LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
It is counted on half fuel as when the plane engages in any sort of combat, its tank is never full.
Never heard of such practice. Source?

Adjusting to multiple of 5 has no logic. Evenif you do that, it comes to near rounding figure of 90 KN and 100 KN and not 85 KN and 95 KN.
Military thrust is lesser than what's max achieved, not greater... HVT confirmed 85kN for Tejas, so I went 95kN to 98 for F414 & 105kN to 110kN for EPE/RR engine.

Last edited:

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Never heard of such practice. Source?

Military thrust is lesser than what's max achieved, not greater... HVT confirmed 85kN for Tejas, so I went 95kN to 98 for F414 & 105kN to 110kN for EPE/RR engine.

Please provide your source.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
I don't need source to say "sun rises in the east", you need source to say it rises in west.

Google it. You'll find it everywhere. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thrust-to-weight_ratio
Power divided by empty weight & fuel weight. For everything... Cars. Rockets. Jets.

Modified with max thrust numbers.
Your sun rises in west to which you call east.

I told you the reason why T/W ratio is calculated with 50% fuel but you are not ready to listen.

Watch this. How he consider T/W ratio while comparing two aircraft.

It is with weight +50% fuel + close combat weapons and afterburner thrust.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Your sun rises in west to which you call east.

I told you the reason why T/W ratio is calculated with 50% fuel but you are not ready to listen.

Watch this. How he consider T/W ratio while comparing two aircraft.

It is with weight +50% fuel + close combat weapons and afterburner thrust.
I know what Power(Thrust) to Weight ratio is in case of any engineering situation... It's a standard value. Not up for discussion or adjustments.

Power divided by empty weight & fuel weight, is the value. Number of missiles carried, or the weight of the pilot aren't included in the figure.

He is trying to cheat by distorting numbers, to make viewers feel better.... If you really want to play that game then consider external fuel tanks. Your jet will have FULL INTERNAL FUEL, just after if jettisons its drop-tanks & starts maneuvering.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
I know what Power(Thrust) to Weight ratio is in case of any engineering situation... It's a standard value. Not up for discussion or adjustments.

Power divided by empty weight & fuel weight, is the value. Number of missiles carried, or the weight of the pilot aren't a factor.

He is trying to cheat by distorting numbers, to make viewers feel better.... If you really want to play that game then consider external fuel tanks. Your jet will have FULL INTERNAL FUEL, just after if jettisons its drop-tanks & starts maneuvering.
It is you who is doing all adjustments by altering thrust data.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
It is you who is doing all adjustments by altering thrust data.
Ok. You don't seem to understand why I'm doing what. Unadjusted numbers here: https://defenceforumindia.com/threads/ada-tejas-mark-ii-medium-weight-fighter.45058/post-1851788

Thrust to weight ratio is a rough value of the engine thrust divided by weight, ie, the weight of the platform & the fuel carries. Often the actual military thrust data is considered, to get a more accurate T/W value.
But that doesn't mean we include the weight of missiles carried or how fat the pilot is... Then I'd have to include weight of 2 AAMs for Tejas & 4 AAMs for MWF. Realistically the value will also change differently with time, as the more powerful F414 burns more fuel.

BlackViking

Country flag
Ok. You don't seem to understand why I'm doing what.

Thrust to weight ratio is a rough value of the engine thrust divided by weight, ie, the weight of the platform & the fuel carries. Often the actual military thrust data is considered, to get a more accurate T/W value.
But that doesn't mean we include the weight of missiles carried or how fat the pilot is... Then I'd have to include weight of 2 AAMs for Tejas & 4 AAMs for MWF. Realistically the value will also change differently with time, as the more powerful F414 burns more fuel.
There is a general/standard measurement and there is an instantaneous measurement. We cannot argue on the instantaneous one here as we don't have data. The standard ones that you as well @HariPrasad-1 are talking of are correct according to the perception. No one's wrong here.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
There is a general/standard measurement and there is an instantaneous measurement. We cannot argue on the instantaneous one here as we don't have data. The standard ones that you as well @HariPrasad-1 are talking of are correct according to the perception. No one's wrong here.
I got his reasoning but why 50% tho, why not 80% (see the issue with that sort of estimated adjustment?) And if you've entered a dogfight with 50% fuel, you may be completely fucked in minutes!

Any pilot worth his pay, will try to keep internal fuel to its highest by burning from drop-tanks until the last moment before he has to start hard maneuvering.

Last edited:

BlackViking

Country flag
I got his reasoning but why 50% tho, why not 80% (see the issue with that sort of adjustment?) And if you've entered a dogfight with 50% fuel, you may be completely fucked in minutes!

Any pilot worth his pay, will try to keep internal fuel to its highest by burning from drop-tanks until he has to start hard maneuvering.
Yup I also don't get the reasoning behind the 50% figure but I will leave it up to @HariPrasad-1 if he can throw some light to it.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Yup I also don't get the reasoning behind the 50% figure but I will leave it up to @HariPrasad-1 if he can throw some light to it.

Plane looses the weigh of fuel as soon as it starts. So Weight continuously decreases. By the time it lands back after mission, fuel is almost empty (In many case). Therefore T/W ratio is a changing parameter with passage of time. Therefore when we talk to T/W ratio in various scenario, it is a practice to consider 50% fuel fraction. Watch the video I posted and see how he compares Tejas and JF 17 T/W ratio. You will get an insight. This is the reason why you will get T/W ratio of Tejas above 1 in most of the calculations and not less than 1 as calculated by @Bleh. You will hardly find the numbers as mentioned by bleh.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag

Power divided by empty weight & fuel weight, is the value. Number of missiles carried, or the weight of the pilot aren't included in the figure.

Now you are saying the source a cheat who is a most respectable source. If you are the only one who is right, I rest my case here.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Now you are saying the source a cheat who is a most respectable source. If you are the only one who is right, I rest my case here.
I don't care.... Did you get the reasoning? I tried to explain as best as I could.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles