Kolkata Class Destroyers Update

Bheeshma

All chinese type-052's are inferior in every way to kolkotta or follow on. Just because they taped together a radar like the americans did does not make it even remotely comparable to Aegis system. The only ones who are fooled by their mediocre ships are the chinese themselves. The type-054's are just Kamortas with SSM's not even a match for Talwars. The Type-052c/d will struggle against the Delhi's once they get Brahmos.

Bheeshma

Neither is MF-STAR and Barak-8
Unlike the chinese joke yes the MF-STAR and Barak-8 will be tested by IN and Isreali navy both far superior to PLAN. You simply need to see the pakis begging for old OHP's to know exactly how good the chinese ships are. Heck even Thais refused to go to china after their experience with chinese frigates and prefer korean ships..DW 3000F class

Last edited:

Sea Eagle

mf star and barak are items which israel will mount on its latest ships.....i hold that as ample proof
No just a lame reason. Kolkata are just overhyped destroyers. They are only good for Anti Shipping roles but fails in their primary task i.e to provide area defense to a Carrier Battle Group. Their are more powerful and heavily armed warships in Indian oceanthan Kolkata class destroyers.

nik22

Looks like some vietnamese article comparing Kolkota class and Type-52C. Chinese weapons are never about quality but quantity. So I am not sure if this comparision alone helps.Bluntly put even Shivaliks are superior to Type-054 of any version but quantity also matters.
You are in a delusion if you think all chinese weapon are not of quality.

Bheeshma

You are day dreaming if you think Chinese ships are even remotely as capable as aegis class. They are more hype and very little substance.sticking some Russian hand me down s300s doesn't make them equivalent to Burkes.

Bheeshma

No just a lame reason. Kolkata are just overhyped destroyers. They are only good for Anti Shipping roles but fails in their primary task i.e to provide area defense to a Carrier Battle Group. Their are more powerful and heavily armed warships in Indian oceanthan Kolkata class destroyers.
Yes American and maybe Japanese kongos but certainly no c grade Chinese ship.

right wing

Country flag
vey true..but none from countries on the east of suez....and forget japan and korea,...if the usa doesnt wish,even guidance of their missile systems wudnt work..

right wing

Country flag
You are in a delusion if you think all chinese weapon are not of quality.
well that thailand didnt buy them even at incentivised rates is one good reason...and am not doubting their quality...just looking at specs given..chinese type 52d doesnt look superior in any way to kolkata class....off course it is a good ship and is being mass produced...often many good ships matter than 3 better ships in a contest..

right wing

Country flag
it will join only in 2016..if no further delays and yet it will have only 8 harpoons and 48vls,.system lik the aegis group...very good ..but 15b by 2017..0r 18

Sea Eagle

it will join only in 2016..if no further delays and yet it will have only 8 harpoons and 48vls,.system lik the aegis group...very good ..but 15b by 2017..0r 18
8 Harpoons + 32 SM-2 + 64 ESSM :pound: That's called firepower.
Buy the time all P-15B are commissioned Hobart will have AMDR+SM-6 combo which is miles superior to anything on Indian warships.

right wing

Country flag
8 Harpoons + 32 SM-2 + 64 ESSM :pound: That's called firepower.
Buy the time all P-15B are commissioned Hobart will have AMDR+SM-6 combo which is miles superior to anything on Indian warships.
amdr will not bd any superior than the follow up of elta mf stars on p15b....and p15b.. will have barak er...reducing the gap between aegis n barak systems...often missiles r downed in mid phase..so more than range..accuracy matters...and i can trust israel here....plus brahmos hypersonic and nirbhay...common man...hobart will look like kids,,,,...

Bheeshma

Aussies won,t get sm6 for a long while. Hobart will have sm2 for next decade or more. Harpoons are outdated they need to get something better.

Sea Eagle

amdr will not bd any superior than the follow up of elta mf stars on p15b
First their is no new MF STAR designed for P-15b just a better Volume Search Radar. Now comparing AMDR with Israeli radars is quite lame.
....and p15b.. will have barak er...reducing the gap between aegis n barak systems...often missiles r downed in mid phase..so more than range..accuracy matters...and i can trust israel here
Do you even know anything about SM-6 ?
....plus brahmos hypersonic and nirbhay...common man...hobart will look like kids,,,,...
The new pictures of P-15b suggest just a 16 cell VLS for BrahMos 1 and another 32 cells for Barak-8ER. Compare it with Hobart after recieving strike VLS. Tomahawks, SM-3, SM-6, ESSM..

rohit b3

Country flag
Oh come on.. Kolkata vs Hobart?

1. Design/Stealth - Considering Hobart Class are variants off Alvaro de Bazan Class, Kolkata's Design is superior and stealthy

2. Air defence as of now - AEGIS is comparable to MF-Star. Hobart will carry 48 missiles(ESSM and RIM) . Kolkata ..64, either through 4 x 16 VLS, or 32 in 4 x 8 VLS + 32 for reload(not clear yet). Agreed RIM-66 has much higher range, but Barak 8 is a new evolved modern technology.
Not too many SAMs can intercept targets as close as 500m.

3. Anti-ship/land - Kolkata class ahead by MILES. 16 x BrahMos vs 8 x Harpoon. NO COMPARISION.

4. Anti-sub - Both comparable.

5. Range - Kolkata class -15000 kms vs Hobart -.9000kms

6. Aviation facilities - Kolkata Class -2 Helis / Hobart Class -1.

Kolkata Class is well superior if you ask me.

Talkin about upgrades in the early next decade...BrahMos -2 , Nirbhay , Barak 8ER and Maitre are on the cards.

WMD

1. Design/Stealth - Considering Hobart Class are variants off Alvaro de Bazan Class, Kolkata's Design is superior and stealthy

2. Air defence as of now - AEGIS is comparable to MF-Star. Hobart will carry 48 missiles(ESSM and RIM) . Kolkata ..64, either through 4 x 16 VLS, or 32 in 4 x 8 VLS + 32 for reload(not clear yet). Agreed RIM-66 has much higher range, but Barak 8 is a new evolved modern technology.

3. Anti-ship/land - Kolkata class ahead by MILES. 16 x BrahMos vs 8 x Harpoon. NO COMPARISION.

Kolkata Class is well superior if you ask me.

Talkin about upgrades in the early next decade...BrahMos -2 , Nirbhay , Barak 8ER and Maitre are on the cards.

48 Mk41 VLS i.e 32 SM-2 (one in each cell)+ 16x4=64 ESSM(quadpacked).
AFAIK P-15A DDGs have heavy torpedos+2 RBU-6000, Hobart class will use light torpedos.

Sea Eagle

Nice Joke ! :pound:

Who said Aegis is comparable to MF STAR ? Some Israeli newspaper ?
500mts engagement with a VLS missile isn't helpful anyway. A system like RAM or FN 3000 is far superior for such engagements.
ESSM can be quad packed mate.
Prasun is a idiot, no need to trust his statements. He has proved wrong a lot of time before.

Agreed. But BrahMos block 1 cannot be used for land targets.
Anyways Kolkata was to provide area defense for Viki and it fails miserably their.

Comparable ? Hobart has a better ASW suit, and better weapon systems.

Hobart's role is to defend Australian mainland frommissile attacks. Range is not problem for them.

Usless comparison, Hobart scores better here too.
Exclusive: Navy, Coast Guard send SOS to Defence Ministry on helicopter crisis : North, News - India Today

Last edited:

Bheeshma

Hobart has very good radar and Air defence but poor anti sub and anti ship capability. It is mostly AAW destroyer. Better ASW ..my ass ? Says who? some third rate US site? Hobart will only move out of Aussie waters when there is a USN carrier to protect it or to challenge SEA navies.:rofl:

rohit b3

Country flag
48 Mk41 VLS i.e 32 SM-2 (one in each cell)+ 16x4=64 ESSM(quadpacked).
AFAIK P-15A DDGs have heavy torpedos+2 RBU-6000, Hobart class will use light torpedos.
Wasnt really familiar with this quadpack concept, though heard the term before in military forums.
But anyways, i cant find any source saying ESSM are quadpacked in 16 VLS....can you please provide me one?

And I guess Heavy torpedos are better than Lighter ones? Right?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles