LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

Satish Sharma

Country flag
Astra still not integrated with LCA but we have integrated imported MICA, derby, R-73, Python, R-77. Astra project was started as BVR AAM for LCA in 1989, only 34 yrs passed
Who said astra project was started in 1989 ??
It began in 2013.
Before that they made some missiles in 2003 & 2007,8
In 1989 initial studies were conducted some technologies were in development on which in 2000s they made a missile which had only 40-50km range and 300kg weight which was then again reduce after some year by 130kg and it was still not fullfiling iafs needs.. even though it had descent range still iaf had got taste of r27 they wanted some thing best from day 1.. then in 2013 everything was scrapped radical changes were done a completely new missile was build on Americans philosophy,kinematics like 178mm diameter. Similar kind of length, along with smokeless fuel... It was ready in some 5-6 years later it's wings there changed some cropped deltas what it is today.. initial 50 had Russia agat seekers then our aesa seeker replaced it..
Now astra is mosts potent missile.
Here is one older astra missile & below that with modified wings for less drag.

Astra_missile_launched_from_a_ground-based_launcher.jpg

images (15).jpeg

Some great images of astra on Tejas & su30

images (20).jpeg

images (19).jpeg

images (17).jpeg

images (16).jpeg

Satish Sharma

Country flag
I hope is that... It's only sensible. Tejas doesn't need another radar-homing BVR, it needs one with IR-guidance that has 80km range while being common with Mirage & Rafale ordnance.
Iaf did a mistake by employing so many types of missiles (although it's challenge for enemy but logistical nightmare).
Now iaf wants mosts its aircraft to fire most of the missile it has.. Su30 has mica & iderby INTEGRATED now. Iaf want to keep that stocks in use on most of its aircraft.. Tejas has all of the missiles iaf uses. except the r27.. mirages have mica &. upgraded mirages will have iderby.. asraam is on jaguars, the iderby Could be on upgraded jags(elm2052)as well. Also there is possibility Of meteor on su30 & Tejas when upgraded to indigeneous radars. Having crown jewel like meteor limited to only one aircraft is definetely costly...
This is nightmare for enemy..

Iaf's backbone for bvr will be astra mk1,mk2,mk3 missiles..
and NGCCM-asraam will be the default CCM. With domestic IR seeker.
The long range IR mica comes with a great advantage same as r27EA so iaf is basically replacing r27EA with mica on su30 and also getting it on Tejas & mirages already have them..

this 5 missiles will be backbone of iaf.. we will have unparalleled upper hand on western front..

We should starts negotiating with frenchs for integrating Astra series & asraam on rafale..
those French fries don't want it but for dhando but we should have done done it way back..
Astra ir plan has been dropped as it would have taken significant changes as CCMs required very high turning capabilities, Cooling system for seeker
Instead going for asraam was great idea with some tot and making it at home. Britishers spent some 4-5 billion pounds on asraam alone as usa &.Germany left the venture and developed there respective missiles instead.. we had bargaining advantage on table. It seems we leveraged it as they are letting us manufacture it in india, with our seeker, and also some tot Is given to us...

Last edited:

Physx32

Country flag
Yeah it's a cheap knock off initially I thought it could be great radar as it was made by raytheon but looking at it's nose size and it's weight it is not match for a uttam of mk1A. Probably they are compensating the performance with GaN. It's very small aircraft even smaller than Tejas in length probably it couldn't accomodate liquid cooling to squize out all performance.. the ta50 uses elm 2032 ta50 further advanced for multirole into fa50 with this radar.. we can say it will be better than elm2032...(any idea about its performance)
Talking about its weight which is just 70kg ,whereas some years ago I read somewhere the 736 trms baseline uttam weights 120kg ,, it also mentioned it was 40kg heavier compared to now I don't wheather they were talking about elm 2032 or 2052...
968trms Uttam will be better..
Maybe Tejas mk2s radar could be used in 97 Tejas orders.. GaN based,
mk2 has smaller nose cone than mk1a.

Although I m kind of have jealous with fa50 it is just getting better and better although in radar & missiles. And A2G capabilities it wouldn't surpass Tejas , but it kind of threatens Tejas potential sells.
Now they have added a CFTs to it fa50 has 2655litres fuel now CFTs have additional 1135litres this total is 3145kg ,550kg more than Tejas's 3000litres or 2600kg...
Hope out babus think of improving Tejas more
better they add a bigger spine CFT.
Generally you can't easily compare a GaN based radar to a GaAs radar just by seeing number of tr modules and aperture as GaN is more efficient.

As for that Raytheon phantom strike radar, it seems me that it's designed for UAVs. Still can't say for sure. Do have any details of the cooling system used in AN/APG 79 V4 (another GaN radar)?

Satish Sharma

Country flag
Generally you can't easily compare a GaN based radar to a GaAs radar just by seeing number of tr modules and aperture as GaN is more efficient.

As for that Raytheon phantom strike radar, it seems me that it's designed for UAVs. Still can't say for sure. Do have any details of the cooling system used in AN/APG 79 V4 (another GaN radar)?
If it is on fa18 series aircraft then it's air cooled and this one is also air-cooled.
As we said earlier it's nose cone is very small and it could be using GaN just to compensate the size. the aircraft size is very small it will be having air cooled system instead of liquid cooled which can squeeze more performance from any radar..
Also it's is just 70kg I told back then the uttam baseline weighed 120kg which was 736 trms.. so this phantom strike is nothing but just a Kam chalau for a airforce of Philippines... It cannot come close to 992trms uttam mk2

Last edited:

Satish Sharma

Country flag

The APG 79 v4 is very capable radar the f18.hornets couldn't fit the super hornets radar so they had made a v4 of it but based on GaN it's performance was better than super hornets GaAs based radar which it has right now. Super hornets had better engine more power bigger nose size to.fit.bigger.radar. still gan based had better Performance.. That's why block 3 f18.SH are coming with GaN based radars . The first ever fighter to get gan is upgraded f18.hornets actually..

Last edited:

MirageBlue

Country flag
That particular Twitter poster never gives sources. Irritating.

But this MICA firing from Tejas Mk1 would be a big surprise. We have decent stocks of MICA EM and IR missiles (493 were acquired with the Mirage-2000-I upgrade and 350 MICA-EM and IR with the Rafale deal), but hadn't heard of any integration with the Tejas Mk1.

Given that the Tejas Mk1/A is integrated with the longer range Astra Mk1 and will be integrated with Astra Mk2 later, not sure what benefit is there to use the shorter range MICA-EM BVRAAM.

Satish Sharma

Country flag
That particular Twitter poster never gives sources. Irritating.

But this MICA firing from Tejas Mk1 would be a big surprise. We have decent stocks of MICA EM and IR missiles (493 were acquired with the Mirage-2000-I upgrade and 350 MICA-EM and IR with the Rafale deal), but hadn't heard of any integration with the Tejas Mk1.

Given that the Tejas Mk1/A is integrated with the longer range Astra Mk1 and will be integrated with Astra Mk2 later, not sure what benefit is there to use the shorter range MICA-EM BVRAAM.
Next day new news surfaced and was also reported by indian defence updates, that india will be testing mica on Tejas 'not yet'
Iaf want to make some use of its big stocks..

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
When the prototype of FCAS’s new gen Jet Engine will likely to be made?
The first flight of the NGF demonstrator was expected in 2027. I think it already have slipped to 2029.
The new engine had to be ready for that time.
But it will be an interim engine, probably less powerfull than the definitive one, as the demonstrator will mainly be tested in a clean and pure air to air config, so light.

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
This is official news dude Kai some months ago reported there whole other bunch of new thing for fa50 block 20 upgrade..
And spine carries way more fuel it is not that small it look in photos like that..
Those side CFTs look big but they are actually smallers they are removal..each one is smaller to the spine..

For you're knowledge f16s spinal CFT it's not CFT it's more like enlarged spine.. anyways this f16 was able to carry 850litres fuel And many avionics like ELTA's jammers EW suits also 1 additional chaff and flares disappear on both side...
(Normal f16 has 2 on both side)
SPine accomodate more fuel it's volume is more than this those 2x CFTs of f16 which carry 700kg each compared to 1x705kg..
It is similar anyways. But spine is accomodating avionics very few f16 have internal jammers this one has that capabilities..
I read this on British forums some years ago..
View attachment 240143 View attachment 240144
also the vertical stabilizer carry some fuel already.
anyways you can just see the breath of both..
No fuel in the F16 vertical fin. I'm nearly sure.

NutCracker

Country flag
The first flight of the NGF demonstrator was expected in 2027. I think it already have slipped to 2029.
The new engine had to be ready for that time.
But it will be an interim engine, probably less powerfull than the definitive one, as the demonstrator will mainly be tested in a clean and pure air to air config, so light.
So it can be M88's 100kN variant.

And then if India-France JV engine deal goes through, AMCA and FCAS will fly with 120+kN engine in 2035+. That engine can have some 5th gen features, higher E-power generation

BON PLAN

-*-
Contributor
Country flag
So it can be M88's 100kN variant.

And then if India-France JV engine deal goes through, AMCA and FCAS will fly with 120+kN engine in 2035+. That engine can have some 5th gen features, higher E-power generation
I think an Indian France JV is the plan B in case of a FCAS failure....

Global Defence

New threads

Articles