LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

FalconZero

Country flag
Me is confused now. Do you guys think that HAL messed up the news? It seems that 2 FOC and 1 IOC Tejas are in Dubai not 3 FOC.

Because if that's the case then,
huh.png

This particular tejas will have the tail number LA-5028 not LA-5008 because only IOC variants have tail numbers ranging from LA-5001 to LA-5016 and FOC variants from LA-5017 onwards till 5032 after which i guess trainers will be numbered unless there's some changes.

But only reason i am uncertain is because, why will you fly out your FOC variant without a fuel probe? That means it is most probably the 8th IOC variant not FOC and HAL messed up in their tweet.

Also, only one pic has clear tail number and that is LA-5022, basically the 6th FOC variant of Tejas. Pretty neat.

Interestingly, we saw the glimpse(technically it was the highlight of the video) of LA-5022 (aka Sp-26/22 aka 6th FOC) earlier in episode 1 of the AKM's video and coincidently i used it as an example in my old post here,
Also, it has been mentioned before at one point but just wanted to state clearly that Tejas actually sports two numbers or serial ids whatever you call it.

At the tail you will get the new numbering style where they start the counting of FOC variants from 17 onwards. But at the side ways you will also see the old serial id.
Here's the SP26 (old) or Sp22(new notation),
View attachment 116788
View attachment 116790
Video link here,
video with timestamp on
So what is it? If it is 5028 then that's a direct confirmation that we have 12th FOC ready and was probably ready for some time since HAL and IAF are probably going to use it for Airshow. Pretty big news desu.

LakshmanPST7

Country flag
3 FOC variants of Tejas at Dubai to take part in Dubai Airshow 2021.
Interesting thing is that one of the FOC variants seems to lack the refuelling probe. Anyone got more details on them tail numbers?
Based on other photos posted--->
One is LA5020 (HAL numbering SP24) [I identified it based on number on the wheel door],
2nd one is LA5022 (HAL numbering SP26) [Tail number clearly visible]
3rd one could not be identified...

Last edited:

FalconZero

Country flag
Might be an IOC (the radome is a bit dirtier?), nonetheless...i would love them to give us a few more pixels in resolution hehe...could help clear things out! :rofl:
I hate the twitter compression, this is not 90s where we are constraint by HDD size or internet speed. Twitter is not some startup, it's a multibillion-dollar platform and their state it absolute disaster.
FUCK TWITTER.png

Hopefully, some noobs managed to record the videos and post it on youtube. That's the only hope for now.

abingdonboy

Country flag
From, IRDW..

HAL and IAF have agreed to Jointly develop Tejas lead-in fighter trainer (LIFT) variant based on the Tejas Trainer airframe for which it has got in-principal approval for the development of the Tejas LIFT from IAF and also procurement projection of 30-40 jets from the IAF while HAL is trying also to get Navy onboard the program as well.

HAL plans to demonstrate Tejas LIFT Flying Test Bed by 2024-25 using one of the Trainer aircraft that could be followed with user trials and orders. HAL is also in talks with the Indian Navy to seal a deal for 8 LCA-Navy aircraft that could be used to train pilots for deck-based operations and also for combat roles even though the Navy has rejected plans to procure them in large numbers but has shown interest in smaller numbers while it's backing TEDBF Project.
The IAF agreeing (in principle) to a LIFT project based on LCA (SPORT?) is an interesting development and not something that has been publicised before.

I just wonder how this fits into the IAF’s already relatively bloated 4 stage training regimen

BTA-IJT-AJT-OCU

(I say bloated because many other airforces have long back moved to 3 stage training). I suppose they could remove IJT and have LIFT after AJT? It’s not like they are overly eager to get the Sitara now and the Kiran is long since due to be retired.

the navy absolutely should induct the NLCA for LIFT/carrier qualification role merely to save the lives of their 29KUBs that are already depleting and have to limp until TEDBF

+ not the appropriate thread but have they confirmed if there will be a 2 seat TEDBF?

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
X-posting from BRF...
http://idrw.org/with-83-orders-in-the-k ... ore-267773

LIFT: HAL and IAF have agreed to Jointly develop Tejas lead-in fighter trainer (LIFT) variant based on the Tejas Trainer airframe for which it has got in-principal approval for the development of the Tejas LIFT from IAF and also procurement projection of 30-40 jets from the IAF. While HAL plans to demonstrate Tejas LIFT Flying Test Bed by 2024-25 using one of the Trainer aircraft that could be followed with user trials and orders.

NLCA: HAL is trying also to get Navy onboard the program as well. HAL is in talks with the Indian Navy to seal a deal for 8 LCA-Navy aircraft that could be used to train pilots for deck-based operations and also for combat roles even though the Navy has rejected plans to procure them in large numbers but has shown interest in smaller numbers while it's backing TEDBF Project.

Tejas-Max: HAL has tied up with Bangalore based startup, NewSpace Research and Technologies (NRT) for the development of Loyal Wingman Program called CATS Warrior, where HAL plans to use Tejas Trainer aircraft has Max (Mothership) to guide the Loyal Wingman Program with a customized second cockpit for the Remote Pilot to operate them. HAL sees potential orders for at least 12-18 Tejas-Max aircraft once the program hits production.

TejEx: To lure countries looking for a low-cost option, HAL also has plans to develop a low-cost aircraft called Tejas Ex(port) that will be customized to further reduce costs by removing components that are not required or requested by the potential operator. HAL planning to set up logistic bases in four countries to push exports.

I just wonder how this fits into the IAF’s already relatively bloated 4 stage training regimen

+ not the appropriate thread but have they confirmed if there will be a 2 seat TEDBF?
They're ordering IJT & fawning over armed Hawk-i, so I'd hazard a guess that AJT will be replaced by LIFT. It's point is to serve as light attack aircraft as well as trainer.

MWF is to have no seperate trainer, far too similar at interface & behaviour, I expect. Teddy is harder. No official plans for twin-seaters & IN might order NLCA as trainer too, but I've seen this...

maxresdefault.jpg

Vamsi

Country flag
X-posting from BRF...

LIFT: HAL and IAF have agreed to Jointly develop Tejas lead-in fighter trainer (LIFT) variant based on the Tejas Trainer airframe for which it has got in-principal approval for the development of the Tejas LIFT from IAF and also procurement projection of 30-40 jets from the IAF. While HAL plans to demonstrate Tejas LIFT Flying Test Bed by 2024-25 using one of the Trainer aircraft that could be followed with user trials and orders.

NLCA: HAL is trying also to get Navy onboard the program as well. HAL is in talks with the Indian Navy to seal a deal for 8 LCA-Navy aircraft that could be used to train pilots for deck-based operations and also for combat roles even though the Navy has rejected plans to procure them in large numbers but has shown interest in smaller numbers while it's backing TEDBF Project.

Tejas-Max: HAL has tied up with Bangalore based startup, NewSpace Research and Technologies (NRT) for the development of Loyal Wingman Program called CATS Warrior, where HAL plans to use Tejas Trainer aircraft has Max (Mothership) to guide the Loyal Wingman Program with a customized second cockpit for the Remote Pilot to operate them. HAL sees potential orders for at least 12-18 Tejas-Max aircraft once the program hits production.

TejEx: To lure countries looking for a low-cost option, HAL also has plans to develop a low-cost aircraft called Tejas Ex(port) that will be customized to further reduce costs by removing components that are not required or requested by the potential operator. HAL planning to set up logistic bases in four countries to push exports.

They're ordering IJT & fawning over armed Hawk-i, so I'd hazard a guess that AJT will be replaced by LIFT. It's point is to serve as light attack aircraft as well as trainer.

MWF is to have no seperate trainer, far too similar at interface & behaviour, I expect. Teddy is harder. No official plans for twin-seaters & IN might order NLCA as trainer too, but I've seen this...

View attachment 118938
Will the 8NLCAs of the Navy's speculated order use "LAD" and "side stick" similar to SPORT or will they use normal cockpit ?

abingdonboy

Country flag
X-posting from BRF...

View attachment 118938
Good summary, as expected once the design is mature there's plenty of options available.

I see no reason why the IAF would get rid of their 100+ AJT any time soon, they are all relatively new. Instead it's clear the HJT-36 has no chance of seeing service

Few things to b noted:
1. The 75 yr rule is for BJP.
2. President of India is not PM's subordinate.
3. The President of India cannot be a member of any party (AFAIK), once he/she becomes the President.
4. The current President turned 76 on 1st October but did not remit office, whereas Anandiben Patel had to resign as CM, once she turned 76.
Edit: If some sort of precedent is set by electing 75+ as President, when NDA is in power, that would be a clear signal of things to come.
What does India gain with Modi as president? That's asking for some Russian/Putin style shenanigans. Nah, Modi will leave public life altogether in 2026 I am 75% certain of it, he'll either go back to Gujarat or the mountains, he is almost certain to leave the cesspit of Delhi and never return.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Will the 8NLCAs of the Navy's speculated order use "LAD" and "side stick" similar to SPORT or will they use normal cockpit ?
They'll likely be 'regular' NLCA MK.1s. BUT if TEDBF is coming with side stick then it would be smart for the IN to got for a carrier version of SPORT, maybe they will for for the 8 N-LCA Mk.1 trainers and then get some N-SPORT as part of the TEDBF package like the IAF did with the 73 MK1A.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Don't know.. But given the LIFT will only be prototyped in 2024, it may be same as Trainer if they order now. On the other hand of the want it to be advanced naval trainer for Teddy & Mig-29 both, then they'd need the latter.
So yea, i truely don't know.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles