another. So it is better that it buys from india rater then china or Russia which are direct enemies of uk and usa. And so long as uk is in NATO a few jets aren't going to change military balance that much. They would mostly be for self defence.
Not trying to make a political point here but UK was in NATO when Argentina invaded the South Atlantic Islands and I do not recall NATO countries coming to the defence of the islanders.

My take is this: a lot of work would be required to substitute UK components of Mk1A and all that work for just one customer buying a small number of airframes seems pointless. Increase the cost of Mk1A too much and the potential customer will opt for something else.

Roland55

Country flag
My take is this: a lot of work would be required to substitute UK components of Mk1A and all that work for just one customer buying a small number of airframes seems pointless. Increase the cost of Mk1A too much and the potential customer will opt for something else.
Were talking about the Mk.1A, an aircraft that hasn't even rolled out of HAL itself, the change in components depends a lot on what the FAA wants...maybe they'll change just the 3 main components, Seat, probe and Radome (although i think the seat could remain, as it is currently in service in Arg) and have it without much change in the cost.

IndianHawk

Country flag
Not trying to make a political point here but UK was in NATO when Argentina invaded the South Atlantic Islands and I do not recall NATO countries coming to the defence of the islanders.

1. They didn't come to Help UK because in 1982 UK was seen as major power ( second only to usa and ussr) and was seen capable of defeating argentina alone. When Uk faced difficulties usa helped them in the background so as not to embarrass them openly.

2. Components replacement won't be only for argentina but may be useful for many other nations . We are anyway on the process to indeginise as much components as possible. So it's a good in the long run.

Spitfire9

Country flag
1. They didn't come to Help UK because in 1982 UK was seen as major power ( second only to usa and ussr) and was seen capable of defeating argentina alone. When Uk faced difficulties usa helped them in the background so as not to embarrass them openly.
Sure but what I meant was that there was not a NATO task force actively opposing the invasion.

2. Components replacement won't be only for argentina but may be useful for many other nations . We are anyway on the process to indeginise as much components as possible. So it's a good in the long run.
Of course, the objective is for Indian aircraft to become Indian. A major problem is the engine, a minor one the ejection seat.

I recall when I was a kid reading a book written by MB's chief test victim. Astonishing that the guy was not crippled when they started testing rocket powered seats running along rails on the ground.

abingdonboy

Country flag
I really underestimated the modernity of the manufacture and design of the LCA, under its skin it's a thoroughly modern piece of equipment.

Quadruplex FBW was known but it has Quadruplex redundancy for even the hydraulics and electrical systems

Brake and nose wheel steering by wire! I always assumed it was a hydraulic link between the pedals and the landing gear.

It's not worthy of mention but it's the way this game is played- compared to the JF-17, LCA is totally in a different class. JF-17 is made and designed to methodology from the 1970s (and earlier), it is a souped up MiG-21 at most. LCA from the ground up has been designed as a 21st century machine and ADA/HAL having mastery of these design elements puts them on a very strong base for future projects.

Tang

Country flag
I really underestimated the modernity of the manufacture and design of the LCA, under its skin it's a thoroughly modern piece of equipment.

Quadruplex FBW was known but it has Quadruplex redundancy for even the hydraulics and electrical systems

Brake and nose wheel steering by wire! I always assumed it was a hydraulic link between the pedals and the landing gear.

It's not worthy of mention but it's the way this game is played- compared to the JF-17, LCA is totally in a different class. JF-17 is made and designed to methodology from the 1970s (and earlier), it is a souped up MiG-21 at most. LCA from the ground up has been designed as a 21st century machine and ADA/HAL having mastery of these design elements puts them on a very strong base for future projects.
LCA is far better than even Su30MKI & F16 in terms of design and architecture.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles